vector183

Regenerating blood

Okay so, it's really annoying how if I get hit by a zombie, or shot, I have to rely on another person to give me a blood transfusion. I should be able to give myself blood in some way, my idea is that if you are hydrated (your drink/water meter is in the green) you should slowly regenerate blood, because sometimes I like to travel solo but I feel I can't because if I get in a bad situation and need help, I'm screwed.

• Like 4

Everytime you eat something you regenerate blood. Cooked meat will give you 1,000 blood and can goods give you like 100 i think.

800 for cooked food, 200 for canned...

• Like 1

It takes a while to naturally regain blood. Which is why you can donate only so much blood per year. Your plasma and platlets will fill up quickly, but it takes about a month for red cell counts to return to normal. So if blood regenration if ever implemented it should be very, very slowly. Like 1000k ever 30 days.

So if blood regenration if ever implemented it should be very, very slowly. Like 1000k ever 30 days.

So your blood count triples every day? :P

• Like 2

I agree. Realistically, the body does regenerate blood all the time. I don't think eating 5 steaks in a row to gain blood is very authentic. Just being alive and not starving should be enough to slowly regenerate.

Really, though, I think the blood system should get an overlook. Right now it's not just meant to show how much blood your body contains, but how healthy you are. There should be some other system, maybe just text-based alerting you on the fly, like a message around the debug monitor saying for example:

"Your skin feels overly sensitive, it hurts to eat and you are feeling colder and colder",

"Your wound(s) are/is bleeding, and it must be stopped - Blood loss: Insignificant/Bearable/Impairing/Critical/Fatal" or

"Your left arm hurts! Could be a fracture - You are unable to use it" -> "Your arm still hurts after injuring yourself x days ago, still unable to use it".

or just the symptoms, like:

-"Feeling cold"

-"Lower left arm hurts constantly/when moving/when touched"

-"Bleeding slowly/barely/rapidly"

-"Feeling very/somewhat/a little/extremely/moderately weak and nauseous"

-"Feet are hurting"

Alternatively, there could be no UI at all except for "Currently wielding: x tool/weapon" already in place (maybe a little prettier font and more intuitive placement, please? It's your hands, after all), and in the gear menu there could be health indicators (maybe in addition to there being visual non-UI effects like flashing white/red on edges of screen for pain/bleeding, sound effects like coughing and moaning while performing certain moves, and controls misbehaving or suddenly limiting for blood loss, broken bones or muscle-strain, etc).

One gear menu indicator for body temp, one for pain, one for exhaustion, one for blood level, one for the state of internal organs and one for misc. Some of these could be based on a 2D or 3D avatar model (toggle between viewing bones (fractures) / nervous system (pain) / internal organs (diseases and deep injuries) / muscles (exhaustion/strain)). Not as detailed as a doctor's examination or anything, but vague/detailed enough to resemble physical self-insight.

Edited by Athrins

I agree, blood does regenerate over time and so it should here. Even if blood regeneration in reality is a slow process the player does need this avenue.

Not everyone plays with a large group of trusted friends, the only person I bought the game with quit. So I am forced to rely on randoms for blood packs. Seeing as none of these humans have ever attended a single survival course, we're forced to find things like matches or Hunting knifes.... Rely on others to give us blood...

I'm an Ex US Army Soldier and I know how to hunt/create fire and give myself an IV. I think it is unrealistic to assume that these humans wouldn't. They're actively surviving and should learn how to do certain tasks over certain amounts of time.

Lets say the player survives for "X" amount of days. They then learn the ability to give themselves blood bags, or perhaps learn to create fire through friction. Learn to kill a rabbit with the bare hands (I've done this, quick stroke to the back of their neck), simple things that people should know but for some reason don't know how to in this game.

Just a suggestion, from someone who feels like the currently ingame players are mindless sheep

• Like 2

I agree there should be blood regeneration, considering it really does happen in the real world. Also considering that food items giving blood seems like a likely target to get nerfed in the future. Also considering blood transfusions are a lot harder to do in RL than in game - blood has to be your own blood type after all right, and I think they are also really hard just to perform - i.e. blood packs will also be nerfed most likely.

So considering the current methods of getting blood are targets for nerfing in the effort for realism, you really need another system for blood. So, regeneration over time seems to be the answer.

As for recovery speed, I don't know. When you donate blood in RL you are lightheaded for the day, they suggest a friend drives you home. Now I've never donated before, but I think most people are able to drive again in just a day or so.

But in the current state when you get to a certain blood level (usually in early game), you hit 2000 or less and you say "Well, I'm dead. No point to continue. Time to commit suicide, or kill as many zombies as I can if I have a weapon.".

If you add blood regen, players won't be as likely to do that anymore, instead the thought process would be "Ok, I'm really low on blood. Maybe if I lay down somewhere safe, take it easy, I'll be alright." If will give the players more hope and will to survive, which I think is a lot better than a system that makes them say "!@#$ it."

This leads me to another suggestion(not entirely sure if it's already in place or not but). 2000 blood is the magic number where anything less you pass out and die right? Make it so if it's not REALLY low, you can stay alive by "taking it easy". If the player stays at a walking speed (prone, crouch or standing) they won't die; because if I had to guess when you're really low on blood a high heart rate is what will kill you, and if you keep it low you could be alright. Allow players to pass out still, but not die, maybe an extended pass out that can last up to a good night's sleep(8 hours).

Anyway I feel like I'm rambleing, so in a nutshell: Add blood regen, allow players to live between 1000-2000 blood as long as they move slow (or not at all), add a "passed out"/"unconcious" state that lasts an extended period of time (multiple hours, will mean logging out).

For the heck of it, I'll add a little table here...

2000+: Alive, current effects of low blood levels stay.

1500-2000: Alive, player must "take it easy" - if a player moves as much that causes the character to breath heavily will cause death

1000-1500: Alive, extended pass out - lasts until the player reaches 1500 blood (perhaps make it so even if the player logs out, his/her unconscious player remains, leaving him/her vulnerable to players/zombies to end them)

1000-: Death, current process of death for players under 2000, with addition of immediate death if the player causes the character to breath heavily

Just as a sidenote, if for no other reason to change the blood system, I find it disturbing because for some reason I feel extremely nauseated by the bare thought of blood. I don't consider myself a sissy and I didn't know this myself until a few years ago after an accident, but it's pretty hard-coded into my brain and unlikely to change unless I actively expose myself to some extremely bloody situations for several intense weeks or so (to cure the phobia through psychological treatment).

Maybe it adds to the experience to feel about as nauseated as the character itself when low on blood mainly thanks to the loud and rapid heartbeats (but really, the thought of the heart beating/the blood/blood loss is enough), but then I will call for a nerf like a real noob because everyone not suffering from this has an OP advantage over me... emotionally.. I'm sure it affects my performance, too!

Seriously though, could we use a different health-indication system, like in my previous post? For science..?

Edited by Athrins

+1 for slow regeneration. I think there should be a new damage system implemented altogether though as "blood" doesn't suffice. Hopefully in Arma 3 or a stand-alone project they'll explore that.

I think that blood regen needs a rework too. Maybe half power in blood bags, but allow them to be auto applied?

I think we need to add more things that will ENCOURAGE players to help each other out, not more lone wolves than are already out there. You want to play by yourself? Fine, but just like if Z-Day really occured, there would be certain benefits to travelling with a group of people helping each other.

Personally I think there should be an EXTREMELY slow normal regen, but if you eat food that regen goes up for a while. If you eat too much food though you vomit it all back up and you get no regen at all for a while.

I have a few ideas to contribute.

-Blood bags can be applied to self, but heal only 1/4th (3k) blood. Blood bags then have a 1 hour cooldown between uses. (Will not apply when another player administers it to you.)

-You heal 10 blood every minute when you are Prone or Crouch-Walking or not moving at all.

-Add some sort of medicine that allows somewhere around 1-2k blood regen that lasts X minutes on self in hospitals, but is rare.

It would be a good Idea to slowly regain blood though, its not like its a game breaker.

it is a game breaker... its survival not noob bf3.

it should be challenging not waiting for recover.. everyone would run into the forest to regain health before come back to fight.

now you have to make a decision, do i continue and risk a death or do i run and can die anyway ;)

there a enough ways to get blood back... its just not a casual game, which you can hop in and master in 10 minutes.. you need days to get better and better. and thats what i like, what i liked at the old desert combat mod for bf42, you had hardly to learn flying a helicopter.. i miss such things in newer games.

if you want regen health, an easy game, than arma or dayz is not the right one for you. i really hope the devs dont fuck up dayz just because it gets so popular now ;(

I think a self administered blood pack for even 1000-2000 blood seams fair. With no real communication in game, having a friend can be impossible for many players. Also, I think drinks should replenish blood for 50-100 too. Sure with a canteen you could spam drink, but filling them 50 times to replenish 2500-5000 blood would take forever. Or possibly put a time limit on how often you can refill a canteen. Visiting watering holes are generally considered a preys most vulnerable moments of the day. I don't know about you, but a guy hunched over water or a well for 5 minutes seems vulnerable to me. It could easily be argued that it's fluid replenishment not food that restores plasma levels in a human. The only problem with blood over time that I have is, it takes away from the risk-reward aspect of finding loot in the game, and keeping it. Using items seems more inductive to the survivalist aspect of the game.

I don't want the game to become too easy, but some way to heal more effectively would mean getting injured isn't a slow dwindling death sentence. I can't be the only one who spawns only to instantly pull three Zee's and finds themselves at half blood before you can even react. When this happens, I respawn. The game is difficult enough from the start, and being half dead early in the game is usually more trouble than it's worth. Sure bandages are plentiful, but replacing blood can be difficult at times. You need to find a skinning knife, wood, matches, and an animal just to replace blood. And possibly a bigger pack just to hold it all, two inventory slots for wood hurts. Oddly enough, there are many times where one of these things just can't be found for some reason. Cans of food are too scarce and replace far too little blood to be a feasible option for healing.

Edited by moisan4

Technically the blood you regenerate is produced from whatever you ingest in the real world too, it's not magic.

it is a game breaker... its survival not noob bf3.

it should be challenging not waiting for recover.. everyone would run into the forest to regain health before come back to fight.

now you have to make a decision, do i continue and risk a death or do i run and can die anyway ;)

Got to love a jackass who can read a single sentence devoid of any detail, and come up with this load of BS.

Nobody said anything about regenerating 12,000 blood within 15 seconds. The discussion is regenerating at all. Try to be less of a jackass.

Blood regeneration would make a lot more sense than cooking an entire cow, and eating the entire cow to replenish your blood supply (something that eating a lot of food will not actually do ... ). If I had to put a number on it, I would say 2 points of blood regenerated every 10 seconds. Which makes 12 blood per minute, or 720 blood per hour. At this rate, it would take (at the absolute most) about sixteen (16) and a half hours. This means you would not regenerate blood fast enough to make it worth your while to just sit and regenerate - you would still need to seek medical aid for serious injuries.

I would also say this regeneration can only occur if: Both hunger and thirst are green, and you have not taken damage within the last 60 seconds.

Edited by aversionfx
  • Like 1

Blood regeneration would make a lot more sense than cooking an entire cow, and eating the entire cow to replenish your blood supply (something that eating a lot of food will not actually do ... ). If I had to put a number on it, I would say 2 points of blood regenerated every 10 seconds. Which makes 12 blood per minute, or 720 blood per hour. At this rate, it would take (at the absolute most) about sixteen (16) and a half hours. This means you would not regenerate blood fast enough to make it worth your while to just sit and regenerate - you would still need to seek medical aid for serious injuries.

I would also say this regeneration can only occur if: Both hunger and thirst are green, and you have not taken damage within the last 60 seconds.

IMO, if there is a blood regen added to the game, they should remove the instant blood gain you get from eating canned goods/meat...

I feel the best way to implement regenerating blood would be that you don't gain any blood from eating. I mean, what's up with that? Instead, if you keep yourself satiated and hydrated you slowly regenerate blood. If you let your hunger/thirst meters run too low into red, this regeneration will slow, and eventually stop, taking some time before it starts up again. Now this would not be as slow as some people are suggesting, since the metabolism of survivors in DayZ is faster than IRL anyway (look at how often we have to eat and drink). Maybe if you stay well-fed and hydrated you regenerate a couple of hundred blood for every hour of in-game time?

Personally as a lone wolf I would like to see this kind of system implemented. It places more emphasis on not getting hurt and scavenging for supplies (as you would have to eat and drink more often to keep the regeneration going). Blood bags would significantly speed up this regeneration, maybe ten times faster.

Oh, seems like this was here already :P Oh well, I spent at least 4 minutes typing my reply, I'm not gonna let it go unposted! ^_^

IMO, if there is a blood regen added to the game, they should remove the instant blood gain you get from eating canned goods/meat...

Maybe not instant blood regain. I think that should be saved for blood transfusions. I think maybe, however, the act of eating food speeds up your blood regeneration rate for an amount of time, dependent on what you're eating.

Atleast regen blood upto the 5k mark, so your screen isn't stuck greyed out and you are not constantly getting knocked out.

• Like 1

Blood regeneration would suck. It would be so easy.

Maybe rare self-administered blood packs, which provide like 1000 blood.