Sign in to follow this  
Someonerandom

Ideas for stand-alone dayz

These are my ideas for dayz when it is its own game.

- Different types of clothes/gear that reduce damage done to you from zombies mainly but also reduce maybe some or a little bullet damage

Examples - football helmet and shoulderpads, bulletproof vest, other sports protective equipment, etc.

The reason for the sports equipment is because in a real apocalypse there would be plenty of sports gear for survivors while military gear would be rarer.

Each day in dayz should be shorter so that it doesnt take literally 3 months to grow food or a year to build a good base or something. I personally think a day should be 4 hours or maybe 6 (a day is an 24 hour day not just when sun is up) how long do u think days should be?

Zombies should be realistic.

- Zombies run slower by 20% each half of a week that they don't eat (from humans or animals) so basically the zombies would become crawlers due to starvation after a couple weeks.

- Zombies should be able to hit u while running but at reduced damage maybe 25% less?

- Zombies run at a normal humans speed. (unless they are hungry as stated above)

- Zombies are everywhere including forests.

- Some zombies should roam around going long distances.

- Some zombies stay at cities until cities food sources are depleted.

- Zombies are attracted to eat animals just the same as with humans.

- Zombies spawn from outside map boundaries and wander long distances at random.

The ability to make bread from wheat crops or corn crops.

- Start by finding seeds for wheat or corn and then growing it.

- Turn the wheat into flour when grown by using a mill created out of wood.

- Add water to flour and bake it by creating a wood fire oven by collecting stone to make the oven and then just add wood and light it with matches.

- The reason it is a good addition is because u could store the flour u have made to be able to bake it whenever u want.

The ability to farm for food.

- Examples: corn takes 2 to 3 months to grow to the point of harvest, has to be watered often, can't be grown in cold temp. (winter)

- Would be shorter than in real life. Either option A: 1 day equals 4 or 6 hours or B: simply reduce growth time or C: both A and B

- With a 4 hour day there would be 6 days in 1 real day while growing corn would take 10 to 15 "game" days.

Dehydration

- Not drinking water causes vision to dim at first then unconsciousness.

- Speed and endurance decreased gradually to max of 30%.

- Shade slows dehydration.

- More water required as physical activity increases.

Weight of items decreases run speed and endurance.

Survivors should be realistic and start as an "average" person.

- Able to increase accuracy with weapons after shooting for a period of time.

- Start with a person who has not shot guns at all or very little and therefore would be less accurate than it is currently in the game.

- Start with a person with average fitness.

- Fitness can be increased by running and maybe finding weights as items in-game

- Using weights for your arms would increase melee weapon damage. (after sleeping)

- Running for 10 minutes increases run speed and endurance slightly each time. (after sleeping)

- After running for too long or using weights u have to sleep to receive the benefits.

- After running a while or working out run speed and melee damage is lowered until you sleep.

- Sleeping somewhere comfortable decreases time needed to sleep. (tents, beds)

- Eating food after the work out or run is also required to receive benefits. (only one meal)

Food

- More variety of food with different stats.

- Food with more carbs give more energy and so increase speed and endurance.

- Food with protein gives you more of a benefit after working out/ running.

- Food should replenish a small amount of water. (some foods replenish more water)

- Not eating enough protein causes muscles to degenerate slowly and make u run slower and hit with melee for less.

- More food required as physical activity increases.

Clothing and accessories should be added

- ear plugs

- gas masks

- warm clothing (usually heavier)

- light clothing for running fast

- shoes: light shoes, heavy durable boots, cleats

- ghillie suits and camouflaged clothing (reduces your visibility to zombies)

- Bulletproof vests

- Ballistic shields

- battering ram

Non-lethal weapons

-Pepper spray

-Tasers

- Tear gas

- Flash bang grenades

-Paintball markers loaded with pepper spray

-Stinger grenades

Vehicles

- Trains could be added to give players a way to move items/food in large quantities.

- Would have 1 repairable train per server.

- Railroad tracks to be placed by players.

Please tell me what you think of the ideas and if u have something to add.

Edited by Someonerandom
  • Like 1

Zombies that don't/can't defy physics.

That should be first.

as much as i like the idea dont get my wrong i like it but........shoulder pads and football helmets??!?!? i mean its different for like a swat helmet and vests but football gear its a good start but not needed. Id like way better such as hmmm in the offices in elecktro they spawn swat helmets and bulletproof vests and if you dont want to go there yo have to find a swat body which will have a chance of spawning either one or even all at once

These are my ideas for dayz when it is its own game.

- Different types of clothes/gear that reduce damage done to you from zombies mainly but also reduce maybe some or a little bullet damage

Examples - football helmet and shoulderpads, bulletproof vest, other sports protective equipment, etc.

The reason for the sports equipment is because in a real apocalypse there would be plenty of sports gear for survivors while military gear would be rarer.

Zombies should be realistic.

- Zombies run slower by 20% each half of a week that they don't eat (from humans or animals) so basically the zombies would become crawlers due to starvation after a couple weeks.

- Zombies should be able to hit u while running but at reduced damage maybe 25% less?

- Zombies run at a normal humans speed. (unless they are hungry as stated above)

The ability to farm for food.

- Would be shorter than in real life. Either option A: 1 day equals 4 or 6 hours or B: simply reduce growth time or C: both A and B

Weight of items decreases run speed and endurance.

Survivors should be realistic and start as an "average" person.

- Able to increase accuracy with weapons after shooting for a period of time.

- Start with a person who has not shot guns at all or very little and therefore would be less accurate than it is currently in the game.

- Start with a person with average fitness.

- Fitness can be increased by running and maybe finding weights as items in-game

- Using weights for your arms would increase melee weapon damage. (after sleeping)

- Running for 10 minutes increases run speed and endurance slightly each time. (after sleeping)

- After running for too long or using weights u have to sleep to receive the benefits.

- After running a while or working out run speed and melee damage is lowered until you sleep.

- Sleeping somewhere comfortable decreases time needed to sleep. (tents, beds)

Clothing and accessories should be added

- ear plugs

- gas masks

- warm clothing (usually heavier)

- light clothing for running fast

- shoes: light shoes, heavy durable boots, cleats

- ghillie suits and camouflaged clothing (reduces your visibility to zombies)

- Bulletproof vests

Please tell me what you think of the idea and if u have something to add

No leveling up. NO STATS. NO EXPERIENCE. You should get better at aiming, and you should have a more efficient movement ability. Nothing beats an out-and-out run, and you're not going to get better at if after ten minutes. You won't get great at it at all in some sort of apocalypse, because food is limited, meaning you won't have enough nutrients to create and sustain muscle. You'll get thinner, but weaker. You're not going to get stronger.

I'm pretty sure every single thing you just said has already been mentioned. I do want warmer cloths and bullet proof vests though.

I added food thank you for the suggestion

Some people will be lucky and find food so its not completely obsolete to be able to get stronger.

And as for the running for 10 minutes the idea is that you will only receive a slight increase in speed ( .1% maybe but its up for debate)

Edited by Someonerandom

Zombies don't get hungry. They are dead, most dead things don't eat. Zombies feed simply because its the only primal instinct left with in them (Why they eat the living... it's beyond me). They dont have working organs, they do not require any type of nutrition. They eat until their stomachs explode.

If they are infected lets say like in 28 days/weeks later where they're still alive, just uber crazy and contagious... then, that's when they would require food or die by starvation. BUT. If this was the case you could just wait out the apocalypse and let them all die of hunger, there for negating the purpose of the game.

anyway... that's my 2 cents

Cheers

Zombies need food. I would say they are humans that have no mind and so eating a human doesn't matter to them. It is a human with animal type characteristics but of course zombies aren't real but rocket has said he leans more toward realistic zombies and dead things decay so.... Either way they need to eat

Edited by Someonerandom
  • Like 1

Zombies need food. I would say they are humans that have no mind and so eating a human doesn't matter to them. It is a human with animal type characteristics but of course zombies aren't real but rocket has said he leans more toward realistic zombies and dead things decay so.... Either way they need to eat

So if we just wait for a few weeks and no one gets killed by any zombies, and everyone hunts all of the animals, the zombies will just starve and die right. Everyone wins!

Hell if players can starve to death so should the zombies. And then all the zombies will die and the game will be pointless. Cooooooooooool

Also please keep in mind that zombies spawn in this game only when players are around, so as soon as your gone the zombies disappear and are reset when another player enters the area.

Edited by Riordin
  • Like 1

Maybe to counter zombies simply disappearing completely from the game if for some reason they all die u could let zombies come in from outside the maps boundaries

Maybe to counter zombies simply disappearing completely from the game if for some reason they all die u could let zombies come in from outside the maps boundaries

The problem with this though is that if all the zombies die, it would take forever for them to make it to the coast leaving towns like Cherno and elekto way to easy to loot, not to mention without the zombies it would just be bandits fighting other bandits. Essentially turning DayZ into death match which is not what the game is about at all.

all in all, I really don't see any way a zombie hunger system would work.

What could be done, is just have zombies that move a various speeds randomly. Some that walk, some that run, some that shamble. this would mix it up and save a lot of development time on a system that would be flawed anyway.

Its time to accept the fact that these zombies are living dead zombies which do not require food.

In the walking dead, Rick is locked up in a hospital for weeks, when he regains consciousness he wanders the hospital and finds a room that has been locked since the outbreak. inside are zombies that have also been there for weeks. the zombies had no people to eat in the duration... no starvation. this is also portrayed later when the find the prison and find zombies that have been locked up for a long time with no food available...

In the George Romero series especially in the Land of the dead, zombies have been alive for years with no means of sustenance.

In the remake of "dawn of the dead" they are trapped in the mall for months, the zombies out side are there the entire duration and do not eat.

I could go on but it would seem redundant...

Edited by Riordin

@Riordin, thats the strategy Max Brooks defends in his books, low profile and not get killed, in a way we are free to use it if we want, this scenario is almost the interpretation of his two books, world war z and zombie survival guide

No reason to use movies that are almost never factual or realistic to back up ur opinions on a game that is striving to be realistic and what i meant was for zombies to come from outside the boundaries continuously not just when the map has no zombies

Edited by Someonerandom

I think that Rocket once said that these zombies just use their brains for physical coordination. So zombies should be able to run at greater speeds than regular humans, because the brain prevents you from running too fast or too long to preserve your muscle health. So you go maybe 70-80% when you think you are giving all you got.

So zombies should be faster than humans to make them a bit more tough, but there should also be more variants of zombies. You cant really put a timer on zombies and say "Hey you didn't eat now you are 2nd class", its just a random number of spawned zombies, maybe even spawn better zombies on high grade loot spawns.

Classes of zombies should be "Well fed" which run fast, "Regular", run as fast as humans, "Hungry", run slightly slower, "Monkeys" that jump around like the current ones, and "Crawlers" that are completely slow but their purpose is mostly if they see you, they make a lot of noise about it, so they attract other zombies.

Growing food in this game is kinda pointless, as most people move around a lot, setting up permanent camps isn't something people do yet, and you cant build anything else than tents, so maybe in the stand alone it would be worth it, but growing corn doesn't give you much food. Eating corn alone isn't a great diet but as a addition maybe. But still there are lots of animals and cans of food which are good enough for current food supplies.

Trains in game would be also a game breaker because of the way people could troll with them and building rails is a bit too far out of the game. Building rails takes a lot of effort and materials, and without machinery the train couldn't go faster than 10-15 mph on them.

And as for the "skill" upgrades I don't really think that enough time passes for such things to be noticable. A average joe, with average gun performances is what the game needs. So that everyone starts at the same level. Only your aiming skill and tactics can help you. Not running around for days, to increase speed so you can outrun people.

In real life it takes a year or so to make some improvements on your body, be it muscle growth or endurance, so if you play DayZ for a week or 2 without dying, you shouldn't be able to run much faster, or aim that much better.

• Like 1

I would like to see bigger cities as well , as for trains it would be neat to see but it would take alot of work and a real outfit to get that working and keep it running.

As for zombies being able to run faster because they are using all brain power on physicality i guess thats fair but honestly could probly be argued that it isnt possible so i think it would be more of what you prefer either a zombie faster than reg humans or reg human speed

As for what you said about growing crops being pointless well think about this do you rlly think food in real life from canned food respawns infinitely NO its eaten and is eventually going to be gone

And yes animals should respawn but if everyone starts hunting a lot the animals will be rarer and food from sustainable crops would be ideal

But yea i agree crops wont be very good without good camps or bases to protect it

Edited by Someonerandom

No reason to use movies that are almost never factual or realistic to back up ur opinions on a game that is striving to be realistic and what i meant was for zombies to come from outside the boundaries continuously not just when the map has no zombies

Fair enough, I'm just stating that I for one have not seen, read or heard of any type of media where zombies are "hungry" or need to eat/drink to survive apart form the 28 weeks series (Not technically zombies)

Even in Max Brook's Books he states clearly that zombies will just keep eating until their stomachs literally explode and will continue to eat. He also states that they will live for months/years given the circumstances.

so to me it just didn't seem to make sense to have the hunger system for zombies.

anyways this will be my last post in this thread I don't feel arguing over this.

And for the record, if you plan on posting idea's and suggestions in an open forum such as this learn, to take a little criticism, use it to mold your ideas, don't just deny it and believe your ideas are fool proof.

PS. Most idea's were fine. it was just the hunger one that was irritating.

Edited by Riordin

Hahaha i did mold my idea not sure why u said that i added the spawning zombies from outside the map from your criticism

And yes i could see zombies living for a month or 2 without food but definitely not a year unless for some reason i can be proven wrong scientifically

Edited by Someonerandom