p3fr

intel against bandits

Hi devs, hi community !

First of all, this game (&mod) is a great one, but it can be really frustrating sometimes.

There is much complaining about players being shot by other players, but this is shurly one of the interesting aspects of the game.

On the other hand it is far too easy being a bandit, not even that: it is also a goal worth achieving (meaning, you get a cool skin and and a lot of loot from your victims).

One of the main "quests" in this game is to kill bandits.

But it is hard to get a sniper before he gets you (mostly it is luck).

So there should be something that makes it harder for being a bad guy, and giving the survivors and especially heroes some advantage over them.

I suggest something like an "organistation" that helps out with inteligence information about known Bandits.

Being more precise:

- getting information should require some communication device (may be found first)

- u may get randomly some coordinates of bandits near to u:

- if u are a bandit you won't get information

- the probability for the information being useful increases with your own humanity

- the probability for the info being useful may increasy with the "badness" of the bandit the info refers to

I think something like that would prevent the "first shoot the talk" behaviour and increases the chance of creating more (non-premade) teams.

Also it may be also much more fun being a bandit, cause now u might be even the one being hunted and it might be much more challanging at last (meaning: not just laying around, sniping guys for hours and making a youtube video from your "godlike" abitlies).

I think all sides (the good, the bad and even the ugly) would gain benefit from that.

Thank in advance for you comments.

• Like 2

There are whole clans dedicated to what i think your talking about

Maybe, but wouldn't it be nice to have that implemented as a feature ?

Causal player would have better chances without being bound to something like a clan, so creating teams at hoc.

While I think people who just sit up on a hill and snipe people are annoying, I don't think providing a location of someone who happens to have a low humanity score, making them a target, is very fair. I'd prefer something to provide a location of someone firing at you, since those exist and they'd have to be sure of the shot.

Causal player would have better chances without being bound to something like a clan, so creating teams at hoc.

Casual players should just play something else.

This forced balancing for the poor player is not what Dayz is about, if it does become what it's about then i will have to stop playing it.

• Like 1

No.

I play often but if someone wants to pick up DayZ infrequently, and not care much what happens to their character, that's fine too.

While I think people who just sit up on a hill and snipe people are annoying, I don't think providing a location of someone who happens to have a low humanity score, making them a target, is very fair. I'd prefer something to provide a location of someone firing at you, since those exist and they'd have to be sure of the shot.

I think you got me wrong.

I *don't* mean something like: a permanent follwoing "dot" at the map, or an indicator on the screen or having intel all the time or letting the info be always really exact or permanent.

Just randomly and leaking trough to you.

But btw. one of the games goals is to get rig of bandits, isn't it ?

So if you choose to be one you are already a target.

This forced balancing for the poor player is not what Dayz is about, if it does become what it's about then i will have to stop playing it.

This suggestion is not really for balancing for the poor player (maybe implicit, but not intented and it wouldn't change that much for them).

Its more about, that there should be some consequences for killing people.

I just think (it maybe hust my opiniton at least) the benefits for bandits are just too high, the job is too easy.

At least there should be a way to chase them more easy.

Oh, wooow! That comment helps a lot.

(didn't thought there would be any poor, flaming WOW-players in that forum)

Totally unrealistic, you are just looking for an easier way to score sniper gear. If people want to create Hunter-Killer teams out there and go after us (snipers), more power to them.

Since when is getting intelligence information unrealisic ?

Btw. it is not meant for looting snipers, there may be such guys - but also it can be an indicator for quite poor players.

But if you can blame me, i wonder if you are able so give a good suggestion what would be a "realistic power" you can give your so called "Hunter-Killer" teams ?

(And i hope your are not a kid who thinks of Harry Potters cloak)

Getting information on the location of a bandit, even if it's just a single set of coordinates, while something that is possible, it's not usually when there's nothing to get the information from. There isn't someone with a drone and thermal flying above, Unless you have someone else to spot them, this information comes from nowhere. Like I said, a piece of equipment like the Raytheon BBN Boomerang could work. It wouldn't be overpowered, and the bandit has to be confident the shot will kill the player. They may also be hesitant about attacking groups of people. The Boomerang Warrior X actually can be attached to a tactical vest.

Edited by Canadian Sniper

[...]

Like I said, a piece of equipment like the Raytheon BBN Boomerang could work.

[...]

That would be really cool and also a nice solution.

Did not know that something like that is already in use. (is it ? -> i'll google, buf if you know more, you may tell)

I'm not shure (i'm not really an expert for military equipment), but for me it seem like expensive high-end technology.

Getting information on the location of a bandit, even if it's just a single set of coordinates, while something that is possible, it's not usually when there's nothing to get the information from. There isn't someone with a drone and thermal flying above, Unless you have someone else to spot them, this information comes from nowhere.

[...]

This argument would be countered easier if the plot/setting wouldn't be that of DAYZ (meaning: post-apocalytic world & Zombies).

Otherwise there would are a lot of sources for that information (f.e. civil population, agents, ...)

On the other hand, if something like the "Boomerang warrior X" would be realized in that game, there would be also the chance that drones, satellites or simply cameras exist.

But i admit, i did not really thought about that part ("where could the information come from ?") ... but hey maybe this community can think something up.

Thanks for you ideas Canadian Sniper

• Like 1

No.

Instead I'd love to see more clues in nature, like tracks, marks, empty weapons cartridges, etc. Used tin cans? Other waste? It could fade or de-spawn after a certain time. It would make the whole thing much more of a hunt. Don't get me wrong, it already is, but it's more based upon luck and knowledge of good spots to hide or snipe from, than actual knowledge of tracking.

No problem. As far as it being expensive, high end equipment, so is a military sniper rifle. An as-50 anti-material rifle, though it's several years old, apparently costs between $10,000- $15,000. I think making it about as rare as nvg's might work. There could also be car mounted models.

Also, tracking the person from tracks and evidence they leave behind would add a lot to the game. It would certainly be more interesting, especially if the standalone includes seasons. Tracking someone in winter would be very different from tracking in summer. Good idea.

Edited by Canadian Sniper

Maybe, but wouldn't it be nice to have that implemented as a feature ?

No it wouldnt. If that is ever implemented (which it wont be) then you should also make it so bandits get info on survivors and heroes and know their locations