Iron Man

Performance on MacBook Pro retina

Hi guys,

I'm getting a MacBook pro retina laptop soon and was wondering about the performance I would get in DayZ. Anyone running it on their bootcamped MacBook retina?

I'm thinking maybe high settings?

I'm going for the 2.3ghz quad core ivy bridge CPU

16GB RAM

GeForce 650M 1GB VRAM

256GB SSD

Thanks

IronMan

P.S,

I know, get a PC etc

• Like 1

I have an early 2011 (just before the retina display) running Windows 8 Preview with a 2.3 Intel i5, Intel HD 3000 graphics and 8gb ram. It runs the game at mid to low settings just great. I actually installed Windows on my Mac specifically to play DayZ on my computer (so my gf can join me).

That setup will run just fine.

A Mac for gaming.... hmmm nope. A Mac for anything for that matter NOPE...

OK but seriously... the specs that you listed may run arma 2 well to some extent but play dayz and you will struggle.

OK but seriously... the specs that you listed may run arma 2 well to some extent but play dayz and you will struggle.

Why? The graphics card isn't that bad and it has a new quad core CPU and 16GB of RAM! Is the GPU really that much of an issue?

IronMan

Load of people getting Macs only to install bootcamp, so that they can run Windows to play games. Seriously, get a windows laptop and save yourself £1k for equivalent specced machine in the process. The new retina display Mac's screen is nice, but your not going to be running any modernish game at that resolution on a mobile graphics chipset and high settings. So for gaming its not great.

• Like 3

Load of people getting Macs only to install bootcamp, so that they can run Windows to play games. Seriously, get a windows laptop and save yourself £1k for equivalent specced machine in the process. The new retina display Mac's screen is nice, but your not going to be running any modernish game at that resolution on a mobile graphics chipset and high settings. So for gaming its not great.

Laptops are not gaming machines.

Laptops are not gaming machines.

True to some extent, you can get specific "gaming" laptops that will do a reasonable job. But its border line calling them a laptop unless you like being crushed and having radiated testicles.

If you use windows 7 with bootcamp then it will run pretty well, my brother just got his mac pro 16gb and he plays games like battlefield 3,sky rim etc. and those games run pretty good. people that says macs are bad for gaming have never used a mac I think, I use apple for over 10 years now and for gaming they are not weaker then a pc than runs on windows, in fact the software of apple make better use of the hardware, microsoft and linux doesn't deny this.

Edited by Mezeberelk

in fact the software of apple make better use of the hardware, microsoft and linux doesn't deny this.

Umm if your running bootcamp with Windows, aren't you using Windows? :P

• Like 1

Simjedi, you are right, I'm trying to get rid of the argument that macs are bad for gaming, now games are made standard for windows but if some day they will make them standard for mac then the they will run better. Like the Valve games are also for mac now and they run much better on a mac then on a windows pc with similar specs

Hi guys,

I'm getting a MacBook pro retina laptop soon and was wondering about the performance I would get in DayZ. Anyone running it on their bootcamped MacBook retina?

I'm thinking maybe high settings?

I'm going for the 2.3ghz quad core ivy bridge CPU

16GB RAM

GeForce 650M 1GB VRAM

256GB SSD

Thanks

IronMan

P.S,

I know, get a PC etc

Don't listen to the retards. I have a late 2010 Macbook Pro with a 2.53 GHz (540M) Intel Core i5, 4 GB and Nvidia GeForce 330M with 256 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory, and Windows 7 bootcamped. I can run the game on the lowest settings. You definitely would be able to run the game fine with normal-high settings and decent frame rate.

Why? The graphics card isn't that bad and it has a new quad core CPU and 16GB of RAM! Is the GPU really that much of an issue?

IronMan

Just because it is new doesn't mean it is better or great, though the 3610QM is quite a good chip for a lappy the 650M is well a mobile GPU with only 1GB of memory. Don't expect much from that GPU, perhaps low settings and all what not but... I just don't get it....

You know you want to play games but you want to fork out around £1,799 on a laptop that with its extremely limiting GPU you will end up just having an expensive web browser, seriously... I don't understand you Apple guys, it just doesn't comprehend. Buy yourself an iPad 3 if you want something Apple and spend the other £1,000 on a good gaming PC or even a proper gaming laptop but don't waste it on an over hyped, priced and well to be honest under powered laptop. The only thing those laptops have going for them is their beautiful screen but other than that its pretty crap compared to competitors.

Don't listen to the retards.

Oh?

nd Windows 7 bootcamped. I can run the game on the lowest settings

Boot camped windows and low settings on a laptop built the same year as arma 2... we're the retards?

Edited by Mastiff
  • Like 1

Yea you can definately run the game on that macbook at medium to high settings.

The 650m is very powerful for a laptop gpu, i have almost the same specs and can run dayz with high settings.

Just because it is new doesn't mean it is better or great, though the 3610QM is quite a good chip for a lappy the 650M is well a mobile GPU with only 1GB of memory. Don't expect much from that GPU, perhaps low settings and all what not but... I just don't get it....

You know you want to play games but you want to fork out around £1,799 on a laptop that with its extremely limiting GPU you will end up just having an expensive web browser, seriously... I don't understand you Apple guys, it just doesn't comprehend. Buy yourself an iPad 3 if you want something Apple and spend the other £1,000 on a good gaming PC or even a proper gaming laptop but don't waste it on an over hyped, priced and well to be honest under powered laptop. The only thing those laptops have going for them is their beautiful screen but other than that its pretty crap compared to competitors.

Oh?

Boot camped windows and low settings on a laptop built the same year as arma 2... we're the retards?

Yes, retard, you can read now, you should be proud.

I dont know how the 650m and an i5 ( or is it i7) is 2 Year old hardware...

In fact the new macbook pro is top notch and can run battlefield 3 with that hardware.

Very ignorant people here i have to say..

I dont know how the 650m and an i5 ( or is it i7) is 2 Year old hardware...

In fact the new macbook pro is top notch and can run battlefield 3 with that hardware.

Very ignorant people here i have to say..

I just don't get it.

He is asking if the game would work on the new Macbook retina. Just that, a really simple question for people that own that model of Macbook or a previous one.

And here come all the HURR MAC SUKS mentally challenged individuals to spout how they can build an atomic computer for 600 dollars. That was NOT the question, ffs.

• Like 2

Don't listen to the retards. I have a late 2010 Macbook Pro with a 2.53 GHz (540M) Intel Core i5, 4 GB and Nvidia GeForce 330M with 256 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory, and Windows 7 bootcamped. I can run the game on the lowest settings. You definitely would be able to run the game fine with normal-high settings and decent frame rate.

Least helpful post. I'm not saying Macs aren't good for gaming, I love Macs and was brought up on them, but some people are just unrealistic with Apple products and can't accept that they are designed for a specific purpose and audience.

The retina display Mac in particular won't be a great gaming machine because the display resolution is so high. This is good for photo editing etc. where you don't need results in real time but do care about image quality, but not good for gaming. To put this into perspective, the old mac book resolution required a GPU capable of rendering just over a million pixels, the retina display mac book will need the gpu to render over 5 million pixels if you want to run it at native resolution - it will run on the included chipset, but you'll need something a fair bit beefier (like a desktop GPU) to run the game in high settings at playable frame rates. Having to run a two year old game on a brand new machine at low settings would just be disappointing.

You could run the game at a lower resolution than the native display one, but this will make things look blurred and you might find the game would actually look nicer running natively on a lower res screen.

If your main use is gaming, I would say don't bother with a Mac as you just make it difficult for yourself and end up paying more than you need to. If you've already bought it/Have other uses for it then don't worry you'll still be happy with your purchase as its a quality piece of hardware.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I know, get a PC etc

Read mate. Do you know how to? He IS, let me repeat that for you, HE IS BUYING IT.

Least helpful post. I'm not saying Macs aren't good for gaming, I love Macs and was brought up on them, but some people are just unrealistic with Apple products and can't accept that they are designed for a specific purpose and audience.

The retina display Mac in particular won't be a great gaming machine because the display resolution is so high. This is good for photo editing etc. where you don't need results in real time but do care about image quality, but not good for gaming. To put this into perspective, the old mac book resolution required a GPU capable of rendering just over a million pixels, the retina display mac book will need the gpu to render over 5 million pixels if you want to run it at native resolution - it will run on the included chipset, but you'll need something a fair bit beefier (like a desktop GPU) to run the game in high settings at playable frame rates. Having to run a two year old game on a brand new machine at low settings would just be disappointing.

You could run the game at a lower resolution than the native display one, but this will make things look blurred and you might find the game would actually look nicer running natively on a lower res screen.

If your main use is gaming, I would say don't bother with a Mac as you just make it difficult for yourself and end up paying more than you need to. If you've already bought it/Have other uses for it then don't worry you'll still be happy with your purchase as its a quality piece of hardware.

HE DID NOT ask for your opinion about gaming laptops, did he? I play on a Mac Pro as my previous post explains and with a much crappier GPU, my point is that if I can play he can play. Got it?

lol, this thread is turning into exactly what i didnt want: an argument between Mac users and PC users!

I really just wanted to know how well my new laptop is gonna run dayZ.. im not expecting to max out the settings, and i also dont want to run it in the native res.

I was thinking probably HD res, and hoping i could get High settings for most options? I would really appreciate if anyone has the macbook retina already and could give me a heads up.

And to join in the argument:

To PC users, us mac users know that mac's arent gaming machines.. noone gets a mac as a sole gaming machine. I use my mac for work and dual boot to play some games. If i wanted to buy a machine just for gaming, thats what i would do.

IronMan

Read mate. Do you know how to? He IS, let me repeat that for you, HE IS BUYING IT.

HE DID NOT ask for your opinion about gaming laptops, did he? I play on a Mac Pro as my previous post explains and with a much crappier GPU, my point is that if I can play he can play. Got it?

Lol at the rage. ( a ) He never mentions the word "buy" or "buying", he says he's "getting" which doesn't mean he's already bought it, it might be he's decided to buy one but hasn't put the money down yet. ( b ) It's irrelevant, he did ask if his laptop would be any good for this, so I took time to explain how it would perform relative to other options, rather than just spout inane crap like you. Your laptop does not compare to his laptop in anyway other than name. That's like saying "My Jack Russell will fuck up your Rottweiler because they are both dogs".

Back to the OP, if you want some evidence of what I've said and you are a reasonable person who will take the time to read and understand, and not assume they are always correct, unlike the **** above:

This review has benchmarks for "Stalker Call of Pripyat" running at native on your laptop, which is probably a good comparison to DayZ as its a similar style of game made at a similar time. They got less than 30fps average on medium settings, which isn't great for smooth playability:

http://www.trustedre...d-gaming_Page-4

However, as mentioned you can run the game at less than native resolution and get good results as demonstrated below. This is with BF3 running at a lower resolution but with high settings. However you will have to put up with a slightly blurred appearance due to not being at native resolution (this may well not be too noticeable):

I stand by what I said before, I think you'll still be happy - its a good machine and will play the game, but just not as good as a dedicated gaming machine would.

Edited by tolk

Lol at the rage. ( a ) He never mentions the word "buy" or "buying", he says he's "getting" which doesn't mean he's already bought it, it might be he's decided to buy one but hasn't put the money down yet. ( b ) It's irrelevant, he did ask if his laptop would be any good for this, so I took time to explain how it would perform relative to other options, rather than just spout inane crap like you. Your laptop does not compare to his laptop in anyway other than name. That's like saying "My Jack Russell will fuck up your Rottweiler because they are both dogs".

Back to the OP, if you want some evidence of what I've said and you are a reasonable person who will take the time to read and understand, and not assume they are always correct, unlike the **** above:

This review has benchmarks for "Stalker Call of Pripyat" running at native on your laptop, which is probably a good comparison to DayZ as its a similar style of game made at a similar time. They got less than 30fps average on medium settings, which isn't great for smooth playability:

http://www.trustedre...d-gaming_Page-4

However, as mentioned you can run the game at less than native resolution and get good results as demonstrated below. This is with BF3 running at a lower resolution but with high settings. However you will have to put up with a slightly blurred appearance due to not being at native resolution (this may well not be too noticeable):

I stand by what I said before, I think you'll still be happy - its a good machine and will play the game, but just not as good as a dedicated gaming machine would.

bla bla bla gargle gargle gargle...my god

edit: READ last OPs post, read ffs. He does not give a f*ck about your 'incredible knowledge' of gaming hardware. I guess they don't teach how to read in special needs' schools...

Edited by ArrThePirate