Riordin

Oculus Rift Support

This should probably be in the ARMA Forums rather than the DayZ forums given the circumstances.

Anyway, i was thinking how amazing DayZ would be if it had support for the Oculus Rift.

In case you haven't seen it the Oculus Rift is "the first truly immersive virtual reality headset for video games."

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game

It's still in development and the SDK wont be shipped until December.

But could you imagine, that extra step of immersion, having to actually turn your head to look behind you rather than holding a key and moving you mouse.

This coupled with a 5/7.1 headset and your pretty much there.

Like i said this is likely more limited to the engine itself and rocket doesn't have too much control over things like this.

but seeing as the SDK is only $300 Bohemia should be jumping all over this... there goal is realism, why not take the next step.

Anyway, I pesonally think this would make DayZ and any game for that matter much much better.

P.S, Gabe Newell (Valve), Cliff Bleszinski (Unreal), and John Carmack (ID) have all endorsed this. in fact John Carmak has been working with this and has fully implemented DOOM III BFG edition to use this.

Love it or hate it, post your thoughts.

Cheers

Forgot to mention, yest this is a kickstarter, however it has almost hit $1,000,000 pleged in less than 48 hrs.

If you want to see this happen i recommend making a pledge and showing your support.

edit, i answered my own question.

Edited by Namyar

Would be cool, but expensive for now. This product is really just showing its possible. It will be a year or more before its releasable in an affordable package, and worked into any of the engines we use currently. And then it will most likely have issues. I still don't know how much i want this virtual reality stuff, would want to try it out before dropping lots of money on it.

edit, i answered my own question.

Its Virtual Reality, you have a little headset/goggles style thing on, that replaces your computer monitor. You play the game by looking through that, instead of looking AT your computer screen.

It would ruin third person imo.

Would be cool, but expensive for now. This product is really just showing its possible. It will be a year or more before its releasable in an affordable package, and worked into any of the engines we use currently. And then it will most likely have issues. I still don't know how much i want this virtual reality stuff, would want to try it out before dropping lots of money on it.

Price wont be too too bad. They're aiming for it to be and affordable option for everyone.

It's rumored price will be roughly $250 - $300 which isn't bad considering hats about the same price as a 24" 120Hz gaming monitor. This gives you a much better view and is still 3D capable.

But yeah, i can see there being bugs and issues to flatten out before its fully useable. But it doesn't even necessarily need to be fully compatible as it also acts as a monitor, just with a better FOV, and since most modern games allow you to edit the FOV you could easily match the 110 FOV and play it with KB/Mouse. just as normal.

Edited by Riordin

3D support is the biggest thing i want. I love 3D and wish people understood that it is far different than the 3D in movies. It lays the gameworld out as if it was in front of you and it extends out to the horizon, and is like a window to a holodeck, with only the resolution and current graphics tech being the weak link. 3D in movies makes it look like your watching everything up on a theater stage. I've already got a large 46" 3DTV that provides a high 85'ish FoV, but the Rift does sound good though. Just the resolution, they can't keep sacrificing resolution in these HMDs imo.

Edited by Thane

There are many 3D techs on the market, the most popular one being by far NVIDIA's 3D vision, this oculus thing will have to support it or die. Without SDK and the actual specs of the device there isn't much to do but to wait.

I'm actually the not so proud owner of a head mounted display from emagin technology, which i had to couple with a trackIR to get some kind of decent head poition recognition (the emagin sensors sucked badly and so does any kind of accelerometers as they end up drifting from the zero position)

All in all they are interesting little things but usually suffer from a limited screen resolution and limited peripheral vision (which can both be fixed, for a price)

640*800 isn't a whole lot per eye, my emagin HMD is 800x600 per eye and i can tell you it's REALLY not a lot, especially for a game as detailed as arma2, i literally couldn't see shit in bushes. 200 grams is HEAVY on the neck, without some counterweight it's going to make for seriously tiring gaming sessions.

http://www.3dvisor.com/

From what I understand, it doesn't take a lot of work to add support, the included libraries take care of most of the work, one would just have to add the option to enable it in the game.. DayZ is a game where immersion really matters, having support for these kind of systems would be a HUGE improvement.

PLEASE make this happen in the standalone version, rocket. I'm begging you! :)

Edited by Grix

Resolution of the dev version is low, but ceo has already said that production version would sport 1080p at least

The Rift has been on my radar for a bit now and i will definitely be grabbing one as soon as they are available. Rocket shat bricks when he tried it so that is promising :)

For sure. lol i expect deaths from heart attack to raise a lot in this game turn around one second then BAM zombie right there eating you...terrifying