rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

you people are forgeting this is not an MMO.

this is a FPS game with an RPG element' date='it might as wel be compared to COD/BF or any online shooter.

you dont get penalty's in those games, nor in any FPS MMOS i know.

[/quote']

And you also forget one thing: None of those FPS games have any kind of persistence other than rank so your comparison is logically flawed. Disconnecting in most any other FPS has no consequence because no matter whether you kill or get killed you always start out with whatever your class kit starts out with.

In fact, in other FPS games when you disconnect you lose the progress normally. Here disconnecting is the way to "save" yourself form progress loss.

One of the guys of the HSZ group, who currently have their camp set up in NY8 on 1.6.0.1 at coordinates 146(Top),016(Left) blatantly disconnected when we returned fire after he tried sniping us while we were pillaging his group's tents. If you HSZ guys read this, your tents are empty and vehicles are stolen, don't even bother logging back in.

It's frustrating but also saddening when people pull these disconnects. Here hopes for a fix soon.

If you are bleeding or down then disconnecting should just slay you where you stand TBH. In reality your a deadman, I think the few legit dissconnects that would expirence this would be 100 times lower than the cheating bastards that DC. IMO

It's frustrating but also saddening when people pull these disconnects. Here hopes for a fix soon.

TBH, i never disconnected to run from a fight, but i will start with it now. The last time i met a survivor who was out to kill me it was just so fraking laggy, that he could easily strike me down. It's just no fun, when people seem to be able to shoot around corners. (They are not, on their screen the lagger is still standing at the corner looking like a total idiot.)

Is PvP disconnecting a bannable offense? One could burn a couple dozen people just by posting a few Youtube links.

Had 2 more bad experiences in a row last night.

I was overwatching the Stary military camp, waiting for a friend to arrive from Novy so he could sweep it. Suddenly, I see someone pop in right in front of one of the tents. Typical, a server hopper coming to loot a military area before hopping on to the next server. I decide to ruin his day and open fire. I definitely scored some hits on him, but he managed to disconnect before he died.

As if that wasn't bad enough, when my friend arrived and he started crawling around the camp, he was shot and killed by a DMR from the same hill I was on. Easy kill for me, I thought. The sniper would have zombies swarming all over him, and he had no idea of my existence. So I see him running from zombies, and I'm running in parallel about 100m away, waiting for him to stop to kill the zombies so I could take my shot. But oop. Guess he decided dealing with zombies in a fucking zombie mod, zombies that he knowingly attracted by firing a rifle with zombies nearby, was too much trouble, so he disconnected.

Needless to say I was not very happy after all this.

This issue is literally the only thing that really pisses me off about DayZ. If this could be remedied, I would never have any complaints. (and I'm one of those guys who hates third person and crosshairs, which makes it almost impossible to find a populated server to play on)

I agree with vegeta897 - D/C to avoid death is the only thing right now that is ruining this game, and it should be fixed IMMEDIATELY. Every other aspect is understandable and almost expected in an alpha. It's literally to the point that almost everyone is doing this now.. I actually had just respawned and had a guy with only a makarov (who I had shot with my makarov and made bleed) disconnect to avoid losing his starting gear... It's absolutely pathetic. I don't care about banning people, just fix this one thing because literally 8 out of 10 people who I encounter in PVP are now doing this!

My suggestion would be to make tents feature more heavily make them easier to find and then make it so that people can only save their items and progress if they pitch a tent and then d/c. If it only takes up one slot on your inventory it would make it less likely to affect the looting possibilities too much, you should also be able to pitch the tent directly from your backpack.

Don't allow tent pitching in towns but start to allow it in forests rather than just in open areas.

This would stop people disconnecting without first spending a bit of time preparing, allowing a window of opportunity for the attacker but also not penalising the victim too much. The tent should disappear though after the person has d/c but only the tents used as 'shelter' tents full of items should remain on that server as is the norm. I think this would also stop people server hopping straight into loot buildings etc.

If you still allow people to d/c without using the tent then maybe add a good possibility that some of your loot will be gone when you log in again or that you will be suffering from exposure/low temperature, sick, unconscious etc.

I don't believe this would change the gameplay dynamic too much as most people head to the nearest treeline to log out legitimately but it would prevent the exploit and if people continue to do it then they will probably lose the loot they wanted to protect so much anyway.

If this would affect people building camps too much then maybe a sleeping bag or camp item could be added rather than using the tents.

I don't know really how this would work with people that Alt F4 or disconnect their router but maybe that could be dealt with with a logout timer with no loss of loot on login. If the server has legitimately gone down then everyone would have had the same problem and no one will die. If someone does it to escape death then have a 30 second message received timer within this time the player should be vulnerable. Obviously this will happen legitimately now and again and maybe annoy some people but 30 seconds isn't too long for your character to be around if you have no one following you or shooting at you.

I think there should be a fairly long logout time during which your character will remain in the game world. You would still be able to rejoin the same server and resume playing. The time needs to be fairly long, a couple minutes at least, simply due to the fact that firefights etc. happen over long distances and you'd often have to run a while to reach a sniper's location, for example. Certainly anyone can find a reasonably safe place to leave their character for a couple of minutes.

As for server hopping, there might be a longer timer before you could join another server after disconnecting from one. Even five or ten minutes would diminish the loot-hoppers and backstabbers considerably.

I have no idea if this is technically possible.

I generally don't agree to DCing to save one's hide, especially when you use it to kill players after they should have killed you fair and square, on the other hand, I also don't think it should be a bannable offense, especially without review. I was playing on a server the other night...Long story short I had a horde of zombies chasing me, night fell, and a player fired a single bullet at me. I ran into a building and DC'd. I could have gotten away safely, as I had no broken bones and over 10k blood, but I just didn't want to deal with it. I logged out, and didn't log back in again. Just quit for the day there. I log onto a different server the next day and the guy who shot at me happens to be there. Admins found out I dc'd ONCE on a different server and *BAM*...banned. Yea, I used an exploit and I know I probably shouldn't have, but a single offense on a different server shouldn't constitute a perma-ban from a server, especially if it didn't happen on said server.

That being said, I wholeheartedly would like to see a build in discouragement for people dcing in full PVP as I've had people do it to me. Also it removes some of the admin "assumed" roles as someone now can just implicate that a person dc'd and get them kicked/banned. A timer seems like the most effective way when it comes to zombies as you'll get attacked as you stand there. In full blown PVP I'm not so sure as I end up laying down and scoping out the area after initial shots are fired so simply time-basing it may not be the best way.

Simply using a log out timer will be unfair and unworkable.

If you are in the game world for a couple of minutes AFTER you've left the game anything could happen to you and you are completely undefended. If you end up in a firefight with someone and they disconnect you are solely focusing on the fact that you didn't kill them, this could easily have gone the other way and you yourself being killed. So why should the game make it so that the fight becomes one sided and an easy kill?

Who is to say that you are completely un aware that someone is following you or about to shoot at you and then you legitimately log out for the evening then when you log back in you are on the beach, i'd be pretty annoyed especially if I didn't know why?

What if you log out in a building and a minute later someone else logs in only to find your helpless body in front of them, easy kill one sided battle, raging when you log in.

Disconnect timers will NOT work, there needs to be some action taken by the user as part of the log off process, it means they are aware of the consequences of their actions and they are constantly aware of what is going on around them as they disconnect. They will also have made sure no one is around before they become vulnerable pitching a tent. This adds a window of around 30 - 45 seconds possibly for the average person who logs out to become vulnerable, but stops the disconnecting exploit.

That's why I suggest the tent idea. If you have to run into the woods or open area and pitch a tent to log off it takes a bit of time, and gives an assailant plenty of time to finish what they are doing. If you miss the shot in this window or lose the player then you can't be angry at it, you'll just have to aim for that head shot next time.

What if you log out in a building and a minute later someone else logs in only to find your helpless body in front of them' date=' easy kill one sided battle, raging when you log in.[/quote']

I don't think anybody should be suggesting that if you go through the full log out process that your body is still in the game for a while after that. That obviously wouldn't make sense. But if you D/C via alt-F4 then tough. You're vulnerable for a while until the game fully logs you out. Not great if you lose your internet connection but it's the only way to deal with the rampant cheating that's going on at the moment.

Why don't make a 5s delay when exiting. Then u can't cheat against zeds either, u just gotta be safe when logging out.

This discussion is totally inane until the servers are playable again.

Disconnect timers will NOT work' date=' there needs to be some action taken by the user as part of the log off process, it means they are aware of the consequences of their actions and they are constantly aware of what is going on around them as they disconnect.[/quote']

Good idea, actually. Something like the old World of Warcraft popup, when you chose to log out in an unsafe location (which in Day Z would be everywhere) you got a dialog saying something along the lines of 'Logging out in X seconds' where the seconds would count down to 0. You COULD hit a button and leave the game, but then you knew that your helpless character would sit there until the timer was down to zero.

So, to adapt this to Day Z terms:

- When you hit 'log out', a timer appears, counting down from 120 seconds (or so) to 0.

- If possible, this timer has a button that lets you instantly log out, but leaves your body in the game for the rest of the countdown.

- The timer should react to the esc key by returning you to the game, so you can abort the logout if you want.

This would let you log out safely as long as you're in a safe spot, while eliminiating the disconnect exploits. Still won't solve server hopping, just gives the victim more time to move.

I just think the time needs to be such that disconnecting is completely invalidated as a survival tactic. Five seconds is nothing. The two clicks from disconnecting properly instead of alt-f4 are nothing. It should never even occur to anyone that they might try disconnecting to avoid death.

If you are in the game world for a couple of minutes AFTER you've left the game anything could happen to you and you are completely undefended. If you end up in a firefight with someone and they disconnect you are solely focusing on the fact that you didn't kill them' date=' this could easily have gone the other way and you yourself being killed. So why should the game make it so that the fight becomes one sided and an easy kill?

Who is to say that you are completely un aware that someone is following you or about to shoot at you and then you legitimately log out for the evening then when you log back in you are on the beach, i'd be pretty annoyed especially if I didn't know why?

What if you log out in a building and a minute later someone else logs in only to find your helpless body in front of them, easy kill one sided battle, raging when you log in.

Disconnect timers will NOT work, there needs to be some action taken by the user as part of the log off process, it means they are aware of the consequences of their actions and they are constantly aware of what is going on around them as they disconnect. They will also have made sure no one is around before they become vulnerable pitching a tent. This adds a window of around 30 - 45 seconds possibly for the average person who logs out to become vulnerable, but stops the disconnecting exploit.

That's why I suggest the tent idea. If you have to run into the woods or open area and pitch a tent to log off it takes a bit of time, and gives an assailant plenty of time to finish what they are doing. If you miss the shot in this window or lose the player then you can't be angry at it, you'll just have to aim for that head shot next time.

[/quote']

Thanks for showing that you stopped reading on disconnect timers.

Disconnecting ingame -> timer while being able to see your surroundings to interrupt at will if you need to defend yourself.

alt+f4-> same process but you won't be able to see it at all!

60 second logout timer IS FAIR! And is the only way to fix this problem.

If you think it isnt fair then you must be logging out in lootable areas? (server hopping?)

Anyone with common sense will go to a safe place to log out so 60 seconds makes no difference.

To prove a point im actually in game right now while righting this message because im in a safe place!. Its not rocket science where you should and shouldnt log out ffs.

And on an extra note players should not be allowed to log out while inside buildings!

you people are forgeting this is not an MMO.

this is a FPS game with an RPG element' date='it might as wel be compared to COD/BF or any online shooter.

you dont get penalty's in those games, nor in any FPS MMOS i know.

[/quote']

And you also forget one thing: None of those FPS games have any kind of persistence other than rank so your comparison is logically flawed. Disconnecting in most any other FPS has no consequence because no matter whether you kill or get killed you always start out with whatever your class kit starts out with.

In fact, in other FPS games when you disconnect you lose the progress normally. Here disconnecting is the way to "save" yourself form progress loss.

none the less it still stay a FPS RPG. doesnt metter what arguemtn you take, it stays like that.

WE DONT HAVE SAVE ZONES! it not an MMO.

its still stupid that this is a most requested feature in this early stage.

but fine,lets get that 30 second timer. but than id request we also get a 30second spawn save timer,after you get out of bug Forrest.

YES! A 30 SECOND TIMER WHERE YOU ARE SAVE OF ANY THING THE FIRST 30 SECONDS YOU SPAWN.

I find this a equal request.

by the way, i dont lose my progress when i Dc on BF3.

60 second logout timer IS FAIR! And is the only way to fix this problem.

If you think it isnt fair then you must be logging out in lootable areas? (server hopping?)

Anyone with common sense will go to a safe place to log out so 60 seconds makes no difference.

To prove a point im actually in game right now while righting this message because im in a safe place!. Its not rocket science where you should and shouldnt log out ffs.

And on an extra note players should not be allowed to log out while inside buildings!

OKEY,the last thing you said is just plain stupid. you have to be save and log out,but nooo not in a building?

really?

Just put a damn timed logout on and be done with it. Leave the player in the game for 15 seconds after lost connection. Pvp flag would work too but it won't stop people from logging out whenever they hear or see someone. It will also discourage server hopping since you can't protect yourself for those 15 seconds. Therefore you shouldn't be a dumbass and log out where other people may be, just so you can server hop and farm loot....

Zombies deaggro during that time. Players do not ... collateral damage imo ... deal with it.

15 seconds is very little though. Consider two players in different rooms in a sort of mexican standoff. 15 seconds is a time people would probably risk to evade the situation. A minute is probably not. Even a minute is short if you consider a sniper taking a few shots from long range, missing, and then logging out in fear of having been spotted and subsequently hunted down.

I'm repeating myself but I really think disconnecting should be eliminated from being a factor in PvP as completely as possible. Server hoppers might be dealt with with very similar measures, perhaps an ever increasing disconnect time with frequent, rapid disconnects.

If you are in the game world for a couple of minutes AFTER you've left the game anything could happen to you and you are completely undefended. If you end up in a firefight with someone and they disconnect you are solely focusing on the fact that you didn't kill them' date=' this could easily have gone the other way and you yourself being killed. So why should the game make it so that the fight becomes one sided and an easy kill?

[/quote']

Thanks for showing that you stopped reading on disconnect timers.

Disconnecting ingame -> timer while being able to see your surroundings to interrupt at will if you need to defend yourself.

alt+f4-> same process but you won't be able to see it at all!

I've read the other posts fine thanks blitzcloud. Think of the consequences of your suggestion though.

Why do you want people to be able to run around while d/c you haven't eliminated the problem, you could run behind a few trees being chased by zeds while the timer runs down. Same problem but delayed.

If someone gets shot at and runs into a building guards the door while the logout timer runs down and then disconnects before the other person has managed to plan how to get them out of the building. How is that a problem solved? You've just added a new one. Most of the disconnects I suffer when PvP is spotting someone creeping into a building and as soon as they see they are surrounded they d/c. That would still happen with a logout timer.

If you allow people to log out anywhere there will always be this problem, hence my suggestion of forcing people to find a place away from towns etc. Pitching the tent will take you time and would act similarly to a disconnect timer but without a bloody timer on your screen. It's more realistic and it generally more user friendly I would have thought. It also makes you vulnerable, you have to stop therefore you really have to plan it rather than just hitting a button and then carry on running until the timer reaches 0.

I explained the reasonings here.

http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8029&pid=92187#pid92187

It also stops people server hopping for loot as easily as they can now.

And I do think people who alt f4 or disconnect their router should be penalised. If your net drops then that is unfortunate but there is still only a small possibility it will lead you to dying with my suggestion.

If you get surrounded in a building at that point unlucky, thats what happens. If you're getting chased by zeds unlucky, you should have been more careful. It's still gonna lead to threads like this as long as people can disconnect without there being an action.

I explain the consequences for pulling the plug on your router or Alt F4 in my previous post too.

I'd rather we talked about the shortcomings or disadvantages of my idea and then adapting other peoples ideas rather than trying to tell me I haven't followed every single post in this thread which says the same thing about an unbalanced unworkable solution repeatedly.

I generally don't agree to DCing to save one's hide' date=' especially when you use it to kill players after they should have killed you fair and square, on the other hand, I also don't think it should be a bannable offense, especially without review. I was playing on a server the other night...Long story short I had a horde of zombies chasing me, night fell, and a player fired a single bullet at me. I ran into a building and DC'd. I could have gotten away safely, as I had no broken bones and over 10k blood, but I just didn't want to deal with it. I logged out, and didn't log back in again. Just quit for the day there. I log onto a different server the next day and the guy who shot at me happens to be there. Admins found out I dc'd ONCE on a different server and *BAM*...banned. Yea, I used an exploit and I know I probably shouldn't have, but a single offense on a different server shouldn't constitute a perma-ban from a server, especially if it didn't happen on said server.

[/quote']

Server operators are currently not allowed to ban someone for disconnecting. If you find out what that server is, you need to report them. They will have to reverse the ban or their server will be blacklisted from the master server.

Something needs to happen. I had 4 people disconnect last night within 15 minutes of each other. Two were down and passed out when they D/c'd.