soapmak3r

Fix all of these things first!

Fix the whole zombies walking/warping through solid objects like walls, cars, staircases... thing...How this hasn't taken priority over pretty much everything else I have no idea.

(When I started playing at 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 was due out I was thinking "Oh thank fuck! They are going to fix this finally!"...Now we are coming to 1.7.5 and still no sign)

I have noticed the fan on my gfx card (HD 5850) getting very noisy with DayZ...More than any other game that I have played on it, including BF3 and Crysis 2 on 'high/very high' settings at 1080p...Arma2 runs like crap, at a lower resolution than those games, with settings on high...I'm gonna assume that this won't be fixed, but it is pretty bizarre.

Also...some servers I go into I have 70-80fps, while on others, I have 20-30fps, for no reason at all there is this massive performance drop...WHY??

Fix the infinite, aggroed, zombie horde thing...Put a limit of how many can spawn within a certain time frame.

It's worse than the hordes in Left4Dead, but it wastes practically all of your ammo unless you jump servers, which I HATE doing...

Fix bullets not being able to penetrate blades of grass and leaves/branches on trees, and glass...I thought ArmA2 was supposed to be a military simulator, favouring realism?

Fix glass not shattering with 1 or 2 bullets...

The graphical glitches thing seems to be being worked on...but holy crap, how did you miss that?

Fix the inventory/backpack management...Most murders happen when people are f**king around in their bags. It's a complete pain in the ass at the best of times.

Fix the 'having to find the few pixels to focus on' to open/close doors, climb ladders, pick things up, open gates etc.

Finally...If you are going to nerf the pistols, slow the running/attack animations back down to their normal speed again...It's completely ridiculous as it is. Or better yet, replace them with better animations...

I realise that most of these are problems inherent within ArmA2, but holy shit...These are all glaring problems.

Edited by soapmak3r
  • Like 31

cool story bro

Thanks...I thought I would, you know, offer suggestions that would actually improve the game, rather post a load of crap...

Given the response, I guess most people would rather add stuff to a broken game rather than fix the game first, then add more features...

I guess if you hide in the hills/woods and snipe people from a distance, most of these bugs aren't an issue for you...Probably explains a lot.

• Like 4

All of these things need to be fixed before issues of balance, or new features are added...Zombies warping through things, or suddenly spawning all around you 10 ft away from you and then instantly aggroing is the most game breaking thing right now...

Seriously. Please fix these things before you do anything else.

• Like 1

I've actually been thinking the zombie clipping through walls is there intentionally. It does break the realism, but imho it would be too easy, if you'd actually have to wait for zombies to find a way around. They do seem to run around all fences, so there is definitely a mechanism in place that governs that. If there are more zombies on your facing side, I guess the clipping should end. For now I don't really mind it that much. At least it keeps me on my toes a little more.

I actually find there are too few zombies for them to pose a real thread. Especially at night you can almost walk through a city without any trouble at all.

Backpacks are one hell of an annoyance, I agree on that. I don't know how many weapons I've lost, because I had to equip the axe and make space for it first. There is a way, but so far it includes dropping all the inventory items and going through multiple stages of exchange that just feel ridiculous.

Glas not shattering is one thing. Having to pull out your crowbar or axe to do it silently (and go through the whole process of re-organizing your backpack) is what makes it a pain to me. I never noticed an infected follow me into the hospital, so I guess the whole point of the glass not shattering right away is to give you somewhat of a challenge while you are still outside. I want melee/stun to be incorporated, since you can do enough damage with the butt of a rifle to knock someone out or break a window.

The graphical glitches have been in Arma 1 already. Somehow all surfaces of an object seem to be projected to one point, which then causes the famous triangle artefacts. The door opening is quite annoying, but also an Arma problem. Be thankful you can open doors and enter buildings in Arma II. It can only be better in the next engine. Plus, the standalone engine for Dayz is probably more optimized for interacting with objects and buildings.

I can only imagine how much work it is to fix all the problems with this mod. It is because this isn't a narrow framework of corridor shooting and limited maps with single objectives that makes it so difficult to control every issue. I have only played the last two versions, and I can't say how much has improved since the start of the project. It doesn't seem like a lot of issues can be fixed on the short run. I have high hopes that all these complaints and all the hacks will finally lead to a very stable standalone version. Though again - with a game that offers as much liberty as Dayz, there will probably always be things to exploit and a constant demand for patches. It's a difficult situation for the devs, for sure.

Edited by S3V3N

Since the last 2 updates, it seems like more has been broken than has been fixed...on the surface anyway.

I doubt that zombies walking through walls/objects etc is intentional...It only happens when they are in 'walk mode', when they are running, as you say, they navigate as normal. It's only when they slow down that they start warping through everything.

It is fairly game breaking at times...Especially when combined with an infinitely spawning zombie horde and all you have is an enclosed space...that might as well not exist because it doesn't provide any cover.

• Like 2

Since the last 2 updates, it seems like more has been broken than has been fixed...on the surface anyway.

^ This

I agree, with you on pretty much everything, Rocket and the guys helping out over at Bohemia really need to start squashing the bugs before they add new features.

Otherwise you get this:

"cool check out the new gun and car that was added! Sweet that zombie's walkling right through the car! sweet, the new car just blew up!!! AWESOME!" ...

Another few things they should probably fix:

- Doors slowly closing in on you breaking your legs, causing bleeding and shock.

- Infinite zombie spawn. "cool helicopter crash site, lets clear that out" Kill zombie, see new zombie materialize out of thin air.

- Zombies that can see you... from across town/field... while you're prone.

- Crawling through a doorway prone causing you to stand up

- Cant fit through doorways due to some mystical barrier, unless of course you stand up. "Take that mystical door barrier making Shaman bet you never thought I'd stand up. Foiled you again"

If i think of any more i'll tack those on to.

Fix first, expand later.

Cheers

EDITED: added more.

Edited by Riordin
  • Like 7

Agreed Riordin.

At the end of the day, if they can't fix things in ArmA 2 like bullet proof grass/leaves and AI walking through solid objects, it doesn't really fill me with confidence about them being fixed in Arma 3, especially since it seems to be just the same engine with graphical improvements.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me...but if these issues are still present in Arma3, that's ridiculous. If they are not, why don't they apply the fixes to Arma 2, seeing as Rocket has generated about 1 million units of sales and all...That's a lot of money...

• Like 3

And for the love of cheese and potatoes... PLEASE! Remove the damn AS50 and M107. This is a zombie survival... A 7.62 is a big enough round, no one on gods earth in real life would be stupid enough to carry a .50cal rifle around. Not to mention the ammo is way too abundant! Being able to stop cars and players in one hit with a gun from 1000+ meters in this world is just plain old stupid. At least half the idiots carrying it around don't know how to use it.

• Like 1

I agree with you guys, I know this is Alpha, but I think we've had enough "new features" to hold people over while we fix bugs now.

In addition to the backpack/inventory glitchiness, I would add in tents and (from what I've read) vehicles too; losing stuff because of the inventory being bugged really shouldn't be the hard to fix.

agree with your post but alot of that is stand alone fixable. I totally agree with the fucking hoard and wall stuff though. That should have been priority number one, and they keep saying that they can't fix it in the beta, but we can't walk through everything in game can we?

Also if any dev team looks at this post I 100% agree as a person who post suggestion and bugs to be fixed that you need to stop adding crap at the moment and stablize the build, or course to the best that you can atm we know your not gods.

Also, for everyone if you did'nt know, Rocket is pretty much the only actual programmer for the mod everyone else apparently does other game based stuff but he does all the gameplay coding and shit, so for one person working himself to death hes doing pretty good so far.

I agree with you guys, I know this is Alpha, but I think we've had enough "new features" to hold people over while we fix bugs now.

In addition to the backpack/inventory glitchiness, I would add in tents and (from what I've read) vehicles too; losing stuff because of the inventory being bugged really shouldn't be the hard to fix.

I haven't bothered with tents (because of the reported bugs), and have had very little luck with finding vehicles, which is why I didn't comment on them, but yeah...You can't balance the game properly until the really big, glaring issues are fixed.

Instantly springing to mind:

Zombies walking through things (biggest issue in entire mod).

Slow the zombies down until you get better, faster animations to replace them (second biggest issue).

Grass/leaves being bulletproof.

Inventory management f**king sucks balls.

Otherwise...I love this game like no other! ;)

Edited by soapmak3r
  • Like 1

yes i agree 100% especially with the zed aggro and graphics glitch its almost impossible for me to loot stary sobor because i cant see an inch in front of me

yes i agree 100% especially with the zed aggro and graphics glitch its almost impossible for me to loot stary sobor because i cant see an inch in front of me

It's happened to me anywhere that there are military loot spawns. Cherno, Balota airstrip, NW Airfield are the worst offenders for me...I haven't been to Stary because my friends all had crazy artifacts, but Stary has military loot spawns too...

• Like 1

interesting ideas, but most stuff you are complainig is related to the engine itselg, not the mod, i hope with the new engine we can ge better, or by becoming standalone we can keep the best stuff of this engine and prioritize our needs

These things really need fixed...More than anything else. So I am not letting it go.

The inventory is fine I got it right off the bat and think they just ned to fix the duping and deleting.

The inventory is fine I got it right off the bat and think they just ned to fix the duping and deleting.

The inventory works, it is just clunky as f**k. Most murders happen when some cowardly f**k comes along and shoots you while you are laboriously moving things from your backpack to your inventory or vice versa...

It works, it is just shit.

• Like 1

Fix the whole zombies walking/warping through solid objects like walls, cars, staircases... thing...How this hasn't taken priority over pretty much everything else I have no idea.

(When I started playing at 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 was due out I was thinking "Oh thank fuck! They are going to fix this finally!"...Now we are coming to 1.7.5 and still no sign)

I have noticed the fan on my gfx card (HD 5850) getting very noisy with DayZ...More than any other game that I have played on it, including BF3 and Crysis 2 on 'high/very high' settings at 1080p...Arma2 runs like crap, at a lower resolution than those games, with settings on high...I'm gonna assume that this won't be fixed, but it is pretty bizarre.

Also...some servers I go into I have 70-80fps, while on others, I have 20-30fps, for no reason at all there is this massive performance drop...WHY??

Sounds like issues with your hardware; doesn't happen to me, but I'm running a custom gaming rig

Fix the infinite, aggroed, zombie horde thing...Put a limit of how many can spawn within a certain time frame.

It's worse than the hordes in Left4Dead, but it wastes practically all of your ammo unless you jump servers, which I HATE doing...

I don't seem to have this problem either, but I tend to stealth through everything. Maybe you should try playing stealth, as it would obviously cut back on your use of bullets.

Fix bullets not being able to penetrate blades of grass and leaves/branches on trees, and glass...I thought ArmA2 was supposed to be a military simulator, favouring realism?
Another Issue I don't have. I shoot just fine in prone, as long as I'm in first person. If you're shooting in third person and going by crosshair then you'll be shooting at the ground and not your target.
The graphical glitches thing seems to be being worked on...but holy crap, how did you miss that?

I don't have any graphical glitches, neither do many people running on good computers. Just because you and others experience them doesn't mean Rocket didn't check for them.

Fix the inventory/backpack management...Most murders happen when people are f**king around in their bags. It's a complete pain in the ass at the best of times.

I have yet to be murdered while messing with my bags, but then again I don't mess with my bags in the middle of cherno or NW airfield.

Fix the 'having to find the few pixels to focus on' to open/close doors, climb ladders, pick things up, open gates etc.

I have been able to open doors from across the room by clicking on barbed wire, I have never had the problem of not being able to open a door.

Finally...If you are going to nerf the pistols, slow the running/attack animations back down to their normal speed again...It's completely ridiculous as it is. Or better yet, replace them with better animations...

I realise that most of these are problems inherent within ArmA2, but holy shit...These are all glaring problems.

Not sure what your definition of "glaring" is, but most of these glitches(other than the visual one Rocket is actually working on) aren't really a big deal. Zombies are easy to kill, so them warping around or infinitely spawning aren't an issue.

The real issues are tents, duping, and hackers.

I actually like the backpack management at the moment. once you understand it, it is a really simple to use mechanism. i wouldnt mind them holding off on that for a while so that they can focus on more important things.....LIKE THE GRAPHICAL GLITCH. Yeah, i get pissed off when zombies spawn right next to me and aggro, but i can just lay into them with an assualy riffle and re log to avoid the incoming aggro (i dont class this as cheating because, let's be honest, the zombie was the one who cheated first.) but i would like that placed fairly high on the list. Graphical glitch is the most game ruining thing in the mod though, it is ruining my entire game play and quickly making me bored or the mod altogether. 3rd most important would then be trying to find the sweet spots to open gates and climb ladders (and you know...just about anything else.) that for a start really takes away from my immersion (not nearly as much as the graphical glitch though.) It would be great if the server fps problems were fixed, but then i just suggest server hopping until you find one that is acceptable. Glass shattering should be an easy and quick fix, i dont know why they dont just get on that. The postols arent a big deal, it would be nice if they werent quite so nerfed, but when you consider that this game is based on continuously trying to find better guns, i dont mind the pistols being shit. not to mention it adds more challenge when you HAVE to go for the headshot, so i dont mind.

Point is, the first thing they have to fix is the graphical glitch. As far as i am concerned they can fix things in whatever the hell order they like once the graphics are fixed.

Sounds like issues with your hardware; doesn't happen to me, but I'm running a custom gaming rig

It's not hardware issues. Sometimes you get 60fps, sometimes 20fps, i even had like 0.5fps. It has to do with the server, and how long you have been playing and what you have been doing. Probably some memory leak problem. Sometimes it happens directly, sometimes it slows down gradually and becomes completely unplayable after 2-10 hours.

I don't have any graphical glitches, neither do many people running on good computers. Just because you and others experience them doesn't mean Rocket didn't check for them.

Again, has nothing to do with your hardware. Most people have problems with this, and the devs already found the problem and is working on it.

I have been able to open doors from across the room by clicking on barbed wire, I have never had the problem of not being able to open a door.

Yeah, clicking on barbed wire should remove the wire, not open doors. See the problem? You have to aim exactly at the (sub-pixel) point on the wire's vertical post to remove it.

And if i'm in a shed with two open doors and am facing one door, i select Close Door and it closes the door behind me instead. Grreat!!

Zombies are easy to kill, so them warping around or infinitely spawning aren't an issue.

Not a problem? If you are trapped in a house while they spawn three meters in front of you, blocking the way out? Then another one comes from behind and hits you through the wall, making you bleed?

I once had to shoot 102 zombies because they were just spawning and spawning. Took me about 150 bullets, and i was down to the last mag before i could get away. Now that the weapons are nerfed, i doubt i would survive it...

• Like 1

I know I'm probably the only person in the entire 800,000 strong DayZ community to say this but.......

I kinda like the UI/backpack/gear system. Everybody complains about it, but I think it's actually rather functional once you get used to it. Not a fan of those weapon-eating backpacks though :(

Again, I'm probably the only person who likes the UI :P

It's not hardware issues. Sometimes you get 60fps, sometimes 20fps, i even had like 0.5fps. It has to do with the server, and how long you have been playing and what you have been doing. Probably some memory leak problem. Sometimes it happens directly, sometimes it slows down gradually and becomes completely unplayable after 2-10 hours.

I usually have dayz running in the background at the server selection menu, the current window has been open for around 3 days now. I play it for around 5-6 hours continuously a day, on a range of servers. I started playing a while ago, can't remember when I started, and I have yet to have any framerate issues; even while running fraps I'm always around 60-70FPS at the worst.

If you'd like to give me one of these "low fps" servers, I'd be happy to show you that I won't have this issue(because I have good hardware).

Again, has nothing to do with your hardware. Most people have problems with this, and the devs already found the problem and is working on it.

Most? Do you have a statistic that shows this, or do you just think it's most because of the posts about it?

Most people I play with don't have this issue, but the people I play with have gaming PCs. It also seems that people using a crossfire setup(two video cards, one monitor) don't have artifacting, I have yet to see one case of artifacting for someone with a crossfire setup.

I am not getting this glitch because I have sufficient hardware, hence it is caused by an issue with hardware.

And yes, the team is working on fixing it for those who don't have great computers.

Yeah, clicking on barbed wire should remove the wire, not open doors. See the problem? You have to aim exactly at the (sub-pixel) point on the wire's vertical post to remove it.

And if i'm in a shed with two open doors and am facing one door, i select Close Door and it closes the door behind me instead. Grreat!!

Actually I had the option to remove the barbed wire, but I also had the scroll option to close/open doors. Closing the wrong door isn't a glitch with the game, it's your inability to utilize the scroll wheel.

Not a problem? If you are trapped in a house while they spawn three meters in front of you, blocking the way out? Then another one comes from behind and hits you through the wall, making you bleed?

I once had to shoot 102 zombies because they were just spawning and spawning. Took me about 150 bullets, and i was down to the last mag before i could get away. Now that the weapons are nerfed, i doubt i would survive it...

Zombies aren't able to spawn 3 meters in front of you, their minimum spawn radius is quite a bit further than that; closest I've ever had a zombie spawn to me was about 2-3 houses away from me.

Zombies don't hit you through walls unless you're standing right next to the wall, which is more of a problem with the engine than anything fixable.

Not to mention, zombies lose aggro as soon as they get close to a doorway(or even most gates on fences).

What gun were you using that attracted zombies? I've gone through a ton of primary and secondaries since the patch and they'll only attract maybe 2 or 3 zombies when fired in a decent sized city. In fact, I've found that I can run around with a remmington and never aggro a zombie from shooting it.

I have also not seen a zombie that didn't go down after a headshot, which are easy to get due to the predictable pathing system(they usually run either left or right then shoot straight toward you, easy headshots).

Sounds to me like you are full of crap... and you brag about your custom PC to compensate for a lack of something else...manhood probably...Grow up and stop being a wannabe elitist prick.

A core i5 2500K, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM and a HD5850 1GB in a machine (that I built myself) plays every recent game out there at 1080p and generally on the highest settings.

These issues only happen in Arma2 engine. It is incredibly poorly optimized. The graphical glitches have been acknowledged by Rocket and are addressed (hopefully) in the next patch.

They are caused by dead player bodies, military areas, and barbed wire fences. Every single person I know that is playing is getting them in various places.

Shooting with iron sights at a player prone under a fern tree...3 shots from an enfield and none hit him because the leaves were bullet proof...Then the guy ALT F4s...That's broken.

Shooting at crawlers and hoppers (with iron sights) when they are in long grass, you basically have to lure them away into a clearing before your bullets damage them because they grass is bullet proof.

Again, the low fps issues have been acknowledged by Rocket and are to do with item clean up on servers. It was supposedly fixed with the last patch, but obviously not.

I find it hard to believe that someone is as dumb as you appear to be, so I am gonna assume you are either really young, or just a troll.

Edited by soapmak3r
  • Like 3