Sign in to follow this  
chazg1234

dayz for mac?

i really want dayz i have a laptop but it cannot run arma 2 but i have an imac 2011 and it would run it perfectley however arma is windows only is their anyway round this atall? i really want to play dayz thanks very much charlie

i would buy it but is that all you need and will it gurantee to work

Yup, I play DayZ through bootcamp XP and it works perfectly fine :)

so if i bought the parrells software and installed bootcamp it would work i dont need aany windows keys or any other costs? does it evver crash using the mac also

thanks very much charlie

Chazg, take note: there is a huge difference between Bootcamp, as Synopsis mentioned he uses, and Parallels.

Parallels is a program that runs on OS X that virtualizes a PC. You run it out of the box and you have a nice black screen with a blinking C: cursor on it. Then you install your flavor of supported OSs.

Bootcamp IS a native PC using the hardware in the Mac.

Parallels will be slower and probably buggy, since you are borrowing resources from the host (OS X) and everything you do is a translation.

It works amazingly well, but I am not too sure about running a modern game in Parallels.

Let us know!

Hello all I'm new here I was wondering if I install window vista on my MacBook pro would I be able to play dayz with no problem..

Chazg, take note: there is a huge difference between Bootcamp, as Synopsis mentioned he uses, and Parallels.

Parallels is a program that runs on OS X that virtualizes a PC. You run it out of the box and you have a nice black screen with a blinking C: cursor on it. Then you install your flavor of supported OSs.

Bootcamp IS a native PC using the hardware in the Mac.

Parallels will be slower and probably buggy, since you are borrowing resources from the host (OS X) and everything you do is a translation.

It works amazingly well, but I am not too sure about running a modern game in Parallels.

Let us know!

parallels shouldn't be dreadfully slow, most modern hardware provides virtualization support out of box. but i'll agree, dayz and armaII are pretty cpu/gpu intensive programs you might as well get as much performance as possible and not share resources.

dual boot your imac and you should be good to go!

Know if its vista cuz my bro is going to do the install for me and I didn't ask him if it was 7 or vista but yeah I agree with vista is a big old pile of poo so hopefully it's windows 7 lol

i would buy it but is that all you need and will it gurantee to work

I use boot camp, it runs on my mac book perfectly.

Sell your mac, Buy a PC thats 10 times faster, and about half the price. Buy a new Ferrari with other money.

Would I still have to use boot camp to run dayz on my Mac even if Im running windows on it or is there another program I can use

I have a Macbook Pro (late 2008) and I use Bootcamp to run Windows 7 and play DayZ as well as other games like Skyrim.

I have a bit of lag while playing DayZ but that is due to old hardware and not Bootcamp it self. Using Bootcamp is just like running mac osx in the sense that it does not take extra power from the hardware to get it to run, its just like having a regular PC.For your Mac it should run just fine but you may need to lower the video quality while playing DayZ (it's a pretty graphically intense game no matter what) I hope this answers some questions. -Wtf ideas

Edited by Wtf Ideas

I have a Late-2011 MacBook Pro. I installed 8 GB of RAM and bootcamp with windows 7 ultimate. However I have problems running Arma/DayZ. By problems I mean it seems as if my computer just can't handle it. Should that be the case?

My friend is playing on his mac, he went to a apple store, they installed bootcamp for him (free) then he got windows 7 64bit on it and he got arma2 on steam and hes now playing wioth me. works perfectly fine.

Would I still have to use boot camp to run dayz on my Mac even if Im running windows on it or is there another program I can use

Your question is a conundrum that circles back and eats itself then spits out an enigma.

Let's do this backwards.

You want to run DayZ.

You need Arma2 and Arma2:Operation Arrowhead

They only run on Windows.

You are on a Mac.

While on OS X, you can run Windows in a virtualization sandbox such as Parallels, or VMware Fusion. --> Install Windows on either of those, then install the games, then play.

You could also run WIndows on the Apple hardware, by using Bootcamp (a bootloader that, when you turn the power on to the machine, the first thing you see is a big question that says "Hey what do you want to do today? Are you going to have me load up Windows, or OS X?" ) Choose Windows. Install and play Arma2 and DayZ, In order to utilize Bootcamp and install Windows (I am not sure if the latest version will support Vista, but it used to), you will need to seek further assistance.

Please post all the specs,

2010 15" models and up can play the game with little lag.

2011 MacBook 13" can play the games on low and low visibility with minor lag.

The late 2011 will run perfectly on the 15 without any problems whatsoever

Same thing with the 15" 2012. And 13" 2012.