Cootter

What is a Carebear?

.....no really. I don't get it. Carebear? I remember there was a cartoon way back when. What's that got to do with anything... did the cartoon Carebears whine allot? Does using "Carebear" as a derogatory slur establish one as a "hardcore" gamer? You fuckin carebear!! Viola, I'm a badass at cartoon gaming!! That it? I'm not sure how to use it. Awww, you're such a Carebear, would you care to massage my turnips? Is it a nice way to insult someone? Maybe I have it all wrong. Does Carebear mean you're cool, just kinda slow? When I see someone use the term "Carebear" in a gaming forum, I immediately think they spent their childhood actually having to WATCH some pansy cartoon, as opposed to stuff like Bugs tricking Daffy into tripping off a mountain side. All PC pussified and shit.

Massage my turnips, lol'd at that one

Carebears want to sit around a campfire and be friends with everyone. The term is also used for players who want the game to be easier in some way.

Massage my turnips' date=' lol'd at that one

Carebears want to sit around a campfire and be friends with everyone. The term is also used for players who want the game to be easier in some way.

[/quote']

I thought it was used to describe players who don't enjoy killing other players?

Massage my turnips' date=' lol'd at that one

[/quote']

I thought it was used to describe players who don't enjoy killing other players?

Guess that fits as well.

Carebear: Someone who enjoys the soft, undulating warmth of PVE content as it gently washes against their quivering bosom. They do not like to engage in PVP, and can generally be found being all kinds of mad/upset about it when PVP finds them.

A lot of the folks on this forum use the term incorrectly.

I first heard the term in Eve Online; I wouldn't be surprised if its those same players spreading the word around in such a false dichotomy that anonymous internet users usually resort to.

I would like to ask would a player, who is usually passive about PV,P but is defensive if shoot at considered a carebear?

I first heard the term in Eve Online; I wouldn't be surprised if its those same players spreading the word around in such a false dichotomy that anonymous internet users usually resort to.

i don't see the false dichotomy in this topic.

It's another dumb internet meme.

What is the point of this thread? Surely you can infer the meaning of the term from it's use?

Well carebear is the new "Noob" in dayz mod...

Basiclly if your gonna whine about something like pvp or zombies being to strong or fast , you're a carebear or what would pro skilzz cod players call a NOOB.

:D

Carebear: Someone who enjoys the soft' date=' undulating warmth of PVE content as it gently washes against their quivering bosom. They do not like to engage in PVP, and can generally be found being all kinds of mad/upset about it when PVP finds them.

[/quote']

This, and the EVE people (I've played it) use it the same way, they try & stay well away from any pvp combat & prefer to just go about doing their own thing (in EVE it's mining, scanning & killing rats in belts, preferably in high security space!)

I have nothing against people who do this, it's just a different play style.

It's a blanket term put on anyone who isn't has hardcoreXXcoolguy as oneself. It's the new "noob!".

For instance I'm a prime candidate for Carebearism because I don't find nights in this mod desirable, even though I don't shy away from pvp (in this or any other game) or whine about any other ingame mechanic.

It pops up in threads related to games where people are able to prey on other people. You don't see as much in games that just "pvp".

Carebear: Someone who enjoys the soft' date=' undulating warmth of PVE content as it gently washes against their quivering bosom. They do not like to engage in PVP, and can generally be found being all kinds of mad/upset about it when PVP finds them.

[/quote']

This, and the EVE people (I've played it) use it the same way, they try & stay well away from any pvp combat & prefer to just go about doing their own thing (in EVE it's mining, scanning & killing rats in belts, preferably in high security space!)

I've nothing against them in-game at all. I , however, find the vocal, forum users, members of this camp can be very childish altogether.

I'd wager the veteran Arma and EVE players came into DayZ with thicker skin and a better attitude towards the game.

This' date=' and the EVE people (I've played it) use it the same way, they try & stay well away from any pvp combat & prefer to just go about doing their own thing (in EVE it's mining, scanning & killing rats in belts, preferably in high security space!)

[/quote']

i used to be a space explorer like you ! , till i got a Goon swarm to the knee

It pops up in threads related to games where people are able to prey on other people. You don't see as much in games that just "pvp".

I can see the point you're driving at, in that it stems solely from griefers. I'd argue that the term comes about more in sandbox /hardcore/ perma-death style games where PVP has consequences.

You'll find griefers in almost any game.

I've always found the term Carebare to be a bit ironic. It's usually deployed by the kind of player who garners every possible advantage, including belonging to a large group and gathering the best equipment (in the easiest possible way, sorry, "most efficient"), in order to make it as easy as possible to play the game and/or kill other players.

It's often (but not always) used to describe those who solo, aren't fussed about getting the easy-mode gear and are quite happy to embrace the challenge of gaming without all the advantages. In DayZ, the term is particularly ironic because killing Carebear players when you've got all the best kit is trivially easy. Surviving as a Carebear player is far, far more challenging - which is why I go in for that kind of play.

My Carebear credentials might be sullied a bit because I don't want the game changed to make it easier for myself. If I wanted it easy I'd join a clan, farm the NW Airfield and kill as many players as possible from as safe a position as I can find.

Your mileage may vary.

just another term used by idiots to describe anyone who doesn't play the game exactly the same as them.

example question: "why do people camp the southern coast with a DMR shooting ten minute old characters?"

response: "HUUURRRF YOU FUCKING CAREBEAR NOOB GO BACK TO WOW DJFF$JFD"

May be an opposite term should be used ;P like "Crocodile".

Actually the opposite of 'Carebear' is 'Cunt'.

Yep, Cunts vs Carebears.

May be an opposite term should be used ;P like "Crocodile".

Actually the opposite of 'Carebear' is 'Cunt'.

Yep' date=' Cunts vs Carebears.

[/quote']

But crocodiles are opportunistic ****s and they are cannibals as well. Lying in wait, striking when you are the unaware. They are the reptile brain embodied, so to speak.

The carebear slur is a derogatory generalization used by the mainstream self-imposed hardcore elitists. I say self-imposed because one cannot be a hardcore gamer and NOT appreciate the classics. To them, it's all about the brown and grey realism, an obsession over "convenient" realism, and killing people while they rage and scream about launching sexual innuendos over a voice chat. It can best be embodied in this statement: If you think that there's something better in life than what Conan the Barbarian said, you're a carebear. They are what hurts the FPS genre and the driving force behind games being rehased every year with the same graphics, same gameplay, but updated "perks" where, in any other genre, that's known as a patch note. NOW: The term has gotten fairly mainstream since DayZ, and it's understandable that people would abuse it out of context, but that's where it started. If you have feelings, morals, rules, or anything that keeps you from abusing the whole concept of "it's a game" and, by that I mean not giving a shit about anything and harassing people "for teh lulz" then you're a carebear.

So what do we need to do?:

I cut to the quick, but the rest is worth watching eventually.