ruarz

Suggestions for the DayZ standalone - thinking outside of the limitations of an Arma 2 mod.

This has been confirmed methinks.

About the fishing rods, it'd be neat if we could craft them. Fishing nets would work too. I'd love to chill out on the docks of Kemenka and fish for a meal. :)

I'm pretty sure rivers and creeks will be added to the SA as well.

Indeed, you could craft certain ones or loot them, with looted ones generally being better quality.

I'd personally like different kinds of bait, rods and jigs be better for certain things.

The link is kinda what ill talk about but start at 14:49 i think and you'll see the reason why i have suggested a marker system for people on your friends list. Some reason i keep getting shot down but i thought it made up for how i can know someone facing away by their shape and hair color but in games you can't spot someone familiar as well.

apologies for ideas/suggestions that have most probably been thought of and written before this post, i don't have the time or patience to read through all of them :).

im just going to outline a few of my main ideas:

vehicles:

- primarily there should be more of them on the map. i understand people's concerns of more vehicles seeing as the map is not overly massive (still the chernaurus map) but wouldn't it be awesome setting up ambushes or seeing another vehicle and have a high speed pursuit? however parts should be much rarer, being found only in some industrial building (rare) and commercial garages, not residential ones (higher chance). also fuel would obviously be much harder to come by than in the dayz mod. not saying there should be a limited amount as that would again decrease amount of vehicles actually used but to make only a few places able to get fuel from, like fuel depots, and some military encampments, or upturned fuel tankers, as well as being able to siphon fuel out of un burnt car wrecks (with the correct equipment).

- cars should also be customize-able you should be able to add racks to the roof of your cars to increase there carrying capacity. also cars carrying more objects would slow you're car down, as added weight would slow it down. and when you reach 50 objects inside a car you can keep adding but substitute a car seat for every 10 items say? you could also add scrap metal and other objects to the exterior of your car to make eg a shovel thing on front of your car ( like in Zombieland :D , awesome movie ) and grills on your window, again substituting speed for added protection. could also put in a big fuel tank in stead of back seats for extra mileage?

- kind of an incentive to bulk up your car against zombies is to have vehicles both take damage form zombies when stationary (when your in them) and when you plow into/through them. maybe with hull and wheels taking damage, and a small percentage of your engine cutting out from zombie parts clogging it up. this would make people a lot more cautious about driving into towns and hoards knowing they could end up stranded surrounded by a tonne of zombies. and not using vehicles as an easy way to clear out zombies from an area.

bases:

- despite the idea of subterranean bases i would much rather bases be above ground. for instance it would be much better to have a gate and be able to park your car inside your base instead of having to hide your car under a camo net next to a tree. and this would also allow you to have such things as watchtowers and make other cool additions to your base.

- base parts should be relatively hard to come by and unless small like the tools eg hammer and nails would have to be transported by a vehicle (you would not see someone running around with 20 wooden chipboards on their back? :) ).

- there should only be a certain number of bases per server ( like 10 ) to stop the server having a ridiculous amount and not being able to walk 1km before seeing one. also they should only be buildable in certain sections of the map. mainly the black forest (probs would be very popular), the fields south of vybor, and the forests covering the west and north of the map, as well as not being allowed to be built closer than say 2km form settlements and other bases.

- bases should not be enterable by other players (i no not very realistic but they would be really easy to find and subsequently loot). however they could be attacked by zombies, any zombies within sight line of it would wander over an investigate, and if anyone is inside at the time the zombie would attack the base, would take a long time for zombie to break in, maybe an hour? so if a hoard sees your base and your in it ....... If a zombie attacks it will not stop until it is in even if you disconnect, forcing you to deal with it. and if zombies break in and you do not repair your base within the day the base becomes open to everyone for a week, a derelict base (you can retrieve your stuff and such but so can other players).

- and to stop servers having pointless bases you must have at least one other person to make a base and everyone is only allowed one base each(shared), so that there are still servers where people who haven't bought the game straightway can build in. possibly could have 1 man bases but have to be small, so the more people you have the bigger your base can become.

i have other ideas but only wrote about ideas i really want to see in the standalone and im not sure have been posted about :D hope these have or will be implemented into it!

Actually the map may still be the same but they said they expanding and possibly adding big islands to the side

Indeed, you could craft certain ones or loot them, with looted ones generally being better quality.

I'd personally like different kinds of bait, rods and jigs be better for certain things.

Same but i hate the danger. I would like a cage with a rope and bait that i tie to land by something and it will catch a fish or two for me while im home. Can be stolen of course.

I don't really think that the outside of a zoom scope should be blurred, because the eye won't be focused on it unless you want to look outside of the scope. Seems realistic enough without the blur.

But more importantly, I love this one guy on the first page:

I'm sure this thread will survive until the game becomes stand alone.

As soon as people stop making stupid suggestions, and this cesspool of a forum gets cleaned up, I'll give it a rest.

Oh, yeah. Crafting was a totally on-point suggestion.

Some people are just so thick. I don't know how the majority of you guys made it to adulthood without jamming a butter knife into an electrical outlet.

Good job everyone, for proving this guy wrong. Proud of you guys <3

• Like 1

apologies for ideas/suggestions that have most probably been thought of and written before this post, i don't have the time or patience to read through all of them :).

im just going to outline a few of my main ideas:

vehicles:

- primarily there should be more of them on the map. i understand people's concerns of more vehicles seeing as the map is not overly massive (still the chernaurus map) but wouldn't it be awesome setting up ambushes or seeing another vehicle and have a high speed pursuit? however parts should be much rarer, being found only in some industrial building (rare) and commercial garages, not residential ones (higher chance). also fuel would obviously be much harder to come by than in the dayz mod. not saying there should be a limited amount as that would again decrease amount of vehicles actually used but to make only a few places able to get fuel from, like fuel depots, and some military encampments, or upturned fuel tankers, as well as being able to siphon fuel out of un burnt car wrecks (with the correct equipment).

- cars should also be customize-able you should be able to add racks to the roof of your cars to increase there carrying capacity. also cars carrying more objects would slow you're car down, as added weight would slow it down. and when you reach 50 objects inside a car you can keep adding but substitute a car seat for every 10 items say? you could also add scrap metal and other objects to the exterior of your car to make eg a shovel thing on front of your car ( like in Zombieland :D , awesome movie ) and grills on your window, again substituting speed for added protection. could also put in a big fuel tank in stead of back seats for extra mileage?

- kind of an incentive to bulk up your car against zombies is to have vehicles both take damage form zombies when stationary (when your in them) and when you plow into/through them. maybe with hull and wheels taking damage, and a small percentage of your engine cutting out from zombie parts clogging it up. this would make people a lot more cautious about driving into towns and hoards knowing they could end up stranded surrounded by a tonne of zombies. and not using vehicles as an easy way to clear out zombies from an area.

bases:

- despite the idea of subterranean bases i would much rather bases be above ground. for instance it would be much better to have a gate and be able to park your car inside your base instead of having to hide your car under a camo net next to a tree. and this would also allow you to have such things as watchtowers and make other cool additions to your base.

- base parts should be relatively hard to come by and unless small like the tools eg hammer and nails would have to be transported by a vehicle (you would not see someone running around with 20 wooden chipboards on their back? :) ).

- there should only be a certain number of bases per server ( like 10 ) to stop the server having a ridiculous amount and not being able to walk 1km before seeing one. also they should only be buildable in certain sections of the map. mainly the black forest (probs would be very popular), the fields south of vybor, and the forests covering the west and north of the map, as well as not being allowed to be built closer than say 2km form settlements and other bases.

- bases should not be enterable by other players (i no not very realistic but they would be really easy to find and subsequently loot). however they could be attacked by zombies, any zombies within sight line of it would wander over an investigate, and if anyone is inside at the time the zombie would attack the base, would take a long time for zombie to break in, maybe an hour? so if a hoard sees your base and your in it ....... If a zombie attacks it will not stop until it is in even if you disconnect, forcing you to deal with it. and if zombies break in and you do not repair your base within the day the base becomes open to everyone for a week, a derelict base (you can retrieve your stuff and such but so can other players).

- and to stop servers having pointless bases you must have at least one other person to make a base and everyone is only allowed one base each(shared), so that there are still servers where people who haven't bought the game straightway can build in. possibly could have 1 man bases but have to be small, so the more people you have the bigger your base can become.

i have other ideas but only wrote about ideas i really want to see in the standalone and im not sure have been posted about :D hope these have or will be implemented into it!

Actually in announcement it was said there will be tunnel system. He shuddered and mumbled something about players possibly making them and having underground bases. I believe it was said it might happen in a different instance though to keep the above ground more clean.

A makeshift flamethrower! Or an M-2 flamethrower from the eastern front etc... It would be a very cool change to things :) mostly found at mass graves and checkpoints with burnt out cars? Also with the makeshift flamethrower I would suggest something along the lines of the Killing Floor flamethrower except with a 5L Fuel can jury rigged to the fuel port, (Maybe made out of fueltank parts and a few other things like a lighter.

Revolvers !! anything from the original single action nagants [double actions were availible, originally russian army issue] to the humble .38 and 22lr target pistols up to the bigger 357 and 44 magnums. If making 357 or 44 mag revolvers then implement 38 or 44 special ammo which deals slightly less damage but less recoil. Everything you can think of in regards to revolvers.

Non-semi auto rifles. pump actions, lever actions [wild west much], bolt actions in every different caliber and makes imaginable. Shotguns included in this suggestion. In every caliber possible from 22lr up to 458 win mag [and any in between] with calibers making all the difference in a way.

weapon modding - wanna cut down that 870? or put a stock on that peacemaker? why? for teh lulz [and increased manuverability/ accuracy]. Cut down that double barrel [should be able to be equiped as a secondary if shortened enough] and breach that locked door, put a thermal scope on a lee enfield all you need is a tool box.

More vehicles, everything from com-bloc era Ladas [and older] to the current day Family cars, 4x4s and higher performance models. Modding of them too with higher performance parts and better suspension.

Use a flashlight along with a weapon without the need for it to be mounted, [ductape if it is needed on a rifle?]

Also it doesn't need to be practical if you can use it well and you think it is cool!

*starts dreaming of the day he could carry a 44 magnum/BHP, a high quality lever action and cruise around with a M14AIM & Mossy590 in the boot of his modded up car ingame*

Edited by Dchil

Oh, yeah. Crafting was a totally on-point suggestion.

Some people are just so thick. I don't know how the majority of you guys made it to adulthood without jamming a butter knife into an electrical outlet.

Here's an idea brutha. Explain why you hate the idea, be polite, accept the opinion of other people, GTFO the forums.

I must add the importance on fixing the zombie pathfinding, as well as their movement speeds, and animations.  We all know how glitchy they are currently, going from 0-60 instantly jerking around running in zig zags that change direction instantly, only to hit you through a wall or from 10m away.  

After the zombie movement and animations is dialed in, they should be made horrifying and a real threat.  I want to be walking through the woods almost as scared as I was playing slenderman the 8 pages, really terrified I might run into the infected.  Zombie sounds should be reworked, damage increased, new models, maybe a chance of them grabbing you, anything to take them from being a nuisance to a horrifying threat.  

After all, it is a zombie apocalypse game, best to put a lot of effort into having really good zombies.

• Like 1

I am soooooooo afraid bases will be an ACTUAL part of DayZ SA. I believe that this wpuld require a much larger map and more player availability, which in turn requires better anti-"hack" software. None of which seems to feasible.

Edited by RedTailedLizerd

So good to see so many of these suggestions make their way into the actual release!

Also added a new section about ramping up the gun mechanics.

woah just found this thread and its like holy grail ;)

If I get time over the next few days, I'll reorganize this thread, delete the redundant bits, fine tune some suggestions and maybe add a couple more. Then I'll either ask a mod to move it over to the standalone suggestion section or just do a fresh post. Might put the link up on reddit. Don't really wanna lose all dem views though, thats what brang most of the traffic over here :)

This is a compilation thread of the best suggestions and most requested features on the forum. It has been continually updated, expanded and edited as the result of over a year of community brainstorming, as endorsed by Rocket:

• Spoilers have been used to tidy and organise the thread.
  • Headings are in red.
  • Sub-headings are in dark red.
  • Gameplay features and mechanics are announced in bold.

-ORIGINAL POST SUGGESTIONS-

-A REVISED INVENTORY SYSTEM-

• More weight contributes to the rate you fatigue and slows your movement.
  • The inventory system should take shape, size and volume into account.
  • The inventory system should work by a folder-like system. Everything is set out in a series of "containers".
  • The largest containers in your inventory are what you wear. For example your backpack, your pockets and pouches on your assault vest.
  • Other containers such as first aid kits might fit inside your backpack. Inside these you may have individual items.
  • Other things like toolboxes might hold inside them several tools. If you stumble across a toolbox and dont have space for the whole thing you might cherry pick a select few items.
  • Magazines would work like containers. Individual bullets are items. Magazines only hold bullets for which they are designed to take. This would allow you much greater freedom in managing ammo and magazines, which is one of the biggest gripes at the moment amongst Day-Z players, and provide much greater realism. It would present new challenges and new dilemmas to the player and add more variation in finding loot. For example you might find a box of hollow-points and a box of armour piercing rounds, but you only have one magazine. Are you going to be coming up against armoured enemies or not? Do you load the hollow points or the AP rounds, or even alternate them throughout the magazine?
  • Containers should hold liquids. A 20 litre jerry can could be filled with water or petrol, with which you could either fill 20 water bottles, or 20 molotov cocktails respectively. Should you have two vehicles and only one jerry can of fuel, you could use this mechanic to put 10 litres in each.

I knocked up a few screens, more to come, but here's some annotated and an un-annoated screenshots of the ideal inventory. This is a rough concept design. Obviously Rocket and the Day-Z team would do a far more polished job.

INVENTORY OVERVIEW

Inv.jpg

Invnumbered.jpg

• The Equip Area. Used for equipping items. Complete with a full interactive 3d render of your character. (Here masterfully represented by a crappy 2d silhouette :P)
  • Head Equip. Used for putting on helmets and hoods.
  • Face Equip. Used for putting on masks.
  • Neck Equip. Used for equipping dog tags or objects with lanyards.
  • Torso [Over] Equip. Used for equipping an exterior layer. Jackets and coats.
  • Torso [under] Equip. Used for equipping an interior layer. Shirts and under-armour.
  • Back Equip. Used for equipping rucksacks and bags.
  • Chest Equip. Used for equipping assault vests and webbing.
  • Waist Equip. Used for equpping ammo belts, belts and holsters.
  • Legs Equip. Used for equipping trousers.
  • Feet Equip. Used for equipping boots and shoes.
  • Additional Equip 1. Here we can see the character has a DMR in his arms.
  • Additional Equip 2. Here the character is wearing a watch.
  • Additional Equip 3. Because the character uses a holster he has a pistol slot.
  • Additional Equip 4,5 and 6. Other items with straps and slings can be equipped here.
  • Combine Items. A placeholder for a combine items/crafting mechanic.
  • Selected Container/Backpack. The player has selected his backpack (notice the "pressed button" effect). Below all the items in the backpack and space available is shown. The backpack holds the most equipment although it takes considerably longer to access items in the backpack compared to webbing and pockets.
  • Other container/Webbing. Ideal for holding ammo.
  • Other containers. Here we see containers in the form of clothing pockets. These hold far less items but are the quickest to access. To the right is an arrow icon to scroll additional containers, such as a holster. Further right is the total carry weight. Higher weight slows and fatigues your character.
  • The Main Inventory Area. Different containers have a different number of slots in different grid layouts. Should they not fit on the screen a scroll bar will appear. Items can be dragged between different containers.
  • The expand icon. Smaller containers such as cans and magazines can be expanded further. Inside magazines we see the individual rounds. Inside a can of beans there may be four small portions.
  • The Item List. Should they not fit on the screen a scroll bar will appear.
  • The Item Description area. Here we see an AKM, its variant, a short description, its state (here loaded with an AKM mag and 17 rounds), and its weight (and added weight of magazine and ammunition).

POCKETS + BINDING MECHANIC

inv3.jpg

inv3numbered.jpg

• The watch is now bound to O. Right clicking on an item gives the option to bind it. O is the default key for Watch items.
  • The combat jacket is now selected. It has four large pockets and two small pockets, holding 80 slots in total.
  • The compass is now bound to K (default)
  • Notice the box of matches can be expanded.
  • The bandages are now bound to H (default)
  • The binoculars are now bound to B (default)
  • The map is now bound to M (default)
  • Notice the 6 individual pockets. The large pockets cannot hold items bigger than 4x4 and the small pockets cannot hold items bigger than 2x4, however between them they provide decent space for small items.

-A CUSTOM MAP/LOCATION PICTURES-

UPDATE: We now know that the DayZ standalone will take place in a revised map of Chernarus.

I don't think the Arma 3 Limnos setting is what people are after. It's too tropical and I'm not sure an island would fit the narrative. The criterea should be:

• Variable weather.
  • At least 300km2
  • A mixture of countryside and urban environment.
  • A mixture of forests and fields.
  • Some variation in altitude/relief.
  • A coast or at least a large river system.
  • At least one airport.
  • Some military installations.
  • The map should be apocalypsified. Yes you can add that to the dictionary :) Because the map is from Arma 2, Cherarus at the moment is still too well preserved. There should be more ruined buildings, more dead bodies, more wrecks, and generally more evidence that the world has just been turned upside down. The area should be in decay. Perhaps some signs of a failed government fightback against the infected like dead soldiers in hazmat gear. Or evidence that they tried to cover the outbreak up?

Three areas come to mind (pictures in spoilers):

• The most likely and the best map for the standalone would take the form of an ex-Warsaw Pact Eastern European setting, much like Chernarus. Possibly a fictional setting, possibly not. Somewhere like Belarus or Ukraine would be ideal. The absolute best possible option would be an expanded, revised, updated, resized Chernarus, possibly even with Utes off its coast.

ulgov7912Ulyanovskpreview.jpg

this-is-what-pripyat-is-today-after-the-

taiga_siberia_shutterstock_q_11394.jpg

prypiat-ukraine-abandoned-city.jpg

FortKlepak.jpg

boreal-forest-arctic-circle-701234-ga.jp

A158-00118_Derelict_buildings_Odessa_Ukr

_52_20090408_1395685189.jpg

1.jpg

155775165.jpg

369978249_949a0a4158.jpg

• The Georgia/Carolina countryside in the U.S.A. The AMC series the Walking Dead is set around the city of Atlanta in Georgia.

walkingdead03.jpg

The_Highway_2.jpg

news-leader_gigantic_home_attracts_notic

Andrew-Lincoln-Norman-Reedus-IronE-Singl

Afterthezombieattack.jpg

5523026092_68a78f143f.jpg

• The countryside of the United Kingdom. Think 28 Days Later.

article-2116930-0555CF2C0000044D-646_468

tumblr_laypbcow7q1qzzh6g.jpg

Fog-in-the-countryside-001.jpg

DSC_0419.jpg

28weekslaterpic4.jpg

28weekslater460.jpg

28-Weeks-Later.jpg

28-days-later-empty-street-small.jpg

-LOOT-

• Loot in buildings should not only be found lying around on the floor but in containers, such as lockers, closets, cabinets, drawers, chests and crates. Dead bodies inside buildings may yield some loot.
  • Every building should be enterable, like they will be in Arma 3. Because of this, there will be many more possible loot points. To compensate for this loot respawn times can be dramatically reduced, making the practice of "loot farming" or "loot piling" less viable, and adding to realism.
  • Loot should be found in cars and car wrecks. You can check inside the car, the boot/trunk, the glove-box and any dead bodies that may be inside the car.
  • Dead bodies across the map should yield loot.
  • Loot should spawn in appropriate areas, for example military gear in military areas. There should however, be rare exceptions to this rule to keep it interesting.
  • There should not only be military helicopter crash sites, but lower level military road-blocks and other vehicle wrecks, amongst many more random encounters.
  • There needs to be a far wider variety of loot and items. Currently all the items in Day-Z are purely survival orientated. Alongside more of these items there should also be junk items to keep the experience authentic. Junk items may be required for combining/crafting.

-A REVISED HEALTH, STATUS & WOUNDING SYSTEM-

I've had a lot of feedback on this saying the system is great but too detailed. This section is undergoing heavy editing.

So far several fracture types and malaria, cholera and dysentery have been confirmed to feature in the standalone. Players will spread sickness and disease.There will be "bad food" and "good food".

HEALTH, BLOOD AND WAYS TO DIE

• Because there will be many ways to die that do not necessitate blood loss, blood cannot be the sole measure of health. Blood loss however, will directly affect health and may kill your character.

• If health and blood are lowered, they will regenerate over time. Maintaining good energy levels (from eating) will speed the process. Health can be improved by the curing of ailments which are affecting health, such as an infection. Additionally, lost blood can be replaced by the use of blood bags.

• You have vital organs (e.g. brain, heart, lungs) which can lead to death if they fail or are damaged or destroyed.

• Your character relies on oxygen to breathe. Running out of oxygen will lead to unconsciousness and death. Causes of this may be drowning or destroyed lungs.

• Extremely severe wounds such as damaged lungs, deep cuts and broken bones will only be curable by surgery and cannot be dealt with out in the field. This means it will be the responsibility of teammates to get the heavily wounded to safety. Alternatively they might sacrifice them to the horde to buy the others precious seconds to escape.

ENERGY AND FATIGUE

• A fatigue system should be introduced, revolving around energy and physical fatigue.

Your maximum energy is determined by food. Your current energy is determined by a balance between exertion and rest.

• Maintaining a decent level of energy will mean damage to your health will heal faster.
  • Physical fatigue is a reflection of the pain and duress you are under and how this affects your capability to operate affectively. It is affected by pain and the weight you are carrying.
  • Fatigue will affect your aim, speed of movement and capability to sprint. If you are extremely fatigued it will affect the responsiveness of the mouse and your character may collapse.

VITAL ORGANS

Brain

If the brain is destroyed, instant death will follow (Headshots)

Heart

If the heart is destroyed, death will rapidly follow. Low blood or lack of oxygen (drowning, destroyed lungs) will cause the heart to stop. CPR or Defibrilation may keep the casualty alive.

Lungs

If the lungs are destroyed, you will begin to suffocate and the heart will stop. Damaged lungs will impair breathing and can only be healed through surgery.

Circulatory system

Heavy damage to the neck will cause rapid bleeding and most likely death.

HEALTH EFFECTS/INDICATORS

Unconsciousness

While your character is unconscious they are completely inactive and totally vulnerable. Unconscious or wounded casualties may be dragged to safety.

Pain

Causes shaking of the screen, some sound effects like the "fuck, that hurts" like we already see in Arma, and adds to physical fatigue (mentioned above). Stronger pain causes more shaking and has a greater effect on physical fatigue. Can cause rapid breathing.

Coughing

Causes shaking of the screen, and cough sound effects.

Breathing

Heavy or rapid breathing is a symptom of exertion or having held your breath, either underwater or whilst aiming. It causes a slight sway in screen movement or the swaying of weapon sights and appropriate sound effects. Notice currently how if you've just run in Day-Z your aim is erratic. If you are underwater for too long you will begin to drown. Breathing may be rapid or erratic if you are in fear, in shock, in pain or suffering from a severe infection. Breathing produces sound effects.

Dehydration.

Your physical fatigue will increase and health will deteriorate.

Hunger

Your physical fatigue will increase and health will deteriorate. Not eating is likely to mean a deficit of energy, which is needed for movement and actions.

Lethargy

Slower movement and responsiveness from the mouse. Can be caused by physical fatigue or infection.

Bleeding

Bleeding causes you to lose blood. Loss of blood will reduce your health and may affect your heart.

Loss of limbs.

You can no longer use that limb. Pretty much game over for any survivor. Of course very few people will try to continue playing for very long without a limb but it may give them the opportunity to make a heroic last stand against the horde.

Loss of use of limbs

Injury, breakages, or infection may cause temporary impairment or total loss of use of a limb.

Shock

Can be caused by extremely severe pain, wounding or infection. Proximity to other players gruesome deaths, explosions or gunfire may induce a weaker form of shock. Not yet decided what shock will actually do.

MEDICAL ITEMS

Pills

Common. Found everywhere. Can be used readily. Used to treat mild infections.

Antibiotics/Intravenous

Uncommon. Found in ambulances and hospitals. Medical bay or ambulance required. Used to treat more severe infections.

Oxygen

Uncommon. Found in larger first aid kits, ambulances and hospitals. Deployed via an oxygen mask. Friendly player required for use. Used to promote breathing.

Bandage

Common. Found everywhere. Can be used readily. Used to stop mild to moderate bleeding and cover wounds.

Tourniquet

Uncommon. Found in larger first aid kits, ambulances and hospitals. Can be used readily. Used to stop moderate to heavy bleeding.

Painkillers

Common. Found everywhere. Can be used readily. Used to ease mild to moderate pain.

Morphine

Uncommon. Found in larger first aid kits, ambulances and hospitals. Deployed via auto-injector. Used to ease moderate to heavy pain.

Ointment

Uncommon. Found in larger first aid kits, ambulances and hospitals. Can be used readily. Used to ease pain from burns and quicken healing.

Burn Dressing

Uncommon. Found in larger first aid kits, ambulances and hospitals. Can be used readily. Used to cover burns and quicken healing.

Splint

Uncommon. Found in larger first aid kits, ambulances and hospitals. Friendly player required for use. Used to treat broken limbs.

Knife

Common. Found everywhere. Used to remove bullets and conduct surgery. High chance of extra bleeding and infection. Primary function is a melee weapon.

Surgical Scalpel

Rare. Found in ambulances and hospitals. Used to remove bullets and conduct surgery. Chance of extra bleeding when removing bullets. Doubles as a (poor) melee weapon.

Surgical Tongs

Very Rare. Found in hospitals. The best way to remove bullets.

Saw

Common. Found everywhere. Used to amputate limbs. High chance of extra bleeding and further infection. Doubles as a (poor) melee weapon

Surgeon's Saw

Very Rare. Found in hospitals. The best way to amputate limbs.

Alcohol

Common. Found everywhere. Can be used readily. Used to prevent infection.

Antiseptic

Fairly Common. Found in all first aid kits, ambulances and hospitals. Can be used readily. The best way to prevent infection.

Epi-Pen/Adrenaline

Uncommon. Found in larger first aid kits, ambulances and hospitals. Friendly player required for use. Used to awaken unconcious players.

Medical Fluids/Intravenous

Uncommon. Found in ambulances and hospitals. Medical bay or ambulance required. Friendly player required for use.Used to treat cholera and septicemia.

Blood Bag

Uncommon. Found in ambulances and hospitals. Medical bay or ambulance required. Friendly player required for use. Used to replace lost blood or treat septicemia.

Heat Pack

Common. Found everywhere. Can be used readily. Used to raise temperature.

Defibrillator

Uncommon. Found in larger first aid kits, ambulances and hospitals. Friendly player required for use. Used to attempt to restart the heart after it has failed. Success rate of 60% compared with 30% for CPR.

INFECTIONS

Fever - Mild to Moderate.

How affliction occurs: General poor health, exposure to cold temperatures, prolonged periods in water, poor or wet clothing. Contaminated food or water. Can be spread by close contact with other infected players.

How does it affect your character: Coughing. Minor pain. Minor temporary drop in max health.

How is it cured: Generally sorts itself out on its own. Antibiotics can be used to hurry the process along.

Cholera - Severe

How affliction occurs: Ingestion of contaminated water or food.

How does it affect your character: Crippling pain. Lethargy. Rapid dehydration. Coughing. Significant temporary drop in max health. Death if left untreated.

How it is cured: Rehydration and IV antibiotics. Medical fluids can be used to promote recovery.

Tissue Infection - Moderate to severe

How affliction occurs: Wounds left untreated, exposed, heavy bite wounds.

How does it affect your character: Very early stage/mild infection - slight drop in max health. Early stage it impairs the use of limbs - drop in max health. Late stage - completely prevents the use of limbs. Significant drop in max health. Can result in death.

How it is cured: Very early stage - can be treated with IV antibiotics. Early stage - surgery with scalpel and IV antibiotics. Late stage - amputation with saw. Pretty much game over for your character.

WOUNDS

Bruise - Mild to Moderate

How affliction occurs: Impacts, punching, falling.

How does it affect your character: Drop in health. Mild to moderate pain.

How it is cured: Heals in time on its own.

Bite - Moderate

How affliction occurs: Bite from infected.

How does it affect your character: Drop in health. Heavy biting can lead to bleeding. Can cause infection. Moderate pain.

How it is cured: Heals slowly in time on its own, although it should be cleaned with alcohol/antisepectic and covered with a bandage. Bleeding will need to be stopped with a bandage and/or tourniquet.

Cut - Moderate to Extremely Severe

How affliction occurs: Cut from sharp objects, weapons. Heavy falls or impacts.

How does it affect your character: Drop in health. Bleeding. Can lead to infection. Moderate to severe pain. Extremely severe cuts may lead to the loss of a limb, pretty much spelling game over for your character.

How it is cured: Heals slowly in time on its own, although it should be cleaned with alcohol/antisepectic and covered with a bandage. Bleeding will need to be stopped with a bandage and/or tourniquet.

Gunshot/Shrapnel trauma - Mild to Extremely severe.

How affliction occurs: Gunshots, shrapnel from explosions.

How does it affect your character: Drop in health. Bleeding. Can lead to infection. Infection is inevitable and the wound will not heal if the bullet/shrapnel reamains in the body. Mild to severe pain.

How it is cured: Heals slowly in time on its own, although it should be cleaned with alcohol/antisepectic and covered with a bandage. If the bullet/shrapnel does not cleanly exit the body it will cause tissue or blood infection unless it is removed, which will have to be dealth with. Bleeding will need to be stopped with a bandage and/or tourniquet.

Broken Leg - Severe

How affliction occurs: Impacts, gunshots, falls.

How does it affect your character: Drop in health. Loss of movement. Severe pain.

How it is cured: Will heal over time with the use of a splint. Surgery can quicken the process. (I know in IRL it is required, so this is up for debate)

Broken Arm - Severe

How affliction occurs: Impacts, gunshots, falls.

How does it affect your character: Drop in health. Loss of use of arm. Severe pain

How it is cured: Will heal over time with the use of a splint. Surgery can quicken the process. (I know in IRL it is required, so this is up for debate)

Burn - Mild to Severe

How affliction occurs: Extreme heat, fire, explosions, chemical and electrical burns.

How does it affect your character: Drop in health. Heavy burning can lead to infection. Mild to severe pain.

How it is cured: Will heal over time. A burn dressing will quicken the process and prevent infection.

OTHER MEDICAL BITS AND PIECES

The ability to drag bodies and casualties. So unconscious and incapacitated casualties can be moved to safety or into vehicles for transportation. The same mechanic could be used to hide bodies.

CPR. Attempt to restart the heart after it has failed. Success rate of 30% compared with 60% for a defibrillator.

Blood trails, blood spatters and blood pools. A certain amount of gore has been a staple of every zombie book, comic, film and game.

Dismemberment. I know this has already been achieved in VBS2, and it looks great. Dismembering zombies would severely hamper their movement and attacking capabilities, and cause them to bleed out relatively quickly. If a player lost a limb it would be pretty much game over but it would be interesting giving amputees the choice to carry on, maybe some might even find a way to survive. Look at 0:22 in this video for VBS2 dismemberment.

When the physics and ragdoll from Arma 3 is in, it would be good to see some decent death animations for zombies and players alike. At the moment its a little weird how you shoot a zombie, it sprints for a second, then staggers and dies in one of an extremely limited number of ways.

-CHANGES TO THE ZOMBIES AND THEIR BEHAVIOUR-

• Zombie encounters should be more unpredictable in occurrence. Currently if there's a building, there's sure to be some zombies, and you can start preparing yourself for it. The thing currently so special about player encounters is they usually take you by complete surprise.
  • Zombie encounters should be slightly less frequent, but much more dangerous.
  • Some areas should be derelict, with no or very few zombies. Other areas should be completely overrun. This should be largely randomised, in order to prevent players completely working out the best areas to get loot without zombie interaction. Of course some areas, like airports and cities will always be more dangerous than others.
  • Some zombies should roam around in groups, or "herds", from town to town, and across forest and countryside. These groups could range from 2-50 zombies. Imagine the adrenaline of looting a town and then having to rapidly get out of there or take cover because a zombie herd is passing through. Remember the scene in The Walking Dead where they are looting the cars on the highway and a massive herd moves through, forcing everyone to hide?
  • These groups could be drawn to spurts of gunfire, fires, flares or other sound or visual stimuli. They could occasionally pass through woodland, meaning the woods are never entirely safe and you are always on your toes. Currently the player must always come to the zombies - in the Day-Z standalone the zombies may come to you.
  • There should be a range of different types of zombies, although all should veer away comical Left 4 Dead zombie types and the classical "undead" zombies that we see in most films. These are infected we're dealing with here. Some should be extremely fast and aggressive. Others may be starved and shambling. Some may have horrific injuries such as broken legs or missing limbs which impair their movement and ability to attack.
  • Zombies should be killed like humans, but not be inhibited by pain. This means shots will only deter an attack if the zombie is killed.
  • There should be multiple stages of zombie awareness. Currently, even if you're in a ghillie suit, prone in a bush and you fire your sniper rifle, all the zombies suddenly sprint towards your exact location. Instead they should investigate the area from where sound of the shot and then if they establish there's a player they should frenzy. This would encourage snipers to fire and move. The same mechanic could be used for other noises like breaking or crunching glass, or you smashing in a door.
  • To compensate for their slower reaction times each shot would affect zombies from far further away. Realistically a zombie could hear a gunshot from hundreds of metres away. There would always be the risk of drawing in an entire herd of zombies.
  • Zombies should never spawn or de spawn within eye shot of players. The spawning mechanic should be seamless and organic.
  • Other small touches like some better zombie idles, mixing up zombie movement behaviour and some eating behaviour would add better immersion and even gameplay elements. If a group of zombies are preoccupied eating a carcass or corpse then they'd be easier to sneak around.

-A REVISED RELOADING AND WEAPON HANDLING SYSTEM- *NEW*

• Players should be given more control over the state of their weapons, as per in real life. There should be seperate buttons for the safety catch (very important), fire mode switch, reload, and cocking of the weapon. Adding depth to the gunplay would add so much more depth and skill to fights, particularly when in the heat of the moment a player might forget to cock the weapon or his weapon might jam, causing his untimely demise.

• Reloads should take slightly longer in general. The presumption in DayZ is that not all the survivors are hardened soldiers and therefore most of their weapons training would be picked up along the way. Reloads in general are far too quick and while they shouldn't be made too long, they definitely need a bit of tweaking. This would make the decision to reload in a gunfight more important.

• There should be a quick reload and a short reload. From my experience firing weapons the longest part of any reload is not putting the new mag in, its getting the empty one back in your damn webbing and doing up the ammo pouch. I propose that a quick press of R will take the empty mag out of the gun, drop it on the floor to put the new one in quickly. Holding R will perform a longer reload that places the old mag safely back in their inventory. This mechanic would add depth to any gunbattle, giving the player the choice to save precious moments at the risk of damaging/losing a mag, or conserve his gear at the expense of precious moments.

• There should be a safety catch on all weapons that feature them in real life. Too many times in group-play people negligently discharge their weapons, alerting players and zombies from miles away. Importantly there should be an animation for switching on/off the safety catch and this might help some way to reducing the kill on sight mentality.

• The mag change and the cocking of the weapon should be separate actions controlled by seperate keys. In most semi-automatic or automatic weapons if the reload is done while there is still a round in the chamber there is no need to cock the weapon, you can just carry on firing once the fresh mag is in. At the same time this mechanic would allow players with no ammunition to use their actually harmless firearms to threaten other players. Currently if a player is out of ammo with a mag in his weapon the slide or cocking handle goes back, showing the player's weapon is in an empty state. Were the player to be able to cock this weapon, as he would in real life, it would look very much like the weapon was live, adding some value to having a firearm, even if you have no ammo for it.

• Furthermore Dean has talked repeatedly about the possibility of having weapons in poor condition jam. In my opinion this is the most important aspect of gunplay that needs to be introduced because it would add an entirerly new layer to weapon quality: reliability, which is currently not represented in game. Jamming and stoppages of weapons would add so much more to the gunplay but would need to be handled correctly. Ill-fitted magazine type jams would be typical of quick reloads and damaged weapons and magazines. Players would be able to recongize these by the cocking handle fully forward . They would be cleared by pressing R. Obstructions on the other hand would be shown by the cocking handle or slide being stuck in a halfway position and these would be typical of damaged, dirty and unreliable weapons and dirty and damaged ammunition. They would be cleared by pressing the cocking key.

• Jamming would add not only so much more depth and tension to gunfights but to player decisions in choosing and maintaining gear. High reliability in a weapon would offset many of the advantages of the more fancy weapons, for example revolvers and the AK-47 would have increased value due to their unlikelihood of jamming. Furthermore the risk of jamming would encourage players to maintain their gear, as would be of paramount importance in a real apocalypse situation. Coupled with a jamming system would be the introduction of items such as weapons cleaning kits and cleaning rags, and using these to keep weapons, magazines and ammunition in good condition (ie. not damaged and not dirty) would be of paramount importance to having a smoothly operating weapon.

• I am under no illusion that such a system would be easy to introduce but I think by no means it is unfeasible. I'm not suggesting this is done now, or even soon, but at some point in the development process I think it would be an excellent appropriation of resources. By introducing reliability values for all firearms, creating new reloading, cocking, safety catch and jam clearing animations and sounds and creating the appropriate logic and code for the handling of this system DayZ would benefit enormously. Gunplay has always been an important part of DayZ and I feel in this regard DayZ could really set the bar for authentic gun mechanics, particularly as it is a derivative of a military simulation. A more detailed firearm system would add skill, tension and depth to any shootout in DayZ and add huge layers of depth to the way players interact with and choose their equipment.

-CRAFTING-

You should be able to combine two or more items. I think this should be done without in-game recipes or cues, like in minecraft to encourage players to think, memorise key combinations and share knowledge. Once you've put to valid components together it will show you what tools, if any, you need to make the craftable item.

Examples: IEDs, Molotovs, Traps, Tripflares and Alarms, Huts, Fortifications, Makeshift Weapons etc.

-MODULAR WEAPONS-

Arma 3 will support weapon attatchments. There should be a range of weapon attatchments in Day-Z.

Examples: Scopes, Sights, Muzzle Brakes, Flash Hiders, Suppressors, Foregrips, Bipods, Lasers, Flashlights, Grenage Launchers, Camoflage

arma3_weapon_accessories.jpg

-MORE UNIQUE ITEMS-

Examples: Gas Grenades, Flare Guns, Tripwires, Mortars, Gas Stoves, Hexi Blocks, Mess Tins, Multi-Tools, Water-Purification Tablets/Filter, Radios (see community suggestions), Satellite Phones, Fire Extinguishers, Bolt-cutters.

-CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES-

The more it is tied to the gameplay the better.

Gas Masks for withstanding gas attacks and infection.

Ear Plugs to prevent combat deafness (look to A.C.E.).

Balaclavas and Shemaghs to hide your face.

Webbing and Assault Vests for increased inventory space.

Clothing with more pockets ( e.g. a Combat Jacket) for increased inventory space.

Body Armour for withstanding bullets and strikes.

Warm Clothing for keeping warm.

Camouflaged clothing to keep hidden.

Boots: a good pair of boots would degrade a lot slower. Good boots provide subtle bonuses to movement speed, and decrease the rate you physically fatigue.

-A REVISED CAMOUFLAGE, CONCEALMENT AND DETECTION SYSTEM-

Ideally the system would be so solid that there would be no need for the visual and audio detection icons, a player would be guess whether he is hidden by the amount of noise he is making and the contrast between his shape, colour and texture and his surroundings.

Quality of camouflage would depend on your surroundings. Urban camo or grey clothing would be better for cites but nothing would compare to a ghillie suit in the woodland. If you're wearing a yellow high-vis jacket you're walking meat wherever you are. Nearby foliage could be used to improve your camouflage. Cam cream or mud could be used to dull the colour of skin. Camo wrap or netting could be used to cover your weapon.

1259540665.jpg

Ideally you would even be able to put large camo netting over a vehicle or spray paint a camo pattern on it. Camo netting would also be great for concealing fortifications and watchtowers.

ogcamnet.jpg

A subtle scope glint effect would be awesome, making sniping on a hillside just a little less easy. BF2 has scope glint but IMO it's too shiny!

-BASES-

• Bases should be a key aspect of the game.
  • The base-building mechanic should be fully-fleshed out.
  • There should be the possibility of both over-ground bases and underground bases.
  • Bases should range from the small and basic to the large and advanced.
  • If ground deformation is a possibility it should be carefully implemented. It would be great if you could flatten ground, dig trenches, cut down trees. This would bring huge potential to base building and massively expand gameplay, particularly late stage gameplay. For example you could flatten a strip of ground and build a runway. If more than two groups own runways on one server they might begin trading, form a treatise for use of each others runways or fight for control of the other. Of course this would have to be approached with a lot of caution and careful thought. Given enough time a group could completely vandalise a server by deforming the terrain if this mechanic was not watertight.
  • Bases should have a ripple effect on gameplay in general. For example by adding petrol generators, petrol would become a more valued commodity by the larger groups. Petrol stations would become contested zones between these large groups, providing a great objective for both sides to gain control over in a firefight. Alternatively small groups with no need for a generator could trade petrol with these larger groups for other gear.

-A TRADING MECHANIC AND SUPPORTING GAMEPLAY ELEMENTS-

• First of all there should some sort of interface for trading so items can change hands easily. And perhaps not just items but vehicles as well.
  • No artificial measures should stop you from shooting the potential trader in the head and taking his stuff. Of course if you are in an established trading post you are likely to be shot yourself.
  • Secondly add the appropriate gameplay elements to support trading. Some of this comes back to bases. they would be extremely important for the formation of trading posts and hubs.
  • Another things is having single bullets as individual items. This is because they will likely become the main form currency and to trade them for other low-level items like food and medicine they need to be separate in order to allow greater flexibility in trading.

-VEHICLE CHANGES-

Firstly a far greater range and number of vehicles. However in a relatively "small" map like Chernarus these would become concentrated and everyone would be going around in high end vehicles, blowing everything up, destroying vehicles and being impervious to zombies. They still need to be sparse and something to be sought after. Fuel needs to be a severe limitation for military vehicles. Vehicle ammo should be a rare, high value commodity to keep them balanced. On a larger map with more players, a server could hold a couple of armored cars or basic planes.

The variety needs to be out there. Fighters, heavy gunships and tanks probably shouldn't feature at the moment, but if we come to play on bigger servers in the future, high level vehicles should be out there for the organised and determined.

Secondly a better system for vehicle damage a greater number of problems and solutions.

Flat Tire = New Tire

Damaged Wheel = New Wheel

Smashed/Damaged Windscreen = New Windscreen

Flat Battery = New Battery/Jumpstart

Leaking Fuel Tank = Scrap metal for minor damage, New Fuel Tank for major damage

Electric and Electronics Problems (Lights, Dashboard, Instruments) = Circuitry

Damaged Engine = Scrap metal for minor damage, New Engine for major damage

Chassis/Hull Damage = Scrap Metal

You should be able to tow damaged vehicles. A towing mechanic has been achieved in VBS2.

Thirdly a system for better movement within vehicles and a system for shooting out of vehicles.

-FIRE-

I did a whole thread on fire once. It can be read here

-PHYSX-

Arma 3 will feature Physx 3.0. It should feature in Day-Z

Okay so we now know Day-Z won't be running on the Arma 3 engine, rather it's own spin on the Take on Helicopters engine which is it's own branch of the Arma 2 OA engine. It's still important that the game features at the very least basic things such as ragdoll.

-AND A VERY SIMPLE SUGGESTION-

A Notepad and Pen. Something you can write in (type) and tear pages out of. This is such a simple thing yet has so many uses. You could leave a note on your body for anyone that killed you. Leave a note on a door. Jot down coordinates for key areas. Write instructions or crafting recipes and give them to friends. Leave a note in a vehicle. Leave one on a corpse. Make lists. Write a novel. Whatever. Please implement this in the standalone!

-COMMUNITY SUGGESTIONS-

-BASIC WISHLIST-

• Fight duping, hacking and exploiting.
  • The ingame models, textures, animations and mechanics should have a solid, quality feel about them.
  • The weapons should be detailed and authentic, and fully complete with their own reloading and firing animations. (Possibly textures for weapons of a more degraded condition and animations for them jamming).
  • Most gunshouts should be very loud, almost as loud as IRL, and the sound should carry some distance.
  • Female zombies. Possibly children - although this means it will probably be banned in Australia!
  • Properly loading ammunition - magazine moved from inventory to gun when loaded.
  • Ability to drink with cupped hands from water sources.
  • Make zombies appear at a greater distance from the player so they can't be used for player detection.
  • Make items spawn more seamlessly. Make the practice of "loot-piling" or "farming" less viable.
  • Mod support.
  • "A big ass shopping mall would be cool."
  • High-end military gear should be far rarer and harder to obtain. There should be a greater emphasis on civilian weaponry, particularly hunting rifles, shotguns and melee weapons.
  • Animals to behave more realistically. Docile farm animals should be easy prey for zombies while deer should be a challenge to hunt. Some animals like large boars and wild dogs may even present a threat to the player.
  • The ability to fish in both fresh and seawater. More underwater life.
  • Many have suggested making players killed by the infected turn into zombies. This is quite hotly debated though.
  • Another hotly debated suggestion is item condition degradation. One gameplay mechanic this would provide would be jamming weaponry, encouraging players to keep their gear in good condition. Farcry 2 is a good example of how this could work, with a more degraded weapon appearing more battered, and more liable to jam.
  • A mechanic for grouping players and creating survivor groups.

-RADIOS AND RANDOM EVENTS-

• There should be random events, some should be easily avoidable, others not. They should feel organic. These would help prevent the game from becoming monotonous and mix up the gameplay. Some should be minor, others major. None of them should completely take away player choice or direction and they should be able to be tackled in a variety of ways.
  • They should be fairly rare. The gameplay should still be determined mostly by normal player interactions with each other and the core mechanics,
  • What these events would be and how they would be implemented is up for discussion. I imagine this will be a point of hot debate.
  • Some events you may stumble across, others might be delivered by a radio. For example a message may come through that a chopper is going down or a convoy is being attacked, giving you the vague location.
  • Other events might take the form of roaming hordes of infected or extreme weather events.

-BARRICADING-

• There should be mechanics in place that will allow us to impede a zombie attack on people in side a building Some possible examples are the use of wooden planks on doors and windows, moving heavy objects in front of doors, and the use of padlocks and chains.
  • No barricade should be flawless. While some might be stronger than others, barricades should be destroyable.

-AN ENHANCED DYNAMIC WEATHER SYSTEM-

• There should be a detailed weather system which has profound impacts on gameplay and player decisions.
  • It should tie in to a clothing mechanic and a revised health system.
  • It should affect the how detectable and perceptive perception zombies, animals and players are.
  • Many people have suggested implementing ground mist, particularly in the mornings.
  • Many have also suggested seasonal variations in weather.

-CHANGES TO SNIPING-

• Sniping should be harder and require more skill.
  • Military sniper rifles should be very rare.
  • Wind could affect the bullet trajectory.
  • Scopes should not be portrayed by an overlay like this:

11-1.jpg

Frankly it looks both cheap and lazy. As you look down a scope it should look more like this, although everything in your peripheral vision should be blurred. Red Orchestra is one game which achieves this effect very well.

495428309_3YjoR-O.jpg

-WEAPONS WISHLIST-

This is a weapons wishlist. Some of these these weapons should be complete with both unique and interchangeable attachments. Some weapons would be found with attachments already built on, others found as is, and attachments can be found and added to them. The weapons are ordered in rarity, as detailed below:

Everywhere / Very Common / Common / Average / Uncommon / Rare / Very Rare / Super-Rare / Hyper-Rare

There are approximately 150 weapons on this list and It would be unrealistic to imagine all these weapons would make it to the game, however ones which really shouldn't be ignored have been asterisked. The weapons have been chosen because they fit the setting. Of course it is reasonable to expect a greater emphasis on WWII, Cold War and Eastern European and Russian/USSR weaponry, than on modern weaponry from across the world, as you would in a military simulator like ARMA. So with this is mind if the dev team had to pick a selection of weapons from this list of course P90s, the Kriss Super Vector, Barret 50. Cals and such like would be left out. Just because this list features extremely varied and some high end weaponry does not mean I endorse an abundance of high-end weaponry in the game. High end weaponry should be extremely rare and ammunition for it should be scarce.

Bohemia Interactive already owns model and texture assets for most of these weapons, although many could do with a redux. Virtually all of these weapons are somewhere on Armaholic available as mods.

CIVILIAN WEAPONRY - MELEE

This section refers to melee weapons which can be found in residential, commercial, industrial and rural areas. These are the most common weapons found across Chernarus.

Small Stick

Heavy Stick*

Tire Iron*

Lead Pipe*

Bottle/Smashed Bottle*

Screw Driver

Baseball Bat*

Frying Pan

Claw Hammer*

Sledge Hammer

Wooden Hatchet*

Wooden Fire Axe*

Small Kitchen Knife

Large Kitchen Knife*

Pocket Knife

Gardening Fork

Gardening Spade

Industrial Hatchet

Industrial Fire Axe

Multi-Tool

Crow Bar*

Meat Cleaver*

Pick Axe

Hunting Knife*

Police Baton/Nightstick

Machete

Chainsaw

CIVILIAN WEAPONRY - RANGED

This section refers to ranged weapons which can be found in residential, commercial, industrial and rural areas. They are significantly harder to find than their melee counterparts and rely on ammunition.

Double Barrelled Shotgun*

.22 Air Rifle

Makarov PM*(Russian/USSR)

Revolver (Historic)*

Tokarev TT* (Russian/USSR)

Sports Crossbow

Sawn-Off Shotgun*

Mauser 98 (German)

CZ 550* (Czech)

Mosin Nagant*(Russian/USSR)

M1911* (USA)

Walther P38 (German)

Molot Bekas 12M* (Russian/USSR)

Mauser C-96 (German)

Revolver (Modern)*

Remington Model 700* (USA)

Winchester Model 1866* (USA)

Lee Enfield .303 (British)

Molot Bekas Auto (Russian/USSR)

Remington 870* (USA)

Mossberg 590* (USA)

Hunting Crossbow*

OTHER - MELEE

This section refers to military and historic melee weapons which are the rarest of their class. The most powerful, the historic weapons, are extremely rare and may only be found in the castles of Chernarus.

Various Bayonets (Attatchement/Knife)*

Trenchspike*

Soviet Combat Knife

K-BAR

Historic Shortsword

Historic Mace*

Historic Longsword*

MILITARY HANDGUNS

This section refers to military handguns. Note there is some crossover of weapons with the civilian section.

Makarov PM* (Russian/USSR)

Tokarev TT* (Russian/USSR)

Mauser C-96 (German)

M1911* (USA)

Walther P38 (German)

Browning Hi-Power* (British)

MP-446* (Russian/USSR)

FN Five-Seven (Belgian)

SIG P226* (Swiss)

Glock 17* (Austrian)

UZI* (Israeli)

Beretta M9* (Italian/USA)

CZ 75* (Czech)

Glock 18 (Austrian)

Walther P88 (German)

H&K USP .45* (German)

IMI Desert Eagle(Israeli)

MILITARY ASSAULT RIFLES

This section refers to military assault rifles.

AK-47* (Russian/USSR)

AKM* (Russian/USSR)

AK-74* (Russian/USSR)

FN FAL* (Belgian)

H&K G3 (German)

Type 56 (Chinese)

Colt M4A1*(USA)

Colt M16A1*(USA)

AK-107* (Russian/USSR)

AEK-971* (Russian/USSR)

H&K G41 (German)

H&K G36 (German)

H&K G36C (German)

H&K G36K (German)

Steyr AUG (Austrian)

FN FNC (Belgian)

Type 81 (Chinese)

Colt M4A1/A2*(USA)

Colt M16A2/A4* (USA)

SIG SG 550 (Swiss)

AN-94 Akaban* (Russian/USSR)

FN SCAR Mk.16 (Belgian)

FN SCAR Mk.17 (Belgian)

H&K 416(German)

H&K 417(German)

H&K G36E(German)

L85A2* (British)

L86A2 LSW (British)

SIG 552 SWAT (Swiss)

Colt M27 IAR (USA)

AK-12 (Russian/USSR)

MILITARY RIFLES/SNIPER RIFLES

This section refers to military rifles. Both historic rifles and most sniper rifles use among the rarest of ammunition and magazines. There is some crossover between the WWII rifles and the civilian weapons section.

Mauser 98* (German)

Remington Model 700* (American)

Mosin Nagant*(Russian/USSR)

SVD* (Russian/USSR)

SVN-98* (Russian/USSR)

CZ-700* (Czech)

M14 (American)

M14 DMR (American)

M24 (American)

KVSK* (Russian/USSR)

GOL-Sniper (Germany)

MK.14 Mod. 0 (American)

H&K PSG1* (Germany)

AI l96* (British)

WA-2000 (Germany)

AI AS50 (British)

Barrett M82 (American)

MILITARY SUBMACHINE GUNS

This section refers to military submachine guns.

Scorpion SA Vz 61* (Czech)

K6-92 Borz (Armenian/Russian)

PPSH-41* (USSR)

OTs-02 Kiparis (Russian)

UZI* (Israeli)

Micro-UZI (Israeli)

Ingram MAC-10 (USA)

MP-40 (German)

H*K MP5A2* (German)

PP-19-01 Vityaz* (Russian/USSR)

H&K MP5-A5 (German)

H&K MP5-SD3 (German)

H&K MPK (German)

Walther MPL (German)

H&K UMP-45 (German)

Type 05 (Chinese)

Steyr TMP (Austrian)

PP-19 Bizon* (Russian)

FN P90 (Belgian)

H&K MP7 (German)

PP-2000 (Russian)

TDI Kriss Super Vector (USA)

MILITARY LMGS and MACHINE GUNS

This section refers to military machine guns. Some wepaons, such as the Kord 12.7mm are static and must be packed up before moved and deployed before use.

RPK* (Russian/USSR)

RPD* (Russian/USSR)

RPK-74* (Russian/USSR)

Kord 12.7mm* (Russian/USSR)

DshKM 12.7mm* (Russian/USSR)

PKP Pecheneg* (Russian/USSR)

PKM* (Russian/USSR)

MG 42 (German)

FN Minimi/M249 SAW (Belgian/USA)

FN MAG/M240 (Belgian/USA)

MK48 Mod. 0* (USA)

Browning .50 Cal (Belgian/USA)

H&K MG4 (Germany)

MILITARY SHOTGUNS

This section refers to military shotguns. Note there is some crossover of weapons with the civilian section.

Molot Bekas 12M* (Russian/USSR)

Remington 870* (USA)

Browning Auto (Belgian)

Molot Bekas Auto (Russian/USSR)

Mossberg 590* (USA)

Ithaca 37 'Stakeout'(USA)

Franchi SPAS 12*(Italy)

Saiga 12K* (Russian/USSR)

Benelli M4 Super 90 (Russian/USSR)

Daewoo USAS 12* (South Korean)

Atchisson AA-12 (USA)

This is material worth praying to, not just reading. Bible of DayZ.

More varied forms of finding food and equipment, whilst making it more valuable by making it drop less is also something interesting. If we were to combine this, the ammo and weapon suggestions, and perhaps cannibalism you would get a situation much closer to The Road (Cormack McCarthy).

Canabalism is a good idea, but some parents are going to whine around again, because they will not understand it (and because they let their underaged kid play this game)... I would say there should be a hell more animals in the map (this should reflect russia, so put in some russian animals, including fish, birds and insects) and make them huntable! You could get pelt and meat from them and even make weapons out of their bones and teeth.

It would be cool if we had some way to hide items. Some way where people wouldn't stumble over them.
In a trade type scenario nothing prevents one part from killing the other and simply take what they want. If you could hide an item you could trade the directions to the 'buried treasure'. This would also allow players to leave loot for their friends to pick up.

It could be as simple as a way of dropping an item without it being shown on the ground. (or just be shown as dirt instead of grass)

To prevent depositing everything you can't carry with you for your next respawn, there could be a timer, say, some hours before the hidden item despawns or becomes visible.

Edited by Terrorbillen

This thread still has the best suggestions to boot. I especially like the inventory system. Bumping, BI really need to consider many of the points raised by the OP.

some good script for the standalone and mod would be a option to play dead, see a car comming just lay down but it would also look like your dead they may just pass buy, also empty clips and finding single round would be cool, have a bullet press you could place at your base to make new rounds an fill mags. simple things like that just to make it more real.