Jamesjames33

Better vehicle protection

We have all been there. You find a car with your group, spend hours searching and scavenging for the engine, wheels and fuel. Finally you finish your master piece, and take it for a joy ride. Later on while looting towns, you hide the car outside of town while you go in. You come back and find your car is missing, only to be stolen by one simple mouse scroll of entering the vehicle. Hours of time lost...

Lets be realistic, no one can just enter a random car without the keys and just drive away.

To fix this, I would like to see improved car protection, possibly including car alarms and car keys.

Each car or truck will have a unique set of keys linked to that specific vehicle. The keys will spawn in the vehicle and will be available in the gear, with multiple keys which can be split to give to your teammates. The players would be able to lock or unlock the car using these keys. A locked vehicle will have protected gear and cannot be easily stolen. If someone tries to enter a locked vehicle without a key, a car alarm will go off that will aggro near by zombies and will alert players within a medium sized radius.

However, a different type of rare special tools which can be looted and added to the tool belt which will allow players without car keys to be able to break into cars they do not own and attempt to hot wire the car. Doing so will cause the car alarm to go off. This process will take a few minutes in order to give the actual owners of the car a chance to protect their vehicle.

Let me know what you think, and if you say this would make the game more like Call of Duty, I will personally kick your ass.

• Like 4

Great idea I've been there before just sitting there and all of a sudden hearing *Vroom* and there goes the perp driving away. This would be a definite boost to the game.

bring it into town you moron

Bringing it into town on populated servers or even on a low populated server is a guarantee for people to hear you, search for you, probably kill you. Then steal your car. Most often not a good solution.

I'd much rather people know that the vehicle is there, and have protection over it then risk people finding my car without me near it. My automatics > your pistols (the typical weaponry of those in towns)

But, great idea and realistic as well, thus staving off the elitists

I do understand the frustration of having a vehicle stolen. However what's stopping me from breaking the window's and just hot wiring the vehicle to start without keys? In a time where vehicles are a precious resource, nobody's going to simply abide by the rules and leave a 'locked' car alone, they're going to do whatever it takes to leave with it.

I do understand the frustration of having a vehicle stolen. However what's stopping me from breaking the window's and just hot wiring the vehicle to start without keys? In a time where vehicles are a precious resource, nobody's going to simply abide by the rules and leave a 'locked' car alone, they're going to do whatever it takes to leave with it.

They still can, but this time a car alarm will go off.

They still can, but this time a car alarm will go off.

Fair enough, I think it would just add more humiliation to the fact that they're driving off with a car alarm blaring and slowly fading away!

• Like 1

Arma dos support the lock/unlock system for vehicle.

Its use in the mission warfare, the 1 that buy a vehicle is the owner off the vehicle and can lock and unlock.

Will be nice if it be in dayz and the risk that it can be stolen is only posble if you have a toolbox whit u.

So you wandered around. Found a vehicle. It had no keys in it but you took it and drove off. Then someone else wanders around. Finds a vehicle. It has no keys in it but they took it and drove off. But you want to stop the second guy from doing it because you really, really liked that vehicle.

You're not supposed to keep it forever. That's why it always spawns in the same place. You take it, drive it around, get blown up by a tank trap or a tree or a well-placed sniper round, and then you start over. If someone is smart or fast enough to find your car and take it, good for them. It's not like there are a bunch of them just lying around. If you don't want to lose your vehicle, play the game nonstop forever. Otherwise, come to terms with the reality that success in this game was designed to be fleeting.

• Like 1

So you wandered around. Found a vehicle. It had no keys in it but you took it and drove off. Then someone else wanders around. Finds a vehicle. It has no keys in it but they took it and drove off. But you want to stop the second guy from doing it because you really, really liked that vehicle.

You're not supposed to keep it forever. That's why it always spawns in the same place. You take it, drive it around, get blown up by a tank trap or a tree or a well-placed sniper round, and then you start over. If someone is smart or fast enough to find your car and take it, good for them. It's not like there are a bunch of them just lying around. If you don't want to lose your vehicle, play the game nonstop forever. Otherwise, come to terms with the reality that success in this game was designed to be fleeting.

What do you mean you're not suppose to keep a vehicle for ever? of course you are.The only reason they aren't is because server resets are constant, it extremely hard to repair a car since everything is broken all they time, and people steal them. This is a realistic feature and solution to the Dayz vehicle system. Plus I think vehicles would be a much more common in a first world country, Ethiopia has more damn vehicles than Chernarus.

Its not going to stop vehicle theft all together, I just want the actual people who spent hours fixing the car to actually have a chance to protect their property.

Its not going to stop vehicle theft all together, I just want the actual people who spent hours fixing the car to actually have a chance to protect their property.

Maybe you only get one key but you have to find other way to make copies of the key for teammate?.

i dont see any reason to be unable to enter into the car without keys, unless you want to add another retarded restriction.

its simple enough to get into a car through window, unless there is some bulletproof glass.

and its possible to start engine without keys also. so car alarm is probably the only good idea around here.

Well, I lost my Ural with many rare weapons and stuffs maybe 1 hour ago.. Now it doesnt even bother me anymore. Happened so many times that Im used to it.

@topic Well this is a good suggestion, but think, what would you do if you came across a car that is locked? Blow it up? Sure. So I think people would just blow these cars up and gtfo off server. And anyway, if it was realistic, the alarm wouldnt be yelling if the car is blown up... ^__^

Edited by Mook

I assaulted a group of four and stole their truck with a double barrel, who left a person with a hatchet as protection as they looted electro. Vehicle protection would add a cool dynamic of, if i want to steal a car from a group, I would have to kill and search each individual until I find the keys. It would be super fun. You get beans, and I would give u more if i could, but this will have to do.....;)

:beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans:

• Like 1

If a vehicel is hotwired once it would be able to be used by anyone that came accross it because you have to break the ignition lock on the steering column, thus key's no longer work to protect it. Add that in somehow and I approve.

So cars would be missing wheels, fuel parts, engine parts, glass etc.. but not the keys? Hm.. also.. i reckon you should be able to booby trap vehicles.. just in case some sneaky guy tries to take a nice go at hotwiring my hippie van >:(

EDIT: Maybe with grenades or satchels :3

Edited by lpcastelow

No, no, no...

Why do people keep suggesting keys and simple stuff like that for protecting vechiles in a zombie apocalypse? What is stopping any survivor from bashing a window open or using a crowbar to pop the trunk of some car and get your gear? If you have the technical knowledge to replace a car's engine, you have the technical knowledge to jump start it.

You want to make it harder for people to steal your car? Remove a "key" piece from the engine or some other vital area. Now, the person who finds it will have to replace the entire engine, which takes a lot of slots and time to find and lug around, while you can fix it with an item that should occupy less than one slot (probly even go in the toolbelt) of your inventory.

Cars are supposed to change hands, as pretty much everything else in the game. The objective is not to prevent it, but to make it harder.

PD: How about removing the sterring wheel? It has to be an item that doesn't spawn in the regular loot piles, something which you can only have if you own a car. That way, you cannot farm for it, you have to take it from someone else.

Edited by Deathcall

I think the idea is sound, as long as there are other workarounds and hav ing "the key" to a car doesnt then mean you can just be a moron and leave it anywhere and expect it to be there when you return.

If you find a car you should either need to find the keys, or have a toolbox, the toolbox means you can rig it to hotwire, however if you do hotwire it keys are then no good (except to lock the door) This means if you hotwire it, others can do the same.

as for the car alarms, I dunno. thinking realistically, almost none of the vehicles I have seen in the game would normally have car alarms, ATV's, junky old utes, military trucks etc dont usually have the "screamer 9000" fitted, as their owners are usually not worried about having them stolen. The only few vechiles that would have alarms in real life would be things like the nicer pickup trucks.

I do agree though that it is too much work to get a vechile up when they are so easy to steal. However the above posters point about allowing people to remove parts when they leave a car would fix this nicely also.

sounds alright ( i guess)

but from the title, i thought the post was going to be about putting scraps of metal to protect your vehicles, which does sound nice.