3rdparty

Control Old Industry

Theres some really good threads (although few and far between) on fort/base building and focuses towards permafixtures. Base Building/Endgame Suggestion- Shipping Crates! by Bribase (a recent goodun)
Vintage Threads: Expanded Camps by Stewe231(hesco permafixture cred:lithiumfox), Player Placeable Camp Structures by Land Squid
Others: Make a fort/base by Aerthemis, A few fortification ideas by slash71, Construction by Ice Cold Killa, Fort Construction in later development by ShadoX

But i think there should also be a focus on fortifying/controlling old industries.Which would not only offer extended long group activities with a pay off, but would also offer arms of strength for groups which would either be fought for or bargained with. Which in effect will be player designed safe zones.

Compiled a similar thread for smaller bandit groups and lone survivors: Control Rural Industry

Group activities

Electric grid:
Power Plants, electric grid, and Generators V3.3 by Bullfrog

Coal Mines (Also leading towards controlling Trains)
Coal Mines - Problems with Head (Extra environment, items; linked threads)
Other mines could be introduced; harvesting for metals for use in factory (see factories below), or other potentials such as flint from the Quarry for an alternative spark Suggestion: Flint Lighter by BIttermace

But theres so many other things, Hospitals could be controlled for their equipment, certain injuries should be much more debilitating and require access to materials/equipment in hospitals. EDIT: Ultimate Goal by Rhodes is a thread providing also other activities including in the hospital, primarily the production of medicines.
Need Medical Assistance? We can help. by Dr Wasteland MD Groups like Trusted Medics of the Wasteland [TMW], might be interested in this, especially if mechanics were opened that really made you aware of your health and condition.
Some of this equipment may still not be out of the reach of groups wishing to set up remote forts, ambulances could house some of this equipment, and be moved to base location.

If severe weather conditions become an aspect of the game, AC towers should be repaired for their radar equipment to give hints of coming weather conditions or (if this thread on mist/fog{airborne virus} being attached to large hordes of zeds is implemented Airborne Virus V3.5 by Bullfrog) large scale zed activity.

Radio Towers should be potentially broken (repairable) for long range use of radios. Or for pirate radio stations XD - World Building: DayZ Radio by deathdanish in which case i think most clans would be fighting over that due to music tastes XD or for boasting their dominance on the server to any lone wolves or ambitious new groups looking to settle on a new server.

Garages should be introduced, in which any extra modifications to vehicles must be conducted there (rather then posting my original thread on this which went off topic due to its source, heres pictures of real life modded vehicles used by drug gangs narco tanks! https://www.google.c...FHoa_0QWCgoGgAw)

Factories should be used for customizing weaponry, i know ive seen threads/discussions on this before, not to mention repairing degrading weapons (which i think should be possible anywhere) Anything beyond repairing, including modding or creating weapons should be done in factories with the necessary tools and equipment. Not mention also using them to recycle old shells perhaps and remake bullets. But these tasks could be split into different types of factories, further splitting the balance of power, factory accommodating for weapons and ammunition or metal works for melting ore and crafting parts (whether for vehicles/item mods or other repairs in other industry "targets")

Id like to see if anyone disagrees OR has other possible "industry targets". The idea is they serve as source of power for a group that can be used to negotiate with other groups which dominate sectors of the server and their associated industries. Or fight over smile.png
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: There has also been numerous threads on traps; What kind of traps can you think of? by xTLRxPrototype is a recent goodun encouraging sandbox thoughts on trap making, which is what they should be. Base Defenses ( Document included ) by ZombieGrin is a more established thread attempting the same creativity
Factories could provide locations for creating complex traps but also acquiring the basic ingredients for traps; mainly tripwire and industrial glue. These could be used to create a range of creative traps providing defences for bases whilst removing the element of players familiarising themselves with common set piece traps.

EDITS

Seen discussion/threads on contaminated water before.
Give Waterpumps random chance to be contaminated by Denkkraft
More Infections - A use for Antibiotics by Chrisbes

If this was implemented, and affected gameplay enough that it became a major focus of survival. Then I think it would plausible to introduce Water Treatment Plants that could also serve as another area of control. Soda cans would obviously be the main choice for peeps who cannot guarantee clean water, or an option allowed so you can boil water (discussed in threads), but I think if soda cans were made a lil rarer or made so that they are not as an effective relief as water, and introduction of the option of boiling water (an obvious long and potentially attention drawing hazard) then I think this could balance with a facility which produces guaranteed clean water. Which given the nature of reduced "thirst quenching" of soda cans, could give a real incentive to take the facility over.

These could potentially be connected to Sewers, Explorable underground Sewers? by nothinginsight could connect up to large networks underneath cities. Although no loot would spawn, they do provide access to areas with temp safety from snipers whilst giving the game a close combat feel in areas as much as there is open conflict outside. Small groups might settle there, unable to meet an objective but close to supplies before organizing. If they were linked to some of the (city) buildings mentioned, it would provide different entrances to secure, or escape routes.

Dont think they should expand beyond the reach of city, and possibly only a single line to a water treatment plant.
Credit also given to OW22 :')

Seeing as so many peeps are keen on the idea of a Trading Post (Survivor trading camp by alaness), a Police Station / Prison would be ideal for this, although not containing the kind of facilities that the other buildings offer. It does offer a very secure building, which could be easily defended, but also... has metal detectors!! This type of building would be perfect for groups such as Freeside Trading Co Freeside Trading Co. Membership Renewal by Kurkistan which could effectively force peeps through the metal detectors if they wish to enter and trade.
Also could have in built radio system providing wider coverage or easier access to radio towers, also benefiting trading groups wishing to be kept up to date with developments on the server (or a reason to collaborate, control radio towers themselves XD)

Oil Rigs could be a whole different objective linked to Refinery's that i would imagine would be of the same scale as electric grid, although probably much safer. A refinery could be on one island for example, promoting groups to use boats and Islands more. Further the electric grid and refinery/oil rig would have to be somewhat independent from each other, but potentially self sustaining if linked. One group doing this seems very unlikely, but this kind of objective arrangement could easily accommodate two large clans on a server. Edited by 3rdParty
  • Like 44

All good stuff and your use of the search tool to get sources for your points gave me butterfiles.The forum will only let me give you beans, but you actually have my axe.

• Like 3

All good stuff and your use of the search tool to get sources for your points gave me butterfiles.The forum will only let me give you beans, but you actually have my axe.

Thank you kind sir, i swear to swing it only at morons XD

But, allow me to play devil's advocate for a minute. How would you tackle the matter of clan ownership of these facilites when it comes to factoring in timezones.

What i mean is that a clan can't always be there to protect their turf at all times. An example of this headache in a persistent sandbox is the sovereignty wars that take place in EVE online. They have been trying to find the right system for years now.

Edited by DryGulch

Indeed, tis a problem that I have been thinking of myself and have not really thought of a solution without producing a less then pretty facial expression.

However i dunno if ye have come across this thread http://dayzmod.com/f...sting-feedback/ but there may be some potential in this as a system for managing peeps control over an area, at least i see a potential in there for refining a mechanic to solve this dilemma.

Otherwise i feel that if a group isnt big enough, it probably shouldnt be able to control the industry 24/7 anyway. But it is an interesting problem ye raise.

But i think the problem is definitely linked into the same security concerns peeps have raised for when theyre offline from the basic permafixtures already ingame.

Maybe the actual solution is massively extend the sandbox activities and creative capacity for traps.

Edited by 3rdParty

I posted once in reply to a thread about portable generators, in that post I posited that they should be very rare and that the very nature of having to keep them fueled could be a balancing factor.

This would make these key facilites in your OP more of a transient asset that no one Clan or group could ( or would want to) dominate due to the logistics of keeping them running.Possibly even add a finite amount of fuel per 24 hour period to the fuel dumps on the map.

Plus, the noise/light from running them could be an attraction for zombies/other players.

Edited by DryGulch

Mmmaybe, i dunno though, if the payoff reward of the facility is high enough then I think it might be still desirable. The balance comes in matching activities and facilities to different groups. So for example the electric grid idea might be a logistical nightmare but still very much possible for a large organised group, whilst controlling the garage for example might be possible for smaller ones.

I see what ye mean about the negatives of the portable generator, and the potential fools errand of dragging one into town and turning it on.

I fell that extending on the traps is, at least, the most plausible (or i should say agreeable) solution. Creating traps that would take long periods of time to identify or dismantle might help balance out peeps worries about their fortifications and bases.

The idea of controlling all areas of interest, all towns and all routes is the true logistical nightmare and should be close to impossible, so as to create different groups with different agendas or ideas for playing the game, which will i feel create the fertile ground for very interesting PvP.

The idea of controlling all areas of interest, all towns and all routes is the true logistical nightmare and should be close to impossible, so as to create different groups with different agendas or ideas for playing the game, which will i feel create the fertile ground for very interesting PvP.

Yeah that's what I meant. Plus, it gives smaller groups a chance to attack the supply lines of larger.

• Like 1

Here, you deserve more than beans.

(Does anyone know how I can display these pictures and gifs so you don't have to click on them?)

Edited by CarloNord
  • Like 1

Yeah that's what I meant. Plus, it gives smaller groups a chance to attack the supply lines of larger.

XD i believe were on the same page

IF the activities are balanced precisely, some of the areas of interest may simply not be in a large clans interest (even though it is within their ability) giving an extra chance for smaller groups to set up on a highly dominated server.

Here, you deserve more than beans.

(Does anyone know how I can't display these pictures and gifs so you don't have to click on them?)

my god, how many died for this dew? where did we all go wrong.

also thankyou XD

But, allow me to play devil's advocate for a minute. How would you tackle the matter of clan ownership of these facilites when it comes to factoring in timezones.

What i mean is that a clan can't always be there to protect their turf at all times. An example of this headache in a persistent sandbox is the sovereignty wars that take place in EVE online. They have been trying to find the right system for years now.

I agree with you about the EVE thing, playing that now for 6 years almost and POS is generally what gets everyone riled up when it's besieged due to no one being online during certain timezones.

To implement this on DayZ would not work the same as all you would have to do is make max 20 server and spam your group/clan untill they are all in... maybe they could only limit this to like 60+ people servers? thing with EVE its a complete open world 1 server game which allows for more dynamic and sandbox type gameplay, having different server stops that :(

Really good idea though and I would like to see it implemented, my main concern would be a group kitting out with UBER weapons then just griefing in Cherno on another Server?

Could talk about this for hours but its early im at work and my head hurts ;)

AJ

I guess

my main concern would be a group kitting out with UBER weapons then just griefing in Cherno on another Server?

I see your concern, giving a scenario, a group (a laarge group) could lock down say cherno, electro. Make it their own, pack it with the fruits of their hauling all over the map. Then server hop into cherno kitted out. But tbh, i dont think this would be entirely a disaster.

One thread i really like that im sure most ze frequent users have seen rebumped and have probably dabbled through is this http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20112-the-only-realistic-way-to-prevent-deathmatching-make-dayz-a-living-hell/ (The ONLY Realistic Way to Prevent Deathmatching: Make DayZ a Living Hell)

If this was made much harder, it might be potentially very dangerous for even a large group to spawn into a town that hasnt been cleared out. Also If cherno hasnt been occupied, it might be an indication that large groups are not dominant/present on the server, or at least no groups as large and bold enough to attempt such a server hop. In which case I (currently) dont see much of a problem with it. Im sure there are other scenarios that need to be played around with/discussed to gleam out flaws with the idea though.

Actually another idea, water treatment plant.

Ive seen many threads (trying to find a well developed one) discussing water contamination/ increased likelihood of catching an illness from using the water sources on the map (ponds having a higher chance of infection then pumps)

If this was introduced, and was developed in such a way that it became an important factor to carefully structuring your gameplay, then a water treatment facility could be another plausible area of interest.

• Like 1

One thread i really like that im sure most ze frequent users have seen rebumped and have probably dabbled through is this http://dayzmod.com/f...-a-living-hell/ (The ONLY Realistic Way to Prevent Deathmatching: Make DayZ a Living Hell)

Yeah I am following this post and would love to see some of the ideas come through.

Not saying it would be a bad thing but for example me who only gets on at 21:00 GMT London Time*

Say all the -6 GMT severs that I use got locked down then I would be screwed (even more then you already are lol!)

Either way I am very up for POS coming into this game :D

• Like 1

Actually another idea, water treatment plant.

Ive seen many threads (trying to find a well developed one) discussing water contamination/ increased likelihood of catching an illness from using the water sources on the map (ponds having a higher chance of infection then pumps)

If this was introduced, and was developed in such a way that it became an important factor to carefully structuring your gameplay, then a water treatment facility could be another plausible area of interest.

Ooohh that is a good idea! maybe implement like your own heat treatment just by using a fire and water bottle + empty tin cans to boil the water, wouldn't 100% disinfect but come pretty close, but you are right most ponds are stagnant and I don't think I would drink one even if I was in a Zombie apocalypse :P

AJ

• Like 1

what about using war times - i know it doesnt completely fit in within the ultra realistic do what you like style but

if in future they give the ability to make groups etc within game - then you could have siege times within each server (say 8pm in game time on a saturday)

multiple groups can fight it out and the winner takes control of the utilities for a week and then have to defend it the next time

Perhaps owning certain industries allow you to make fortification - you're safe until the enemy breaks through the walls

what about using war times - i know it doesnt completely fit in within the ultra realistic do what you like style but

if in future they give the ability to make groups etc within game - then you could have siege times within each server (say 8pm in game time on a saturday)

multiple groups can fight it out and the winner takes control of the utilities for a week and then have to defend it the next time

Perhaps owning certain industries allow you to make fortification - you're safe until the enemy breaks through the walls

It's a nice idea but the whole point of this game is to have no real structure in game play, basically your idea but it can happen any time...anywhere...anyone...anything.

Keep certain times to attack and all the jazz out of games like this, good thought though :D

AJ

meh, dunno about that, fixing down what you can do, when, beyond any logical constraints (ie you cant drive the bloody car cause its dark, you got no NVG and the lights are broken! dunno if the lights can even break :S) wouldnt go down well with ze core of this community, and i wouldnt disagree with em either.

I can see how through that system you could guarantee such and such a group has control over such n such an industry and within your group feel comforted/secure with knowing you have control. But it hasnt got that freedom and unpredictability to it that is a wonderful aspect of the game, and so i dont think that mechanic would fly very far.

well yeh i agree with that - the issue is though that with server hopping freedom at the moment there isn't any reason to fight over industry, just find a server where the one you want isn't being defending at that moment

its like the risk of tents but at least you can hide a tent, where as the industry is on the map

well yeh i agree with that - the issue is though that with server hopping freedom at the moment there isn't any reason to fight over industry, just find a server where the one you want isn't being defending at that moment

its like the risk of tents but at least you can hide a tent, where as the industry is on the map

Yea ye can do that, but the idea is that the industry is not immediatly accessible, and in most cases probably wont be to lone survivors. Imagine trying to fix up an electric grid if you were the last person the planet? let alone if it were infested with zeds and murderers.

The repairing and maintenance of them are tasks of varying complexity requiring different levels of organization. You wouldnt be able to just keep hoping until you find the electric plant thats turned on, if you do, then theres probably gonna be a few peeps close by interested in why youre there.

but then at the same time - if its so complex, as a clan would you fix it up, only to log off 4 hours later and have someone else

a- steal it

b- destroy it

c- wait for you to come back in and shoot you

don't get me wrong i think its a brilliant idea, but in my mind it would be that complex to do, and that rewarding, that you would need some protection guarantees if it was you that owned it - even if it was only for 1 or 2 days

Once a group controls that industry, they cant transfer it to another server, like all the permafixtures, it stays there. If they wanna control other industrys on other servers, meeeh i can see that would become an issue, but tbh i think it would be easier for a clan that was considering doing this to keep as many industrys on the same server.

So for example, it would be pointless server hoping for a garage, because the vehicles stay stuck in the server. IT would be pointless to server hop once your electric grid is up, because electricity can only be sent/used to areas on that server (not transferable across servers), the radio tower, the ac tower, they all effect and are effected by the server they are on, and not any other. Sooo tbh I think this would more likely bind larger groups to specific servers then force them to hop more often.

• Like 1

excellent point! i'm all for anything that promotes static servers tbh

• Like 1