Sign in to follow this  
Ghostdog15 (DayZ)

Workbenches and weapon upgrades

the idea of workbenches. At the moment we ain't exctly tripping over suppressed weapons are we? But if you had the know-how and the right materials why couldn't you build your own? Or if you had a Lee Enfield, why not add a scope to it? Saw off a shotgun, build make shift car parts. The things you could do are endless [almost]. Of course they'd have to be in construction sites or warehouses, some place where you'd see a workbench.

And since we're on the topic of gun additions+workbenches, why not have gun attachments spread around he place, so instead of an M14 starting with a RDS why not make it so you have to find some sights and go to a workbench [if you didn't have a tool kit] to attatch it? And ffs just tell me if it's a good idea or not, i'm pretty sure unless your a trained gunsmith making a suppresor would be hard and what not.

Edited by Ghostdog15
  • Like 2

I´ve always liked the idea of attachments. M4s and such should have underslung rails that can be found. Some snipers should be possible to detach the scope and use iron sights. Pistols should be possible to dual wield with less accuracy / no scoping down the iron sight, etc.

I´m not too known with guns and scopes in real life, so I´m not 100% sure if all snipers can detach scopes and such.

It would be possible to attach scopes to different guns. But you're not going to hit your target with it, until you've adjusted the thing. And the game should involve you having to do so.

I am against making anything beyond simple modifications for weapons, For instance, you're not going to have the technical knowhow to make your own underslung grenade launcher. I could see small straps set on the sides of shotguns for extra shells, holes bored into the solid stocks of rifles to hold extra bullets upon the gun itself, instead of taking up inventory space. See my thread in my sig for that.

Making a suppressor is fairly difficult though. You need precise machinery and you have to know what you're doing. It's possible, I won't say it isn't, but it would be fairly unrealistic for every random survivor to be able to make one.

• Like 1

I agree, it should be advanced. Maybe even for example when you drill you have to drill manually, and if you drill at a wrong place or hit an important part you should destroy or break the gun, for then to have to fix it with parts. I definitely like the idea of having to adjust the scope yourself, considering scopes wont fit perfect on every gun. Underslung rails, silencers, advances equipment like that should´t be craftable by hand, or not craftable at all. Laser pointers should be possible to make with normal weak lasers that you always had fun playing with when you were a kid, which also would require adjustment to make sure it points the right way.

I´d also love to see modification of Melee and thrown weapons, such as spiked bat, spike grenade, gas grenade, etc.

• Like 1

if it were authentic, most guns would just break if a player tries to fix without knowing how, i dont know anything about guns but i know there are manuals for sidearms teaching how to clean, and showing all the little parts, if manuals or books should be read to be able to clean and replace parts, maybe then you wouldnt break the gun, or the possibilty to have someone teach you. But no producing pieces, just looting and maybe replacing parts with other parts that fit your weapon.

You could make a DIY style supressor, it would suck but would supress a little better than a pillow.

Wait, pillows really supress sound? That´s why people never hear me snore?

some things such as ACOGs to an M4 i'm pretty sure all you need are ellon keys [going by a pretty small picture on the EOtech site]

and i don't mean super advanced things like vhanging triggers and shit, just simple things like sawing off the stock or somthing [shoulda been more specific]

I understand what you mean, but if modifications and attachments should be added then it should be pretty advanced.

Any attachment/optics on a picatinny or weaver rail would be easy as pie to swap out. As Riem pointed out, you would need to set your scope every time you move it.

Advanced alteration of weapons requires specific machining equipment, anything more hi-tech than a fresh coat of paint would be pretty much impossible for your average Joe.

EDIT: you could saw the stock off a shotgun if you wanted to, but it would only serve to make it harder to aim.

Edited by Chabowski

Sawing off the end of a shotgun would cut out the choke at the end. The shotgun's spread would be affected, as would the range and accuracy, due to not having the pressure stabilization that a longer barrel would afford you for slugs.

Huh. Misread that.

Anywho, I don't see why you would cut down the stock of a shotgun, unless you want it to be strictly a pistol grip, if it has one. As an added note, it would be neat to be able to reinforce the stocks on some guns so that it would hold up more to using it in a melee aspect, busting locks on doors, etc. I know some shotguns have a lengthened metal portion under the barrel so it can be used as a sort of breaching ram.

the idea of workbenches. At the moment we ain't exctly tripping over suppressed weapons are we? But if you had the know-how and the right materials why couldn't you build your own? Or if you had a Lee Enfield, why not add a scope to it? Saw off a shotgun, build make shift car parts. The things you could do are endless [almost]. Of course they'd have to be in construction sites or warehouses, some place where you'd see a workbench.

And since we're on the topic of gun additions+workbenches, why not have gun attachments spread around he place, so instead of an M14 starting with a RDS why not make it so you have to find some sights and go to a workbench [if you didn't have a tool kit] to attatch it? And ffs just tell me if it's a good idea or not, i'm pretty sure unless your a trained gunsmith making a suppresor would be hard and what not.

* The leenfield in DayZ is not optomised to mount a scope.

* A multitool/tool box is all you need to attach a scope

* A 'suppressor' can be done quite easily, read bellow.

* I'm not against the idea but if you look to my last comment you will see why nothing is likely to happen down this path.

Making a proper, balanced suppressor that fits over or screws onto the barrel is a very fine skill indeed. But making a functional 'suppressor' is acutally pretty easy. It isn't pretty or good looking. All you need is carpet over the end of the barrel (adds weight, needs to not droop in front of barrel). The most common and very effective DIY job would be an oil filter (from a car) suppressor. A filter that could be scavenged from any wreck in chernus. Look it up, works very well.

I´ve always liked the idea of attachments. M4s and such should have underslung rails that can be found. Some snipers should be possible to detach the scope and use iron sights. Pistols should be possible to dual wield with less accuracy / no scoping down the iron sight, etc.

I´m not too known with guns and scopes in real life, so I´m not 100% sure if all snipers can detach scopes and such.

* Scopes are not fixed, armies might use a common scope or a standard issue optic but they all come off. I'd venture that there is not a single rifle made with a *scope* that is fixed

* Many 'snipers' don't have iron sights. Not the m24, as50, barret has flip up emergency sights

* Not picking on you but just the very notion of "snipers", held in this mythical quality apart from all else, shows how fetishised they have become. 'Snipers' are people and sniper rifles are just guns, good and bad points. The most effective sniper in history was a Finn and he used a bolt action rifle.... with iron sights...

some things such as ACOGs to an M4 i'm pretty sure all you need are ellon keys [going by a pretty small picture on the EOtech site]

and i don't mean super advanced things like vhanging triggers and shit, just simple things like sawing off the stock or somthing [shoulda been more specific]

*Saw off the stock! So you can't shoulder the weapon :P Seems good

* The problem is workbench tweaking IRL has 0 gaming applications. What you just mentioned, changing the triggers, is why nothing can really be added (internally via a work bench) to enhance gameplay in DayZ. When you tweak around with a rifle in real life you generally change three things. The postion of the scope, the trigger pull and maintaince. These have almost no gameplay potential. Hair trigger or heavey trigger pressure can't work on a mouse, changing a scopes postion to get the correct eye relief would be fucking pointless and boring and you rarely need to dissasemble a gun to clean it's inards. Barrel/breech/optic/stock maintaince is can done from the outside you dont need to go in :P. You don't often need to go inside the actual bolt or internal parts. This isn't FarCry 2 either. Players that hunt players and use lots of ammo won't have the life expectancy to warrent internal rifle stuff. Jams/cleaning kit is a good option.

The few things i can think of is taping magazines together for banna mags (but this doesnt require a workbench just tape), somebody mentioned drilling holes into the stock for bullets? You dont do that you get an elestic shell holder, or make it yourself, don't damage the stock or maybe...JUST MAYBE a way to get a bump fire mechanism/internally tweaking to convert semi automatics into automatic rifles.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 2

I'd like to see oil filter suppressors, pop bottle suppressors, and other such less effective solutions. Hell. I'd find it funny if I could carry around a pillow for the sole purpose of sticking a gun into it and firing away. The stuffing that would fly.

Good to have someone that knows more about guns in real life here (Trizzo). I'd definitely like to see some attachments and modifications, because frankly, I'd risk my pillow to kill silently in a real apocalypse.

It would be possible to attach scopes to different guns. But you're not going to hit your target with it, until you've adjusted the thing. And the game should involve you having to do so.

I am against making anything beyond simple modifications for weapons, For instance, you're not going to have the technical knowhow to make your own underslung grenade launcher. I could see small straps set on the sides of shotguns for extra shells, holes bored into the solid stocks of rifles to hold extra bullets upon the gun itself, instead of taking up inventory space. See my thread in my sig for that.

Making a suppressor is fairly difficult though. You need precise machinery and you have to know what you're doing. It's possible, I won't say it isn't, but it would be fairly unrealistic for every random survivor to be able to make one.

Wait wait. IEDs, and garage style grenade launchers are EASY to make. The work bench shouldn't produce military grade awesomeness. It should put out improvised things. I can use a potato as a one off suppressor if need be. It's doesn't take much more than a bit of common sense and the right materials to make weapons.

I see all these "NO YOU DONT KNOW HOW" and I scratch my head. It's a terrible argument. People act as if the players in the game are mouth breathing high school drop outs barely above zombie intelligence. It's stupid.

I see all these "NO YOU DONT KNOW HOW" and I scratch my head. It's a terrible argument. People act as if the players in the game are mouth breathing high school drop outs barely above zombie intelligence. It's stupid.
Because, of course, all survivors have degrees from the MIT department of Mechanical Engineering.

I imagine you could fashion a fuse-detonated black-powder bomb, but all you would achieve is a bang, some smoke, and a lot of wasted time.

IEDs are created to be unnoticable or hard to detect, or because the materials are easier to come by where access to munitions is restricted.

The time, effort and risk involved are far greater than you imply.

It would take hours, if not days, to gather materials and craft an effectively harmful explosive device, and you would need to know what you're doing. Unless you only intended a visually spectacular suicide.

Meanwhile, your intended targets could be looting a military base.

tl:dr - Sharpened stick = yes

Molotov cocktail = yes

Homemade rail-mounted 40mm grenade launcher = no

Time and effort efficient Improvised explosives in a world where military loot is free to take = no

guys i think we're getting away from the point of workbenches here, it doesn't have to be suppresors and explosives, just little things like make-shift compass', jury rigged weapons in general, i'm pretty sure we all know that we can't do half the stuff we've mentioned without the right equipment or having the know-how.

Can I make a cardhouse and live in it?

An extra benifit of adding poker?

Interesting ghostdog...I did not consider in posting the non weapon items a workbench could add to the game...can't think of any right now.... but that doesn't mean there are not limitless things to do! Suggestions?

this sounds awesome as i love dayz be a game where insstead of having a overpowered weapon to kill people it should be a hunt to build a good weapon such as an m4 holo sd grenade launcher. yes that is a bit ridiclous but you get the point of the endless possiblitys. i would like to see silencers as loot. example: i could loot a barracks and the loot might contain attachments instead of finding a pre built gun.

Great thread

I did not consider in posting the non weapon items a workbench could add to the game... Suggestions?

A quiver for crossbow bolts should be craftable. Maybe with rawhide from a cow?

Torches, for lighting areas at night, should be craftable. A bit of wood with some cloth wrapped round it.

A snare, for catching rabbits. Or a makeshift fishing rod. Something for getting food.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I think a brainstorm sesh is in order.

• Like 1

Should be possible to make those tree traps, like branches with spikes on them, the ones that you can make in Far Cry.

Because, of course, all survivors have degrees from the MIT department of Mechanical Engineering.

I imagine you could fashion a fuse-detonated black-powder bomb, but all you would achieve is a bang, some smoke, and a lot of wasted time.

IEDs are created to be unnoticable or hard to detect, or because the materials are easier to come by where access to munitions is restricted.

The time, effort and risk involved are far greater than you imply.

It would take hours, if not days, to gather materials and craft an effectively harmful explosive device, and you would need to know what you're doing. Unless you only intended a visually spectacular suicide.

Meanwhile, your intended targets could be looting a military base.

tl:dr - Sharpened stick = yes

Molotov cocktail = yes

Homemade rail-mounted 40mm grenade launcher = no

Time and effort efficient Improvised explosives in a world where military loot is free to take = no

As someone who has made backyard bombs, I will respectfully disagree with you that it takes days. Some things we can make in several minutes or a few hours (hello improvised napalm!). The mart and industrial areas, have more than enough reason to have the materials any idiot with 9th grade education could put together and make booms with. Is it dangerous? Yep. it is. Should the risk be there to blow yourself up? Absolutely!

Edited by -SDZ- Lobo