SubEclipse

How to setup public DayZ dedicated server

Hello,

I'm in the process of setting up our first DayZ server, and I'm having a little trouble tracking down any good 'how to' resources.

I have to imagine these documents exist since there are thousands of servers up and running, but I'm striking out like crazy.

All I've been able to track down is a video on YouTube which shows the process for creating a private server, which I assume is a different process than setting up a public one (maybe not?? Maybe the only difference is the mission files along with the whitelisting?).

What I know

• I know that I need to request the instance ID through the support portal... I have a pending request already.
  • I know that when the request is approved, they will give me access to necessary mission files

Assumptions based on things I have found

• I'll need to get copies of Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead on my server, as well as the DayZ mod files
  • Better instructions will be provided along with the instance ID
  • Ports 2302, 2303 and 2305 (TCP and UDP) need to be opened up to the server

I also came across this wiki page for Arma 2 dedicated servers... assume there's some useful info there which is also relevant to DayZ dedicated servers there as well.

Any information you can provide about setting up a server is greatly appreciated. And apologies for asking a question that I assume must be answered somewhere... though for the life of me I cannot find.

[uPDATE]

My Server was just approved and as stated by a few in this post, everything needed to set up my server was included in the welcome email. For those aspiring to set up your own server, fear not. Also, it took my request 3 days to be approved. I'm not sure if this is an average wait time or not as I have read about others waiting in excess of 1 week.

[/uPDATE]

Edited by SubEclipse
  • Like 1

You have to apply to the dev team. I think there's a thread around here somewhere...

(backpack rummaging sound)

Fortunately for you, my caustic mode is off at the moment.

Check out the first couple of threads here:

http://dayzmod.com/f...server-general/

I actually mentioned this in my post, I'm currently waiting on the instance ID approval from the dev team.

What I'm looking for is the process of building the server.

Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

you have to read about DayZ server in the Server General forum there is rules, you cant just download unknown unofficial DayZ server files and setup server on your PC, at least not with help from DayZ dev team.

Yeah, once they approve you, either the devs or the server hosting company help with that stuff. If you're not approved yet, you're probably gonna have a bad time.

you have to read about DayZ server in the Server General forum there is rules, you cant just download unknown unofficial DayZ server files and setup server on your PC, at least not with help from DayZ dev team.

That is not my goal... I don't believe I indicated that was something I was trying to do.

To clear the air, I'm looking for the approved, super legit way to build a DayZ server... not on my home PC... on a dedicated server of mine.

I have read through all of the pinned posts in the server general forum, which indicate server requirements (which my server meets or exceeds) as well as answers to FAQs, etc.

Edited by SubEclipse

Yeah, once they approve you, either the devs or the server hosting company help with that stuff.

I'm hoping they just send out some sort of "getting started" documentation with the approval, but who knows...

If you're not approved yet, you're probably gonna have a bad time.

Why do you say that? From what I understand the devs want to give out these instance IDs to anyone who meets the requirements. Also, I've read that most people wait an average of 3 days before hearing back... I've been waiting less than 24 hours.

Edited by SubEclipse

All you need to do is get ARMA 2 and OA on your server, the rest is all provided if you're accepted.

All you need to do is get ARMA 2 and OA on your server, the rest is all provided if you're accepted.

Ok... I have that completed in preparation of the instance ID approval.

Thank you for the reply.

Once approved, I'll reply back to this thread confirming that all of the documentation was included. That way, once google indexes this thread there will at least be a place where people in my situation can get the answers.

Once you are approved, there are instructions in the files. If you follow it word for word and in order, your server will be up in less than an hour (includes downloading time, if any).

If you run into any problems, feel free to contact me personally.

Once you are approved, there are instructions in the files. If you follow it word for word and in order, your server will be up in less than an hour (includes downloading time, if any).

If you run into any problems, feel free to contact me personally.

Excellent... thank you for the info and I appreciate the offer for the help.

Edited by SubEclipse

Expect about a week to get your instance ID ive been waiting almost 5 days now, still waiting on it cant wait to get it setup and play with everyone.

Expect about a week to get your instance ID ive been waiting almost 5 days now, still waiting on it cant wait to get it setup and play with everyone.

Bummer... hopefully everything goes through smoothly once they have time to review our requests.

Well that freaking sucks if I had known that I would have requested it long ago while I was setting up my server. I thought their new system would be faster. :(

Ya i know but you cant even submit one without the ip. I wish i knew about it too im hoping to get mine before the weekend.

Ya i know but you cant even submit one without the ip. I wish i knew about it too im hoping to get mine before the weekend.

Me too, but it's out of our hands... I'm just grateful that we don't have to pay server rental fees, which is the reason why I don't host a BF3 server.

It took about 8 days for my server to get approved

It took about 8 days for my server to get approved

Ok, good to know. I think I can manage to be patient that long.

Hey, another question... When I was filling out the request form, I was unsure what they were looking for in the fields for: Network Port Speed Upload (mbps) & Network Port Speed Download (mbps).

Are they looking for what your bandwidth from your ISP is allowing, or for what the NIC card is capable of (eg I get 40MBps up & 40MBps down vs having gigabit NIC or 10/100MBps NIC). I assumed the former and listed the upload and download speeds, but have been second guessing myself there.

Edited by SubEclipse

Are they looking for what your bandwidth from your ISP is allowing, or for what the NIC card is capable of (eg I get 40MBps up & 40MBps down vs having gigabit NIC or 10/100MBps NIC). I assumed the former and listed the upload and download speeds, but have been second guessing myself there.

The former, though 40/40 seems odd for a datacentre line.

Ok, good to know. I think I can manage to be patient that long.

Hey, another question... When I was filling out the request form, I was unsure what they were looking for in the fields for: Network Port Speed Upload (mbps) & Network Port Speed Download (mbps).

It would be from your server. I went onto my server with RDP and did speedtest.,net

I have

The former, though 40/40 seems odd for a datacentre line.

I have a fiber channel which is supposed to be 10/10MBps... they don't cap it and usually I get upwards of 40 each way.

[EDIT]Ugg... looks like they actually started enforcing my advertised speeds... it's been about 2 weeks since I did a speed test and just assumed nothing had changed. Hopefully this isn't an issue with the request[/EDIT]

Edited by SubEclipse

I'm lazy tonight so forgive me if if has already been said. The best thing you can do to make getting your server up ASAP after being whitelisted is to have the entire game uploaded to your box and have it patched all the way in regards to BattleEye and arma beta.

I'm lazy tonight so forgive me if if has already been said. The best thing you can do to make getting your server up ASAP after being whitelisted is to have the entire game uploaded to your box and have it patched all the way in regards to BattleEye and arma beta.

Yesterday I installed Steam on my server and downloaded Arma 2 and OA, so that much is done... would the best way to get everything on the server patched and to get DayZ mod be to use Six Launcher like I would on my my PC, or is there a better method for servers?

Thanks for the post... really not much has been stated other than that the dev team sends out instructions when the instance ID is approved/issued.

I have

I have a fiber channel which is supposed to be 10/10MBps... they don't cap it and usually I get upwards of 40 each way.

[EDIT]Ugg... looks like they actually started enforcing my advertised speeds... it's been about 2 weeks since I did a speed test and just assumed nothing had changed. Hopefully this isn't an issue with the request[/EDIT]

Great... I hope that the Dayz devs are sorting through and denying people who want to host a server on their home connection. No offense to you Sub, but hosting a server on your home connection is usually against the TOS of your ISP. Not to mention that the performance for those who join your server won't be the best. Plus its insulting to those of us who are actually paying for a dedicated server. Read the rules:

Can I host my server at home?

No. A home internet connection is not intended to run servers. There are several problems with this:

* Most home internet connections have far less upload bandwidth than download bandwidth. You may have 24Mbit download bandwidth, but only 6Mbit upload bandwidth. A DayZ server requires a lot of upload bandwidth, and for peaks (server restarts when lots of people try to log in) requires a lot more.

* Many ISPs won't allow home internet connections to run servers. You may get disconnected by your ISP for this.

* Many ISPs won't allow you to accumulate that much bandwidth. A DayZ server will consume multiple terabytes per month. If you do not have unlimited bandwidth, this could cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars. Or, it'll consume your bandwidth quota in a day or two.

* Many home internet connection use dynamic IPs. A static IP is highly recommended

* Many home internet connections are less stable and reliable than dedicated connections.

As such, you cannot host your DayZ server on a home internet connection.

I wonder how many requests are backlogging the process because of the people trying to host a server on their home connection.

Edited by Runes911

Great... I hope that the Dayz devs are sorting through and denying people who want to host a server on their home connection. No offense to you Sub, but hosting a server on your home connection is usually against the TOS of your ISP. Not to mention that the performance for those who join your server won't be the best. Plus its insulting to those of us who are actually paying for a dedicated server. Read the rules:

I wonder how many requests are backlogging the process because of the people trying to host a server on their home connection.

I don't know what country you are living in, but home connections in some parts of the world are just as fast and stable as datacenter connections. For example, if I lived a couple blocks away from where I live now I could get a 1000Mbit down / 100Mbit up fibre optic connection for roughly 100€ per month. That's beast.

Notice the use of word "most", "many" and "often" in the FAQ/rules. It's just assumptions from the writer who is very narrow sighted.

* Many home Internet connections are simmetrical, ie have the same download/upload speed.

* Most ISPs allow users to host servers and only block ports for security reasons (SMTP, Windows file sharing, etc)

* Most home Internet connections do not have any bandwidth limits.

* Many home Internet connections are binded to a MAC - so they are pretty much static IPs.

* Many home Internet connections are just as stable as dedicated lines.

I could continue forever...

Edited by Rolle