mattlightfoot

Should we remove barbed wire in the next update

Barbed Wire  

1. 1. Should we remove barbed wire?

• Yes
    • No

It brings literally nothing but griefing to the game. It serves no purpose, literally no purpose other then to grief. It doesn't stop zombies. Maybe it has one use, it can stop players, but that has no use at all.

• Like 1

Keep the "Barbed Wire", but please add a loot drop for "Wire Cutters", or something that you CAN USE to remove portions of the "Barbed Wire"... ;)

Think of how ACE does it with fences etc. in ArmA 2, as in where if you have "Wire Cutters" you can cut sections of fence etc. away to gain access.

To be honest the only issue with wires are the glitches for those that have them. Oh noes my fire house door is blocked I can't get in. At best this is a time waste. If something is blocked off, really easy solution is to log into another server walk around it, go back. continue on. Once on the other side of them you can remove them. Tool box fairly easy for me to find. (Hell with finding matches though jesus...) All these things people are mentioning "they block off good spawns" well...to be honest if I found some IRL and seen an area that might have more supplies for me later, yes I would do that. The ghosting solution isn't a noble by any means resort but if someone wants to use the wire that way I'll take the five minutes to log into another server just to get to the "magic" spot on the wire. As far as scripting wire and traps every where ... well...I'd vacate the server as its obvious a skiddie is there often enough to do that. (Having encountered a time when the Northern Barracks was completely surrounded by tank traps and wire.)

And as far as I know...I've never broken my legs vaulting wire. Nor started bleeding, so to me the only issue is the double stacked wires behind doors and such.

The ghosting solution isn't a noble by any means resort but....

but nothing. if the solution is server hopping then it should go

• Like 1

lol, i was told they stopped z's, but they don't, they only annoy players. once i found a building that i could not enter whatsoever so no loot for me.

however, removing it would make the toolbox useless, however, so remove it, fix it (make it stop z's, make players able to get over it with a slower rate than getting over fences, stop the graphical glitches, and make it so it isn't bloody hard to remove them with the toolbox), and then put it back in again, but for now remove it.

Seems to me that barbed wire ought to stop zombies, while players should be able to vault over, or walk through slowly. I mean, zombies would just walk into it and get all tangled up right? whereas its not that hard to get through if you are careful IRL. So i'd say get rid of it if you don't make changes like this... because as others have pointed out, it has no real value at the moment and is only used for griefing.

If the graphical glitches can be fixed and make it so that you don't have to find the one hundredth of an inch wide spot to remove them to get the out of your way no, otherwise i say yes until they can be fixed, or become at least useful to survival, like Stopping, slowing, and/or at least injuring zombies that pass through it, breaking their legs or something.

Keep it if you can fix it.

Much of the con discussion here seems to lament the fact that folks use barbed wire to block off entrances -- but really, that's what it's there for! I don't consider this trolling but rather a deliberate game function that adds to realism, immersion and the overall challenge. I get excited when I come across one of these barbed fences because it means that someone is or has been there.

I've used wire once so far to block off Devil's Castle, and it was useful (albeit buggy as hell, as we all know). Personally I have no interest in sealing off high-value/high-risk targets like the fire station or barracks, but if that's where someone wants to camp (read: patiently await certain death) then why not? They are sure, sooner or later, to be violently evicted by an enterprising survivor with a toolkit and a gun... and perhaps this accurately reflects real-world behavior. If I were trying to survive a zombie apocalypse and came across some barbed wire, I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a barricade for my hideout.

Keep it if you can fix it.

Much of the con discussion here seems to lament the fact that folks use barbed wire to block off entrances -- but really, that's what it's there for! I don't consider this trolling but rather a deliberate game function that adds to realism, immersion and the overall challenge. I get excited when I come across one of these barbed fences because it means that someone is or has been there.

I've used wire once so far to block off Devil's Castle, and it was useful (albeit buggy as hell, as we all know). Personally I have no interest in sealing off high-value/high-risk targets like the fire station or barracks, but if that's where someone wants to camp (read: patiently await certain death) then why not? They are sure, sooner or later, to be violently evicted by an enterprising survivor with a toolkit and a gun... and perhaps this accurately reflects real-world behavior. If I were trying to survive a zombie apocalypse and came across some barbed wire, I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a barricade for my hideout.

The thing is the spawn reset isn't realistic. You would make yourself a base at a firestation because it has a nest, but you wouldn't happen to have guns appearing randomly in your camp. The problem is it limits other's players experience when someone had access to a loot spawn, blocked the entrance, and someone that came after did not. It's not fair at all. I have no problem with people placing tents up high buildings and barricading the thing, but when it limits the access to loot spawns, there's a problem.

Seems to me that barbed wire ought to stop zombies, while players should be able to vault over, or walk through slowly. I mean, zombies would just walk into it and get all tangled up right? whereas its not that hard to get through if you are careful IRL. So i'd say get rid of it if you don't make changes like this... because as others have pointed out, it has no real value at the moment and is only used for griefing.

As a kid I jumped my fair share of fences with barbed wire, alot of the time with a gutful of booze. So if a tanked up teenager can climb up and go over barbed wire, why cant an adult, who possibly has military experience. Player characters should be able to navigate through, sure it should slow them down, even cut them so they need to bandage themselves, but IRL barbed wire fencing is nothing more than a deterent, not a impenetrable barrier! Agree with the zombies though. They dont have the brains to negotiate through. Only brains they have now are the ones they eat! ;)

Edited by DonkiiPuncH
  • Like 2

The thing is the spawn reset isn't realistic. You would make yourself a base at a firestation because it has a nest, but you wouldn't happen to have guns appearing randomly in your camp. The problem is it limits other's players experience when someone had access to a loot spawn, blocked the entrance, and someone that came after did not. It's not fair at all. I have no problem with people placing tents up high buildings and barricading the thing, but when it limits the access to loot spawns, there's a problem.

Point taken. The loot spawn issue is something that would need to be tweaked somehow to accommodate blockades. Still, I don't think it requires major changes: IRL people would go around trying to fence off hospitals, police stations & other places with potentially valuable stuff inside, claiming it all for themselves and preventing fair access by others. I've been playing DayZ for months now and I've never had much of a problem accessing loot, even though I've come across wire a few times. It's not like wire is some massive problem that keeps people from gaining any loot, or have you experienced otherwise?

quick follow-up: tweaks might be along the lines of changing how loot spawns inside "occupied" buildings, and definitely changing the way players and zombies pass over wire fences. It's like DonkiiPunch says above:

As a kid I jumped my fair share of fences with barbed wire, alot of the time with a gutful of booze. So if a tanked up teenager can climb up and go over barbed wire, why cant an adult, who possibly has military experience. Player characters should be able to navigate through, sure it should slow them down, even cut them so they need to bandage themselves, but IRL barbed wire fencing is nothing more than a deterent, not a impenetrable barrier! Agree with the zombies though. They dont have the brains to negotiate through. Only brains they have now are the ones they eat! ;)

Point taken. The loot spawn issue is something that would need to be tweaked somehow to accommodate blockades. Still, I don't think it requires major changes: IRL people would go around trying to fence off hospitals, police stations & other places with potentially valuable stuff inside, claiming it all for themselves and preventing fair access by others. I've been playing DayZ for months now and I've never had much of a problem accessing loot, even though I've come across wire a few times. It's not like wire is some massive problem that keeps people from gaining any loot, or have you experienced otherwise?

:o fast repply. Great :D

Actually, I had some good and bad experiences. Some servers I went in were filled with them, some had them occasionally. I agree it's nothing of a game breaking problem but it is an hassle, especially for those of us who dislike server hoping.

I believe making it impossible to put them around some areas (like big cities) would solve the problem. I'm thinking about something along the same way they make it zone restricted to harvest wood.

:o fast repply. Great :D

Haha yeah I'm on it =P

Actually, I had some good and bad experiences. Some servers I went in were filled with them, some had them occasionally. I agree it's nothing of a game breaking problem but it is an hassle, especially for those of us who dislike server hoping.

I believe making it impossible to put them around some areas (like big cities) would solve the problem. I'm thinking about something along the same way they make it zone restricted to harvest wood.

I hear ya. To make blockades/wires work, the whole issue of loot spawns and server hopping needs to be further addressed; I suspect they're working on it as we speak. I think if you make all barricades passable even without tools (albeit with significant slow-down and risk of injury) then that solves most problems. Maybe also introduce some element of "decay" so that barricades fall apart over time.

Why dont you poll this? Or did you count the yes and no by yourself? :D

• Like 3

Wire fencing, the perfect trolling item. I remove this crap everyday from my server, I know who does it too. Annoying bastards.

Yes ... they are important for defense, BUT, if they are causing problems they must go, simple like that.