The OCD

Spawn with a hatchet?

I don't know what about you, but I kind of like to sneak around in the first few minutes searching for weapons. but that's just me...

And why to sneak around? Most of players just google dayz map with spawn points, run to nearest outpoust tower. Three guarding zombies always are far away, you loot basic weapon. Run to air base, loot better stuff and you have all in half hour. So who cares if someone have start weak weapon if you can have something better in few minutes. Start weapon is only for rookies to get use to the game for experience players its meaningless.

Edited by Dalegor Dobrutro

And why to sneak around? Most of players just google dayz map with spawn points, run to nearest outpoust tower. Three guarding zombies always are far away, you loot basic weapon. Run to air base, loot better stuff and you have all in half hour. So who cares if someone have start weak weapon if you can have something better in few minutes. Start weapon is only for rookies to get use to the game for experience players its meaningless.

Because this game should be made harder, not easier.

Its moving in the direction of difficulty, which is good.

If you want a game that holds your hand, leads you through everything, and takes skill/experience out of the equation; then COD sounds like your kind of game, go play that.

OMG listen to self, people complain that this game is to easy. And you think that giving crowbar at start change game to more easy? If 99% people in 5 minutes can get anyway something better to use? If such thing dont change nothing, so who cares if someone have weak weapon at start? If this dont change anything, because you run to your loot spawn point and pick something better. And such rookie at least have time to get use to game.

I repeat one more time, giving starting character any weak weapon after "reborn" DONT CHANGE NOTHING. Because you anyway get something better in few minutes, propably not even using it.

OMG listen to self, people complain that this game is to easy. And you think that giving crowbar at start change game to more easy? If 99% people in 5 minutes can get anyway something better to use? If such thing dont change nothing so who cares if someone have weak weapon at start? If this dont change anything, because you run to your loot spawn point pick something better and you on the way. And such rookie at least have time to get use to game.

I repeat one more time, giving starting character any weak weapon after "reborn" DONT CHANGE NOTHING. Because you anyway get something better in few minutes, propably not even using it.

I'm sorry tarzan, i couldn't decipher that

If someone dont have will to understand, even in more advance english dont get this. Its just lack of arguments and snobbery. Non native speakears understand each other in they bad english, only because they understand they intentions and at least have will to understand. ;)

Apocalyptic scenario happens, you're gonna grab a bunch of supplies and put them in a backpack.

Seems like most of those things washed out in the water.

Flashlights and bandages are things that people usually reach for in survival situations, a crowbar not so much.

i would also grab weapons to defend myself if that's the road you want to take in this.

I think we should spawn without a back pack actually. Definitely no weapons of any kind! You should have to find almost EVERYTHING, that's what makes it "your story".

And that would make no sense any ways!

i would also grab weapons to defend myself if that's the road you want to take in this.

Obviously didn't read the post, let me put it in red.

Apocalyptic scenario happens, you're gonna grab a bunch of supplies and put them in a backpack.

Seems like most of those things washed out in the water.

Flashlights and bandages are things that people usually reach for in survival situations, a crowbar not so much.

A water-logged backpack is surely heavier than a hammer or something. That's assuming you even washed up on shore, which there is no evidence of in the first place. If you did in fact wash up on the shore, i'm sure lots of other things did too... Like drift wood, or "egg crates" as they're called. You can't justify not using anything around you as a weapon, you just come off as a prick when you demean other people by insulting their language skills. Really?

If people can find hatchets everywhere within the first 30 seconds of the game anyways, why would it matter at all? You can't play the lore card, because there are too many unknowns and too many inconsistencies.

And who say you was washed to the shore? From what I know there is no official story, you start on the beach and how you find there its your role-play history you like to say.

Important is only this that 99% of players get they weapon anyway in 5 minutes, so why you think that this simple melee weapon destroy any balance if its only few minute weapon. Its only handy for total rookies who just start they game.

If you look at the drop rates you will see that the odds aren't in the players favor for getting a weapon at the first spot they hit even if it is a military spawn. Add to this the fact that other people have already hit it if there is junk there, and then you just get the junk they spawned but didn't take. So saying its so super easy to get a weapon is a false arguement, for this to occur players are both beating the odds and showing enough intelligence to look up and understand the spawns and choose to go to the best locations.

To counter the dumbest arguement ever, if its so easy to get a weapon early in game why do you need a weapon at spawn... ugh lets shout in a cirlce....

I think most people that want a spawn weapon agree that its not easy to get a weapon early in game, this is why they want them.

Its also bs to say "its only a hatchet" now it is, once that concession is made people will be bitching that they want something better, they want a gun, they want no damage when unarmed, QQ QQ QQ

No concessions, nothing that makes gameplay easier, ever. Make the UI slick, make a sweet guide, whatever, but the gameplay should punish you.

spawn with a hatchet? it's like the easiest thing to find..... find one LOL

Ok. So the real thing is this. There are over a million unique players. So yeah, the game has enough players. But if you spend time trying to cater to completly new people, you will ruin the game for the already player base you have. Right now, we all know how to use stuff, find loot, find maps, get organized. There are a ton of videos on Youtube, and plenty of fan wiki pages that have guides and city walkthroughs and such. So, learning how to play the game, will come with playtime. I just recently got a computer for my birthday, and the first thing i did was install dayz. I already knew how, because i saw videos online. I watched videos about playing dayz, and peoples "Play First" and just people who recorded thier day z experiences.

Case in point... No one is going to Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop or wherever you are buying pc games and just looking for a random zombie apocalypse game. Everyone who is playing DayZ has heard about the game from someone in some form of something. Whether its thier friends talking about it... or just youtube or wiki pages. Most people now-a-days know how to use those media sites, as well as have friends willing to teach them the ropes. With that being said. You don't need to make the game more "whatever friendly" that you are talking about. They should just leave it the way it is... and people will learn.

As far as the standalone game. If they take anything from the alpha, I'd be surprised. With thier own game, if they decide to make a new map/area/country, put in all new weapons, and a new GUI , and new everything else. But still keeping with the theme and purpose of the game... then yeah. But for people like me... im sure there are more out there. I was told about the game, and all I was told was the following.... "Its the zombie apocalypse.. You spawn with nothing. You have to scavenge for food/weapons/survival skills. And just survive the zombie apocalypse as long as you can. Also, you can run into other people who can be friendly, or deadly, depending on the server, situation, time of day and what not..." To me... that hooked me in right there. As long as they keep up with that premise... the game will continue to drag people in... So why change the game to cater to a potential set of customers, when there are already a defined amount of active unique players. I'd rather know I can sell a product to 1 million plus people than change it to appease some randoms out there. If you buy Day Z without any knowledge of the game, or anything... then yes, you might be frustrated... but cmon, in todays technology... who buys a game without doing some research.

This thread was originally about spawning with weapons... If you start with a weapon? What fear is there instilled in you. Let alone if you spawn with the hatchet... if you have no lag and know what you are doing you can kill hundreds of zombies, without alerting them.. and just kill all the zombies in the game. Because its a quiet weapon. If anything, start people with a pistol.... a loud pistol. To make the threat of shooting a zombie... real. You don't want the other zombies to know where you are... but you wanna get in that building. Make the person make choices. Starting them with the ability to already defend themselves, takes away from the point of the game. Even on the main webpage for the game. It says "Step 1: Scavenge" if they spawn you with weapons..they are doing that step for you... thus, eliminating the part of the game, that is the scariest... Running around with no way to defend yourself is scary. Worrying about alerting a zombie is alot less scary, when you have a way of defending yourself.

Making choices, and paying the price for them... as well as learning from them is what makes this game great.

We've already tried starting with a pistol before, and it went horribly. AFAIK, we've never tried spawning with another weapon of any kind. I'll agree that a "permanent" hatchet on spawn probably isn't in the community's best interest at this point, but what harm could come from an extremely temporary melee weapon? Temporary as in 5-10 swings, which is enough to deter/kill a few zombies. After 5-10 swings, it just decays, like the hatchet would if it ever ran out of ammo. It still comes down to the core issue of new players literally spawning within aggro range of zombies by just moving around a few feet. It has happened to me, and has probably happened to many others.

Half of the people against this say "You can find a hatchet in the first 5 minutes". Cool, so if you haven't used your 2x4/driftwood/crowbar/whatever, you can easily replace it. As it is now, I think an easily breakable melee weapon is a good compromise between pistol and defenseless.

it would also drag you down if we were that far out. the beach is clearly a place holder for now

Hmm, it seems to me that there are an awful lot of hatchets to be had as is, I'm not sure spawning with one is necessary... Last time I died I went straight to the nearest industrial to me (a large industrial in Cherno) and there were at least 6 of the bloody things in there. If they were rare I might agree, but they're really not. :)

I don't agree with starting wit a hatchet but I DO think that you should be able to punch zombies - it won't cause any damage (or very VERY little at most) and has a SMALL chance of knocking it down, therefore players will still rather run away and use their fists in a last ditch attempt if they end up in a corner somewhere. Also a chance that a zombie can grab you whilst you are punching it would also deter the use of fists.

Be ridiculously difficult to implement in Arma 2 in stand-alone though, it may be implemented. Personally I wouldn't like something like fists or anything, the last thing I'd be doing is hitting an infected or trying to push it down.

You guys may want to spawn with a hatchet, personally I dislike something like this and would never like to spawn with one. I feel as if this goes against Day Z which is a hardcore survivial mod, I should feel vulnerable and defenseless when I spawn and something like this would take that away.

Also it isn't hard to find a weapon, even if it's only a hatchet, I walk into barns sometimes and on a bad day I find only one but on a good day I'll find multiple hatchets in the one barn, it gets ridiculous at times.

I thought OP gave up....

Can't you see that giving in an inch will result in giving in a mile?

WTF are you going to do with a 5 swing item, if it did get in the game you would be back on the forum the next day saying it should be 10 swings, or infinite swings, or stronger and should kill in one hit....

Stop lying to yourself you want the early game easier and you think a weapon will do that. Be honest its fine, maybe theres someone out there that will agree, but I think most people won't and will flame you, just say'n.

Edited by xXI Mr Two IXx

I thought OP gave up....

Can't you see that giving in an inch will result in giving in a mile?

WTF are you going to do with a 5 swing item, if it did get in the game you would be back on the forum the next day saying it should be 10 swings, or infinite swings, or stronger and should kill in one hit....

Stop lying to yourself you want the early game easier and you think a weapon will do that. Be honest its fine, maybe theres someone out there that will agree, but I think most people won't and will flame you, just say'n.

I'd swing it 5 times at glitchy as fuck zombies. If I wanted 10 swings, i'd suggest 10 swings. Obviously my opinion has changed from the original post; are people not allowed to change their opinions based on feedback?

If rocket was so fixated on this being a "hardcore survival game", why did people ever spawn with pistols in the first place? Obviously the idea behind the game is not exactly as it was when it originated; ideas evolve, as do opinions.

I don't know why you blame zombie glitches for needing a weapon, how would a weapon stop/effect them hitting you through walls or jumping around when they are cloae/attacking because of the animations?? You have to deal with this even when your armed, being unarmed does not effect/deter 90% of the glitches with Z's.

It would only help you deal with aggro, you call them aggrowing to you glitches, I see this as you drawing aggro and not a glitch. Yes sometimes aggro is glitchy, they see/hear you in a building but based on play I think 95% of the aggro I draw is my own fault, so I'm sure its pretty close to that for you as well.

Aggro is actually alot easier now than it used to be, do you really think crouch walking 50m away from someone in a manicured lawn you would be hidden from them? IMO if you can see them they should have a chance to see you.

I don't know why you blame zombie glitches for needing a weapon, how would a weapon stop/effect them hitting you through walls or jumping around when they are cloae/attacking because of the animations?? You have to deal with this even when your armed, being unarmed does not effect/deter 90% of the glitches with Z's.

It would only help you deal with aggro, you call them aggrowing to you glitches, I see this as you drawing aggro and not a glitch. Yes sometimes aggro is glitchy, they see/hear you in a building but based on play I think 95% of the aggro I draw is my own fault, so I'm sure its pretty close to that for you as well.

Aggro is actually alot easier now than it used to be, do you really think crouch walking 50m away from someone in a manicured lawn you would be hidden from them? IMO if you can see them they should have a chance to see you.

You asked me what I would do with 5 swings, and I would swing at zombies. I'm not sure where your aggro rant comes into play, and you contradict yourself immediately about "glitchy" zombies. We've gotten to the point where you just blatantly ignore anything I say or try to question and reiterate the same thing over and over. Hardcore game. L2Play noob. I understand. There just really isn't a point in continuing when you offer no genuine feedback other than ways that i'm playing the game wrong. The worst part is it has nothing to do with my play-style, yet everyone keeps bashing me for poor tactics. I have no issues with zombies in any sense, I've just noticed that a lot of newer players struggle with the spawn areas that are really close to the coastal towns.

So i'll ask again, if there has been such emphasis on hardcore gameplay since the beginning, why were pistols ever introduced for new spawns? Obviously someone thought there would be a good reason to have them.