Hitman1104

I'm thinking about...

...getting Arma 2 to play DayZ. I have a few questions and any help is appreciated.

(1.) My PC has the minimum specs for BF2, is that enough for Arma 2? If not, what do you recommend for under $1000 that's prebuilt? I'm not a computer wizz.

(2.) When I buy Arma 2, do I have to buy a dlc like Op Arrowhead to have the ability to download DayZ?

(3.) What's the best headset to use for this game?

Thanks for any help. If there's anything important I may be missing, don't leave it out please!!

1-Nothing runs DayZ extremely well right now, it's very poorly optimized at this early stage. I play Arma 2 at 90 fps but I'm lucky to get 40 in DayZ. It's very demanding on your CPU, that much I can tell you.

2-You have to buy the original Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead, or just buy Combined Operations.

3-Don't know what you mean, headset doesn't really have anything to do with the game, just personal preference.

1) That should be enough, but just to be on the safe side, check out www.canyourunit.com for a comparison. As for buying a new rig, I'd say go to your nearest computer repair shop - a lot of them will sell pre-assembled computers for a fair price. I bought mine for about $750 with six cores, eight gigs of DDR3 RAM, and a 1 GB GFX card (switching it out for a 5.5 GB once I get paid).

2) Get ArmA II: Combined Operations. It's $30, and has everything you need for DayZ. If you just get ArmA II or Operation Arrowhead (the standalone expansion for ArmA II), you can't run DayZ - and if you buy both separately, you'll spend about $40.

3) Doesn't really matter, as VOIP in-game is touch and go, and you're advised not to use it. It can both lag and crash the server you're on. Just use whatever you feel comfortable with using over a TeamSpeak 3 server - a lot of DayZ servers have their own TS3 servers, but if you hook up with a clan or another player you might be able to hop in their TeamSpeak.

Good luck!

1) That should be enough' date=' but just to be on the safe side, check out www.canyourunit.com for a comparison. As for buying a new rig, I'd say go to your nearest computer repair shop - a lot of them will sell pre-assembled computers for a fair price. I bought mine for about $750 with six cores, eight gigs of DDR3 RAM, and a 1 GB GFX card (switching it out for a 5.5 GB once I get paid).

2) Get ArmA II: Combined Operations. It's $30, and has everything you need for DayZ. If you just get ArmA II or Operation Arrowhead (the standalone expansion for ArmA II), you can't run DayZ - and if you buy both separately, you'll spend about $40.

3) Doesn't really matter, as VOIP in-game is touch and go, and you're advised not to use it. It can both lag and crash the server you're on. Just use whatever you feel comfortable with using over a TeamSpeak 3 server - a lot of DayZ servers have their own TS3 servers, but if you hook up with a clan or another player you might be able to hop in their TeamSpeak.

Good luck!

[/quote']

Thanks!

if you want to save $10 just buy arma 2 OA and use arma 2 free it works fine as for head set look for a gamecon 187 its great and pretty cheep

if you want to save $10 just buy arma 2 OA and use arma 2 free it works fine as for head set look for a gamecon 187 its great and pretty cheep

Are you sure about that? I swear I remember reading somewhere that ArmA II Free should not work with DayZ. Plus' date=' the benchmarks and optimizing in ArmA II Free are [i']fucking awful (I average 50-60 FPS in single-player, 30-40 in DayZ, and 15-20 in ArmA II Free), and I'm wondering if that might affect how DayZ runs as well. That would be especially bad for him if he already won't get a fantastic framerate, and it's only $10 extra.

I've actually heard reports that using Arma 2 Free gives a better frame rate. I use Arma2Free myself and have had no problems so far.

what people stated for ur first 2 are correct.

headset wise it does make a diffrence due to diffrent frequencies..

funny nobody mentioned that..

I can hear gunshots way further away than that of my mates, but i have a pretty decent/expensive headset.. imo..

Using an Astro Gaming A40 headset with a mix-amp which cost me 270british pound..

Had to import it..

When you say BF2 do you mean Battlefield 2 or Battlefield: Bad Company 2?

Edit: Actually either way it's still incredibly low, and below Arma 2: OA's min specs.

I would suggest http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227385 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227411 if you want to spend a bit extra for what might not even be a noticeable performance increase.

When you say BF2 do you mean Battlefield 2 or Battlefield: Bad Company 2?

Edit: Actually either way it's still incredibly low' date=' and below Arma 2: OA's min specs.

I would suggest http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227385 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227411 if you want to spend a bit extra for what might not even be a noticeable performance increase.

[/quote']

I mean Battlefield 2

I mean Battlefield 2

Yes well the minimum specs for that kind of prohibit you from playing any game released after 2007.

I mean Battlefield 2

Yes well the minimum specs for that kind of prohibit you from playing any game released after 2007.

Oh' date=' wow, yeah. I assumed he meant Bad Company 2, which I figured could limp along with ArmA II. You're definitely going to need a new rig. Battlefield 2 was released in 2005; ArmA II is pretty much one of the most GPU intensive games [i']ever, due to its massive 225 square kilometer map.

Arma 2 free does give better FPS cuz its not high rez and using arma 2 free saves some room on your HD since its not a full game just a demo but if you want to go that route look up arma 2 CO lite thats just to say if you only have $20 to spend if you have money to spend go for arma X its all the arma games for $60 (thats a great deal)