Sign in to follow this  
TigersEye

Decreasing PvP killing / Promoting Trade

Idea: Create a killing penalty that randomly destroys half of a deceased player's gear (with the exception of guns) if they are killed by another player.

Goal: To discourage killing players on sight for the purpose of looting their body and to promote trading between random encounters.

Currently there is extremely little to no incentive to enter into a trade with a stranger. It is much easier to just try to kill the other player and loot their body. Creating a rule where a killed player would lose half their gear would hopefully provide some incentive to not kill someone immediately on sight while at the same time not directly penalizing a person if they simply want to kill another player. Also, it would provide leverage for someone who is at a disadvantage and does not have a weapon but might have useful items they could use to barter with and promote trading. This would also promote the trade of services (i.e. a person with a box of matches could offer to start a fire in exchange for something else).

You still would have a chance to get valuable gear from killed players since the item destruction would be random and there would still be plenty of ways to play as a bandit. For example, once they get what they want, they can kill the other player and take the rest.

• Like 2

lame... PvP is the best part of this game... "hey lets try and avoid zombies that are dumber than stumps... sounds fun and challenging..."

• Like 1

lame... PvP is the best part of this game... "hey lets try and avoid zombies that are dumber than stumps... sounds fun and challenging..."

Clearly you only read the title. This wouldn't get rid of PvP or change it...it would just create a little balance between killing another player on sight. Right now there is no reason not to kill someone and even less reason to trade with them. You would still be able to kill everyone to your little Bandit heart's delight with no penalty.

Listen, I'm a pure survivor. Never kill unless self-defense or untrusting of someone. But no man, PvP is part of this game. But KOS is the true problem. And the real solution to that is proper ammo tracking, no ammo resets, and less ammo spawn chances. I want each bullet someone shoots to have meaning, whether it be for supplies, to kill someone for their supplies, to eliminate a threat, w/e. I want challenge. Bandits are challenge and fun to kill. Don't QQ, improve.

Why not, but only if they are killed by heavy ordinance like rocket launchers and satchel charges or die by fire(inside of a burning out car)

Everything else just doesnt make sense.

It's not a bad idea if a killed player was able to inherit half of their items at random upon respawn, with the other half being left on the body. It is obviously unrealistic, but so is having a team of bandits resupplying their friends when they come back from the dead with a new character. In fact they come back with extra supplies as well, so...

I don't think it would help the KoS problem ( yes, it is a problem to many, whether you think it is or not), but I think it would be a good idea anyways. The looting of your own body, is making death nothing more than an inconvenience to many.

Clearly you only read the title. This wouldn't get rid of PvP or change it...it would just create a little balance between killing another player on sight. Right now there is no reason not to kill someone and even less reason to trade with them. You would still be able to kill everyone to your little Bandit heart's delight with no penalty.

There are plenty of reasons to not kill someone, you just don't want to be bothered by them. There is a gigantic thread discussing the details that a group of people have put together for secure trading in DayZ. I believe its the freeside trading company. Regardless, people have found ways to accomplish what you are suggesting "fixes" for without the Devs coming in to fix the game for them. Maybe you should try to do the same. You appear to be butthurt about being killed by a bandit. Welcome to DayZ.

If it isn't going to change PvP, why are you suggesting it?

Edited by Zipper -82ndAB-

There are plenty of reasons to not kill someone, you just don't want to be bothered by them. There is a gigantic thread discussing the details that a group of people have put together for secure trading in DayZ. I believe its the freeside trading company. Regardless, people have found ways to accomplish what you are suggesting "fixes" for without the Devs coming in to fix the game for them. Maybe you should try to do the same. You appear to be butthurt about being killed by a bandit. Welcome to DayZ.

If it isn't going to change PvP, why are you suggesting it?

Aside from the obvious reasons of revealing your location and drawing zombies, what reasons are there to not kill someone? There are advantages in forming groups, but majority of people I've come across in DayZ rather shoot first. Yes, I am aware of trading posts and groups on the forum and know that that is probably the best option for trading atm. But establishing a meeting outside of the game does not address random encounters in the game. As I mentioned, the original idea is to reduce initial KoS; not because I've been "butthurt", thank you, but to encourage an additional pyschological complexity to player to player action. As was also implied, it could also create a value system on items providing certain skills making someone more useful alive than dead...perhaps I was thinking too much into it or perhaps it is too much to ask for in a gaming community where majority of players reduce human interactions to who can get the most kills.

As for the PvP, I realize now I made a mistake in titling the post. It gives the wrong impression about the suggestion and should have been more specific to "reducing KoS" than changing PvP.

Did I just stumble into the "Really Bad Ideas" subforum?

Plenty of non-pvp zombie games out there for the people who can't handle DayZ, don't know why they're trying to ruin this one.