Just had a good experience today on US HC2.

Me and my 2 friends had good overwatch and security on the airfield, when we spotted a group of 3 walking along the hangars, in a tight formation.

I downed one of them from afar, and the other two hid in the corner of the hangar. I was expecting to see some disconnects, but I didn't. I won't go into the details of the battle, but none of them disconnected despite having the perfect opportunity to, being pinned down. They fought to the end like men.

Whoever those people were, props to you.

Had this shit happen to me repeatedly, so many times

It is the most frustrating thing about this game, and HAS TO BE dealt with as soon as possible, above other features in my opinion. This should be top priority for Rocket and the Day-Z team.

Come on guys you can do it!

Fuck I just tried to post that it probably isn't too hard to keep the character in-game for a period of time.. It's probably fucking difficult after thinking that one through.. However, (fuck I need to actually think for longer before I post so I don't contradict myself ahh fuck it) it seems that with the skin bug (turning into a bandit/survivor, and having your skin left behind) there might yet be a way to delay the character logging out..

Well they have to come up with a system soon, because this is making a KEY element of the game completely redundant in a lot of cases, as people just alt+f4 during most combat situations which are not in their favour.

Also, the body's should stay longer and not vanish if some one leaves the server.

p obvious solution has been mentioned many time already: just toss in a 30-60 second timer on disconnects. the reason it isnt implemented already is because it probably isn't easy to do.

how did the original Arma multiplayer mod handle this issue? no idea ofc, but I'd be surprised if this wasn't part of the actual game binary and not moddable (legally).

how did the original Arma multiplayer mod handle this issue?

What original arma multiplayer mod? Do you mean just multiplayer in the game before DayZ? It's funny that you should ask that, because it's a good indication of the vastly different playerbase that DayZ has brought to this game. Before DayZ, players like this who exploited the game simply weren't a problem. They didn't exist, aside from the odd hacker. The most popular multiplayer matches were within mature communities on well moderated servers. Disconnecting in a PvP game to avoid dying was simply unheard of. It's also pointless, since you don't have persistent gear like in DayZ. That's really the only motivation for DayZ players; you have gear you don't want to lose.

So, yeah, this isn't/wasn't a problem outside of DayZ.

This is the reason for most MMO's having you 'camp out' instead of letting you leave the game instantly.

The problem would be solved by having the character stay in the game for a minute after the player has logged out and i really think that a 'camp out'-function is needed for a game like Day Z.

Have had people go into houses after I've shot them and after waiting ages gone inside to find they've disappeared. It's becoming more of an occurance now and a b!tch tactic.

^ This is by far the most annoying itype of disconnecting.

Killing someone and their body disappearing is annoying, but their will be a solution eventually.

But someone being able to duck inside and disconnect removes all tension.

If I was playing Arma (not the DayZ mod) I would -never- follow a target into a building if I and my team-mates had the exits covered. That's just really bloody stupid. Doors are where poeple die. Cover a bulding for an hour if you have to... Heck, in something like DayZ you could starve players out of a hiding spot if needs be... Or negotiate their surrender...

But in DayZ, if you wound someone and they take cover inside, you have to run to their location to be sure to be able to put them down before they disappear... Which means you run the risk of them getting the jump on you as you enter the building.

If there was a significant disconnect timer and players taking refuge inside knew that if they disconnected there'd be a very high chance they'd loose everything, it would lead to situations where you could pin someone down...

how did the original Arma multiplayer mod handle this issue?

What original arma multiplayer mod? Do you mean just multiplayer in the game before DayZ? It's funny that you should ask that' date=' because it's a good indication of the vastly different playerbase that DayZ has brought to this game. Before DayZ, players like this who exploited the game simply weren't a problem. They didn't exist, aside from the odd hacker. The most popular multiplayer matches were within mature communities on well moderated servers. Disconnecting in a PvP game to avoid dying was simply unheard of. It's also pointless, since you don't have persistent gear like in DayZ. That's really the only motivation for DayZ players; you have gear you don't want to lose.

So, yeah, this isn't/wasn't a problem outside of DayZ.

[/quote']

Haha, so true. What's the point of DCing in a firefight when the point is to fight or die trying because your team needs you to not be an asshat?

I'll admit I've DCed though, but only against Zombies a couple times and after I ran out of ammo and they couldn't get to me which is gay. I figure there is no reason for me to commit suicide just so I can feel good about never DCing. It's still just a game and you shouldn't have baggage after you stop playing.

As for DCing in a firefight? Really man, come on, at least try to run away and then DC.

I've laid out a couple times how I think we can fix this, but it's kinda hard to implement, but I think it's a better suggestion than other ones I've read like "No, no one gets to DC for 10 minutes" or "You can DC but you lose half your gear".

My idea:

You can hit abort but then a timer pops up for 15 seconds (make it more if you feel the need).

If you are bleeding or have a broken bone then you can't DC until you stop the bleeding/mend your bone. After you fix yourself up you can hit abort and the timer will start.

I say this because some people that are all SUPER PVP oriented think that once you spot a guy and then shoot at him that you are some how entitled to X amount of time to kill him.

I say, "No, you should make that first shot count to at least break a leg or make him bleed".

To fix a broken bone or bleeding, a character has to go to one knee and it takes a while to patch up. Any sniper or aggressor worth a damn should be able to finish a target off rather easily if they are defenseless and on one knee.

I think the total DC system needs to be less than a minute and a half even with maximum injuries to patch up. No one wants to sit at a count down timer for 10 minutes or even 5 minutes just because they have to go take a dump or have shit to do.

As for Alt-F4. Honestly, this is just dirty, and I know people with bad internet may object, but I think people doing Alt-F4 outnumber the people with bad internet (oh btw, find a server with a decent ping). If you DC with Alt-F4 or unplugging your connection then yeah, you need to sit out for 30 mins. Sucks for people with bad internet, but to be fair I don't want you dragging servers down anyway. Most people with poor connections just lose connection to the server, not the internet.

I dunno, maybe there is a way to see if a player is connected to ArmA and not just the internet. If they Alt-F4 out of ArmA or lose connection to the main server by dropping internet connection then they get the 30 minute wait time.

I think just implementing the timer system I laid out would solve most of the problems.

Just my opinion, but you shouldn't even DC when your out of ammo and hordes of zombies are chasing you. Take it like a man and get outdone by the infestation.

At the end of the day, the people out there that do DC to avoid, know that they suck at the mod. They understand that they are pussies, and they own up to it by doing so.

Just my opinion' date=' but you shouldn't even DC when your out of ammo and hordes of zombies are chasing you. Take it like a man and get outdone by the infestation.

At the end of the day, the people out there that do DC to avoid, know that they suck at the mod. They understand that they are pussies, and they own up to it by doing so.

[/quote']

Yeah I said they couldn't get to me, like I'm on the roof of the power plant or the hospital and they can't navigate more than one ladder. If I've sat on the roof shooting zombies for 20 minutes and more just keep spawning.

I'm not going to climb down the ladders without ammo or anything just so the zombies can kill me to make myself less "pussylike" on the forums, at least I admit my DCing.

If the game mechanic was fixed where zombies could go up the ladders then I'd die just the same, but I wouldn't feel like I have to feel like an idiot just to make internet-people have a higher opinion of me.

Gah don't get me started. I got shot at by what I thought to be just one player, so I legged it to the top of a building and saw 2, shot and killed one of them. The other dc'd when he saw what happened. The lack of co op I can live with (although I find it disapointing) but this just sucks the fun right out of the mod.

A 30 second period where your character stays in the map after you disconnect would be perfect, 60 seconds is too much.