deren93@hotmail.com

Multiple DayZ accounts (useful for shared computers)

Hi,

For those of you interested in having two DayZ accounts on one computer (usually those who share a computer), there is a way to have two DayZ accounts. Using two different steam accounts each of which owning the necessary games should work, and below I will explain how. You can do this with ONE copy of Arma 2: Combined Operations and ONE spare copy of Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead. You do not need two copies of Arma 2 itself as it goes by the CD key of the Operation Arrowhead extension.

It looks complicated, but it's pretty straight forward. If you are unsure on what you are doing, just make sure you do one step at a time.

Instructions

1) Install your first copy of Arma: OA from one steam account (If you already have one working copy, you have done this step)

2) Run "regedit".

kdHKx.png

3) Locate "KEY" from "KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA" (It will be a REG_BINARY type that looks like '00 aa 1b.....', it's covered by a red box in the image in order to protect my account)

lc4ap.png

4) Click on Key to highlight it and File -> Export -> (Save with any name in any location you remember). This will export a copy of the key for your first copy of Arma 2: OA

OacrB.png

CImlL.png

5) Logout of your first Steam Account and Log into the second steam account which has it's own Arma 2: OA installation. (If you are using a disk/hard copy installation, just install the second disk)

6) Launch the Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead game from the second steam account. Close the game once it's fully loaded. That should trigger the seriel key (the one you located above) to change to that of the second copy of the game. However, if the registry key is still the same you will have to uninstall the game completely and reinstall it from the second Steam account in order to change the seriel key.

7) Relocate the registry key from above and, export it again and save it as a new file (If you did step 6 correctly, the registry key will be different to the one you exported in step 4).

8) Each key is a different account. To change the key in the registry, just double click on your saved registry file and the key will change. There will be no need to log in/out of steam if you have changed the key manually by double clicking on the file and accepting the changes. You can repeat this as many times as you like, provided you have enough Arma 2: OA seriel keys. Similarly, you can send your registry files to friends to let them play on your account!

hOJ9p.png

Each different registry key will be a different DayZ account. I recommend using two different steam accounts to be sure both keys are saved (somewhere) just incase. This is a perfect solution for siblings/couples that share computers but would like to have their own DayZ experiences. If you wanted to, for example, access your dayz account from your friends PC, then all you would need to do is open the registry file from the pc you want to log in from (remember to save their key first to avoid hassle!). If you experience any issues, opening steam and launching Arma 2: OA will reset the registry entry with that Steam User's key.

If this helped you, please comment to reassure others and help to keep the topic bumped.

I accept no liability if this didn't work for you, however I spent a while trying to find out how to do this and felt it would help the community if I explained the process to you.

Good luck

Doc

FAQ - Read this before posting for help

Will this work if I am using DLCs?

If you are using DLCs, see this guide by Isaak1989

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/92987-multiple-accounts-and-dlc/

Can I just create a new profile in the Arma 2 menu?

No, otherwise i wouldn't of made this guide - if you do that you will still log in on the same character. Only your name, appearance and saved video/audio settings will change.

Do I have to by Combined Operations again?

You only need to but Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead - the game uses the CD key of that as your player id.

Can I use this to let friends access my account?

Yes, just send them your registry file (if you trust them). Make sure they export their registry key first!

HELP! I lost one of my registry keys!

Reinstall the game from the steam account that owns that key - it will change the key in your registry and you can export it again.

Do I *HAVE* to uninstall and reinstall the game?

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure - that's just the way I did it. Opening the game from another steam account *might* automatically change the key, so might "checking integrity of local cache" - test it and see (and let me know). If you don't know what I'm talking about then just do it the way I said above.

Do I need two installations of the game?

You only need the game installed once. You install it the second time just to get the second regsitry key.

I can't access regedit, why?

Your windows profile needs to be an administrator

I don't use Steam - am I screwed?

No, you can just install the second copy from disk instead of steam - a CD key is a CD key, whether it comes from Steam or a Hard Copy.

Can I use a cracked key?

Seeing as the game uses the CD Key as your player id, I invite you to an intellectual challenge as to why using a cracked CD key would not work! (The answer is no, it wont work)

I've tried everything, but I can't get the registry key to change

Try creating a second Windows account to install the second version of the game on. Once it's installed, grab the registry key and make the file accessible to the first Windows account. Once that's done you can delete the temporarily created Windows account so long as the first account now has the registry key.

Application load error P:0000065432

Try running steam as administrator

Changing steam accounts and loading the game wont change my key automatically

Run Steam as an administrator (Right click->Run as administrator) even if your Windows account is an administrator already.

Edited by DocTolly
  • Like 27

My brother and I share our comp. I would try your idea, but I'm not willing to download Arma through Steam (connection is about 100 kb/s). Right now we just alternate characters after death.

no need to uninstall OA... just sign into other steam account and show cd key for OA and copy to clipboard.

Edited by Orthus

You can do this without steam. You just have to be sure you saved your reg key before uninstalling the game before installing the second copy. The reason I suggest steam is because it will save your key incase you lose it. If you are using hard copies then your key will always be protected as it is saved on the disk. If you lose it you can just reinstall it.

I suggest exporting your current key and saving it as "Player1" in a safe location in your documents. Then uninstall it completely and install the second copy. Then save the new key as "Player2", Then all you would need to do is run the required key, just by double clicking it and pressing OK, before playing loading the game

no need to uninstall OA... just sign into other steam account and show cd key for OA and copy to clipboard.

This will only show the displayable key. You want to have the key installed in your registry to sabe it from it's hex form.

Changing steam accounts and running arma2 before loading dayz *should* change the key. I find it easier just to use the saved keys, however.

• Like 1

so do i NEED to un-install ? as i cant really be bothered with the hassle but if i have to i will, and is it only OA i need to buy twice ?

My brother and I both own Arma 2 : CO and we are able to play on the same computer. The way to change characters is to log into arma 2 : CO via steam on account of the person you wish to switch to. Do not start any of the mods etc, just change player profile to your own and ( may not need to exit out, but thats what I usually do ) exit out. Then use six launcher or dayzcommander to start the game.

If you do not have the game on steam, I believe that you are able to register it on steam using the steam cd-key registration.

Also, steam will show you the cd-key of the game you have installed if you right click on the game in the steam games menu. No need to reg-edit.

If you dont wish to use steam, you can use the reg-edit method still to switch accs. You will be able to find your cd-keys via your game box or your digital download location. so you can skip to the OP's 2nd step, 3rd step then last step directly.

Edited by Kryostat

This saves the hassle of logging in and out between two different steam accounts. The purpose of it is to export both your CD keys so you only have to double click the registry file and confirm the changes in order to "switch" between accounts

This saves the hassle of logging in and out between two different steam accounts. The purpose of it is to export both your CD keys so you only have to double click the registry file and confirm the changes in order to "switch" between accounts

Question: Do you really NEED to uninstall to get the other key if you have the game on two different computers with two different accounts?

Couldn't you just copy the key from the other person's computer and put it on yours? I assume that the goal of the entire process is just getting two seperate keys on one computer.

EDIT: Another question I have is do the characters/profiles from one CD key transfer when you change keys? Would I be playing someone else's character or do you just make a new profile?

Edited by King Midas

Sorry to say.. but this "guide" is unnecessary complex if you use Steam.

The first part is correct: you need to purchase only one copy of arma2, then each copy of the expansion (Operation Arrowhead) for each separate account you want to use.

- Install Arma2 and Operation Arrowhead normally and play it one time;

- Create a separate Steam account;

- Buy Operation Arrowhead expansion (only the expansion) again with this account (You don't need to install it again!);

- Play it one time;

- You finished.

Anytime you want to switch between the two accounts, just login with the Steam account you wish to use and launch Arma2:OA: Steam will take care of updating the correct CD-KEY itself at the A2:OA starting. You only need to export the registry key if you don't use Steam.

I suggest you to create two Arma2 profiles to differentiate the ingame nicknames.

• Like 4

changing the steam account to play or deinstalling oa isn't even necessary

-run oa with the first account and quit the game,go into regedit and export the key into a .reg file

-then change the steam account run oa again, steam changes the key automaticly. quit the game again and export the key as a .reg file

now you have two .reg files. evertime you want to change the character just run the .reg file of the account you want, since dayzcommander or sixlauncher start oa without steam you won't need to change the steam account.

Edited by Isaak1989
  • Like 2

Exporting reg keys, whenever it is easy for experienced users may sounds overcomplicated to a normal PC user.. this is why i suggested to use the separate steam accounts when possible.

@WalkerDown: i can understand that, but then you'd have to run dayz through steam or you'd have to run the game once every time before you could use dayzcommander or the sixlauncher since those two don't trigger steam and the automatic key-switch, at least for me.

• Like 1

Exactly, the 10 minutes you invest in setting this up means all you have to do is double click one file to change accounts instead of logging out/in to steam, opening the game, closing the game, opening a DayZ Launcher etc etc

So, let me get this straight.

If someone were to use my key, would they instantly gain access to my character/items/etc?

@King Midas: i'm not sure, but as you don't need steam to launch oa i guess its possible, if you have the key or .reg file

So, let me get this straight.

If someone were to use my key, would they instantly gain access to my character/items/etc?

Yes, except your character "look" (skin) and nickname, because they depends by your Arma2 profile.

Ok so I tried it. But my brother couldn't play it, after we purchased the second copy of Arma OA on his steam account and tried to open it a message pops up "Error creating Direct3d graphical engine"

:(

Ok so I tried it. But my brother couldn't play it, after we purchased the second copy of Arma OA on his steam account and tried to open it a message pops up "Error creating Direct3d graphical engine"

:(

Hi, I'm sorry it didn't work - but that isn't an issue caused by my guide. You probably need to make sure you have updated to the latest beta patch. This topic might help

Also there is no need to run the game through steam, using something like DayZ commander after opening your desired Registry file is much easier

Edited by DocTolly

I don't see the wow6482 on my computer is it something that is only on PC's since i am playing on a mac using boot camp to play windows please help.

FIXED FIXED

Edited by Rockband

Hello to all! I tried this but it didn't seem to fix it for me.

I'm personally having one computer and two steam accounts both having Arma 2 CO & PMC DLC.

I'm running latest Arma 2 beta patch 95208 and DayZ version 1.7.2.3.

I have made 2 registery files as explained but this doesn't seem to help because even though I change steam

profile and run corresponding regfile I can only log to primary account while secondary account gives me error:

"Failed to load file...\air_pmc.pbo - decryption of headers failed" (I click ok and it continues to game) and after

that "bin config.bin/cfgvehicles/citizen1.scope" (in menu right away). It doesn't actually go selected server at all

but instead stops to main menu.

For me the problem seems to be that even though regedit shows that key is changed it will just change right back to "normal one" linked to steam when I join to a server and Arma2 OA starts.

I found a working fix with a bit more work to do each time I change accout writen by "urbsallday":

I have to manually delete "air_pmc.pbo" from "\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\PMC\Addons" and start steam (with chosen account) after that. When I choose server and join (I'm using DayZ commander) it will download missing file, complite installation and join server afterwards. This doesn't change player profile (name & skin) but works outside that well.

If you know the problem and that I have done something wrong please feel free to point out how to fix this.

Everything worked just fine before I bought PMCs yesterday and now it's actually more annoying to

change accounts than it's nice to see better player models.

The fellow survivor Normad, Friendly

Edited by Normad

Hello to all! I tried this but it didn't seem to fix it for me.

I'm personally having one computer and two steam accounts both having Arma 2 CO & PMC DLC.

I'm running latest Arma 2 beta patch 95208 and DayZ version 1.7.2.3.

I have made 2 registery files as explained but this doesn't seem to help because even though I change steam

profile and run corresponding regfile I can only log to primary account while secondary account gives me error:

"Failed to load file...\air_pmc.pbo - decryption of headers failed" (I click ok and it continues to game) and after

that "bin config.bin/cfgvehicles/citizen1.scope" (in menu right away). It doesn't actually go selected server at all

but instead stops to main menu.

For me the problem seems to be that even though regedit shows that key is changed it will just change right back to "normal one" linked to steam when I join to a server and Arma2 OA starts.

I found a working fix with a bit more work to do each time I change accout writen by "urbsallday":

I have to manually delete "air_pmc.pbo" from "\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\PMC\Addons" and start steam (with chosen account) after that. When I choose server and join (I'm using DayZ commander) it will download missing file, complite installation and join server afterwards. This doesn't change player profile (name & skin) but works outside that well.

If you know the problem and that I have done something wrong please feel free to point out how to fix this.

Everything worked just fine before I bought PMCs yesterday and now it's actually more annoying to

change accounts than it's nice to see better player models.

The fellow survivor Normad, Friendly

I am having the same issue, would love for someone to post a solution.