While all of this seems like a good idea, I must say sadly, I do not think it will work. A bad bandit does not last long, and will end up dead to other players or even zeds. But the bandits that survive, they are the good bandits. They have not survived out of luck.they have survived out of skill. They have seen battle, combat and other people trying to kill them, and they have lived through it all.

Fighting fire with fire will not work.

Not to mention, how are we sure this is not just some plot by someone. What better way to establish dominance over aplace, than by having other people go and kill th troubling bandits for you, then taking it over in the name of the law.

It will become a never ending cycle, until as others have said, how will we tell the difference between bandits and regulators.

There are ways to wipe bandits out, but this is not the most effective. Plus, if non bandits try and unite against the bandits, what do you think the bandits will do? Stay as little splinter groups, or form up into a proper force and start to actively hit people.

The bandits that survive, tend to do so by not being near the coast (although not always). Regulator efforts are focused on protecting the coast. We recognize that shoot on sight is normal (to an extent) in places like Stary or NW Airfield. As such, while we'll kill you if you do those things, we won't necessarily hunt you for it. Instead, Regulators tend to be focused on by protecting fresh spawns down by the coast. One of our members records youtube videos, here is how Regulators operate:

While we will hunt bandits, and we will destroy their groups/camps, that isn't necessarily our primary goal. We're trying to spread hope -- even if it's just one person at a time -- that maybe some day there will be a decent chance of you surviving any given encounter with another player. As it stands, you're most likely to get shot if you're seen by another player. While we may not be able to affect change on that grand of a scale, we can at least help some people, and make things a little better.

Judge us by our merits... ask anyone who has met a Regulator if we treated them unfairly, or anything short of kind. We offer help at every turn, we offer protection to everyone (fresh spawn or loaded, whatever), we offer medical supplies, food, drink etc.

Again, we're not necessarily trying to wipe out bandits, we love bandits, they make the game awesome. Instead, we're trying to generate more interesting content for all parties involved (fresh spawns get to play with a slightly better chance of not getting shot in the face, bandits have an organized and well armed enemy, and Regulators get to have some really cool stories to share ;D).

Our goal isn't to change the world and destroy banditry, just to make it more fun for everyone.

atleast its not another post whining about bandits if they take out pvp the game would suk

Yeah, it's a common misunderstanding that the Regulators are anti-pvp because we want to oppose banditry. Quite the opposite, we're very pro-pvp, we love it, we just want to kill people worth killing and let the noobs have a chance at having a fun gaming experience.

acting like a bandit dick just because others are, or cos you can.. thats no way to be.

But loving it is a valid reason no?

Prime example, we usually hit cherno once a day with 4 people in camo for identification. Its like routine fun we do. We dont plan on killing anyone.. anyone without a weapon yells FRIENDLY FRIENDLY NOOOOO and we leave them be. However whenever they find a weapon.. suddenly we look like a thanksgiving dinner to them and they come after us full force... which is of course a death sentence.

Now I wonder, does that make me a bandit? Or does the fact that I enjoy killing everything with a pulse make me a bandit?

Either way. The people we give a chance usually get greedy and end up dead. To me personally I could care less. I hate banding up less competent people then the group I have now.. If they cant sense my every thought, action and move without me having to explain every goddamn detail.. I will end up shooting them out of frustration.

I am kind of intrigued at certain reactions because: I take joy in my playstyle, which means im playing the game correctly. Can my style really be called "wrong" ? ;)

Thats Lonewarrior0 a friend of mine IRL. We often play on DayZ working together.

My idea of the Regulators Code:

Primary:

Aid other survivors.

Secondary:

Strike back at Bandits who kill unarmed players.

Miscellaneous:

Scout and report significant Bandit Camps to either destroy or steal (I recently cleared out a stash near Electro of medical supplies and ate all the food they had).

Its certainly not a solution to the Bandit problem (if i think about it it will make even MORE of a deathmatch). But its all we got as of this moment its getting alittle out of hand.

Not so much bringing the Law back into the land but bringing back consequences for your negative actions! The Law will have to wait for the Courts to get back up and running...

Edit: For the above post.

Killing for fun as you say does not make you a Bandit it makes you a Murderous Bandit (the worst kind in the eyes of the Regulator). Its nice you leave people alone but what if they pick up a weapon (Lee Enfield for example) and then proceed to try and leave the city and stay away from you? Do you shoot him anyways just to be safe he isn't trying to get into a better position or leave him be?

The game is not a free for all its a Zombie Survival Mod. The correct way to play is to just survive. I can do this by sitting around a small town with a water pump and a water bottle, an axe, a knife, wood and a box of matches with enough respwaning pigs, chicken etc to last me. The concept of surviving the game is easy. The problem occurs when people get bored and just run off to get the best weapojns and hunt people for fun and thrills. In this case we are ALL playing the game wrong! But some embrace the community better then others.

I say your style is not wrong but that depends on if you ever kill for fun alone. If you kill for fun alone then your better playing COD as this game wasn't made for that mind. Do you get what i am saying here?

Edited by Grey Warden

Edit: For the above post.

Killing for fun as you say does not make you a Bandit it makes you a Murderous Bandit (the worst kind in the eyes of the Regulator). Its nice you leave people alone but what if they pick up a weapon (Lee Enfield for example) and then proceed to try and leave the city and stay away from you? Do you shoot him anyways just to be safe he isn't trying to get into a better position or leave him be?

The game is not a free for all its a Zombie Survival Mod. The correct way to play is to just survive. I can do this by sitting around a small town with a water pump and a water bottle, an axe, a knife, wood and a box of matches with enough respwaning pigs, chicken etc to last me. The concept of surviving the game is easy. The problem occurs when people get bored and just run off to get the best weapojns and hunt people for fun and thrills. In this case we are ALL playing the game wrong! But some embrace the community better then others.

I say your style is not wrong but that depends on if you ever kill for fun alone. If you kill for fun alone then your better playing COD as this game wasn't made for that mind. Do you get what i am saying here?

I get what you are saying.

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”

Get what what I'm saying here?

The operative word being armed. I could care less about people running in the opposite direction without the will to fight. But.... thats no longer how this game works is it? Greed and oppertunity. I am not interested in tag alongs, I am not interested in cherno loot. Which means any nub without a weapon i DO run across has ample oppertunity to get his stuff and get out without ever crossing my path. If you dont take that oppertunity I am sure you can agree you forfeit your chances no?

Also I would like to point out the moment people leave the coast and start heading for military pastures all bets are off all the time. No considerations. No Voice chat. Nothing. The only people I afford this luxury of surviving are the unarmed ones. The moment you pickup a weapon that you can shoot farther than you can throw(f for the noobs reading this :P) You best be on your way out of town if I'm still in it.

Even bandits afford courtesy to those without the weapons to fight. I take little pleasure in gunning down someone who comes after me in cherno. Although last night I did unintentionally kill 9 bandits in cherno. But thats long odds.(tagged people apparently they were hunting my little group they got 1 of us.)

Regardless. Unlike most bandits, unlike most survivors. I actively seek out firefights and I actively hunt people with gear. I randomly walk through cherno, elektro, berezino and I stay alive for weeks if not months.

My playstyle is conform to your demands and norms. How long do you survive?

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”

The operative word being armed. I could care less about people running in the opposite direction without the will to fight. But.... thats no longer how this game works is it? Greed and oppertunity. I am not interested in tag alongs, I am not interested in cherno loot. Which means any nub without a weapon i DO run across has ample oppertunity to get his stuff and get out without ever crossing my path. If you dont take that oppertunity I am sure you can agree you forfeit your chances no?

Also I would like to point out the moment people leave the coast and start heading for military pastures all bets are off all the time. No considerations. No Voice chat. Nothing. The only people I afford this luxury of surviving are the unarmed ones. The moment you pickup a weapon that you can shoot farther than you can throw(f for the noobs reading this :P) You best be on your way out of town if I'm still in it.

Even bandits afford courtesy to those without the weapons to fight. I take little pleasure in gunning down someone who comes after me in cherno. Although last night I did unintentionally kill 9 bandits in cherno. But thats long odds.(tagged people apparently they were hunting my little group they got 1 of us.)

Regardless. Unlike most bandits, unlike most survivors. I actively seek out firefights and I actively hunt people with gear. I randomly walk through cherno, elektro, berezino and I stay alive for weeks if not months.

Playing the Regulator style (before I joined) I survived for like 18-20 days at max. It was nearly as dangerous as your style, though I certainly didn't walk the streets (I'd sit on buildings).

Earlier, you posed the question, " take joy in my playstyle, which means im playing the game correctly.". I would answer that, first, games aren't necessarily there to maximize your fun. If that were the case, then hacking would be the "right" way to play -- no matter the moral concerns. Team killing would be the "right" way to play, because some people find it more fun. As you can see, you can't merely take fun into account when judging what is the right or wrong way to play. But that is not the point, I'm not going to say you're playing the wrong way (but rather, that you're wrong for playing that way, subtle but critical difference). Since you spare noobs, I'm at least a little more open to your position. However, you claim that bandits don't kill noobs, which is flat out incorrect. I've seen it dozens of times in game, I've watched dozens of videos about it, I've been killed while completely unarmed multiple times (I literally spawned yesterday, ran for a minute at Kamenka, got shot in the leg by a sniper, then ate by zombies), it goes on all the time.

While we may hunt you down for your play style, we can at least understand that you're seeking a challenge. So are we, we will be your challenge. The difference is, we don't want a challenge at the sake of killing another innocent player. We're not willing to let innocents get caught in the crossfire, that's the only difference. Did you watch those videos? Here's another one:

We actively camp on hot spots, but we don't do that which every other camper does -- oh no. We don't shoot survivors, we shoot the zombies chasing survivors. We shoot the bandits, the murderers, the trolls, chasing survivors and making their gaming experience a difficult one that is not fun for them. We love you guys, bandits, we think you're wrong from an ideological standpoint (maximizing fun is the best way to play), but we love you. We especially love killing you (not you specifically obviously, bandits in general), that's why we hunt you down. That's how we have our fun :P.

By the way, your quote sounds like how cannibals view eating other human beings, just for the record XD.

Edited by Brad_B

People people, no need to start arguing - every play style is valid (except hacking/cheating) just as long as the player is having fun. Some players loot and scavenge for a while and get bored, so they start actively looking for firefights to keep the game interesting (and that does really pump up your adrenaline). To me, this is TOTALLY ok. We are trying to start this movement for the very same reason - we were bored, fed up or unhappy with some aspects of the game and wanted to pose ourselves a question: Can you play to protect? It is for sure very very hard, especially when the people you are trying to help start shooting at you. My style is to stay hidden and use direct chat to give instructions if I see a player who is armed, something like this:

Me: Survivor! Do you need help? Are you hurt?

Survivor: *run*/*start looking around*/*remain quiet*

Me: Survivor. I could have killed you already, but I haven't. Do you need any assistance?

Survivor: (in rare cases) "I need food/blood/water etc"

Me: Ok. Switch to your secondary weapon and keep it pointed down. I will fire if you make a move.

After revealing myself, I usually try to stay behind them (harder than you think) and tell them that I will leave whatever they were asking on the ground. Then I bolt and tell them it's ok. It hasn't worked more than once so far, but that was an awesome experience, my heart was racing all the time (not to mention if there were others watching us) and I felt great after that. It's easier to do with a buddy, that's why Regulators are supposed to work in teams when they are "patrolling" while lone wolves like myself observe, countersnipe and look for bandit camps mostly.

Anyway...I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is no judgement here on the forums about anybody's play style and never will be from my part. If I spot you on a rooftop shooting at random people, I'll zero my rifle and pop you if I can. In that way, you'll have an amazing experience of "I shot this guy and got killed right away! WTF?" and we all come out with a smile on our faces :D

-O

By the way, your quote sounds like how cannibals view eating other human beings, just for the record XD.

Hemmingway would roll over in his sleep!

People people, no need to start arguing - every play style is valid (except hacking/cheating) just as long as the player is having fun.

No arguing here! Just honest and open dialogue!

Apologies I missed out a very important word out of my previous post "Even bandits CAN afford courtesy to those without the weapons to fight." I wasnt claiming all bandits, it was actually a typo.

As stated without me there would be no need for people like you to exist but people like me.. and those that are less "principled" can exist in perfect harmony of endless violence without your kind just fine.

Those claiming I should "go back to COD!" obviously never played Arma2 before DayZ.

There is one more thing you contradicted. First of all you claimed that I would find "cheating/hacking" fun as it would MAXIMIZE it. Does this mean you take great joy in it? Cause I find it a waste of my time. Unless I would be in a truly destructive mood then maybe the idea of cheating might cross my mind. But would it cause me pleasure? Probably not. Just momentary sated joy as I rob others of their joy. Having played games for the last 2 decades I can promise you. Cheating is a waste of time in my eyes.

But I cant fault the current "Lazy, trolling, drama" generation of today for having the mentality of "If I have to work for it I may aswell abuse it"

The honor system is dead.

Anyway Good times conversing with you lads! I hope to see you camping my cherno someday!

Edited by core.-

Hemmingway would roll over in his sleep!

No arguing here! Just honest and open dialogue!

Apologies I missed out a very important word out of my previous post "Even bandits CAN afford courtesy to those without the weapons to fight." I wasnt claiming all bandits, it was actually a typo.

As stated without me there would be no need for people like you to exist but people like me.. and those that are less "principled" can exist in perfect harmony of endless violence without your kind just fine.

Those claiming I should "go back to COD!" obviously never played Arma2 before DayZ.

There is one more thing you contradicted. First of all you claimed that I would find "cheating/hacking" fun as it would MAXIMIZE it. Does this mean you take great joy in it? Cause I find it a waste of my time. Unless I would be in a truly destructive mood then maybe the idea of cheating might cross my mind. But would it cause me pleasure? Probably not. Just momentary sated joy as I rob others of their joy. Having played games for the last 2 decades I can promise you. Cheating is a waste of time in my eyes.

But I cant fault the current "Lazy, trolling, drama" generation of today for having the mentality of "If I have to work for it I may aswell abuse it"

The honor system is dead.

Anyway Good times conversing with you lads! I hope to see you camping my cherno someday!

I wasn't claiming that *you* enjoy hacking, but rather that other people find maximized fun in hacking. And thus, by the principle of "the right way to play games it have the most fun" you would be forced to admit that hacking is a perfectly acceptable action.

If you see* my posts as hostile, don't. I love that this game has bandits, that's what makes this game great. Without them, this game would be nothing. I just think that banditry is a little too common, and senseless cruelty is just a little be mean.

Edited by Brad_B

I wasn't claiming that *you* enjoy hacking, but rather that other people find maximized fun in hacking. And thus, by the principle of "the right way to play games it have the most fun" you would be forced to admit that hacking is a perfectly acceptable action.

If you too my posts as hostile, don't. I love that this game has bandits, that's what makes this game great. Without them, this game would be nothing. I just think that banditry is a little too common, and senseless cruelty is just a little be mean.

Was a bandit before the surge, will be a bandit after the surge.

You can claim it was our fault everyones twitchy... but I believe it has more to do with youtube fame and stardom. Fear and paranoia dont help and FINALLY the bandits taking you out after you worked hours in carefully looting cherno.

We were the last straw but when other players realized how much easier it is to take gear from other players then it is to scavenge for hours.. guess what happened?

I will say it one more time.If your aim is to survive... thats dead easy. If your aim is get geared and survive... prepare to fight for it. The more gear you get the more christmastree-y you begin to look.

Its a vicious circle anyway. There werent that many of us bandits in the beginning anyway and over 30% werent even bandits just self defense kills. It was the guys that metagamed, infiltrated and annihiliated veteran players and their camps sending them back to the coast. These veterans can run the streets of cherno with ease and eliminate everyone and loot at their leisure. This made the new players angry, and all the new blood and publicity joins in a time of war.

These new players are BRED in a time of war. And because they are literally born that way they naturally become that way.

Anyway. I am sure theres goodness in everyones hearts.. blabla but this is the way I build sandcastles. You can can build them in your own way. Theres 224km2 left for you to play in. :D <3

I used to survive some 1-2 days (if lucky) and at the moment i am on my longest survival (i think 3-4 days). The way i have survived is through staying away from the high loot areas and always being in cover. I have my Matches, nife, Axe and Revolver,, Lee Enfield so far with 3 water bottles, several cooked meat and some morphine that i stole from someones tent near Elektro (after considering the shots i heard to be too dangerous for a pass into the hospital so was a nice surprise, sorry if it was anyones but you seemed well equiped from the sounds i heard and i didn't touch your guns like the MP5 or the CZ scoped rifle).

I take what i need and simply stay away from anywhere that would be too obvious to loot. I am not greedy and feel i don't NEED the high end gear of the Airfields. I am a Regulator so people can know to trust me when i type in direct chat to prove my name to them.

I get what your saying, you want to challenge yourself and the best way to do that is not target practise some noobs in Cherno but by hunting down similar thinking and similar geared people. All i have to say is "to each his own". As long as you don't kill unarmed people i don't mind.

Anyway. I am sure theres goodness in everyones hearts.. blabla but this is the way I build sandcastles. You can can build them in your own way. Theres 224km2 left for you to play in. :D <3

We deem your sand castles as "not cool man", so we're coming for your sand castles >:o.

To reiterate, we don't have any problem with bandits from a gameplay perspective. We just have a problem with the over saturation of bandits. It's scaring away some players, and not letting others experience Day Z the way a lot of others did (when it was better, IMO).

Quite honestly, just surviving is not fun, and it's not easy. I'd be fine just surviving, if I could just survive near Elektro, but that's not possible. I'll get shot by snipers, axed by recent spawns, gunned down by random bandits, or shot because it's the only safe option. Basically, in order for someone to just survive, they have to hit the towns that no one goes to. That's not fun for virtually anyone, I liked the fact that when I first played, survival was getting together with other players and fending off murderers. Now it's getting away from other players because they far too often murderers.

But I don't want to whine about that, I want to make the game more fun for everyone. As such, I'm going to hunt you, I'm going to hunt people like you, I'm going to stop murderers from killing players, and I'm going to provide assistance wherever possible. I'm not doing this because I hate you or your playstyle, I'm doing this because it will make the game funner for everyone, even if it's all on a small scale.

All right, let's get this topic back on track...for those who don't want to read all of the 140 posts, here's the idea in a nutshell:

The Regulators are a very loosely-formed "clan" of players. We have no membership requirements, no massive command structures or bases to protect. We're all individuals who have seen this game degenerate into trigger-happy mayhem (probably because it's an easy way to make your game enjoyable, albeit with a cost to other people's fun) so we've decided to pledge ourselves to patrol or areas, do our best to protect and help other players, push out player killers from the coasts and strike at bandit camps in the north.

This topic is currently our introduction to the game and our main recruitment channel. If you are interested in hearing more, PM me or visit our forums at: http://regulators.fr...s.org/index.php

Thanks,

-O

Edited by Oldtribe

Well, this went downhill slightly fast.

The thread certainly did. The Regulators however, are still growing very fast, everything is actually coming together quite nicely.

While all of this seems like a good idea, I must say sadly, I do not think it will work. A bad bandit does not last long, and will end up dead to other players or even zeds. But the bandits that survive, they are the good bandits. They have not survived out of luck.they have survived out of skill. They have seen battle, combat and other people trying to kill them, and they have lived through it all.

Fighting fire with fire will not work.

Not to mention, how are we sure this is not just some plot by someone. What better way to establish dominance over aplace, than by having other people go and kill th troubling bandits for you, then taking it over in the name of the law.

It will become a never ending cycle, until as others have said, how will we tell the difference between bandits and regulators.

There are ways to wipe bandits out, but this is not the most effective. Plus, if non bandits try and unite against the bandits, what do you think the bandits will do? Stay as little splinter groups, or form up into a proper force and start to actively hit people.

You either die a regulator, or watch as you become a bandit. Aha, i'm just messing. Anyways most of the regulators have a name next to them so you ca n distinguish them, also they will ever shoot you first. Regulators don't fire first meaning we are not a military force. WE however will shoot people if they do attack us first. Also killing bandits is always helpful because then it lets beginners and other players have a joyful time. A lot of people hate bandits, so mas-well get rid of them well you can. Also same with regulators, the regulators that survive are going to be strong to. The only difference is if we end up finding bandits, we have a much bigger force to use. At least I would hope.

@blockheads

Yeah, it seems to me that this just makes it more enjoyable for everyone. It's not like we hate bandits and want them gone, we just want a force that can combat them on a moderately decent scale.

I've more or less been doing this in on of the CA(nada) servers. grabbing me an L85 and stealthing around the woods waiting for some gunfire to go off. Most of the snipers there are piss poor shots so I usually get a long enough time to narrow em down.

Aeoneth - I know what you mean...especially those Elektro hills, some poor bastard always thinks that spot behind the power station is so good until it's too late :D

Wanna join the cause?

-O

Just an update on what this topic had achieved so far:

- The Regulators have gathered 120 registered members (and approximately a couple of dozen unregistered lone wolves).

- Our forums at http://regulators.fr...s.org/index.php have almost 2000 posts so far.

- We've spread to the US, the EU and Asia and are running internal supply networks and medical services for our members as well as survivors we come across.

- In the process of our patrols, we've helped over a hundred players and killed about double that amount of bandits and murderers

- We discovered and destroyed dozens of camps, including hacker tent cities with 20 of each weapon (+G36s etc hacked weapons) to remove these PvP guns stockpiles out of the game, potentially saving hundreds of lives more by extension.

- Our enemies have tried to infiltrate us and set us up for ambushes, sometimes successfully, sometimes not - we learn from every encounter and share the knowledge.

- We've collected information on hackers, clans and servers that are considered dangerous.

- We've become targeted by hackers who are worried about our growing influence

- We have created a custom Regulator face for our members, our own TS channel and a Steam group

- And finally, and most importantly, we have not shot any innocent people in our month of existence. With a hundred players clocking in around 3-5 hours per day, that's about 10-15,000 hours of protective gameplay where no innocents or fresh respawns were shot by a large group of people believing in the ideal that one good deed deserves another.

I am very proud of everybody in our movement and want to congratulate you: The path you have chosen is the harder one and you've walked it with your heads held high. You have my deepest respect, Regulators.

-O

Edited by *Regulator* Oldtribe
  • Like 3