Sign in to follow this  
Pullarn

New Guy Comming Through!

Hi! I'm new to this whole Arma 2/DayZ game. I saw a few videos of DayZ on youtube and thought it looked like lots of fun, so I bought the necessary games for it to start playing.

So anyway, I'm looking for someone to help me get started, learning the basics and maybe team up with. Of course I've watched some helpful youtube videos and guides (many from this forum) so I've learned some key bindings etc, etc. But quite frankly - it's hard. Even though I play on Regular servers :S

It's like I got an aggro-magnet stuck on me that the zombies gets a hard on for. When I'm spawning on a server, the first thing I'm trying to find is a weapon. Which is MUCH easier said than done, since the towns are full of zombies. I've played on about 5 servers so far, and on the latest server I finally found my first weapon before I got killed - a bloody axe.

So, as I said, I'm looking for help and possibly a future partner (If you want of cours).

Add my skype if you'd be awesome and help me :)

Info:

Name: Martin

• Like 1

Look for food and water first. when you get near a building you can loot, wait a couple of minutes before you go in to let the zombies disperse. barns often have shotties and enfields in them, if you must have a gun. If you spawn near a city the residential areas often also have weapons and food and water. make sure you crouch and double tap shift so that you walk slower, as this makes you less of a target, but should you need to its faster to get up and run that crawlng.

Also dieing isn't always a bad thing, especially if you just spawned since it can get you a better spawn. The best weapon till you can get a decent gun (the makarov is trash unless you get alot of headshots) is the hatchet. remember that you have lots of blood and zombies hit for a relatively low amount, so bandages are a good thing to keep handy, but you need to not freak out and run out of a town, just find buildings with multiple entrances and run through them then bandage.

• Like 1

The playstyle I go with consists of looting the nearest town (at your spawn) then running north to Stary where you can get a decent backpack, food, water, matches and hunting knife. Also at Stary I'd recommend getting a good military grade weapon. If you don't know DayZ I'd recommend using a map ( I use http://dayzdb.com/map)

With this map you wanna follow as many roads as possible (because the forests are INSANELY hard to go through) this is of course if you DON'T get a in-game map. If you get an in-game map just SHIFT+Left click and you've got a marker that shows you exactly where to go.

After getting things sorted in Stary, move north, checking for crashed helis and the barracks.

After getting HIGH value weapons the game is kinda over for you xD

• Like 1

Hey buddy.

was in your shoes not more than 3 weeks ago ... and i got killed and killed and killed. i quess u learn from your mistakes cause you will get better at the basics. like the guy above me said so remember to WALK when u approach a lootspawn (house, barn, industrial building .... and so on) that way u do not agro the zombies ;)

The fastest way to get decent guns after u spawn (and also the most likely one to get you killed) is visiting Chernogorsk or Elektrovodsk (Elektro and Cherno for short) and head for the firestations. they spawn akm's, ak's, M16, and if you're really lucky maybe a scoped rifle (only seen that happend once thou) but remember that because of it this is a HOTSPOT for players, and most is of the KOS mentality. but again, u are for that same reason likely to find a body with the stuff u need on theese locations as well.

The safest way to get a gun fast is barns .... they spawn Lee enfields, shotguns, winchesters, crossbows and the acasional CZ550.

Last thing ... if u keep getting killed at cherno and elektro, then maybe log on to a server with a low amount of people intil u got your barings :)

Hope it helped a little

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for the tips guys! Will try this now, a more slow and safe approach.

@Scaverger: That you said about getting in to a low populated server, did you mean so I can learn the game a little with lower risk of getting killed by players, or gearing up safely? Because I've heard that you don't loose any gear or weapons or anything if you log out? Even if you log back on to another server?

• Like 1

You'll keep everything you have when you change servers.

but if you have just gotten something, a gun for instance, don't log off right away as you will risk losing it. that happened to me during my first week and i didn't know why. i was told it takes a few minutes for servers to save what you have on you.

• Like 1

Wow! Thanks for all the replies and encouragement!

Also, Philip and Aeron that has added me on skype - I am 7 hours ahead of Philip and 6 hours behind Aeron... So the only time we can talk to each other is in the weekend I think, since I can't be up too long 'cus of work.

Bah... Accidently double-posted...

Edited by Pullarn

Hi Pullarn, welcome to dayz. To add a little more information, you will only carry stuff over each time you join a server if it's part of the same hive of servers (a hive is a group of servers that have the same mission playing and share the same host). So the mission "dayz" is the official hive of official dayz servers. There are other hives (or groups of servers, where you share a character across them) their mission is "dayz Chernarus". Some hives run other maps instead of Chernarus, such as Lingor Island and Panthera. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

@ElectricWizard: Yo dude, are you Philip? In that case, I just wanna say that I'm probably gonna stay up till 2-3 am (my time, current time is 23.50), so if you got time, log in to Skype :) I might not be able to play but at least we can set up some time we can both be in?

@Sula: Thank you so much! So if I got this right; "dayz" is one hive, "dayz chernarus" is another, "long island" and "panthera" others? And if I play on the "dayz"-hive and gear up there, it won't be on the other hives?

Edited by Pullarn
  • Like 1

Yep, well sort of but you're as right as you need to be. Imagine company X decides it wants to rent out servers to Joe, Lucy, Pete and Dave.

Joe hires 3 servers from company X and he has 2 run dayz Chernarus and 1 runs Lingor Island.

So Joe has a hive and he calls it Dazzle Servers, the servers being called UK #001 UK #002 and UK #003

When you join #001 OR #002 Joe has set it up so that you carry the same character across both his servers, so you can play on either and be in the same place with the same stuff on either one. Of course, on #003 Lingor Island is running, so you get a different character to play on that one.

Pete hires 3 servers too from Company X and they all run dayz Chernarus but Pete sets up his servers so they are each separate hives. Each server is a hive on its own. He calls his servers Blissful Servers Numbers #1 #2 #3 and #4

So when you enter any of Pete's servers you spawn as a new character and you can't carry things across from one to another.

That isn't how it works in truth but it is how it looks to work, from a user's point of view, when you're working out where to play.

My advice is keep a written note of exactly which servers you play on. Though it's getting harder as some don't even have a unique server name any more. <_<

Good luck! :thumbsup:

PS sorry this post sounds like a maths test question.

Edited by Sula
  • Like 1

Beans for joining if you want ingame advice and someone to walk you through the basics I am willing to put time aside for you just PM I'll bring you up to speed ingame

• Like 1