Solitude

Improved infection system.

Improved infection system.  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support these reworks to the infection system?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • I don't mind.

Hey everyone!

I'll keep it short but I'd like to propose a complete rework of the 'infection system' in DayZ, with the standalone version releasing soon and all. By no means am I demanding this to happen, just I would love to see something of the like in-game!

I think the infection system is lousy and unrealistic. If you get infected by a zombie, you lose blood and cough. Well, to me that's not enough. I would like to see you start to rot, start changing into a zombie, and lose control of your senses gradually.

Further refining my suggestions in detail, I'll write them here as follows.

1 - System stays as is, but with additional features. Currently I like the way the system works, just I don't think it's enough to be called an infection as is, and there should be multiple different infections caused from different things, as stated in argument #3.

2 - Redone blood loss system (while infected), with a small chance of the blood clotting and no longer bleeding. Possibly the addition of 'High strength' antibiotics and then just the usual, which would both reduce or remove the infection depending on how long you have had it.

3 - More ways to become infected - Hanging around dead bodies, getting hit by a zombie, or breaking a bone could have a chance to infect you, but all in different ways. For example, a broken bone, if left untreated for too long, could attract flies (you'd be more easily heard), could slowly drain your blood til about 3000 or so, and could give you 'Headaches' - Similar to pain but the screen loses all colour, and your character looks down and makes loud noises of pain for a short period before recovering. The infection would be curable with antibiotics, and the headache would be curable with painkillers/morphine. On the other hand an infection from zombies would slowly turn you into a zombie (so goes the mythos) in small increments, for example at 12000 blood you would be getting headaches, maybe pain, and slow blood loss. At 9000, the headaches would get a little longer (15 seconds max) and have a chance of .5% calculated every second, similar to passing out of blood loss. At 6000 blood, your headaches would become migraines and would begin to deal damage and take up to 1 minute. By 3000 blood, you would start losing your humanity (not as in the level) and slowly become a zombie. I.E. attacking your team mates or nearby survivors involuntarily. If your blood dropped below 1000, you would then become a full zombie and have the option to respawn.

tl;dr = If you get hit by a zombie, you slowly become a zombie.

I didn't read but I'm sure it's a great idea. I just wanted to inform you that Rockets brother is a virologist and is working with him on the standalone to make infection and disease a very important part of both the story and survival.

• Like 1

I didn't read but I'm sure it's a great idea. I just wanted to inform you that Rockets brother is a virologist and is working with him on the standalone to make infection and disease a very important part of both the story and survival.

Lazy. ;)

There was a tl;dr. Check the bottom of the thread.

Ok, tldr. The devs have already ruled out players becoming zeds because they don't want players ruining the immersion by running around as Zeds acting like twats. Not reading others posts on the subject before making a suggestion is lazy...;)

• Like 1

Ok, tldr. The devs have already ruled out players becoming zeds because they don't want players ruining the immersion by running around as Zeds acting like twats. Not reading others posts on the subject before making a suggestion is lazy... ;)

Perhaps it is. ;)

No but I mean once you're dead, you become a zed and have no control whatsoever of what it does. So there's really no point staying alive after, but the zombie has your items on it and looks like a survivor. What do you think?

Perhaps it is. ;)

No but I mean once you're dead, you become a zed and have no control whatsoever of what it does. So there's really no point staying alive after, but the zombie has your items on it and looks like a survivor. What do you think?

They are infected living people, not reanimated dead.

They are infected living people, not reanimated dead.

Even so; when you died of an infection your not-quite-dead body would become fully infected, and act as a normal zed. You would be able to watch it while you are dead but not influence anything it does. You would have the option to respawn.

From what I've read the "Survivors" (us) are part of a small percentage of the population that are somehow immune to the infection (being zombified). That's why we're ok and the rest of the population has been "infected". We can be killed by the zeds but not turned into zeds. This isn't written in stone yet, it's just things I've read about the thought process the devs are following.