That's why it is called "Spray and Pray" - you have to pray or you miss and wast a whole mag.
Try going for "short bursts" and also check out "aiming while you panic" - it is a good thing to practice. Someone should write a book about it. I'll BET you were in third person, right ?
The guy is at close range, he's looting, he's not moving. Look down your sights, aim at the head, fire two shots. Aim each time.   Go find a tree, hold the gun at your hip and aim at the tree.
Now without moving around, lift the gun to your face, see where the point of aim is now.
Not the same place. xx Enjoy   [edit]  This is not a FPS shooter Crysis-style, where anything the screen crosshair is on at any distance you will exactly hit  - (no insult intended, Jscaff) -  the DayZ on-screen "targeting aid" is only a helper - there is a difference firing from the hip because you are holding the gun low on one side of your body, compared to firing over the sights. So the difference in aim point is horizontal too (off to one side) as well as vertical. You learn this (by practice?) and get used to it.  I'm not too great at firing from the hip but some players are deadly hot snapshooters. There is also bullet drop and weapon accuracy built into the game. The "targeting aid" you see on screen has been tweaked a couple of times, too. Check the forums and you'll find the debates about it.

ps - my advice (but it's just mine, others will say different) - In normal play, keep your sight adjustment screwed down to 50m - because about 100% of firefights take place inside that range. If you play with your sights set at 200m the bullets will go right over the head of a guy who pops up at 20-30m. This stuff is deliberately designed in the game for better realism. Some players like it less than others,