thomas28

Having to zero your weapon

When you pick up a new rifle you would have to zero it manually with the only help being your point of impact and adjustment on your sight for windage and elevation.

of course you would have to do it all over again if you change the Scope, and you won't be able to pick up a new rifle and go Sniping right away.

i'm sorry if this was already discussed.

Edited by thomas28

i think this was already discussed, but whatever i think this could be a nice implementation

• Like 1

The rifles would have already been factory zeroed at that point.

Or by whichever soldier it belonged to before you, considering most weapons are found in military buildings.

Edited by mZLY

Would the gun show what range it's zeroed at then?

If you found a gun that was previously owned by a soldier, would you be able to read the zeroing somewhere, or find out yourself through experimentation?

Wouldn't people just google the default zeroing for each scope anyway?

• Like 2

experimentation is good, but optics and ironsights have numbers to adjust the zeroing

Most "zeroing" in RL is really just adjusting the gun to the persons particular "sight picture". Just because I have a weapon dialed in for me, does not mean you will be able to pick it up and put bullets on the paper in the same place I do. If the weapon is accurate, you could still shoot a nice group, but the chances that it would fall in exactly the same place as mine are slim.

• Like 1

Would the gun show what range it's zeroed at then?

If you found a gun that was previously owned by a soldier, would you be able to read the zeroing somewhere, or find out yourself through experimentation?

You would have to find out, normally it's zeroed at normal combat distance depending on the rifle or it's purpose, not like a M4 equipped with an aimpoint would be zeroed at 400m because that would be unreasonable to engage targets at that distance with that targeting device. I'm sure if you picked up a rifle from a SWAT member you might have it zeroed at 50-100m, maybe even only 25m where a soldier would have his zeroed at 200m.

Most "zeroing" in RL is really just adjusting the gun to the persons particular "sight picture". Just because I have a weapon dialed in for me, does not mean you will be able to pick it up and put bullets on the paper in the same place I do. If the weapon is accurate, you could still shoot a nice group, but the chances that it would fall in exactly the same place as mine are slim.

If a gun can't hit the same spot ( not exactyl the same but really close like within the ammunitions moa rating ) with different users either the scope is broken or the gun. Zero is zero no matter what.

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 1

You would have to find out, normally it's zeroed at normal combat distance depending on the rifle or it's purpose, not like a M4 equipped with an aimpoint would be zeroed at 400m because that would be unreasonable to engage targets at that distance with that targeting device. I'm sure if you picked up a rifle from a SWAT member you might have it zeroed at 50-100m, maybe even only 25m where a soldier would have his zeroed at 200m.

If a gun can't hit the same spot ( not exactyl the same but really close like within the ammunitions moa rating ) with different users either the scope is broken or the gun. Zero is zero no matter what.

Yea, the deviation between users is from shooting technique... A LOT o people pull right and/or up/down (right handed users/lefties normally go other way) But yea, agree, zero is zero.

As stated above, Zero is Zero, but you should still have to set the sights on any weapon before it's definitely accurate.

Grub screws and all metal threads expand/contract with change in temperature IRL, so after even a couple of hours your sights could be off, and you wouldn't know unless you checked.

Not just zeroed up and down, but left and right. Alan keys or screwdrivers (toolbox in game) would be required.

The same goes for rail mounted scopes, but worse.

Rails, threaded rods and the scope itself are all liable to add to loss of accuracy over time and would be accelerated with all the running and rolling around players do in DayZ

It wouldn't be much of a problem at close range, but at a dozen yards or more, a wee bit to either side could mean a missed headshot!

The fact that the weapons in use are all abandoned should add to the likelyhood that they wouldn't be entirely accurate.

• Like 1

Most of the guns would be pre-sighted in. But there's going to be an attachment system in standalone. Maybe they could add this mechanic to scopes.

• Like 1

As stated above, Zero is Zero, but you should still have to set the sights on any weapon before it's definitely accurate.

Grub screws and all metal threads expand/contract with change in temperature IRL, so after even a couple of hours your sights could be off, and you wouldn't know unless you checked.

Not just zeroed up and down, but left and right. Alan keys or screwdrivers (toolbox in game) would be required.

The same goes for rail mounted scopes, but worse.

Rails, threaded rods and the scope itself are all liable to add to loss of accuracy over time and would be accelerated with all the running and rolling around players do in DayZ

It wouldn't be much of a problem at close range, but at a dozen yards or more, a wee bit to either side could mean a missed headshot!

The fact that the weapons in use are all abandoned should add to the likelyhood that they wouldn't be entirely accurate.

Ehm...targeting devices and their mounts are not that fragile that they lose zero if you run around or hit something with it in a normal way ( even using the rifle butt as a club ) unless you have a replica on your airsoft gun or you really buy cheap stuff. And you have to heat or cool down metal to extreme temps to cause a change in measurements. If you set zero a sight the only factor that might make you miss is the human factor, if you allow room for errors somebody will make it happen. And why should a weapon lose zero from lying around and not beeing used? I miss some common sense...

And you have to heat or cool down metal to extreme temps to cause a change in measurements.

False. Expansion in metals occurs for any increase in temperature.

Besides, both the screw (male) and thread (female) of any pairing, are precicely measured, and in most scopes, rail mounting bolts are less than 4mm, actual "clicks" on the scope are smaller still.

And assuming Chernarus, being fictional, but in the area of southern Russia (where urban winter temperatures regularly dip below -10oC) is pretty cold outside - It's not beyond the realms of possibility that moving from inside, to up a mountain, to swimming through a lake to warming yourself beside a campfire, (while being hunted or running for your life) would cause the few micrometres of movement required to reduce the accuracy of your sight quite significantly.

Added to the fact that the majority of firearms being brought to standalone will not (or should not) be hi-spec U.S. military weapons, the required maintenance of scopes is entirely plausible.

YAH, that would explain why the US military has each soldier zero their own weapon. If "zero is zero" then the armorers could just use a laser boresighter and pre-set everyones weapon. Like I said, an accurate weapon can put down consistant groups on paper, but two different people putting down groups on the same paper with the same weapon are unlikely to place those groups in the same place......

Have any of you actually ever shot at anything 800 yards away? Those small differences of a few inches on paper at 100 yards, multiply themselves 8 times at 800 yards... That means that you shooting a group 3 inches left of mine at 100 yards translates into a 24 inch deviation at 800... a clear miss by almost 2 feet...

Edited by Jest8r
  • Like 2

Every gun with zeroing is set to 500 by default AFAIK. I don't have a lot of experience with some guns, but I know the AKM pretty well, I found it's best set to 300. Whether or not that is the "correct" setting I have no idea. I used an M4A3 and couldn't hit crap with it zeroed at 300, nor at 500 so I wasn't that bothered when I ran out of ammo and subsequently got eaten.

Edit:Actually, does the M4A3 even have zeroing? I can't recall...

Edited by Dr.Duff

The rear sight of every AK has numbers on it and can be adjusted for the distance of your target.

Same with the m60. Unfortunately I don't know exactly how other guns zero in other than sniper rifles (where it depends on your scope and you have to actually shoot)

I think some people are a little confused between zeroing a weapon, and adjusting the sights for distance. They are totally different things.

Saying "zero is zero" is not strictly true. A zero'd weapon out the factory or by use of a collimator, does align the center point of the sight with the impact point of the round at between 100 and 300 metres, depending on the weapon system. This zeroing technique (similar to bore sighting) will get you on the target at close range, but won't get you sniper levels of accuracy. For ultimate accuracy the weapon system will need to be individually zero'd to the individual firing it, and the only way to do that is tight and consistent grouping while firing on a range. You would need to put at least 20 rounds in 5 round groups into a target, then adjust the sights depending on the center of mass of you 5 round groups. This process can take a long time and application of the marksmanship principles, witch I'm sure no one in the game gives a rats ass about!

So maybe a collimator might be a good idea (the special tool to help zero a weapon system). But to try and replicate true zeroing.... i'm not sure it will catch on.

Edited by Alternative_Alien
  • Like 1

Its would be nice to need zero the gun both vertical and horisontal...

Gun should spawn with random zeroing setting and game shoudnt show you the zeroing, this way you had to shoot and adjust the gun.. no more bullshit pageup/down spawm and fire in 2 seconds.

Maybe hear the click for the adjustment screw so you can learn differend distances by counting those... just dont forget your last zeroing ^^

• Like 1