Looking at the stats for these two sniper rifles....

They both have the same statistics in terms of range, mag size, damage, zeroing et cetera.

Why is the cz550 refered to as the worst sniper rifle?

• Like 1

I'm no expert sniper but the M24 has a really intuitive mil-dot sytem on the scope for zeroing. Also the CZ550 sounds like Concorde breaking the sound barrier.

I'm pretty sure you'll get a better answer from a sniper though, I'm an assault rifle fan myself.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 9

The CZ is a farmers rifle for medium game and protecting sheep.

The m24 is a rifle to kill shit at long range disguised as a civil weapon.

Please correct me.

• Like 5

I dont think theres a difference betwheen them except from the scope though I could be wrong.

• Like 1

its the scope.

the M24 has a proper Mildot scope so it can be used much more effectively (by those that know how).

• Like 1

The M24 utilizes a mildot system, allowing a sniper to properly measure the distance of their target and, therefore, measure approximate bullet drop. Essentially, to a trained killer, the M24 is much more user-friendly and allows more accurate shots.

The CZ550 isn't a bad sniper rifle at all - I've killed plenty of people with it. It's just not as good as the M24.

• Like 6

Earlier!

The CZ550 had a Zeroing of up to 800meters, and killed in 2-4 hits, depending on where you hit a guy.

However, the M24 had zeroing up to 1000meters, and could kill in oneshot even at 1400+meters (Confirmed)

Now, the M24 is a Camo version of the CZ550, they use the same caliber rounds, do the same damage, has the same zeroing range, and in terms of sound?

Most snipers make the same sound in terms of volume now. It's just the acustic that's diffrent on some.

So the only diffrence is the mil-dots on the hunting scope that comes with the M24.

So now sniper's can pretty much be ranked by 4.

From top to Bottom. AS50, M107, SVD Dragunov Camo (due to rangefinder, and accuracy), DMR (yupp, it's better than M24, CZ550, same damage, but larger clips, and faster fireing speed)

This is all from a snipers point of view, and i have tried nearly all the sniper's after the nerf/buffs.

(but everything is based on user preference though, don't forget that)

• Like 4

What does the effective range mean for these guns?

For example, my friend found an as50 and the wiki says it has an effective range of 1200m but it can zero up to 1600m. Does this mean that it can accuractly hit up to 1600m but it'll only 1shot up to 1200m?

• Like 1

Everyone prefers CZ550 as the last rifle to use because it's the easiest to find. Everyone believes this because back in 1.7 - CZ550 could be found in just about any barn. Now it's more rare. I, myself, use a sniper rifle all the time. I have used both the M24 and the CZ550 while sniping and both are very similar except the CZ550's aiming is a bit harder then the M24 (for experienced snipers). All you really need to do is zero-in and shoot all you want at targets.

The main difference is the appearance. The M24 looks like a badass sniper rifle while the CZ550 looks like any animal-hunting newbie rifle. Put yourself in this position:

You see two men running side by side and you have a clear kill for both. Would you kill the man with the M24 on the side of his backpack (remember it's camo-ed) or the man with the CZ550 on the side of his backpack?

http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/M24

http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/CZ550

KXRT9.png

Here is a side-by-side comparison. Look how rare both are, and look at the loot spots of both.

• Like 3

Earlier!

The CZ550 had a Zeroing of up to 800meters, and killed in 2-4 hits, depending on where you hit a guy.

However, the M24 had zeroing up to 1000meters, and could kill in oneshot even at 1400+meters (Confirmed)

Now, the M24 is a Camo version of the CZ550, they use the same caliber rounds, do the same damage, has the same zeroing range, and in terms of sound?

Most snipers make the same sound in terms of volume now. It's just the acustic that's diffrent on some.

So the only diffrence is the mil-dots on the hunting scope that comes with the M24.

From top to Bottom. AS50, M107, SVD Dragunov Camo (due to rangefinder, and accuracy), DMR (yupp, it's better than M24, CZ550, same damage, but larger clips, and faster fireing speed)

This is all from a snipers point of view, and i have tried nearly all the sniper's after the nerf/buffs.

(but everything is based on user preference though, don't forget that)

no way the dmr is better than cz550 and m24, sure it has a larger clip and DPS, but its so damn unprecise, you'd better get yourself an enfield...

• Like 2

I'm sorry, but I absolutely must disagree with your rankings. You're grouping together three different categories of weapons.

Anti-materiel rifles:

1. AS50

2. M107

Sniper rifles:

1. M24

2. CZ 550 [Note: Can use NVG while scoped in]

Designated marksman rifles: (The ranking for these weapons are not set in stone, they very much depend on user preference)

1. SVD Dragunov

2. M21 (AKA the DMR) [Note: Can use NVG while scoped in]

An anti-materiel rifle is NOT a sniper rifle. A DMR is NOT a sniper rifle. They are designed to fill distinctly different roles.

I'm not saying you can't use an AS50 in place of a M24, but it still doesn't make the AS50 a sniper rifle, it's an anti-materiel rifle that is masquerading as a sniper rifle. There is a difference, and it is of paramount importance that that difference be respected.

What does the effective range mean for these guns?

For example, my friend found an as50 and the wiki says it has an effective range of 1200m but it can zero up to 1600m. Does this mean that it can accuractly hit up to 1600m but it'll only 1shot up to 1200m?

Ignore "effective range", it doesn't translate well in videogames. Use the weapon yourself, put rounds down-range, you'll figure out what targets you can effectively engage much better than just "well this weapon's 'effective range' is only 150m, guess that means it can't hit shit past 200m" which is a total load of shit.

Also, DayZ doesn't seem to take into account projectile velocity when it does its damage calculations, so putting rounds on a target past the cartridges standard engagement range doesn't seem to make any difference. [Please! If I'm wrong about this I would love to know!]

Edited by AIDS
  • Like 6

I've been told that there's a damage falloff as the projectile decelerates, and I've had two-shot kills on zombies with the CZ at ranges >600m or so, so I'm inclined to believe it. Either that or I got some weird lag/RNG hosing on those shots, which is also possible.

• Like 1

M24: Easy to find ammo(and change DMR mags into M24 clips), Mildots, think its quieter.

CZ550: Ammo is a pain in the ass to find, No Mildots, Louder.

CZ is easier to find, but the m24 is the better weapon.

• Like 2

The CZ is a farmers rifle for medium game and protecting sheep.

The m24 is a rifle to kill shit at long range disguised as a civil weapon.

Please correct me.

Honestly, the CZ550 is a bit of a beast IRL, not just for medium game and protecting sheep.

http://en.wikipedia..../.585_Gehringer

It can be modified to fire ammunition larger than the .50 cal.

Edit: In-game though, I much prefer the M24. Mil-dots, easy ammo to find and generally better in every way apart from availability.

Edited by OpiumCamel
  • Like 3

I'm not going to bother beating the dead horse that is the scope, but i personally find M24 and DMR ammo (which can be turned into M24 ammo) more often than CZ550.

Also,

the CZ550 sounds like Concorde breaking the sound barrier.

(Beans for Concorde reference.)

• Like 3

The M24 is sooo much better than the CZ550, having sniped with both, I can say that with the CZ it seemed like a pain guessing ranges. I only play on veteran servers and if you don't have range finders then your kinda screwed with a CZ550. The M24 works like a beast, Ive shot halfway across the NW airfield to get a kill and save my buddies life. I would perfer an AS50 over the M24 tho ahaha.

• Like 2

Im not the best sniper but my favourite rifle is the CZ550. I'm using a SVD right now but the scope is too hard to use for me, so I'm giving it to a friend of mine who is a better sniper. The CZ-reticle is, in my opinion, not as bad as everyone makes it. Many people forget that not the gun is making the deal, but the one who is using it. Sniping is not about having a modern, huge-ass gun but about finding the right positions, being patient as you don't want to reveal your position and wait for a good opportunity to take the shot. I just like the plain look of the CZ550, its a real hunting rifle and not one of theese plastic-toys.

• Like 1

My first kill in Dayz was made with a CZ550, so i'll always adore that gun. That said, the M24 is better in every aspect i think (having mildots is enough to make the M24 better than the CZ considering that i always play on veteran servers and rangefinders are not so easy to find).

• Like 1

The cz550 does not have a mildot scope

You don't need it since you can use the zeroing.

I would say the main difference between the CZ550 and the M24 is how common you can find the bullets for each one.

You can always find a few rounds for the CZ in barns but you will only find a few. On the other hand, the M24 can use the DMR bullets (if you convert them, and by converting a DMR mag into M24 bullets you will get 20 rounds), so if you really like wandering north in places like Stary for example, you can find the ammo for that gun pretty easily.

You don't need it since you can use the zeroing.

You need mildots to calculate the range of the target in order to zero your scope...

• Like 1

M24 can use DMR ammo which is very readily available

Honestly, I find neither of the ammos anywhere. And when I do, it's either almost ran out, or I'm in Elektro and there aren't any snipers in there. I do enjoy the CZ much more than the M24, just because I enjoy the looks of the gun more, and the fact that I can use NVGs under the scope. I do agree with the rarity of the ammo, but I never EVER find DMR mags. Ever. Ever.

I never EVER find DMR mags. Ever. Ever.

I find them all the time in industrial sites. I always hope they're STANAG when I first spot them, and am disappointed. One DMR mag is four M24 reloads, I think they might be more common than CZ ammo at that rate, not to mention easier to carry in bulk.

I'd like to see an ammo revamp, so that ammunition for the M24, CZ, revolver and enfield aren't always packed up in one-reload stripper clips. You can load these weapons with loose cartridges, so it would become possible to have CZ ammo in stacks of twenty for space economy and just have five loaded at a time. Shotgun shells could work the same way, since there's no reason I'd have to take three out of my 870 in order to put five in. It's my understanding that the ArmA engine doesn't tolerate that sort of thing, but the standalone can probably manage it.