Sign in to follow this  
Vulc

Personal Server Requirement's (?)

I have a Spare server that's only collecting dust atm, does it have enough power to run a DayZ Server?

Tyan Thunder i7505 (S2665) Motherboard http://www.tyan.com/...underi7505.html

Two Physical - Xeon 2.8ghz Cpu (mPGA604)

8gb DDR Memory

1gb Nic with a 15/5mb internet connection

Think it has a 250gb HD 7200rpm

I don't believe it will hold 40 people. but if it gets close to 20 that's good enough, and I can see a bottle neck being the internet connection as well.

I'm not sure, I know they can chew through 2tb+ of bandwidth per month though

Any else have any knowledge in this area?

Minimum slots required to host is 40 (30 if you're in a developing nation with high bandwidth costs) and you'll need a 100mbit connection. Home hosted servers aren't accepted.

can you explain the reasoning behind such rules for no home hosted servers, I personally can achieve the 100MB connection requirement with a plan change, but I cant justify renting a closet at a data center because offsite location is a requirement.

and to be clear this is only to host a DayZmod.com approved server correct?

Your biggest issue is going to be network (as others have said).

My server has been running pretty well 50% - 100% full (50 slot) since July 14. I just checked my server stats:

95th percentile usage this month: 5.09 Mbps

GB usage this month: 767.17 GB (439.64 GB in, 327.53 GB out)

DayZ staff have said "No home servers" but if you can achieve a 10-50mbps and your ISP lets you have enough bandwidth, then you should be fine. Keep in mind that the "upload" is the important part for the internet.

Also, note that residential ISPs will generally not provide "guarantees" for service rates. So while you may have a 100mbps, if lots of people in your area start torrenting or chewing up bandwidth, your connection will suffer (depending on your ISP, the technology used, your area, and a host of other factors).

Anyways, nearly 1TB of bandwidth used in less than a month. That's a lot of data.

thanks for the reply Sna.ke

The data usage you have listed is alot, but not above what I expected on this type of game with so much position data floating back and forth

Business plan internet from my isp lists guarantee up-time/bandwidth for each speed plan. but truly you can only trust that far as "acts of god" allows

But I am more curious about the location requirements now, I understand wanting a tight leash on things, but control over a box is the same inside a data center and outside, as I've gone into many Data centers, one, being the biggest in California I believe, Savvis in Irvine, CA

But if it boils down to be simple security trust, that's much more understandable then micro (box) management.

- Vulc

• Like 1

oh well :\