Bukethead

Reduced AKM/AK74 spawn, replace with SKS

SKS in DayZ  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Should the SKS be added to DayZ?

I personally would like to see the spawning of AKM/AK74's reduced a bit and have the SKS introduced. Too often I see people around Elektro and Cherno with AKs who just mow down other players. I think this could largely be reduced if a semi-auto only short range weapon was included, that way only those who aim have a chance at scoring someone's loot.

OkYCW.jpg

A brief summary on the SKS:

"The SKS is a Soviet semi-automatic rifle chambered for the 7.62x39mm round, designed in 1943 by Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov. Its complete designation, SKS-45, is an acronym for Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova, 1945 (Russian: Самозарядный карабин системы Симонова, 1945; Self-loading Carbine of (the) Simonov system, 1945), or SKS 45. In the early 1950's, the Soviets took the SKS carbine out of front-line service and replaced it with the AK-47; however, the SKS remained in second-line service for decades."

I personally think this would fit in with DayZ perfectly considering these firearms would be in great numbers in any former Soviet nation.

Since it uses the same ammo as the AKM, you could use the same ammo coversion system that the revolver and 1911 use.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Bukethead
  • Like 21

its true that the AKM is pretty over-powered for how common it is (its one of the best assault rifles IMO). It seems to always spawn in the fire station

its true that the AKM is pretty over-powered for how common it is (its one of the best assault rifles IMO). It seems to always spawn in the fire station

That and I believe DayZ gets a bit boring after a while considering the limited number of weapons. I find that after I get decent gear, I'm not really motiviated to do the hunting around for weapons and gear you do when you start a new life. Variety is the spice of life and keeps things fresh. One of the reasons the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Fallout series of games are so playable for long periods of time is the sheer amount of unique weapons. It keeps the game fresh and you're likely to never get the same weapons in each playthrough. I think DayZ accomplishes this somewhat as each server has completely different loot than the one previous, but once you gather an AK/M4 or your rifle of choice, a decent side arm, food, water, and medical supplies you develop this attachment to what you have and aren't as motivated to venture out due to the possiblity of being killed and having to start all over again. I also believe this is the reason we see so many people disconnecting when they encounter enemy fire.

Edited by Bukethead

AKM is way to common yea.

I end up not using the majority of the other basic rifles simply because AKM is so common.

AKM is way to common yea.

I end up not using the majority of the other basic rifles simply because AKM is so common.

I kind of wish I'd have expanded the topic a bit, because I think in addition to the AKM being common, the Lee Enfield spawn should be reduced and the Mosin Nagant should be added to fill that gap. I'd even like to see the TT-33 Tokarev added.

well, the lee enfield I think is ok to spawn at a good rate, because its not that great a gun. Granted, it can kill anyone in one shot, even in the leg, but the fire rate is slow and it is SOOOOO noisy you cant fire it without 50 zombies and 10 players flocking to you

well, the lee enfield I think is ok to spawn at a good rate, because its not that great a gun. Granted, it can kill anyone in one shot, even in the leg, but the fire rate is slow and it is SOOOOO noisy you cant fire it without 50 zombies and 10 players flocking to you

True, but I think adding in a Mosin would be an excellent idea considering it is a russian rifle and was produced in the millions.

Yes to the SKS. Would be a bit more powerful though, since it is a semi-automatic rifle. Throw in a Mosin-Nagant and a Tokarev and you have a deal.

Hell, add in the PPSH!

• Like 3

Yes to the SKS. Would be a bit more powerful though, since it is a semi-automatic rifle. Throw in a Mosin-Nagant and a Tokarev and you have a deal.

Hell, add in the PPSH!

I'd like to see all these in DayZ :)

21 yes votes, let's keep this going so the dev team can see this!

Edited by Bukethead

Agree one hundred percent. I can find an AK (Usually multiple) and ammo within 5-10 minutes spawning, tops. Access to a fully automatic, high powered weapon should not be so easy, especially not when you spawn. The SKS would have similar damage, just not full auto, only semi, and only a 10 round mag as it's fed by stripper clips like the Enfield.

I also agree with the Mosin making more sense than an Enfield. The Soviets handed the things like candy to other sattelite nations, and they held on to all the millions they had made after WW2. Not to mention the guns made outside of the Russian arsenals. Same thing with the Tokarev.

Edited by Nick8478
  • Like 1

SKS is no longer in production and are more rare than AKs in real life. I only say this because i used to manage an custom AK shop and learned a lot about guns while I was there. AKs are everywhere. Hell there is an AK manufacture here about 15 minutes from my house.

SKS is no longer in production and are more rare than AKs in real life. I only say this because i used to manage an custom AK shop and learned a lot about guns while I was there. AKs are everywhere. Hell there is an AK manufacture here about 15 minutes from my house.

You've got to be kidding me, right? If only current production guns were in the game, there would be no Lee-Enfields, M16A2's (Only A4s), and there wouldn't be very many (if any) FAL's, AKM's, no wood, non DMR M14's, ect as most of these are made for the US civilian market.

Oh, and by the way, the SKS is still in production at the MOLOT plant in Russia.

Besides that, military-issue SKS's were made by the millions in Russia, China, Yugoslavia, Romania, North Korea, Vietnam, East Germany, and Albania. These guns were handed out, similary to the AKM, Mosin Nagant, ect. to just about every country that said they were communist. These rifles are still in warehouses all over the place, and many were surplused and sold to civilians. Also, I've just as many SKS's as I have AK's here in the states, and I often find the two together.

All in all your arguement doesn't hold much weight. You saying you own a custom AK shop doesn't mean much either, as I'm a collector of communist-bloc military surplus weapons.

• Like 1

SKS is no longer in production and are more rare than AKs in real life.

A little research quickly informed me that the SKS is incredibly popular still and finds widespread use still (although not necessarily in the military). I guess managing that AK shop didn't really do you that many favors.

• Like 2

I also might want to add that the "New production" AK's here in the states are often made of parts kits from old military rifles. They have to cut away the barrel and reciever, and can only import the parts to the rifles, in which they put the parts in a new US made reciever with a new US made barrel. So really most of these guns arn't even "New".

• Like 1

Also, to sort of add to this: I would like to see the SKS replace the Enfield, with automatics in general having lower spawn rates. It makes absolutely no sense to me that the Enfield is one of the more common shoulder weapons, and yet the SKS is completely absent.

Edited by aversionfx

In addition to what Nick said I think there's a misunderstanding on where the weapons are coming from in DayZ. We pretty much assume by the uniforms, region, etc that if Chenarus was a real country, would have been a former Soviet state which would have both donated weapons from Russia and would have produced them itself. We're not speaking about any licensed copies that are produced in the US or elsewhere, we're talking about weapons produced in the home country.

Of course with other weapons like the M4, FAL, Enfield etc, we have to assume that DayZ takes place after the ArmA II conflict and what we're picking up is dropped weapons carried by US soldiers and other NATO forces.

And for anyone that didn't play Arma 2, Chernarus' backround is that it's a former Soviet Sattelite state that is in civil war between Communist, terrorist guerillas and Russia, vs. the USMC, the CDF (Chernarus' army, uses a mix of former Soviet and US weapons), and local guerillas.

AKs spawn like crazy, I was holding up at one spot today and found 4 seperate spawns of AKS AKM within 20sec distance... WTF. All with mags???

AKs spawn like crazy, I was holding up at one spot today and found 4 seperate spawns of AKS AKM within 20sec distance... WTF. All with mags???

I came across around 10 AKMs in a span of 10 minutes hunting around Stary. Yes, literally 10, one for each minute I was looking.

They need to add many types of russian rifles and start replacing all the american and british weapons. There needs to be some at helicopter crashes but most of chenarus should consist of russian type weapons. +1

Beat you to it... but yes, good idea. It makes absofuckinglutely NO sense to have all these british/american weapons everywhere when russian equivalents like the SKS and Nagant are left out. Matter of fact, why the hell are the jeep wrecks everywhere not UAZ's and the chopper crashes Mi-17's?

Beat you to it... but yes, good idea. It makes absofuckinglutely NO sense to have all these british/american weapons everywhere when russian equivalents like the SKS and Nagant are left out. Matter of fact, why the hell are the jeep wrecks everywhere not UAZ's and the chopper crashes Mi-17's?

Agreed, some US weapons should be present given Arma 2's backstory, but the stuff like British guns being at American chopper wrecks that are in a post-Soviet nation makes no sense at all.

I personally would like to see the spawning of AKM/AK74's reduced a bit and have the SKS introduced. Too often I see people around Elektro and Cherno with AKs who just mow down other players. I think this could largely be reduced if a semi-auto only short range weapon was included, that way only those who aim have a chance at scoring someone's loot.

OkYCW.jpg

A brief summary on the SKS:

"The SKS is a Soviet semi-automatic rifle chambered for the 7.62x39mm round, designed in 1943 by Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov. Its complete designation, SKS-45, is an acronym for Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova, 1945 (Russian: Самозарядный карабин системы Симонова, 1945; Self-loading Carbine of (the) Simonov system, 1945), or SKS 45. In the early 1950's, the Soviets took the SKS carbine out of front-line service and replaced it with the AK-47; however, the SKS remained in second-line service for decades."

I personally think this would fit in with DayZ perfectly considering these firearms would be in great numbers in any former Soviet nation.

Since it uses the same ammo as the AKM, you could use the same ammo coversion system that the revolver and 1911 use.

Any thoughts?

If you're saying people "mow down others" with AKs, then you would be wrong and I question your experience.