Sign in to follow this  
Vorg

A thought to reduce the shoot on sight only problem

Since there is no way to know if someone is friendly or not and some many only want to just kill, even those who wouldn't mind grouping have to follow a shoot first policy. The humanity rating does little to nothing to help because anyone can put on a ghillie suit and hide the bandit skin.

A modified PVP flag. Most games that have optinal PVP use a flag the player sets to mark if they want pvp or not, but that also makes it all or nothing. Instead, if a player with non-pvp set encounters a player with it set, the flag has no effect, but if a player set for PVE tries to fire at another player with PVE set, the action is blocked and the player/s get a message to "hold fire". They then know the other is friendly.

The PVP flag can not be set while within 100-200m of another player who is not set to prevent abuse by changing it and then attacking. Might also add a timmer like must be 5 minutes after they have moved away from each other.

Bandit killing should only cost 25% of the humanity points lost when killing a non-bandit to allow for self defence.

To help with bandits hiding the fact in ghillie suits, do something like give them a black arm band or head band.

• Like 1

Ughhhh no. PvP is an integral part of this game and it's NEVER going to change

Source: DayZ FAQ

• Like 2

I prefer your final suggestion, a flag which is a visual clue. Perhaps all friendlies could wear lootable, big clown hats so that everyone knows their intent.

Until they put a bullet in your face.

• Like 2

No.

That sounds very hand holding and that is something I do not want to see in Day Z.

If someone wants to shoot you they are going to do it regardless of if you are a bandit or not.

I have a good thought too, if people would actually USE SEARCH! then i would not have to shoot people on sight, as right now i just take my frustration out on any survivor i see, and chances are high i'dd killed somebody that didn't use search, so please, USE SEARCH that would atleast reduce the KOS problem by one person!

The pointless player killing does need to be addressed, but I don't think this is the answer. If you remove the threat of being killed by players then you remove the constant terror that you may be hit at any time, as long as a zombie couldn't see you you'd basically be invincible.

The pointless player killing does need to be addressed, but I don't think this is the answer. If you remove the threat of being killed by players then you remove the constant terror that you may be hit at any time, as long as a zombie couldn't see you you'd basically be invincible.

There is no such thing as pointless player killing; its part of the game and a valid strategy for survival. If you don't want to shoot on sight, don't - I don't either - but that doesn't mean I don't keep my crosshairs dead on their ugly mug until the threat is gone.

The premise that this is a problem is the real problem. If you want a zombie survival game without PvP, go play mine craft.

There is no such thing as pointless player killing; its part of the game and a valid strategy for survival. If you don't want to shoot on sight, don't - I don't either - but that doesn't mean I don't keep my crosshairs dead on their ugly mug until the threat is gone.

The premise that this is a problem is the real problem. If you want a zombie survival game without PvP, go play mine craft.

Sniping on the hills near electro/cherno/kamyshovo/etc just for the lulz is "pointless player killing".

Add another column to the scoreboard screen headed 'Player Kills' which will show how many murders each of us is responsible for.

This will identify those who play this way, it will give them the notoriety they want and help the rest of us decide if they should be helped, avoided or killed when our paths cross.

the single biggest problem with the PVP in this game is that the community as a whole never takes in account the fact that not every encounter needs to end in bullets being traded..

in a real world Apoc. if you were at all leary about another person sighting, you would rabbit and try to avoid the suituation. you wouldnt expose your life to a sudden end, when theres another option..

if people in Dayz simply avoided people instead of always shooting first, the enrite game world would be better for it..

but alas when internet tuff guys can just sit behind their puter screens, and fire away at any moving pixel, the odds of that happening are pretty much nil.

its really a shame that KoS is modusoperanti here... really a shame

hopefully WarZ deals with the KoS problem better..

Edited by Siberian

Killing people literally seconds after they spawn on the beach isn't pointless player killing?

Pointless player killing is NOT a problum. Its part of the game. How to stop it? YOU CAN STOP IT! Form bandit hunting groups, go wait for bandits to snipe on hills. YOU the players can go hunt the bandits if you want. If idiots want to waste their ammo in eletor or cherno and not even loot their bodys GOOD. They will waste ammo and reveal their spot. Stop crying to the devs to fix the problum. Its not a game problum. Its a people problum.

Its called when battlefeild and cod players go on dayz. They want to be mr ghost warrior picking people off from a distance and don't understand their just increasing the chances of them dieing. The shoot on sight problum isn't as bad you think. 60% of most players don't shoot on sight. You just don't know their there. There is a sniper watching you more often then you think. I see tons of snipers sitting the forest, they arent shooting people unless they get spotted or the players come towards them.

Edited by harley001
  • Like 1

Pointless player killing is NOT a problum. Its part of the game. How to stop it? YOU CAN STOP IT! Form bandit hunting groups, go wait for bandits to snipe on hills. YOU the players can go hunt the bandits if you want. If idiots want to waste their amm in eletor or cherno and not even loot their bodys GOOD. They will waste ammo and reveal their spot. Stop crying to the devs to fix the problum. Its not a game problum. Its a people problum.

Its called when battlefeild and cod players go on dayz. They want to be mr ghost warrior picking people off from a distance and don't understand their just increasing the chances of them dieing. The shoot on sight problum isn't as bad you think. 60% of most players don't shoot on sight. You just don't know their there. There is a sniper watching you more often then you think. I see tons of snipers sitting the forest, they arent shooting people unless they get spotted or the players come towards them.

I like it!

I used to play World War II Online....Spend sooooo much time trying to get to the city that your country was trying to take, low crawl through the bushes and try to be sneaky, and after all that effort you get popped. Spawn, and try again!

Pointless player killing is NOT a problum. Its part of the game. How to stop it? YOU CAN STOP IT! Form bandit hunting groups, go wait for bandits to snipe on hills. YOU the players can go hunt the bandits if you want. If idiots want to waste their amm in eletor or cherno and not even loot their bodys GOOD. They will waste ammo and reveal their spot. Stop crying to the devs to fix the problum. Its not a game problum. Its a people problum.

As much as I'd love to spend my down time policing douche bags so that everyone else on the server can enjoy themselves, I'm gonna have to refuse your oh so generous offer. And please don't compare the KoS/Douchey Sniper problem to bandits. Bandits are not a problem.

Edited by Carebear Baddie

As much as I'd love to spend my down time policing douche bags so that everyone else on the server can enjoy themselves, I'm gonna have to refuse your oh so generous offer. And please don't compare the KoS/Douchey Sniper problem to bandits. Bandits are not a problem.

Wait? WHAT!? I am pretty sure any players who kills players for their stuff or kill them to prevent them from progessing and becoming a threat are bandits. *you're so called kos* but it also has alot do with trust. If you just spend 2 hours farming are you really going to risk some random dude ruining it all? Probally not.

BUT PLEASE GIVE ME YOU'RE DEF OF A BANDIT! Because mine is that their people who kill other players for their stuff or for no reason at all. Just because their using a sniper dosen't make them their own kind.

Edited by harley001

Wait? WHAT!? I am pretty sure any players who kills players for their stuff or kill them to prevent them from progessing and becoming a threat are bandits. *you're so called kos* but it also has alot do with trust. If you just spend 2 hours farming are you really going to risk some random dude ruining it all? Probally not.

BUT PLEASE GIVE ME YOU'RE DEF OF A BANDIT! Because mine is that their people who kill other players for their stuff or for no reason at all. Just because their using a sniper dosen't make them their own kind.

We agree then. Pointless killers =/= bandits. Your other post did not make that assertion.

The only two people I've seen in the last three days were actually afk and i could have easily shot or looted them but instead went my own way.

It's a conscious choice we all make, and their shouldn't be flags or stats that drew it, skins would be enough (when they work).

Living in the woods on low pop servers makes reading parts of this forum seem like reading a newspaper from a foreign land. As a lone wolf recluse, dayz is a totally different game.

We agree then. Pointless killers =/= bandits. Your other post did not make that assertion.

You did not listen. Pointless killers and bandits are the same THING. IF YOU ARE A PLAYER WHO IS HUNTING OTHER PLAYERS YOU ARE A BANDIT! IT dosent matter if you want their stuff or just like killing them. You are a bandit. If you are just trying to get by and are not LOOKING FOR a fight then you are a survivor.

And please don't compare the KoS/Douchey Sniper problem to bandits. Bandits are not a problem.

They are both the same thing. A kos/douchey sniper IS a bandit.

Edited by harley001

You did not listen. Pointless killers and bandits are the same THING. IF YOU ARE A PLAYER WHO IS HUNTING OTHER PLAYERS YOU ARE A BANDIT! IT dosent matter if you want their stuff or just like killing them. You are a bandit. If you are just trying to get by and are not LOOKING FOR a fight then you are a survivor.

No, that is entirely incorrect. Stop thinking like the broken humanity system.

Pointless killing is only a problem because the features that will balance it haven't yet been added.

- There's no ability to find out who did it, track him down, revenge kill etc. When players know there are consequences for their kill they'll think twice.

- Also, there's no ability to incapacitate somebody, like tying them up, knocking them unconscious, pinning them down. This would stop a lot of the killing for loot.

Put in those and you restore balance.

No, that is entirely incorrect. Stop thinking like the broken humanity system.

Explain.... TELL ME WHAT A BANDIT IS!

Pointless killing is only a problem because the features that will balance it haven't yet been added.

- There's no ability to find out who did it, track him down, revenge kill etc. When players know there are consequences for their kill they'll think twice.

- Also, there's no ability to incapacitate somebody, like tying them up, knocking them unconscious, pinning them down. This would stop a lot of the killing for loot.

Put in those and you restore balance.

Get rid of the knowing who killed you and taking revenge part and you got a good deal!

Explain.... TELL ME WHAT A BANDIT IS!

A bandit is a person who survives by stealing or killing and stealing from other players. Senseless killing just "because" isn't banditry, its douchebaggery.

A bandit is a person who survives by stealing or killing and stealing from other players. Senseless killing just "because" isn't banditry, its douchebaggery.

I am just going ot ignore you now.

Its not sensless killing they have no clue if you are armed. Not only that but they do not want you progessing. If they kill you then you are no longer a threat for a while. Thus stopping a player who could'ev picked up a assalt rifle and killed them.

Also. If they sniped you, then you are dead before you saw them. So you have no clue what they did after you died. Plus when I snipe somone i wait a little bit to make sure they have no buddies. Then i grab the loot.

Conversation is over. Stop trying to make bandits noble people who are just trying to survive with extreame measures. Because they are not.