munchy

The PvP Discussion Thread

As I've said before, it's always been my intention for side missions, faction development - more end game stuff that would be extremely hard to do without being grouped.

However, the mod is two weeks old. While I have done some work on this, and could put something roughly in - I learned my lesson with humanity implementation. I won't put it in until its complete and ready for the inevitable bugs that a full capacity server will throw.

To be honest, right now the last thing we need is more players and more publicity. If people don't enjoy the mod but maybe see the potential, why don't they take a break? Other people are enjoying it and the servers are full. Please don't take up the slots of those that are enjoying the current, barely started, state.

Each weekend, I am trying to include something new and exciting, but they will be small things, small steps, so that nothing breaks too badly.

I find the contrary to OP. Random murders forces me in to the wilderness ASAP. I literally have to do a 20 minute dash in the city and run to the hills before my inevitable death.

I've found the middle of the woods to be mostly safe as well. Simple because of the huge amount of woods and the limited lines of sight.

You do inevitably have to leave those sheltered areas though' date=' and then what the OP says rings perfectly true.

[/quote']

I registered and made this thread because I got killed in the middle of the woods, at night, by myself, by someone who shot me in the back. I was presenting no threat to them whatsoever.

Seriously, all I can imagine is some giddy 14 year old kid jumping up and down in his chair because he's excited how much he ruined my fun.

I don't want to play video games with people who want to ruin others' fun. In reality, people who commit antisocial behavior are excluded. So we need to make that happen in the game as well.

dont play any games with pvp then... pk'ers are necessary to the game, it adds a real threat that you constantly have to worry about

I call bullsh1t on your story.

You are not in the leaderboards with 12 kills.

You are badly informed: http://dayzmod.com/character/display.php?char=76251

It currently says 18 murders.

As far as I am concerned: I don't mind the PVP in this game. It's what makes it such a thrilling experience.

However I don't consider gunning down freshly spawned noobs as PVP. Griefing is what it is and it wouldn't hurt to do something against it.

You want to stop the bandits from murdering? You want law and order? IMPOSE IT! Form a militia' date=' a posse, a band of bandit-slayin' brothers. Go hunting for known bandits.

This game has a LOT of potential. It could even end up turning into THE zombie mmo, once bigger (and MUCH more stable) servers come along. Once you can REGULARLY meet up with friends in-game, and servers have a stable population, we'll all be able to recognize names in the game, and be able to associate past actions with those names.

Things that would help :

A way to recognize people. Sometimes peoples names show when you look at them, and other times they don't. Frustratingly random, and having a way to identify other players at a glance (with a name over their head or under your crosshair) is a great thing.

A better way to communicate.

A way to form squads or factions, or clans in-game, and recognize faction members (mouse-over name colors?).

A way report and keep track of known PK's, maybe with an in-game notification system like a BlueFor Pop-Up ("rumor says so and so has turned bandit!").

All little things that would enhance the game, and I look forward to seeing how this all turns out. :)

[/quote']

everything you mentioned can be done easily the way the game is, making it more noob friendly is not good for the game

I Like that there is PVP, I like that you need to be cautious of other people and that people will do anything to survive. its just a shame that people are getting gunned down on the shore immediately. half of the time this isn't even for supplies or because people perceive them as a threat. its just to grief.

all things considered I love the mod, happy to be a part of the alpha. but for the moment I think some of us need to take a break while the griefers disperse until something new comes out

good post rocket, middle mouse button "delete game" if it comes to it.

Is this actually possible? Fuck knows. But I really want to find out' date=' and I've got nothing at all to loose. And to be honest, neither have you because you haven't paid me a cent and I haven't been paid a single cent for any of this.

[/quote']

Can you possibly add a paypal link that we can use just for the purpose of getting more servers up or something like that?

PVP is a part of the game and you should deal with it. Like now. Like forever. Please.

Well said rocket. Nice to see that a vocal minority isn't going to change the direction of your game. It's bloody brilliant!

PvP has always been lacking in this game anyway, its nice to have something that not only increases the number of people not in CO-OP, but also does the PvP in such a realistic fashion. Whats awesome is thats not even the main focus of the mod, its just a bonus, love it.

The problem with rocket's last post here is that he hasn't yet actually created a blank set of rules with complete player freedom. I'm talking about stuff such as respawning players and respawning items. They may seem like innocent features on the surface, but the reality is that they encourage negative behavior such as item spawn camping, rampant killing, suicide attacks, etc.

Simply put the current set of systems and game mechanics that rocket has designed offers more freedom to negative playstyles and less freedom to positive playstyles.

What this game needs is more complexity, more systems, and more rules to help positive playstyles achieve an equal balance of freedom to those of negative playstyles.

DayZ is a great experiment and I totally respect rocket as truly up there among the best, but I just hope he doesn't rest on his laurels thinking the current game is anywhere near balanced.

Big picture guys.

Alpha mod. Not a standalone, not a paying gig.

By limiting negative behavior through a game mechanic you are imparting a set of rules. Which is exactly what Rocket said he didn't want to do. I don't think he will budge from this, so either get used to it or go somewhere else.

Having respawning items/players doesn't encourage or discourage negative behavior. In fact I would argue that evens the playing field.

Join a group of people on Teamspeak and make friends. It happened a few nights ago where our clan ran into three or four players in game. There was a brief standoff before inviting them onto our TS server. Since then we have played together. We can create and enforce our own rules and morality if we wish. This is an intentional element of the game.

Rocket hit it head on with his post, And i have gained an abundant amount of respect for the man. He is absolutely right, it is up to us to form and mold this game, not a script. Rocket if you do read this, Thank you for the refreshing speech, I respect that you are not buying into the modern gaming industries ways by "Attempting to reach out to a broader audience" and I will continue to stick by the game until the end. Thanks!

I vote that we all assault the beaches and camp them ruthlessly to teach these carebears how hard core and l337 pro gamers we are and how much of noob beanface scrub bads gonna stay bad they are.

Plus why delay the inevitable anyways. We are going to shoot them while they are playing some Roleplaying RP princess hello kitty island adventure. Lets just cut to the chase and introduce them to what the game is really about before they get too far into it with some false illusions.

TurkeyBurgers, why are you here? posting sarcastic comments? I'm genuinely baffled as to why I seem to have caused you such an affront that you feel the need to reply to my carefully considered posts with sarcasm? If this project offends you so much, why not go do something else?

• Beans 1

The bottom line is the game currently isn't rule-less. As much you guys like to fantasize about it being a rule-less wild west, there are rules set by rocket, and the 1 current rule that dominates the game is: When you die it's gonna take you 10-20mins to respawn and get back a winchester/cz/enfield so you can go back to playing deathmatch.

If you guys enjoy playing within this unrealistic deathmatch framework then that's totally cool, but at least acknowledge that it is a deathmatch framework and not something that is realistic nor balanced.

Anyway I enjoy the game as is, but I wish the pvp veered to being more real and more brutal, and not the arcadey deathmatch that this game turns into day by day.

• Beans 1

So this mod is TDM?

Right now I'm downloading arma and reading thru some posts here and I'm slightly worried. I was expecting some zombie stories and stuff but all I have read is related to players randomly killing players... That sounds discouraging but I'll try the mod first before I give any further comments...

The bottom line is the game currently isn't rule-less. As much you guys like to fantasize about it being a rule-less wild west' date=' there are rules set by rocket, and the 1 current rule that dominates the game is: When you die it's gonna take you 10-20mins to respawn and get back a winchester/cz/enfield so you can go back to playing deathmatch.

If you guys enjoy playing within this unrealistic deathmatch framework then that's totally cool, but at least acknowledge that it is a deathmatch framework and not something that is realistic nor balanced.

Anyway I enjoy the game as is, but I wish the pvp veered to being more real and more brutal, and not the arcadey deathmatch that this game turns into day by day.

[/quote']

Are you saying that when you die you should be banned from the server and/or have the game/mod uninstall itself? Furthermore, when things ARE realistic, they are NOT balanced. That's just how life is, there's always a bigger fish.

I fail to recognize how the mod itself has turned into an "arcadey deathmatch", unless you mean the actions of the players. And how can it get more real and brutal? The game is VERY real and brutal.

So this mod is TDM?

Right now I'm downloading arma and reading thru some posts here and I'm slightly worried. I was expecting some zombie stories and stuff but all I have read is related to players randomly killing players... That sounds discouraging but I'll try the mod first before I give any further comments...

What you're reading are overblown dramatizations of butt-hurt people who made bad choices. Pay no attention to them. That said, there is a player vs. player element, but not in the traditional sense. You aren't pitted against people, they're just there surviving like you. The only thing is some people prefer to prey on the weak and careless and take their gear after murdering them. Others want to cooperate. The trick is identifying who is who and whether or not to trust people you run into.

I avoid people I'm not talking to on Teamspeak like the plague because its the safest bet.

Mhm, OK b00ce, thanks for the tips :)

Cant wait to try it.

So this mod is TDM?

Its pretty simple but the butt hurt carebear wanna-bes can't seem to get it. STAY AWAY FROM THE BIG CITIES, GROUP UP, BE VERY AWARE OF OTHERS YOURE NOT IN CONTACT WITH. It's a huge friggin map and theres no reason to stay near the most dangerous areas except to try and get some blood bags, that in itself is its own little mission.

Are you saying that when you die you should be banned from the server and/or have the game/mod uninstall itself? Furthermore' date=' when things ARE realistic, they are NOT balanced. That's just how life is, there's always a bigger fish.

I fail to recognize how the mod itself has turned into an "arcadey deathmatch", unless you mean the actions of the players. And how can it get more real and brutal? The game is VERY real and brutal.

[/quote']

Basically yeah I'd like to see a 40 hour 'you are dead' screen.

It would be across all servers so you'd have to wait 1.5 days before you can play again. It puts a value on life and deters people from mindlessly DMing all day. On top of that item spawns need to be longer so you can't just camp your way to victory, but instead you should be forced to travel.

Obviously this is a bit too hardcore for first-time players, but some additional game mechanics to help first-time accounts would fix that.