SPRIGGAN312

Train as a vehicle

this is probably been on the forums at least once, but when playing DAY Z you come across railroads that goes along the coast

and i remember going through elektro and seeing a train attached to a carridge, seeing as i couldn't use it, it made me think:

going along the coast in a freight train with a carridge that could seat up to 10 survivors, plus you and one other survivor up in the conductors compartment of the freight train controling the speed of the train

Train repairs

2x engine parts

6x scrap metal

4x wheels

4x windshield glass

2x fuel tank parts

inventory:

20x weapons

100x normal items (E.g beans, soda, tools)

it's just an idea that i reckon is awesome but i should share this idea with you guys, what do you guys think?

I would like to see an operable train, but there's really nowhere to go.

The tracks as they are now lead to beyond Kamenka. Taking a train off the map, to the debug plains, would be one sure-fire way to break it.

It would be another piece of this "end-game" content people are always going on about.

It could either be a tool for bandits to pillage the entire coast, or an honest to goodness, run on time, helping hand for the community. :thumbsup:

Gotta have train stations at the end of every map so people wont drive off into the void.

Otherwise this seams like a good target for bandits in vehicles :P

Gotta have train stations at the end of every map so people wont drive off into the void.

Otherwise this seams like a good target for bandits in vehicles :P

i think if they tried to ram a train going at high speed, they'd blow up in their vehicles XD

but i reckon the only threat for the train is if someone managed to snipe the driver through the window, blew up the train with satchel cahrges on the tracks, or a M136 launcher hitting the train :P

I like the idea of a train! Would be awesome to transport groups of friends, or bandits, or a way of escaping! There could also be some train wrecks across the map, would be awesome for looting!

Also, with the new underground thing in the arma 3 engine, maybe we could also have underground trains :D Zombies infest the tube!

Only thing that could be considered unbalanced is that they could go too fast. To balance this, have the train acceleration time fairly big (Not too big), or make it so it consumes a lot of fuel?

Great idea, I would love to see it in the game and personally I think the idea of it being attacked by bandits an awesome idea and I love all that kind of stuff :P

this is probably been on the forums at least once, but when playing DAY Z you come across railroads that goes along the coast

and i remember going through elektro and seeing a train attached to a carridge, seeing as i couldn't use it, it made me think:

going along the coast in a freight train with a carridge that could seat up to 10 survivors, plus you and one other survivor up in the conductors compartment of the freight train controling the speed of the train

Train repairs

2x engine parts

6x scrap metal

4x wheels

4x windshield glass

2x fuel tank parts

inventory:

20x weapons

100x normal items (E.g beans, soda, tools)

it's just an idea that i reckon is awesome but i should share this idea with you guys, what do you guys think?

It would be sweet, even better if the tracks had switchable junctions and branch lines that went all over the map including tunnels through the mountains.

Be nice to see coding which enebled the derailing of the train using satrchel charges or other explosives, maybe even track sabotage.

Although it would need much more to repair it than you listed and should store much more gear and carry more players.

• Like 1

You do realsie a standard gauge car could easily hold everyone on the map at one time right? ...

The weapons and other stuff capacity would have to be crazy too.

Also, Locomotives need massive amounts of work to fix, I know this as I work with them on the weekends. It'd probably need 10x or more work than a helicopter to get it going and much, much more fuel.

Instead of a diesel electric locomotive, how about a steam powered loco using harvested wood to power it?

I'd LOVE to have trains running along the coast of Chernarus. Let players signal the train from the already present train stations and have it stop for 5-10 minutes in Elektro, Cherno and Berezino.

Hop off at Elektro, go grab some supplies, kill a couple of Walkers, quickly jump back on and ride up the coast.

I'd love trains, but unless new lines and sidings are added in then they'd be pretty useless. They'd be impossible to hide (since the tracks follow the open ground along the coast) and hence wouldn't be worth such a time investment for most players.

However, add in more lines running inland, with many partially concealed sidings and we may have a winner I think. I can imagine approaching junctions and debating which route to take and then stopping to allow a friend to adjust the junction if need be. It could allow for some flash-raids on Cherno and Elektro from a secret location somewhere inland and would be generally epic to operate.

No idea of the feasibility of adding this though.

There's a mod for that!

BTW when i read the title i thought you had gone mad, train as a vehicle? I wanna be a tank then. I wanna grease my engine and stroke my barrel!

i think if they tried to ram a train going at high speed, they'd blow up in their vehicles XD

but i reckon the only threat for the train is if someone managed to snipe the driver through the window, blew up the train with satchel cahrges on the tracks, or a M136 launcher hitting the train :P

Don't forget a zombie Chuck Norris punch, they can break legs and wheels through walls and doors.