Sign in to follow this  
ochie (DayZ)

Required Network Speed?

Best off just writing 100mbit for the sake of it, most of the specs 'required' are completely overexaggerated anyway. Essentially an attempt to weed out the kids who think their alienwares and 5mbit residential lines are gonna be enough for a server I guess.

It's just what DayZ staff want for their minimum speed. I'm running 3 DayZ servers and were only pushing 20-25 when the servers are full but averages around 15

Edited by ebianbluefox

You got to keep in mind that it is not just network speed they are after. Datacenters will provide a constant, reliable stream of data to a machine. Many ISP's do not, and during peak times speeds are known to drop. Now if you are on Fiber that takes away the speed dropping part but does not replace the reliability. Having multiple backbones and guarantees your speed will not drop is just a plus of using a data center.

Not to mention users seem to be have better connectivity to data centers instead of regular ISP's, where packetloss and dropped connections are frequent.

Best off just writing 100mbit for the sake of it, most of the specs 'required' are completely overexaggerated anyway. Essentially an attempt to weed out the kids who think their alienwares and 5mbit residential lines are gonna be enough for a server I guess.

Sorry, my server uses ~6Mbps - 10Mbps when full (50 players). Home lines are not meant for sustained upstream bandwith, or hosting servers (most of the time it is against your ISP's TOS). Even then, maxing out your actual bandwith is a completely idiotic option when hosting a server.

Edited by icomrade

We do not want home hosts, kids, etc. We want servers in datacenters.

Understandable.

All I can say is that a lot of people are getting very upset by these server requirements. Including my self. Many of us has insane servers with dedicated fiber optics and are still getting denied because when you do an IP lookup it doesn't give you the "name" of a datacenter.

I understand that you don't want kids, home connections etc. It's all just problems and I agree with those restrictions. But to be honest there are many home connections that could host dayz servers with far more stability and far less lag than a datacenter hosted server. These "authorized server providers" are basically putting multiple dayz servers on one machine. So it doesn't matter if they have 10gbps to that datacenter. It will still lag. And I bet a load of people can confirm that. Any server not running on the default port has multiple other dayz servers on that same machine. And I'm pretty sure you all shot a zombie who dies 2 seconds later. Or even shot a zombie where the shots didn't even register.

My self for example got both more powerful hardware and stronger connection including FLA and all the stuff that you mention straight into my villa. In Sweden it could be called a home connection but it is indeed a dedicated fiber optics which allows internet speeds of up to 10 gbps. In other countries my garage would be called datacenter. Now I do not pay for the 10gbps plan as it costs a fortune. It's just to prove the point of the network that I and other people have in to their homes. I pay for a dedicated 100/100 connection. Which is not shared by anyone but this single server. And it never decreases as it is truly dedicated.

So by the end of the day my home could host way more stable and powerful servers than any of those greedy server providers who squeeze as many servers as they can in one single machine just to make a profit. While I would have a whole machine for one single dayz server. Including a dedicated fiber optics pipe. Yet you decline people like me and accept the greedy companies and their false promises.

While a datacenter can provide a decent overall quality compared to home connections, home connections should be in the consideration under the right circumstances.

And yes servers hosted at co-location is ideal. But game-server providers actually has quite bad quality. I tried renting a few different ones my self already and I was not happy with the performance.

You really should re-evaluate your requirements to allow home connections with fiber optics. There is where the true community quality lies. Not at the greedy game-server companies.

I understand that you don't want kids, home connections etc. It's all just problems and I agree with those restrictions. But to be honest there are many home connections that could host dayz servers with far more stability and far less lag than a datacenter hosted server. These "authorized server providers" are basically putting multiple dayz servers on one machine. So it doesn't matter if they have 10gbps to that datacenter. It will still lag. And I bet a load of people can confirm that. Any server not running on the default port has multiple other dayz servers on that same machine. And I'm pretty sure you all shot a zombie who dies 2 seconds later. Or even shot a zombie where the shots didn't even register.

That is only assuming they are overloading there boxes, which some may be intentionally or unintentionally.

So by the end of the day my home could host way more stable and powerful servers than any of those greedy server providers who squeeze as many servers as they can in one single machine just to make a profit. While I would have a whole machine for one single dayz server. Including a dedicated fiber optics pipe. Yet you decline people like me and accept the greedy companies and their false promises.

I am not trying to pick a fight here but that would be a complete waste of resources. It would be silly not to run several servers DayZ or not from a machine that cost several thousand dollars.(Depending on specifications).

While a datacenter can provide a decent overall quality compared to home connections, home connections should be in the consideration under the right circumstances.

It is not so much the problem that home connections cannot provide a decent quality line for a while it is that there are constant problems that home connections get pegged with. Datacenters have redundant systems to prevent that from happening, not to mention the connections to multiple NSP's just in-case one is overloaded or down. On top of that you will also find that many home connections are known to give packet loss or dropped connections, now for someone who is checking email, watching youtube it is not a big deal, but for a server that requires a constant connection even a little blip can cause issues and we are all aware of host fast and easy customers get pissed off.

That is only assuming they are overloading there boxes, which some may be intentionally or unintentionally.

Yes indeed they are. I know many server admins for dayz, and I even know people who work at game-server companies that confirms this. Hell you could even check it out your self by joining every server and kill a few zombies. There is lag that wouldn't be there if they didn't oversell.

I am not trying to pick a fight here but that would be a complete waste of resources. It would be silly not to run several servers DayZ or not from a machine that cost several thousand dollars.(Depending on specifications).

We all value different things. And if it is the admins decision to waste his resources then so be it. Should just make the players more happy. I know many people who would indeed use dedicated hardware if they were approved instead of using the oversold crap.

It is not so much the problem that home connections cannot provide a decent quality line for a while it is that there are constant problems that home connections get pegged with. Datacenters have redundant systems to prevent that from happening, not to mention the connections to multiple NSP's just in-case one is overloaded or down. On top of that you will also find that many home connections are known to give packet loss or dropped connections, now for someone who is checking email, watching youtube it is not a big deal, but for a server that requires a constant connection even a little blip can cause issues and we are all aware of host fast and easy customers get pissed off.

That is true with some countries / areas / ISPs etc... But I do indeed have a personal business fiber optics straight into my house with SLA and everything. You don't want to know how much I paid to have that built all the way. Even if I had a generator to make sure I had redundant power. (And I also have 2 internet connections for redundant internet) I would still get declined from dayz because it doesn't show up as a "datacenter". I don't even need redundant everything because of the last 6 months my downtime has been about 0 seconds.

I guess it's difficult for people who still has ADSL / VDSL to understand how reliable fiber optics is. At least from where I purchase it.

And to be honest we are not talking about hosting a server for NASA where the reliability must be 110%. No body would even notice if a server went down 3 minutes every year. What many FiOS users can provide is way beyond what DayZ need / require yet they are declined because of a stupid rule. Actually all these "datacenter" talk is kind of crap talk. They can have far more downtime than home connections. (Out of experience)

Edited by Kraegan

Yes indeed they are. I know many server admins for dayz, and I even know people who work at game-server companies that confirms this. Hell you could even check it out your self by joining every server and kill a few zombies. There is lag that wouldn't be there if they didn't oversell.

We all value different things. And if it is the admins decision to waste his resources then so be it. Should just make the players more happy. I know many people who would indeed use dedicated hardware if they were approved instead of using the oversold crap.

That is true with some countries / areas / ISPs etc... But I do indeed have a personal business fiber optics straight into my house with SLA and everything. You don't want to know how much I paid to have that built all the way. Even if I had a generator to make sure I had redundant power. (And I also have 2 internet connections for redundant internet) I would still get declined from dayz because it doesn't show up as a "datacenter". I don't even need redundant everything because of the last 6 months my downtime has been about 0 seconds.

I guess it's difficult for people who still has ADSL / VDSL to understand how reliable fiber optics is. At least from where I purchase it.

Where do you purchase it and what size is your commit?

Where do you purchase it and what size is your commit?

Does that matter?

But to answer your question the latest one I tried was ViLayer. 50 slot in EU-Luxembourg. My experience with them is: Slow updates. Laggy servers.

Edit: I just realized you were talking about my internet connection. I purchase it from Telia Sonera. 100/100 dedicated FiOS unmetered. Static ip. Can choose up to 10gbps.

Edited by Kraegan

Really just depends on the company, each company will have its own *safe zone* for machines and some may not, especially with DayZ it is important to leave that extra overhead.

Well the point behind what I was saying is that if you have a quad core machine and at any given time DayZ is only using two of those cores, using those other two cores wont hinder performance. Simple because those cores are there and meant to be used, if they sit and do nothing it is neither helping nor hurting.

And to be honest we are not talking about hosting a server for NASA where the reliability must be 110%. No body would even notice if a server went down 3 minutes every year. What many FiOS users can provide is way beyond what DayZ need / require yet they are declined because of a stupid rule. Actually all these "datacenter" talk is kind of crap talk. They can have far more downtime than home connections. (Out of experience)

Sounds like me and you need to have a LAN..lol

Sorry, my server uses ~6Mbps - 10Mbps when full (50 players). Home lines are not meant for sustained upstream bandwith, or hosting servers (most of the time it is against your ISP's TOS). Even then, maxing out your actual bandwith is a completely idiotic option when hosting a server.

Thankyou for reiterating my point.

Really just depends on the company, each company will have its own *safe zone* for machines and some may not, especially with DayZ it is important to leave that extra overhead.

Yes exactly and the biggest / most used ones for dayz overfill their machines quite badly. They take it to the point where there is noticeable lag. But not laggy enough for someone to bother change provider.

And to Orcworm:

10mbps constant upload is nothing for FiOS connection. Neither is 5TB a month. It's far below normal usage for any "Home" FiOS out there.

I don't know where you guys live but in Sweden it's common for people to upload 20TB every month. (Without any issues at all)

Edited by Kraegan