I was thinking about the idea of specific items in DayZ, we all know people trade off AK rounds/mags and so on..
but in a real life situation.. (or roleplay senario) I was thinking about luxury goods such as:

- Cigarettes
- alcohol
- Coffee

as trading wares and usable items. example:

you find a pack of cigarettes that contain lets say 21 pieces (EU standard)
you'd right click it and you could smoke a cigarette. this would be a good trading product for various reasons.

If everything goes down, the first thing to fall (along with general order) is currency.
but since ammo should be in short supply (currently not the case for most types) it should be a last resort to trading.

Alcohol (home grown?) should be a more accessible form of merchandise for trading and bardering.
the same goes for cigarettes. this would (for example on the server where I play) give certain groups that horde a lot of stuff
a general purpose. becoming a kind of go-to store when people have addictions (smokers etc.) or just want something other than soda and water to drink.. 

I think the alcohol shouldn't be to hard to make since we already have soda cans etc.
as for the coffee.. those could be planted the same way as tomato's/pumpkins for example.. crush them with a stone and mix in with (hot?) water to make coffee
that gives you a small boost in (if it gets implemented) stamina 

I personally think with all the new stuff you guys are adding.. simple things like these would do wonders for the RP community DayZ has (DayZRP/[Falcon] DayZ SA Roleplay & Realism)
it would make the game more realistic, it would also create new opportunities for players to go out and explore more thus interaction with the surroundings rather than rushing through buildings looking for a can of beans then leave..

regards,

Tigermonk (member of [Falcon] DayZ SA Roleplay & Realism)