selfhelp

PLaying DayZ on a Mac

Has anyone been successful playing on a Mac running bootcamp?

• Like 1

yeah, I'v been playing for about a week or so. no real problems so far. well no more than it seems everyone else

• Like 1

yeah, I'v been playing for about a week or so. no real problems so far. well no more than it seems everyone else

Hey buddy you mind making a youtube video on how to get in onto your mac i cant figure it out at all. Thanks in advance.

lol, I dont know why but every time someone mentions playing on their $3000+ mac I get a smile on my face while i play on my $450 laptop on my bed and still get better frames (but when that doesnt do I do go ahead and max out the game on my desktop which is still 3x cheaper than the average mac)

• Like 3

Hey you know I can play day z on my mac highest graphics resolution 2880x1800 fps 60 or more. I dont think your shitty computer can do that can it? You go ahead and install windows 7 via bootcamp and enjoy day z.

lol, I dont know why but every time someone mentions playing on their $3000+ mac I get a smile on my face while i play on my $450 laptop on my bed and still get better frames (but when that doesnt do I do go ahead and max out the game on my desktop which is still 3x cheaper than the average mac)

well i have a laptop i7 8gb ram and have lagg :/

but the good news is is i turned my pc theme into mac :)

it has nothing to do with it but you can still get lagg with the best laptop at the moment

Would any of you mind posting what the specs for your macs are?

i'm wondering if anyone has tried a similar to mine.. i have a early 2009 15" macbook pro with the 2.66GHz Duo, upgraded to 8GB ram

Dude like what the other guy said can u make a video pls sry to bother u :P

Hell I dont even really know what my mac has on it. Got it as part of my school program.

Hey buddy you mind making a youtube video on how to get in onto your mac i cant figure it out at all. Thanks in advance.

sorry I cant help you man, I got my computer from my school with bootcamp already installed, then for getting the game i just followed some direction I found on google.

I don't know why people bitch about what other people play on, I mean really what does it matter to you? I have this computer so I can learn what I need to. Both pc and mac have good and bad points.

well i have a laptop i7 8gb ram and have lagg :/

but the good news is is i turned my pc theme into mac :)

it has nothing to do with it but you can still get lagg with the best laptop at the moment

whats your laptop because cpu and ram dosent matter much if you dont have a good gpu... but yes arma 2 is laggs like a mother fucker.. i have a gtx 670 and have trouble pulling 30 fps

Everytime someone mentions that I paid too much for my Mac, I go ahead and look at my wallet full of hundreds and laugh right back too ;-) Though some people have legitimate reasons for a Mac.

I have early 2011 MBP with 8GB RAM, 2.3ghz i7 quadcore, ATI6750M - I'm lucky to get 20 to 30fps depending on the server and depending on the day. I usually run a lower scale variant of my default res (1920x1200) although the difference in FPS is only 5 to 10 between 1920x1200 and 1280x800... My bootcamp has nothing on it but Arma2, BF3, TeamSpeak (no other programs whatsoever apart from basic install and dependant apps). I also changed my graphics drivers from the default Mac Bootcamp ones (which I find are total garbage). 2009 MBP might be enough but I'm not sure - might want to get a gaming setup for a few hundred - like others have mentioned, it probably will work better.

Search the web for how to install windows 7 via bootcamp (onto a separate hdd preferably if you have a tower), then go to your standard DayZ instal wiki. With bootcamp your are fully booting up in windows, not emulating, so it's like using any other PC windows install.

I'm running DayZ on a 2008 Mac pro tower 8-core 3.2ghz with 4gb of ram and an nvidia gtx 650ti 1gb video card on Win7 64bit. Unfortunately I only average 20-30fps in busy areas of the map, but I think it's b/c I need more RAM. My 4gb is pegged the whole time when I play.

As for the whole "why play on a Mac" or "pc vs Mac" crap, people have their reasons. I'm a die hard windows user but my career demands that I have Final Cut Pro at home which is Mac only software. Why waste money on two computers when I can have a dual boot setup with OSX strictly for video editing and Win7 for everything else?

could anyone do a video on how to play the game on a mac? please??

By the way, while I'm willing to help out with people's questions, you've really got to take a little time to read before begging like a sad puppy dog. I mean, come on...installing windows via bootcamp was mentioned in this thread, and all you have to do is hit up google and/or youtube! It's that easy!

http://www.google.com/search?q=installing+windows+7+bootcamp&aq=f&oq=installing+windows+7+bootcamp&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=windows+7+bootcamp+install&oq=windows+7+bootcamp+install&gs_l=youtube.3..0.837.6638.0.6806.28.20.1.7.7.0.343.2874.11j4j1j4.20.0...0.0...1ac.1.8qQzWtpQ34Y

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3986

do you need to buy window 7?

Yes. You could have easily figured this out by searching google. I'm happy to help you get going in the right direction but I'm not going to hold your hand. :)

Hey you know I can play day z on my mac highest graphics resolution 2880x1800 fps 60 or more. I dont think your shitty computer can do that can it? You go ahead and install windows 7 via bootcamp and enjoy day z.

Good for you bro, Im running with a AMD phennom II X4 black box and dual Geforce GTX 480's (a $500) computer and i get 80 fps in city 90 in the woods, still think that 3k was really worth a apple pos?

And also yes playing on ultra graphics

Edited by Scopeshot

could anyone do a video on how to play the game on a mac? please??

Steps for running DayZ (Steam Version) on Mac OS:

1. Check HDD has 50%+ free space or it may not allow you to make a 2nd partition.

2. Using Bootcamp Assistant (Applications > Utilities), download the Windows support software and burn it to a CD/DVD.

3. Using Bootcamp Assistant, create a new Windows partition (60GB is fine) and install Windows.

4. Boot in Windows (hold Alt/Option key during power on to choose OS) and insert CD/DVD from Step 2 to load Windows drivers for Apple hardware.

5. Install Steam.

6. Download and run ARMA2 : Op Arrowhead once.

7. Install DayZ Commander and follow instructions on FAQ (www.dayzcommander.com) for Steam install.

8. Play DayZ!

Good for you bro, Im running with a AMD phennom II X4 black box and dual Geforce GTX 480's (a $500) computer and i get 80 fps in city 90 in the woods, still think that 3k was really worth a apple pos?

What on earth makes you think he bought a Mac for the express purpose of playing DayZ?

Can your $500 computer run Final Cut Pro, Compressor, & MPEG Streamclip, "bro"? In case you're too dense to figure it out, I need to run that software in my line of work, and it only makes sense to run Windows on the same computer since you can. My Mac is 5 years old so DayZ chugs but I'm sure anyone with a recent Mac pro or MacBook pro could run DayZ pretty smoothly on Win7.

Not everything in life is measured in DayZ FPS, bro (city or woods). STFU if you don't have anything to contribute.

You forget to mention that a single Fermi card sounds like a hair-drier, so 2 must sound like a jet going off.

Not to mention your CPU is utter shit too.

Macs are not a POS, far from it, some of the best hardware you can buy, just because you don't like them doesn't mean that they suck.

Grow up.

If you're bootcamping, it's the EXACT same as doing it on any other computer.

Install arma 2, OA, day z commander (or whatever you use) and start killing ZEDs.

Just an update, I spent some time optimizing Windows and DayZ settings to run better, and as of now I get 45-50fps in the woods and 30+fps in the big cities on servers with less than 35 people or so. On 40+ it's about 35-40fps in the woods and 15-20fps in big cities. Not stellar, but what else do you expect from a 6 year old computer? As stated before I'm running an 8 core Mac Pro desktop 3,1 (early 2008 model) with 4GB Ram and an Nvidia GTX650 Ti video card.

Steps for running DayZ (Steam Version) on Mac OS:

3. Using Bootcamp Assistant, create a new Windows partition (60GB is fine) and install Windows.

I Would have to say if you have more room to spare go for 120 gb. Once you feel the power of PC gaming most likely you will install other titles :)