3rdparty

Best Documentaries

90 posts in this topic

I did read an article recently about a documentary following games creators from the 80's and onward. It looked great but I've forgotten the name :(

It followed some of the original guy's from making their first games sitting in their bedroom's with a ZX Spectrum and what happened to them. I'd love to see it.

Edited by Fraggle

Never watched it yet, but I've seen it in all the local papers when it came out over here.

I hear it's an okay movie, but at least they get to talk to the people closest to Marley as never before.

A show that is pretty much a documentary every episode would be Paranormal Witness on "Space" in Canada, and I'm pretty sure it's on "Syfy" in the US. Great show, but I've only been able to watch 3-4 out of about 8 episodes because for some reason 3-4 channels on my tv box don't seem to work properly. They are 4 of the best channels I've got, and they get all pixely n' the sound goes off and on...

Any ways, check out "Paranormal Witness"!

Another super scary series online is on a site called, "JKCinemas" and they have a series they've made called, "Urban Legends".

I've watched many of them in the past, and not sure about the new ones or if they even make new ones. I'll see though, but here's the link for them!

JKCinema - Urban Legends:

http://www.jkcinema.com/gamesmov.asp?type=5

I'd start from the start, as I know those were great! MAke sure to watch them all, and bookmark it if you don't finish them!

(Watch alone in dark!!!)

While they're not documentaries in the way you'd normally think of a documentary, they're still very interesting. I love documentaries, so I have a bunch of stuff I can post.

Suicide Forest in Japan

Interview with a Cannibal (Issei Sagawa)

Use your head and heed the warning if you can't stand B&W images of gore.

3rdparty and HarunDanyal gave beans to this

Nice one peeps, will begin with Napoleon shortly XD And will watch your other suggestions, I get the feeling that multiple conversations may spring up, so one at a time XD

I did read an article recently about a documentary following games creators from the 80's and onward. It looked great but I've forgotten the name :(

It followed some of the original guy's from making their first games sitting in their bedroom's with a ZX Spectrum and what happened to them. I'd love to see it.

Had a quick search but found various olde documentaries, do ye know when it was made?

Yeah that Japanese suicide forest thing is interesting, I read some articles about that a last year.

"he himself, then relapsed into laughter" XD XD XD

If you guys like documentaries http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/ has a lot of them.

Yeeeea go on it all ze time, but i feel like ive cherry picked some of the best ones

:S

In ze mean time, heres two unreleased documentary trailers that will be fucking intriguing watches. (already seen el sicario myself so I can vouche for that XD)

El Sicario: Room 164 (Self confession of a 2O year veteran Mexican Police Commander who is simultaneously a hitman/torturer/narcotraffick enforcer)

Ayahuasca Project/Jungle Prescription (A cure for addiction?)

Edited by 3rdParty

Here's a nice 4-part documentary about the Rise and Fall of Napoleon I found enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tORG__mggF8

Yea thats pretty cool, just watched the first one and tbh.. im probably gonna watch the rest of em now XD

Been interested in looking into european colonial empires for a while, but was never too sure where to start. Eventually found what i felt to be a nice starting point with the dutch navy expansion >1500s and found a good book on it. This documentary is a nice segment to fill in though XD

"he himself, then relapsed into laughter" XD XD XD

Yeah cracks me up every time, especially the guy climbing the tree and the radio ops getting the cable wrapped around the trunk lol :lol:

Pretty good one about the history of zombies and possible real life zombie apocalypse scenarios

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbVH__mc998

Edited by Dr Cheese

Here's a nice 4-part documentary about the Rise and Fall of Napoleon I found enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tORG__mggF8

Ai that was a very good series, enjoyed it muchly, thanks for sharing XD Bob Marley Doc is next methinks XD

Yeah cracks me up every time, especially the guy climbing the tree and the radio ops getting the cable wrapped around the trunk lol :lol:

Pretty good one about the history of zombies and possible real life zombie apocalypse scenarios

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbVH__mc998

lol yea tis hilarious that vid, ive seen that passionate acidic giggle so many times, so good to see it in elderly footage too XD

Never watched it yet, but I've seen it in all the local papers when it came out over here.

I hear it's an okay movie, but at least they get to talk to the people closest to Marley as never before.

Couldnt find it :( Would be interesting to see how its handles his life story as I feel sometimes Marley can be painted in a light that doesnt show his shadows, like Gandhi (clearly different peeps and different scales but i think the parallels in their image is relevant)

In the mean time, heres another documentary style, visually moreish piece of cinema Samsara (WATCH IT IN 1080p!)

Here's one for those of you who can't sleep at night :D.

lol, luckily at the moment I can sleep at night.... actually i can SLEEP, maybe not necessarily at night XD

BLeh, tbh I dunno about this, cant say I watched it but ive been turned off ALL alien/ufo docs for many years. Mostly because I feel like they're a distraction.

Im assuming you and many other peeps have seen ancient aliens, and i think that series and many other UFO documentaries can be summarized by this pic

ancient-aliens-it-was-aliens.jpg

I really dont even have an opinion on it anymore, just not worth pursuing, wont get any answers, and youll be more likely to wind yourself up and buy into some crackpot theory.

If you are interested in this topic I would say the most interesting thing ive seen was the Disclosure Project, only because its an organisation that is littered with Astronauts of the past 50 years, aswell as many other long term professionals whove worked for the military and air force.

But otherwise, i think its more important at the moment for us to be looking around instead of up at the sky.

A show that is pretty much a documentary every episode would be Paranormal Witness on "Space" in Canada, and I'm pretty sure it's on "Syfy" in the US. Great show, but I've only been able to watch 3-4 out of about 8 episodes because for some reason 3-4 channels on my tv box don't seem to work properly. They are 4 of the best channels I've got, and they get all pixely n' the sound goes off and on...

Any ways, check out "Paranormal Witness"!

Another super scary series online is on a site called, "JKCinemas" and they have a series they've made called, "Urban Legends".

I've watched many of them in the past, and not sure about the new ones or if they even make new ones. I'll see though, but here's the link for them!

JKCinema - Urban Legends:

http://www.jkcinema....smov.asp?type=5

I'd start from the start, as I know those were great! MAke sure to watch them all, and bookmark it if you don't finish them!

(Watch alone in dark!!!)

:( see above

i wanna watch a documentary... or a collection of... .. facts...

Here is one about the very early stages of computing.

http://www.viddler.com/v/42c8494f

Yea that was really good, tbh there is a funny moment at 7:26 where someone refers to Doug Engelbart (creator of the mouse), as a tragedy due to no one knowing of his contribution to interactive computing, comparing it to no one hearing of THomas Eddison and his contributions with the bulb and electricity. Ironic as eddison neither created the first light bulb (it was Humphry Davy), neither did he provide the type of electricity that powers everything from personal to commercial to industrial scale, AC was invented by Nikola Tesla (the most under-appreciated and greatest inventor (in my opinion) of all recorded history) Infact theres a rich history of how Eddison tried to destroy Tesla for the sake of his image, probably one of the reasons no one knows of his contributions, but thats another documentary XD

Tbh along these lines I thought this documentary was gonna be about Alan Turing and Jon V Neumann (creators of the first computers) in WW2, which woulda been interesting because its only been in the last few years, that British documents have been declassified to show that a car mechanic by the name of Tommy Flowers, actually created the worlds first programmable computer XD

Heres a good documentary of the first ever computer, finally giving Tommy Flowers some recognition, enjoy

hello there

THE best Documentary series ever is "The World at War". Fascinating and harrowing, with uber luvvie Larwence Oliver Narrating.

Even the opening sequence is terriffic.

Splendid stuff.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
Wolfensteinsaurus and 3rdparty gave beans to this

hello there

THE best Documentary series ever is "The World at War". Fascinating and harrowing, with uber luvvie Larwence Oliver Narrating.

Even the opening sequence is terriffic.

Splendid stuff.

Rgds

LoK

YEs World at War is amazing, few inaccuracies but can be forgiven seeing as it was only as up to date at the time. Even Albert Speer is interviewed on it before he was undeniably revealed to be a nazi bell end (shoulda been kinda obvious given his CV). But yea, tis a long and brilliant watch. The episode that deals with the USA island hoping towards Japan has got some crazy color stock footage.

Edited by 3rdParty

While they're not documentaries in the way you'd normally think of a documentary, they're still very interesting. I love documentaries, so I have a bunch of stuff I can post.

Suicide Forest in Japan

Ai that was pretty good, finally realised why my mate suggested it, as hes always pounding through Vice Documentaries. Some of em are really good but sometimes I feel like Vice can come off a bit pretentious.

I saw a really weird documentary on suicide called the Bridge a couple o weeks ago which is about the San Fransisco Golden Gate Bridge which is apparently the worlds number one suicide hot spot :S

Didnt realise after I watched it that the film maker actually tricked authorities into filming the bridge for a year, which means all those people that were shown jumping off the bridge... were infact real people jumping off a bridge :S Made me feel a bit sick tbh.

Although I think its moronic for me to point out how morbid the topic is, I think that vice suicide forest handled the topic better then the Bridge, was just a bit interesting how the director chose to present it :S

Onto the cannibal interview XD

Edited by 3rdParty

Hullo again,

A documentaryesque based film/movie is "Munich" which although is a bit free and easy with some facts, shows the kidnap and firefight and subsequent killing of the hostages in a "true" sense.

Again fascinating and harrowing and a nice insight into Mossad for those with no prior knowledge.

I must watch more comedy methinks.

Rgds

LoK

3rdparty gave beans to this

Cannibal (Issei Sagawa)

That, was fucking horrible. :S

Interesting insight I guess but that guy really needs to go to jail. The media reaction I thought was even more harrowing but strangely predictable, urgh, no arrangement of letters and words can describe the retching im going through :S

The media hype actually reminds me think of a fictional film called S.F.W (so fucking what) which is quite an old film about a group of people who get taken hostage in a corner shop, and the only demands of the captors is for everything they film is shown on TV. After the hostage situation ends, the survivors become celebrities without anyone actually acknowledging what actually happened to them. Tis a pretty good watch.

Edited by 3rdParty