Sign in to follow this  
step0229

Survival to Sport Killing?

I'm just curious but, when do you guys decide to make the transition from surviving to killing for fun? Or is it a little bit of both.

For me,

It's gotten to the point that I have every piece of gear in game that I desire. I went from player killing to survive to player killing for fun. Now I'm back to survival again, but I've heightened my game play to include territorial defense and claiming a rather large area as mine. I also see hunting other players comparable to buck hunting... as in I only kill the 10 and 12 point bucks.

Where do you guys stack up?

Dayz in a nutshell.

U play it "the supposed" way for a while and then you automatically switch to hunting people for sport.

There is only 2 alternatives, you try to play with people and die eventually making you loose interest in the game or you try to hide from people basically doing nothing the whole day, hardcore RP. That most likely end in the person loosing interest in the game aswell.

Everyone who is like " no its so much fun just surviving and stuff" hasnt played the game enough yet. You'll get there.

I too play territorially. I don't hunt and I don't peg newbies in Cherno - but I consider myself the ghost of Zelonogorsk. If you pass through my territory, you're fair game and I will harvest you for supplies. I travel outsie my "home territory" a lot, but I tend to always loop back and return to Zel after a day or so.

Dayz in a nutshell.

U play it "the supposed" way for a while and then you automatically switch to hunting people for sport.

DayZ in a nutshell for you, bub. I don't play that way, nor do I ever intend to. And if you don't consider 225+ hours "enough," then I'm not sure how much I have to play to reach this magical point.

It took me about 9 days on my current character to start hunting players for sport. I did nothing but lone-wolf for the first week, then got so bored that I just stopped playing altogether for a couple days (100+ deerstands, 5 full checks of NWAF, and 3 checks of NEAF without finding a single weapon better than an AKM is depressing, and extremely boring). I tried logging in again a couple days later, and found a CZ550 in a barn (first scoped weapon I'd ever found, on a damn 10 day character with 3 GPS units). Took the CZ to cherno, and have murdered 12 players and one bandit in the past couple days of playing.

Dayz in a nutshell.

There is only 2 alternatives' date=' you try to play with people and die eventually making you loose interest in the game or you try to hide from people basically doing nothing the whole day, hardcore RP. That most likely end in the person loosing interest in the game aswell.

Everyone who is like " no its so much fun just surviving and stuff" hasnt played the game enough yet. You'll get there.

[/quote']

This ^. People bitching about balance and talking about the "game" fail to realize this is not a game, its an Arma map with zombies. There is no replayability, there is no depth. Maybe one day Rocket or someone may figure out a way to make it replayable and have some depth, but right now it has neither.

I am not complaining or bitching about the mod, I think the idea is cool and I hope Rocket really comes up with some great ideas for it. But until then, there will be endless posts about deathmatching, nothing to do, etc... and I fear the hype will leave and the masses will dissappear, resulting in development being cut short.

I think the answer at that point is to get a boat and start living on an island, or stockpiling vehicles. If I were at this "end game", I would try to coordinate with others who were bored and start a trading post or medical center.

I believe when they start introducing mission/tasks you could do like turning power back on for a town/city then you will see players gravitate to this verse hunting players for sport.

The interesting aspect with the question about when you decide to hunt other players is that....This is when a person loses their humanity. This is where morals and rules inside the person start to blur and you rationalize why hunting players is ok when you spent 10 plus days as a lone wolf survivor.

Some players like ZedDeadBaby decided to keep his character's sanity by making the rule that this is his territory and he will only kill if they are in his territory/home.

Other players just start taking more risks as if they are trying to get killed by chancing Zed attacks and even coming across Hostile Players, and some simply start killing ever player seen for loot or just because they can.

This happens when the human mind loses the one thing we all need decide Love,....PURPOSE.

In the beginning the Purpose is to survive and get gear/weapons but as we start building up our pile of goodies we start feeling a little more safe and then our minds start thinking of a new purpose.

Task/Missions and maybe if they place some dynamic events(triggered by % equation) then players will be able shift their PURPOSE to thinks like building a new life and even trade as well as factions,..etc...

DayZ is amazing experiment that keeps getting better!

The issue for me that has driven me to just deathmatching on my character is that the alternative is entirely too shaky. I would LOVE to create some bastion of civilization, be it a tent city, a trading post, a vehicle depot, anything. But this just isn't possible. It is very, very difficult to create something along these lines, and it is extremely easy to destroy.

The game just doesn't support the natural end-game of this zombie situation: trying to recreate civilization. A tent city will simply be looted within hours of your group logging off. It's unrealistic to expect a round-the-clock guard on a server limited to 50 people (shoot, it'd be unrealistic on a server with 1000 people). And since scoped weapons are so utterly common, a single sniper can (and will) easily wreak havoc with any attempt at gathering peaceful players together. Sure the aggressor might die, but who cares? They'll just respawn. But your vehicle depot, trading post, or the huge stash of loot in your tent city... none of those things will respawn.

I keep myself going with objectives.

First objective was to reach Olsha where my brother was living before the outbreak. I'm not there yet and it's been keeping me busy along the route. I'm living like a survivor, following the treeline and staying away from roads but going into villages and towns when neccessary.

Ideally, I want to find someone that's willing to play the role of my brother and we can organise it between ourselves for him to be there when I arrive.

From there, we're going to head to the coast and try to find a boat to escape to an island, but chances of finding a boat? So from there we'll be looking to head back inland to set up a camp somewhere.

Make your own objectives and don't play Day Z.

Live it.

An extended version of this would be good:

Perhaps we could blow up those car wrecks littering the island for extra scrap metal and make our own cement.