Angry (DayZ)

What hardware do you host your server on?

Hey guys, A local PC shop is starting to host LAN parties bi monthly. And I had a thought, right now, the majority that come are me and a bunch of friends. We all play dayZ and I do occasionally host a private server from home. It seems to do well with less than 14 people, after that it gets laggy do to my internet connection.

My thought was, to setup a private server for the LAN specifically.

What hardware would you guys recommend? At home I use a quadcore AMD with SSD and 8gb ram. Our biggest issue was loot taking time to load in the bigger cities.

This also give admins a chance to show off what hardware they host their servers on. Private or not.

Edited by Angry

I've run DayZ servers several different ways. For a standalone box, I've run it on a i7 920 overclocked to 4GHz with 8GB mem and using just a WD Velociraptor drive. It ran very well on that setup. Currently I have been running DayZ server in both VMware and Xen cloud environments I have built from a lot of Dell R900 boxes and storage is run off of a fibre channel SAN and also a iSCSI SAN.

In the VM environments, I give the server instances 8 cores to work with. In VMware that is 2 virtual sockets, each with 4 cores and in the Xen environments it's 8 CPUs. On both platforms they get 8GB of RAM which so far has been more than enough, but I leave it at that to allow overhead in case it is needed.

Edited by Skydive

A quad core (3ghz+, I'd recommend 3.6ghz or so) and 8gb of RAM would run it fine. Throw it on an SSD if you've got one. If your players are on the same LAN, it should be fine with the built in 100mbit/gigabit adapter. Otherwise, a decent 30/30+ line is recommended for even a few players.