Lights Out

Editable/Markable Maps

Didn't find much on this topic or maps in general. Either that or it's just that no one uses tags properly. I've read about Rocket wanting to do a journal type feature. Some of it may be auto logged while it can also be used for you to take notes and such maybe.

Suggestion

My idea is more for the ability to draw and mark up a map you find of the region. This can be carried with you or kept at your base somewhere. Basically this would be used as a type of intel.

What it offers for gameplay

While Alive

-You can mark up small towns of interest that you ran into. Maybe it was over run with zombies and you want to come back to it later. You can mark that point with a pencil/marker. (You'd need to find that item as well.)

-You've run into a place which you believe to be a player base. You may want to mark that as well for various intentions. (raid, ambush, scouting mission to see if they're friendly)

-Found a location (town,cabin,military secret base,player base) that is not depicted on the map already. You might want to put in this location.

-You've found loot at specific locations, you may want to take note of that on your map just in case you need it in the future or you have no inventory space and have to come back for it later.

-You have stashes in various locations to minimize loss. Hiding all stuff in a single location is pretty risky. If a player finds it he can wipe you clean. You can mark these location on maps.

-Maybe certain color dots you make on the map correspond to exact coordinates you keep on your journal. Maybe with more information about the location.

After Death

The other part where this would come into play besides for your own reference while alive, is after death. If another player picks this up off your body, well they can pick of valuable intel on places of interest. Maybe they find out that you have their base marked and have been watching them. etc. etc.

Edited by Lights Out
  • Like 5

Mudmaps are a genius idea. It would be a huge strategic FUBAR should another group come into posession of intel regarding your own groups movements and observations. If you play on servers with competative groups this could be lots of fun. Alternatevly, they could make it so the information and markers you put on your own map isn't viewable by everyone else who has a map. In order to get your map info they'd have to kill you and take it or let you copy the info onto their map yourself.

Alternatevly, they could make it so the information and markers you put on your own map isn't viewable by everyone else who has a map.

Yes, this is exactly how I envisioned it. If it's on my map, only I can see it unless I give it to someone, I allow them to copy my map, or it is taken from me.

It would work, but players (with lots of gear) would be expected to keep a map in real life and mark on it rather than use in game map. So not sure how if it would achieve what you describe in your post. The current in game map would have to be really outdated/old/not updated with new roads and buildings etc. in order for players to mark the relatively large quantity of new information on it rather than the offline map.

If I understand your point correctly, you're saying that people will use physical maps instead. Yes, but this is a problem regardless, people have no desire to find an in game map currently because they can just print a physical map.

However, I'm pretty sure the hardcore players looking for a genuine experience and immersion will use to feature.

As for there being no reason to mark a map. Well maps will not mark dangerous areas (over run by a huge zombie number/places to avoid for whatever reasib), locations of certain loots you wish to reference if you need it later (car parts), player bases, places in which you have not yet scavenged. There are manyyyy reason to mark up a map.

what about when you die and they pick up the map the colour of the pencil/marker has faded through unfolding/folding of the map this way you can keep some of your possessions safe if you have taken the time and effort to hide them.

Marking a "home" on a GPS would also be something to add. I love the idea

Marking a "home" on a GPS would also be something to add. I love the idea

Indeed, this would work with GPS as well. Personally, I've always wanted to mark certain things on the map/gps for my own reference. For fear of it being taken while being held up, you can take extra precaution and code your intel in some way.

So whether you're the one using it or the one taking it from someone else, it makes the map and gps even more valuable