Sign in to follow this  
Edva

FPS issues in major cities

Well met.

While not in a major city I get around 60fps.

I have tried most guides on how to boost fps.

Tried changing values on the arma2oa cfg file

I've got a decent internet (getting 5mb/s DL speed on steam)

Tried lots of different servers

Here is my gaming pc:

Processor :AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Processor (6 CPUs),OCed to 3.4GHz~

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Hard Drive: 1TB 7200RPM

Video Card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti. Factory clocked

Motherboard: SABERTOOTH 990FX

And I still lag in any major city there is: (cherno,electro,berezino)

What else should I try to get my FPS back to normal?

Edit: Maybe an CPU or graphics card OC would do the trick? Or reduce the lag slitgtly?

Edited by Nastykidd

Frame rate in cities? You can expect as little as half your usual performance, that's normal.

I was running with 2x GTX 560 Ti's, and I would still experience lag in cities. Unfortunately cities will suck up your framerate and the only solution is lowering settings or buying a new graphics card(s). If you're running on 60 FPS stable outside cities, you can expect a drop of 25-35 FPS or so in the big cities.

Arma 2 is not optimized well enough to do anything about it really.

I was running with 2x GTX 560 Ti's, and I would still experience lag in cities. Unfortunately cities will suck up your framerate and the only solution is lowering settings or buying a new graphics card(s). If you're running on 60 FPS stable outside cities, you can expect a drop of 25-35 FPS or so in the big cities.

Arma 2 is not optimized well enough to do anything about it really.

No, ArmA II's all about the CPU. I can't really see two 560 Ti's running the game a whole lot better than one.

• Like 1

It's not all about the CPU. With everything being loaded (Graphics wise), VRAM plays a big role here. With the limitations of 1GB VRAM on your graphis card, it will come down to your graphic card as well, not only CPU. Running SLI will not combine both VRAMs on the graphics cards, so in theory I was running on 1GB VRAM all the time with my GTX 560's, but now that I've upgraded to one with 2GB VRAM, it runs a lot smoother.

I have a similar set up to yours, i find some servers better than others, i'd like to play on the Redux servers but get terrible stuttering frame rates. Yet on others its silky smooth. :huh:

It's not all about the CPU. With everything being loaded (Graphics wise), VRAM plays a big role here. With the limitations of 1GB VRAM on your graphis card, it will come down to your graphic card as well, not only CPU. Running SLI will not combine both VRAMs on the graphics cards, so in theory I was running on 1GB VRAM all the time with my GTX 560's, but now that I've upgraded to one with 2GB VRAM, it runs a lot smoother.

Obviously I didn't mean the game ONLY runs off of your processor, lol. But like I said two 560s won't really be a big help, overclock your CPU as high as you can (safely).

• Like 1

Yeah this game is more of a strain on your CPU than graphics, Just a bump to the clock settings will do you well.

I OC my CPU up to 3.8ghz and im seeing a nice improvement from before.

• Like 1

Well me too getting that problem i think its the Zombies Spawning not quite sure.

You are correct about the zombie's being a significant cause for lag in cities. Since the zombies are controlled client side (by your computer, not the server) and are currently poorly optimized, its safe to assume that the more zombies you spawn the more you will notice a decrease in performance.

Rocket talks about this at the presentation he made at Eurogamer 2012. Skip to 55:08 if you are only interested in the part where he talks about how zombies currently effect performance, and how they aim to remedy the problem in the standalone.

I hope that clears things up a bit. :D

• Like 1

Mainly, it's the amount of generation needed to make the buildings appear and the graphics card. Also with your graphics card settings, your limitation to 1GB of RAM (which doesn't make sense since most computers don't even have 2GB anymore), the server you are on, and the in game video settings. I usually put everything on low, but have it at 100% 3D sharpness and keep my brightness around 1.1 to 1.2. Try to keep your brightness at 1 and then adjust your graphics cards brightness and contrast, and you monitor. I find that to be optimal.