Justine42

I will never adopt the kill on site mentality

I believe in humanity.

I may have died numerous times, and lost some stuff - but that stuff is just fluff.

I may die 80% oft the time, but the remaining 20% of the time I am pleased to make a new friend. In a scary world, knowing that there is a few people that believe in humanity the way you do, really makes you think we can get through this hell world.

If you see me in game just give me a friendly hello, or shoot me and take my axe and food and drink that will sustain you for a couple of hours.

Kill on site? I say Hello on Site, no matter how many times I die, I will never kill on site, because I believe in humanity.

• Like 26

I dont say hello nor shoot... I only say "Friendly ?" And then low geared people run away xD

I agree with everything but your spelling of the word sight.

Sorry about that, I am web developer and sometimes I mix up site and sight.

I refuse to adopt any 'on sight' attitude. I'm too paranoid to stay around players if I don't know who they are. I suppose if they see me first and say 'Friendly', and i don't see them, then that's another story however.

Justine42 I applaud your attitude. And if I ever see you I might just give you something good. For far too long I have been in the similar situation and occasionally I still take a chance to see if players are decent and it is usually the ones that have just spawned that make me believe in people again

I consider shoot on sight cowardly.

I play for fun, so I rarely shoot until somebody else shoots first.

That said I have killed a couple of innocents because they decided a good resting spot was at the top of a tall building with a rifle equipped. How could I not think they where snipers?

Personally I don't believe I'd Kill-on-sight but I haven't ran into anyone just yet. I mean, the zombies are the enemy, right? ...right?? :)

My friends and I only shoot if other players if they are a possible threat to us. If your looting a town we want to loot, then we have to get rid of you sorry :(.However If you are 300m away in the middle of nowhere going in a different direction you are not a threat to us so we leave you be. We've had to adopt this posture of proactive defense because it's too dangerous to trust unknown people. We have been burned by our trusting nature far too much.

• Like 1

The shoot on sight argument is more valid the further you get away from the beach. The further North and North West you go, the more likely you are to run into bandits. Excepts, of course, are Cherno and Elektro. I personally consider anything North of Solnichniy (exceptions for Cherno and Elektro of course) to be bat country.

Still, I will always stand by my "shooting is dumb" policy. I use the run, hide, fight method as detailed in this terrible public service video below: It's how I keep myself alive for days on end.

• Like 1

I don't kill on site. I just don't say friendly anymore. The word doesn't mean anything.

"You can have a bullet to the brain, or a can of beans" is a much better opening line.

What's funny is most people that feel the need to say they wont KOS haven't played that long. Play a little longer and you'll realize there is just staying alive or dying. I don't kill everything I see but I'm considered a bandit because you have to kill to stay live. You will KOS doesn't mean your an ass hole or even a mean player, just a true survivor.

Thanks for the replies it's good to know that there are others who play this game like I do.

My friends and I only shoot if other players if they are a possible threat to us. If your looting a town we want to loot, then we have to get rid of you sorry :(.However If you are 300m away in the middle of nowhere going in a different direction you are not a threat to us so we leave you be. We've had to adopt this posture of proactive defense because it's too dangerous to trust unknown people. We have been burned by our trusting nature far too much.

I understand your situation, and for the most part I play this game solo. However if you have a couple of friends and are cooperating together, and you come across a lone survivor and are competing for resources, why must you kill that survivor? If you truely believe in humanity, as I do, you would only resort to killing when given no other choice. If you consider this person a threat, then why not disarm them and let them keep their life? Confront them at gunpoint, let them know your intentions and if they comply they can live.

Twice now I have come across groups of people, I salute, I drop to the ground, I press CTRL+R and lower my weapon (if i even have one) And they would proceed to kill me anyway.

If you truely believed in humanity, you would give everyone a chance to live, and only kill when absolutely necessary.

What's funny is most people that feel the need to say they wont KOS haven't played that long. Play a little longer and you'll realize there is just staying alive or dying. I don't kill everything I see but I'm considered a bandit because you have to kill to stay live. You will KOS doesn't mean your an ass hole or even a mean player, just a true survivor.

I appreciate your opinion, thank you for taking the time to reply. I've been playing this game now for about a month, The reason I made this post is because I always hear this argument - yadda yadda I tried in the past to be humane, and it never works out so now I kill on sight.

I will not accept this fate just yet, and just give in to the dark side.

• Like 3

Kill everyone, take their beans, say thank you.

Works for me.

• Like 1

The reason I made this post is because I always hear this argument - yadda yadda I tried in the past to be humane, and it never works out so now I kill on sight.

I will not accept this fate just yet, and just give in to the dark side.

Here here!

Thanks for the replies it's good to know that there are others who play this game like I do.

I understand your situation, and for the most part I play this game solo. However if you have a couple of friends and are cooperating together, and you come across a lone survivor and are competing for resources, why must you kill that survivor? If you truely believe in humanity, as I do, you would only resort to killing when given no other choice. If you consider this person a threat, then why not disarm them and let them keep their life? Confront them at gunpoint, let them know your intentions and if they comply they can live.

Twice now I have come across groups of people, I salute, I drop to the ground, I press CTRL+R and lower my weapon (if i even have one) And they would proceed to kill me anyway.

If you truely believed in humanity, you would give everyone a chance to live, and only kill when absolutely necessary.

I believe in humanity just not anonymity over the internet in a computer game. I'm a pragmatist when I first started playing this game many months ago I said I'd never shoot anyone unless it was in self defense and for the most part when I met strangers in the game they didn't shoot they either played with you a little while or you parted ways. However over the life cycle of the mod the action of shooting on sight spread at first mostly due to boredom from earlier players not having a challenge in the game anymore and went on to forever changed the culture of the game. During the many months of playing my friends and I have had to adapt our play styles to the changing conditions. We once were like you but now we are survivors in the game and understand the unwritten rules. For your future in this game you could hold true to what you believe but eventually you'll get fed up with dying to random acts of violence and have to make a choice; perhaps in time you'll turn out like we did, you may yet even become a bandit or the most probable if you stick to completely trusting strangers on the internet is that you'll just give up on the game.

• Like 1

I don't shot on sight, but I do have a very itchy trigger finger. Friendlies get food, gear, and medical assistance if they need it. Hostiles get a vitamin supplement delivered by way of 7.62 jacketed "syringes".

I believe in humanity just not anonymity over the internet in a computer game. I'm a pragmatist when I first started playing this game many months ago I said I'd never shoot anyone unless it was in self defense and for the most part when I met strangers in the game they didn't shoot they either played with you a little while or you parted ways. However over the life cycle of the mod the action of shooting on sight spread at first mostly due to boredom from earlier players not having a challenge in the game anymore and went on to forever changed the culture of the game. During the many months of playing my friends and I have had to adapt our play styles to the changing conditions. We once were like you but now we are survivors in the game and understand the unwritten rules. For your future in this game you could hold true to what you believe but eventually you'll get fed up with dying to random acts of violence and have to make a choice; perhaps in time you'll turn out like we did, you may yet even become a bandit or the most probable if you stick to completely trusting strangers on the internet is that you'll just give up on the game.

I had the same conclusion than you over how the game changed with time.

Main problem is people are too focussed on killing instead of surviving (trust me, it's VERY easy to survive if you evade players and have a tent, some bottles of water and the tools to gather and cook food from animals).

Altough Rocket has always been trying to give players the freedom to do whatever they want, it's getting clear now that bandits (including shoot on sight survivors) don't try to act as in a zombie apocalypse but rather as a hunger game scenario because it just doesn't feel like a tough world. Cooperation with strangers isn't required to survive and shooting people has no real consequences (zombies are a joke of a threat, I feel more confortable with 20 of them running for me than with a player with a makarov at 300 meters looking away from me). Guns are also very common so the new players from Bf3 and Cod just assume it's fun to "be 1337 with 51CK H34D5H0T5!"

Most people assume the fun of dayz stops at being the last to survive.