Sign in to follow this  
chefwillis

DayZ Workshop?

It's really a simply suggestion where the devs set up a sort of "content" workshop for fans to submit their own fan-made meshes, textures, and other things for possible implementation into the mod. It won't really require a program, just a dedicated sub-domain or even just a forum thread. Everyone knows DayZ is in alpha and it is moving relatively slow due to a small sized team. The devs current priority is performance and exploits so things like added content such as new meshes and textures and sounds and ambiance are on the back burner and will be for a long while.

My suggestion is that they set up this workshop where fans can improve on DayZ's textures and submit things via an application system for later perusal by the dev team.

-Possible submissions-

Sounds: New infected noises, new ambient music, background noise such as glass breaking in the distance or metal dropping or shuffling of feet.

Meshes: Static meshes for "decoration" to increase the horror aspect of the game such as limbs, damaged zombies(missing legs and such for crawlers, etc..),

Textures: Bloody streets bloody windows with smeared handprints, darker(mood-wise not light) atmosphere, etc..

Animations: Obviously the zombie run animation is very uncharacteristic and Rocket hasn't gotten around to implementing his new customs, maybe you'll submit one that is better.

Other stuff: Whatever the hell you created.

_How to Filter Out Quality From Not_

This is quite simple each submission should require a visual or audio preview for the DayZ community to look at. Each finalized submission will be available for preview and can be voted on by the community to be viewed by the devs. Once a particular submissions reaches something like 200 votes/likes it becomes available in a dev preview section where devs can browse the popular submissions without having to filter through all the white noise submissions. What the devs marked can be marked or favorited by them. If it can be implemented the devs may use your work in the final product!

=A Scarier, Fresher looking DayZ=

Arma 2 is old by today's standards. The Graphics are sub-par when compared to the newer games such as Battlefield 3, MW3, Skyrim, etc... So I think this could be the opportunity the mod needs to maker a crisper and fresh final product.

Please do not post comments about how this won't work or anything of that nature, it's a suggestion not a demand. I am fully aware of the alpha nature and the challenges the dev team is currently concerning themselves with. I don't ask this to be implemented immediately, I merely ask it to be considered for future use.

Post your suggestions and thoughts and give beans if you like and show support! ALSO post some of your work if you have any, it would be cool to see what the community can do.

If you like this suggestion post on the thread to keep it alive, just keep it germane.

Edited by chefwillis
  • Like 16

So many people who I want to give my beans to.

My supply of cans has run out for today, though.

This sounds like a great idea to me!

• Like 1

A few other games I can think ofhave done this and were successful (Minecraft). A few other refused it and were still successful (Terraria). Arma MP is so locked down when it comes to mods that aren't server accepted. So idk, I think its a cool idea from a community aspect.

• Like 1

Awesome idea. Allow the community to be part of the dev process, while allowing the real devs to focus on the serious stuff (glitches, features, etc).

+1 Beans

• Like 1

A few other games I can think ofhave done this and were successful (Minecraft). A few other refused it and were still successful (Terraria). Arma MP is so locked down when it comes to mods that aren't server accepted. So idk, I think its a cool idea from a community aspect.

Well it wouldn't be a problem of MP being locked as it would still be a part of the DayZ mod. I'm not necessarily talking about mods here, I'm talking about content in general to be added onto the mod.

• Like 1

Things like this are exactly what I'm talking about!

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21465-new-zombie-textures/

The community can help out and the dev team only has to port in the new textures!

It would be great to see custom skins, scarier textures, something to give DayZ that apocalyptic feel it sort of misses.

Hopefully Arma 2 will get steamworkshop support, than maybe we can see some of this stuff pop up on there

I suggested this as a forum competition, which i think would work better than an open place, or would atleast inspire more people to try as there is forum glory to win too... such a competition may well benefit from the system you suggest, but then if there isn't an easy system readily available that does this, then the dev's would have to make it, a forum competition means people just upload the files somewhere and show their product with a picture or text... Winners would obviously be picked, and voting can be done using the forum... at the end of the deadline just create a bunch of polls for preselection, then have these polls nr1&2 end up in a final poll and send those to the dev's (though they will likely check them out themselves) and the winner gets forum glory! ... if there is readely available software to do such a thing than it can also be used for the forum competition... so it be a win/win, and that place can keep running and forum goers may keep making stuff if they feel so enclined...

All assets in the meantime could be collected by the dev's or even the forum mods, so that they can all be reviewed, the dev's may be looking for something that we don't know of, while we just vote for cool. So giving the dev's everything easily catagorized is much more important than giving them what 'we' think is coolest!

Edited by L0GIN

I suggested this as a forum competition, which i think would work better than an open place, or would atleast inspire more people to try as there is forum glory to win too... such a competition may well benefit from the system you suggest, but then if there isn't an easy system readily available that does this, then the dev's would have to make it, a forum competition means people just upload the files somewhere and show their product with a picture or text... Winners would obviously be picked, and voting can be done using the forum... at the end of the deadline just create a bunch of polls for preselection, then have these polls nr1&2 end up in a final poll and send those to the dev's (though they will likely check them out themselves) and the winner gets forum glory! ... if there is readely available software to do such a thing than it can also be used for the forum competition... so it be a win/win, and that place can keep running and forum goers may keep making stuff if they feel so enclined...

All assets in the meantime could be collected by the dev's or even the forum mods, so that they can all be reviewed, the dev's may be looking for something that we don't know of, while we just vote for cool. So giving the dev's everything easily catagorized is much more important than giving them what 'we' think is coolest!

Right, the other stuff submitted would of course be available for perusal based on a categorical system, but the popular stuff could always be just on some sort of "hot page". The problem with having it in forums is that there is often too much white noise and it would get annoying trying to view previews of the files or getting the files themselves. I think it would be easier if you could just search for keywords(without getting drowned in irrelevant posts) and if not just browse whatever you see in a list. The problem with competition is that they are rare events that will probably offer no reward other than implementation(rewards would be costly and implementation would happen regardless of web site or forum competition, there would also be a limit on the number of victors thus ruling out potentially excellent content). The devs would have to make such a site or maybe a fan-site could be made.

there would also be a limit on the number of victors thus ruling out potentially excellent content). The devs would have to make such a site or maybe a fan-site could be made.
Why, the winner of the competition gets forum glory, i dunno give them a brown beancolored forum name or something. A custom title 'Golden beancan winner' or w/e ... and ALL the content submitted for the competition is available for implementation, these things are aside from eachother, because who knows, maybe we think A should win the competition because his structure is realy cool or w/e but the Dev team don't like it in their game for some reason... The competition and the Content generated for the game are two seperate things, while concerning the same thing (aka player generated content). Why limit implementation to the winners, and why even gurantee the winners implementation. They won a forum competition, and at best they should get a T-shirt saying: I won the DayZ forum competition and all i got was this louzy t-shirt...
  • Like 1

Why, the winner of the competition gets forum glory, i dunno give them a brown beancolored forum name or something. A custom title 'Golden beancan winner' or w/e ... and ALL the content submitted for the competition is available for implementation, these things are aside from eachother, because who knows, maybe we think A should win the competition because his structure is realy cool or w/e but the Dev team don't like it in their game for some reason... The competition and the Content generated for the game are two seperate things, while concerning the same thing (aka player generated content). Why limit implementation to the winners, and why even gurantee the winners implementation. They won a forum competition, and at best they should get a T-shirt saying: I won the DayZ forum competition and all i got was this louzy t-shirt...

Actually yeah, never really though of that.

In fact you could always do both. Those who get their stuff implemented get a special colored name or a special status name thing like "DayZ Honorary Dev" or something like that. While the competition would help encourage more and more creations to keep coming out!

Good idea.

Remember if you like post you ideas or suggestion to keep this alive. Thanks.