thomas28

Add 22 long rifle pistol and rifle to dayz

Add 22 long rifle weapons to dayz

A pistol and too rifles, a semi auto and bolt action with a semple low power scope, all feeding of the same ten round mag, or Splitting the mag for the bolt action,

The good

Lots of ammo

Pretty quiet

Good for warning Shots

next to no recoil

The bad

Low magazine capacity ten round mag

Long time of flight

Low Damage (maybe 500 Blood for the pistol and a bit more for the rifles)

Jamming (the .22 Cartridge will never be 100%)

This was More for the Standalone, and i think this would add some interesting gameplay.

Edited by thomas28

yeah, they should also add BB guns,

the good:

quiet

less chance to teamkill

lots of ammo

the bad:

low damage (maybe 10 blood for the pistol and abit more for the rifles)

mite drop your BB's ( gl finding them on the ground )

ineffective in a 1v2 situation

i was also thinking add this in standalone, it would add a interesting mechanic.

.......................................................................................................

If a 9mm bullet only does 889 damage in this game, a .22 would do so little damage it wouldn't be worth using.

Edited by Xucphra

Actually Thomas might be onto something here, suppressed .22 LR guns were standard issue to both Isreali soldiers and US Navy SEALS during the '90's, (Isreal used a rifle for riot control, but stopped after the weapon proved to be more lethal than expected, while the SEALS used a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_MK_II]Ruger MK II) It's a common weapon used by both pest control officers, who quite commonly use suppressed variants for dispatching pest or dangerous animals without causing undue alarm, and can still be found used by some police snipers thanks to the low recoil and low volume making it ideal for urban environments.

.22 rifles are generally accurate out to 100m, with the pistols generally topping out at 70m. The practical ranges tend to be less, as the light weight of the cartridge causes a slight inaccuracy as the bullet drops from supersonic to subsonic speeds at the far end of it's range. This is present in any weapon, but can tend to be more noticable in the lighter rounds.

As the .22 is a popular target/pest control/small game gun, that uses inexpensive cartridges that are both very light and sold in large boxes containing 50 or more bullets, the .22 could be a very good weapon to include alongside the makarov as the ammo would be just as, if not more common.

In game terms what this would translate to is a another "Tier 0" weapon, a beginners gun that is incredibly common and very hard to run out of ammo for, but is crap for PvP due to very low stopping power and not accurate for long range shooting. The quiet shot, abundance of ammo, and the ability for it to come in a slightly (4X at most) scoped rifle, would make the .22 an excellent zombie killing weapon as when you are facing them, you generally try to aim for the head anyways to conserve ammo.

Because of the minimal penetration of a .22, damage in game terms would be limited to 500-600 blood, and bullet drop should match the ranges above. I think this would be a good thing to have in the standalone as the current gun selection is really limited on 'civilian' weapons, especially when it comes to primary weapons, which creates a niche for a quiet, low damage weapon for people looking to take out zeds without attracting too much attention.

• Like 2

.22 LR probably has equal or more stopping power than 9mm.

That just a guess though. I am not a firearm genius.

actually a 9mm has 3x the muzzle energy ft/lbs then a 22 :)

.22 LR probably has equal or more stopping power than 9mm.

That just a guess though. I am not a firearm genius.

6555621_f520_zps9726f4bd.jpg

Not necessarily the same exact rounds you'd encounter in DayZ, but it gives you an idea.

• Like 1

I grew up around alot of guns.. and my input is this. I think the .22 idea is good.. the thing is this kind of weapon is designed for killing pests, birds, rodents etc hence the small calibur.

The main use for a .22 could be for hunting animals in dayz.

simple. :D

^^^

What he said, .22 are no good unless for survival means. With the variation of other arms in this game it would be pointless to add something that would classed worse than a Hatchet.

• Like 1

Yes it is under powered but when military weapons become rare, and hunting rifles become normal gear, the 22 will i think become a valuable tool.

Example of hunting rounds

30-06

303 Lee-Enfield

308/7.62x51

300win mag

All very effective rounds of course, but you will have a lot less ammo then the current AK, AR, M16, M4 ammo, also they r all very loud

As these hunting weapons become common, you will be more welcoming of a quiet 22 rifle with a box of 250 rounds.

Edited by thomas28

.22 LR is the perfect zombie killer. There's no reason it shouldn't be in the game. The more guns and more types of guns in the game, the better. Variety is the spice of life. And DayZ :P

• Like 1

I would say add .223 rifles to the game. These guns have a lot more kick than a .22 but are still practical hunting rifles. Also, .223 rifles can fire 5.56 NATO rounds through it, meaning that you could split an STAGNAG into 6 5 round 5.56 for use in a .223 rifle.

I would say add .223 rifles to the game. These guns have a lot more kick than a .22 but are still practical hunting rifles. Also, .223 rifles can fire 5.56 NATO rounds through it, meaning that you could split an STAGNAG into 6 5 round 5.56 for use in a .223 rifle.

223 vs 22 Pretty pointless comparison but here it is.

22_vs_223_caliber_bullet.jpg

But i'm sure they will add Ruger Mini 14 in 223

Edited by thomas28