omgwtfbbq (DayZ)

Why the hell are there so many guns?

Okay, before you start bashing your head against the keyboard out of spite for the outrageous title, read the whole post.

Why are there so many different guns in DayZ? Now, i'm not suggesting that all the guns should be limited to pistols and shotguns, but hear me out.

My best point to be made here is: Why are there FIVE types of LMGs!? And NINE sniper rifles?? What happened to the realistic zombie apocalypse simulator? Okay, yes. Overrun military camps DO have military weapons in them. Fair enough, that makes sense. But why is there armament of light machine guns to choose from? If anything, there should be one or two types, not five. Same for sniper rifles, I can understand the existence of the CZ550 and M24, but why do we need a fucking 50. caliber sniper rifle in this game? What's the point? Nobody uses it for zombies; the entire purpose of this gun is to promote playerkilling.

However, the shotguns and pistols seem to be right on par with realism, save for the PDW. I'm pretty sure the russian military doesn't have UZIs, considering it's an Israeli gun. The crossbow spawn should be far lower, but only if the arrows stack. Until then, leave the crossbow as is.

I DO think that there are far too many assault rifles in DayZ, also. But many of these are traditional guns found in zombie apocalypse scenarios, like an AK. Some guns that should be removed include: Bizon (yes, i know it's an SMG), FN FAL, L85 AWS, M16A2 M203. These weapons seem very unfitting for a zombie apocalypse, because it's guns like these that serve no purpose but to playerkill. Are you really going to use your L85 AWS on a zombie? No. What about the Bizon? Good for zombies, right? Being silenced, and all? Nope. The rarity of these guns and the ammo they require (save for L85 AWS using silenced STANAG) is so high that it seems they don't really serve a purpose in this game other than to kill someone with your cool gun.

TL;DR: The number/variety of guns is too many for realism's sake, and i don't want to hear the "It's super realistic/It's not realistic BS from anybody. The game is not realistic now. Now. It's changes like the ones i suggested that would make it more realistic. If i didn't say that a gun you pwn some n00bs with all the time should stay, then STFU. Nobody cares if you want the AS50. You never use that on zombies anyway. Nobody is going to use a 50. caliber sniper rifle on something they could one-shot with a makarov.

edit: I don't think M16s should go. No, M16s should stay. It's the underbarrel grenade launcher that shouldn't be here. As for Bizon, the only reason it should be removed is because of the fact that the weapon and ammo is only found at heli crash sites, so it's instantly the last gun you want to use for something so abundant, like zombies. You want to save it for something else.

edit2: I think there should be more police weapons, as well as more shotguns; plenty of people in the country own different shotguns.

Edited by omgwtfbbq
  • Like 12

If there were 3 guns in the game, the "end game" would be a walk around Cherno.

• Like 5

If there were 3 guns in the game, the "end game" would be a walk around Cherno.

"Now, i'm not suggesting that all the guns should be limited to pistols and shotguns"

Edited by omgwtfbbq

I like the amount of guns because it makes each player different from each other. If everyone had the same LMG it would be more boring.

• Like 1

I think you'd find a lot more of these guns if you went to a miltiary base...

• Like 2

This mod wasn't mean to be "Realistic". It is zombies after all. It is supposed to be "Authentic" according to Rocket.

Also, do you know how many guns and ammo exists in the world? More than 8 Million Weapons are made each year according to my poor google research. If 99% of the population died off in an infection then it wouldn't be too hard to find weapons.

Edited by Beans By Any Means
  • Like 1

Why are there FIVE types of LMGs!? And NINE sniper rifles??

What the fuck are you talking about?

• Like 1

more choices = bigger endgame.

End Game doesn't really exist in simulation games. They are always based on Campaigns. Your gear doesn't determine end game sorry to say.

• Like 2

Dont you dare take away my L85 AWS lol it works fine on zombies

http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/Weapons Five LMGs. Nine snipers.

You realise the same guns are repeated multiple times on that wiki (for some reason)?

There are 3 LMGs: M249, M240, Mk48 Mod 0.

There are 6 sniper rifles: M107, AS50, DMR, CZ550, M24, SVD Camo.

Edited by -NGR- Larkinto
  • Like 2

there needs to be more guns. There needs to be a .44 magnum with a scope or red dot and a desert eagle. There also needs to be more sub machine guns.

• Like 3

You realise the same guns are repeated multiple times on that wiki (for some reason)?

There are 3 LMGs, M249, M240, Mk48 Mod 0.

There are 6 sniper rifles: M107, AS50, DMR, CZ550, M24, SVD Camo.

My bad. Even still, let's cut the snipers down to two or three.

Where's my red tiger?

And my jet packs?

Who the hell forgot jet packs?

For realisms sake I disagree these guns could be aquired in real life but not it's very likely, and in game many of them are very rare loot spawns as they should be. But again it is a game and when you have a half finished mod with a population of almost a million players actively searching for these weapons and stock piling them in a glitched out storage system that respawns them at least once to twice daily, they become abundant in circulation fairly quicky. Just like any mmo all of the rare items become common after a month or two and the same thing is happening here. I think there needs to be more variety in fire arms.

My opinion is to unlock the whole of the weapons available in arma 2 and its expansions minus the rocket launchers. If they did that looting would be even more interesting. Also with so many different type of weapons, if the tent dupe bug gets fixed ammo for each weapon would be more difficult to aquire. I think it would make people value their ammunition more knowing it's harder to find specific types, perhaps even use it as currency, or at the very least switch up weapons more often instead. It would make it more dificult to be glued to a sniperscope on a hill near the coast all day lol. I could be wrong though. It would likey just add to the many problems already encountered. lol

Edited by Mungaloid

My bad. Even still, let's cut the snipers down to two or three.

Why? I have been sniped maybe 5-10% in all of my deaths. Maybe you need to change your tactics if you getting dominated by snipers all the time.

For realisms sake I disagree these guns could be aquired in real life but not it's very likely, and in game many of them are very rare loot spawns as they should be. But again it is a game and when you have a half finished mod with a population of almost a million players actively searching for these weapons and stock piling them in a glitched out storage system that respawns them at least once to twice daily, they become abundant in circulation fairly quicky. Just like any mmo all of the rare items become common after a month or two and the same thing is happening here.

that's the main issue here; the respawn system throws them in, then people dupe them, and soon enough there are hundreds upon thousands of the same gun.