Kyiara

Stable Update 1.14

4 hours ago, Parazight said:

But it's not all black and white.

Fair points there, my example with cheats was a dumb comparison, so ignore that.

4 hours ago, Parazight said:

players will do everything possible, within the game itself, to achieve their ends.

Still... even now, I don't fully agree with Riddick, although I see his stance more clearly now.

So let's say... what would be a good fix for the logging out abuse/use however you want to call it?
Prolonging the logout timer?
Combat detection system (being shot at gives you X times longer logout for X amount of time)?
Unable to log out if you are in the gas zone (or the gas zone is falling on you)?

I would personally make the logout timer longer (30s - 60s? even more than a minute? idk, just throwing numbers around).
15 seconds to get to safety (logging out) is a really short duration of time for high rewards (not dying) to the threat.

6 hours ago, DefectiveWater said:

I would personally make the logout timer longer (30s - 60s? even more than a minute? idk, just throwing numbers around).
15 seconds to get to safety (logging out) is a really short duration of time for high rewards (not dying) to the threat.

I think that 15 seconds is just right so that you do not disappear into thin air, but if you mange to run away, hide and log off then that's what happened. There is no reason to force the fight, running away is still an option. Prolonging the timer invites danger where there was none. You'll be sitting in a very vulnerable position somewhere and you know very well that even if you cancel you're not immediately ready for action. I've already been in situation where wolves appeared while logging off or another player used this timer to sneak up on someone. DayZ is not exactly a game where you're logging off in a safe spot. 

• Beans 2

5 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

I think that 15 seconds is just right so that you do not disappear into thin air

I feel like 15 seconds isn't enough.
Often times PVP in DayZ happens over a running distance of 15 seconds (usually close to 20-45 seconds WITH full stamina, so gear and weight not taken into account).

Running away or talking it out should be your only options if you aren't able to defend yourself. Not logging off.

And if you happen to be caught in those X seconds logging off, well... kinda your fault.
Player SHOULD ensure that his log off position is as safe as possible, that includes: scanning his surroundings to make sure nobody sees you, and finding a hidden spot that's safe.
Unless something wacky happens like you said, wolves appearing (they just spawned?) while logging off, but that should be it's own issue, not a logging off issue. Fix the wolf spawn then.

While we are at it, it would be nice if they fixed logging in X-ray issue.

Edited by DefectiveWater

56 minutes ago, DefectiveWater said:

I feel like 15 seconds isn't enough.
Often times PVP in DayZ happens over a running distance of 15 seconds (usually close to 20-45 seconds WITH full stamina, so gear and weight not taken into account).

Running away or talking it out should be your only options if you aren't able to defend yourself. Not logging off.

And if you happen to be caught in those X seconds logging off, well... kinda your fault.
Player SHOULD ensure that his log off position is as safe as possible, that includes: scanning his surroundings to make sure nobody sees you, and finding a hidden spot that's safe.
Unless something wacky happens like you said, wolves appearing (they just spawned?) while logging off, but that should be it's own issue, not a logging off issue. Fix the wolf spawn then.

If you log off once you escape from the fight then it plays no difference if you stayed on the server or not. The other person already cannot find you. You cannot expect people to stay on the server for an hour or whatever, just because some took a shot at them. Most engagement I've been in were either at such a short distance that it makes no sense to attempt a log off, thus this is exactly the type of combat logging that 15 seconds delay prevents, or you get shot at from a distance and you have fairly comfortable time to log off, after you escape/hide, if you want or need to. Let's be real here, if someone just randomly shoots at you and they don't hit you (well), you get away and it's not your fault that they suck. You talk about risk and reward, well, the risk is if you mess up you will not kill your target and they escape. It goes both ways. 

If I want to kill someone, I must count with the possibility that they escape and log off. They are prevented from immediate combat logging but otherwise they are free to go once they escape my reach. 

You are never safe in DayZ, there is always someone or something nearby 😉 With your reasoning we could never log off, but if you introduce a minute or longer log-off timer then it really is not your fault that someone uses that opportunity. This isn't someone chasing you and catching up to you. This is someone walking into the building maybe not even knowing you're there and having a significant advantage just because of an arbitrary timer. Timer that restarts every time you cancel and want to log-off again. 

Edited by William Sternritter
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

If you log off once you escape from the fight then it plays no difference if you stayed on the server or not.

But we aren't talking about a situation where we escaped, or at least I'm not... we talked about logging off at the first instance of a threat, NOT running away, hiding and then logging off.
Riddick mentioned that he could just log off once he get's gas bombed, he said: "Now, with the gas bombings, I won't waste my time risking death trying to escape, I'll start jump servers for that too ..." 

So in this context there's 0 mention about running away.

but if you introduce a minute or longer log-off timer then it really is not your fault that someone uses that opportunity.

So let's make it not a minute then? I was just throwing numbers around anyway, I'm for 30-45 seconds.

No target dummies were harmed in these 2 videos, only camo building walls (use your imagination that the player is inside at the top room, or somewhere inside...).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-6eWdDpTo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrF7UcmU93M

These two tests are pretty much your typical distance for Mosin shots, if you ask me.

In first test of mine it took ~34 seconds from the point when the player starts running, to the point player starts opening the top door in the camo building.
In the second test, it took ~20 seconds to get to the top door in the camo building (forgot to close the door in the second test...)

In both instances, 15 second log off timer would be more than enough to successfully log off, but 30 second log off timer would probably be a better choice.

Point is... I think longer log off timer is necessary. Maybe after player clicks exit, his character should get into laying down position, instead of sitting?

EDIT:
But if we want to eliminate logging off as a way to escape gas bombing, my suggestion is to make the bombing quicker, now there's like a minute or so since the flare?
So we make bombing a bit quicker... idk 45 seconds? and logging out a bit longer, idk... 30 seconds?
In that way, a player won't be 100% safe if he logs out too late. Still kinda cheesy, but anyway... better than only 15 seconds.

Or remove logging off if you log off too late and if you are in the soon to become gas zone? idk... Maybe all of this isn't necessary, just voicing my opinion.

Edited by DefectiveWater

1 hour ago, DefectiveWater said:

But we aren't talking about a situation where we escaped, or at least I'm not... we talked about logging off at the first instance of a threat, NOT running away, hiding and then logging off.
Riddick mentioned that he could just log off once he get's gas bombed, he said: "Now, with the gas bombings, I won't waste my time risking death trying to escape, I'll start jump servers for that too ..." 

So in this context there's 0 mention about running away.

From the gas maybe, I guess you can take the few cuts that you get during 15 seconds but frankly ... try it for yourself and tell me if it is a good idea instead of just running out of the cloud. As I said if it would be a combat situation, getting into the log off timer just kills you instantly. You're frozen in one spot, even if you quit the game your character stays on the server. So again, immediate combat logging is prevented. 

1 hour ago, DefectiveWater said:

So let's make it not a minute then? I was just throwing numbers around anyway, I'm for 30-45 seconds.

No target dummies were harmed in these 2 videos, only camo building walls (use your imagination that the player is inside at the top room, or somewhere inside...).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-6eWdDpTo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrF7UcmU93M

These two tests are pretty much your typical distance for Mosin shots, if you ask me.

In first test of mine it took ~34 seconds from the point when the player starts running, to the point player starts opening the top door in the camo building.
In the second test, it took ~20 seconds to get to the top door in the camo building (forgot to close the door in the second test...)

In both instances, 15 second log off timer would be more than enough to successfully log off, but 30 second log off timer would probably be a better choice.

Point is... I think longer log off timer is necessary. Maybe after player clicks exit, his character should get into laying down position, instead of sitting?

Here, allow me to present a counter example and a few notes. Target dummy was very much harmed, shot at 400 meters with a Mosin.  Spoiler alert, the guy does not get up afterwards  https://youtu.be/1mUlb84Y91c  There was no reason whatsoever for me to get up and start running towards the body. I further observed and if he would get up, well, he would get another bullet.

From the distances you demonstrated, with a Mosin, the guy is dead. In case the person is uncon, also unlikely to get up and log off in 15 seconds. But again in my opinion it comes back to if you're not sure about it, don't take the shot. You need to account for need of follow up shots and your own situation. I don't want to be the what if brigade, but there are several elements in the situation that you presented and I would simply not base conclusions on one person's strong urge to log off 🙂 

• Beans 1

23 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

From the distances you demonstrated, with a Mosin, the guy is dead.

If you don't miss*... I forgot to mention that, but otherwise you are right. Shot with a mosin means death or uncon. Or Uncon and then death, double tap everytime.

15 seconds isn't a deal breaker for me tbh, but I feel like it should be 30.

Tbh... I haven't witnessed any combat logging in my 600? hours or so, not saying it didn't happen, I'm just unsure if it happened.
My suggestions were only a part of the solution to the issue that Riddick mentioned, and that is: "why not just log off before the gas bombing?", although I mostly used combat logging as examples, but increased log off timer would have an effect on gas zones too.

Edited by DefectiveWater

I had a situation where our group encountered a hostile situation. It was called out: "Enemies infront, 300 yards!!" 

"a; Yeah i got shot...  b; Yup im dead too c; yeah same here. a; Sal you too? Sal; no im still alive! b; where did they came from? Sal; i dont know, i logged out!! 

a, b, c; 🤔🤦‍♂️ 

Granted he never was good at the game, nor any game really. 

Sal was a survivor. 

While the rest of you were getting your arses blown away Sal was disappearing, like he was never there.

the-s-impsons-bush.gif

• Haha 1

It is incredible now that there is no balanced night vision in the game, nor can it be played at night because a few have a great advantage knowing that it is very unlikely that the enemy will also have it and they go out to kill quietly, and nobody will go out for a walk. the field with a flashlight or torch because it is an easy target. I badly spent my "Argentine inflation" money on this game because it was fun but they ruined the game with gas and night vision can no longer be set up anywhere because bombs are falling, it is no longer fun to uninstall.

• Beans 1

Update 1.14 Patch 1: Version 1.14.154258 (Released on 19.10.2021)

GAME

FIXED

• Contaminated area safe position was located in a rock on Chernarus

SERVER

• Fixed: An error was thrown when specifying no PPERequesterType is cfgEffectArea

MODDING

• Fixed: Effect areas personal particles needed ContaminatedTrigger to work

My resolution 2560x1080 (21:9) 29.5 inch

Picture not optimal. The logo of the loading screen is stretched, things that I point to with the mouse, their description is behind the screen.

12 minutes ago, olyeller said:

no notes for this morning's update?  o.O

and the version number on the executable didn't change. it's still 1.14.154258

47 minutes ago, helpthedeadwalk said:

and the version number on the executable didn't change. it's still 1.14.154258

Yeah, but there were a few pbo updates (5/7) in the dta folder...?

Just curious what changed or what bug was fixed?

32 minutes ago, olyeller said:

Yeah, but there were a few pbo updates (5/7) in the dta folder...?

Just curious what changed or what bug was fixed?

A minor change to the Halloween event so that the flies don't appear that frequently any more.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ImpulZ said:

A minor change to the Halloween event so that the flies don't appear that frequently any more.

Thank you 🙂👍

A bit of clarity and humility regarding my last post about the Halloween Update being more trouble than it's worth....

My default "rant" is usually to blame the Dev Team for their seemingly poor QA prior to releasing patches, Updates, Content...and in the past few years this would be a common post on the forums as everyone generally was pretty exhausted by the lack of progress the game was making.

When the less than stellar "1.0" launch happened we all thought this game had finally bit the dust, and yet, the Team pulled it out of the fire and have mostly smoothed out the game and have provided enough content that the original game scope is being reflected.

This was by no means an easy task, as I'm sure there were some pretty weird dynamics within the studios between the EA 0.144 and 0.63 builds. The messaging was the real issue, in my opinion... as it was extremely hard to believe any news coming out of the Studio due to an almost perfect track record of not meeting deadlines or delivering on their content.

I know that the dedicated fans of the SA were no help, of course...as we had so many hours invested in a vision of the game that was just not where it "should" have been...had we listened to the press releases. It seems that the message was received loud and clear and the Team are providing accurate and realistic communications to the fanbase as well as maintaining a steady course forward for the title.

I personally left the Forums when I felt there was more to criticize than there was to compliment and it grew tiresome to constantly see others equally (or much more intensely) outraged that the Standalone had not magically become a perfectly polished game by year 8. 😉

I firmly maintain that I had the right to be critical and the authority to be nasty at times, as it was the easiest way to echo my personal frustrations regarding the glacier pace of improvements from one build to the next.

My own comments were not directed to anyone in general for the most part, but without hearing from the Dev Team in person we were given contradictory and often downright misleading information regarding the status of certain fixes, patches, content additions, build releases, etc.

I switched off the Forums and focused instead on working with what we had. When Community Servers were finally going...and the Mod community kicked in to high gear, everything changed. It was the single greatest step for BI since Dean Halls' keynote reveal for the Standalone. It created a "buffer" between the true Vanilla builds and the "dream" game we all wanted from the outset. It allowed those who had grown disillusioned with the lack of content and polish within the game to enjoy the DayZ experience in ways that showed just how epic the adventures could be, once the hurdles had been overcome.

This was my way of keeping the faith and I honestly still love this game, dearly. I count on it for my "IRL switch-off" time and  continue to be amused, spooked, and immersed in this game even after 6000 hours.

It truly StandsAlone for me. 🙂

I commented that the Dev Team were "less than mature" in their decision to implement special content builds for holiday times and wished they would stay on task towards delivering more authentic content.

I should give them credit, instead, for having their act together enough that they can now do things like this without it impacting parallel tasks and deliverables. It shows me that the processes in place at the Studio are, indeed, working....and it time for me to let the pain go!

Thanks Team. Been here since the Mod, and have not regretted any of the journey.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 10/10/2021 at 6:23 PM, Parazight said:

But there is nothing that BI can do to make a game that is challenging and marketable in a simple sandbox.  There has to be a player element.  Further, you can't separate the other players from the game.  And with other players, it immediately becomes the foremost threat out there.  The mere existence of other players makes it a pvp game.  You can't avoid this.  B.I. can't prevent this.  The most immediate problem will be players/griefers and this factor will dominate over all of the others.   This was never meant to be a pve game. This is how it has been since the beginning.   You bought the game under false pretense.  

And where is this written?
The "substance" of DayZ, which you see and read everywhere, is that you have to survive a pandemic ... ERGO ... the "official enemy" is the disease and the infected. The fact that there are humans who kill you to steal, for sport or to "vent their IRL frustrations" is NOT the "aim" of the game, but a secondary fact, that the B.I. it could (in my opinion should) be at a disadvantage by stopping to fill this game with military weapons of special use (sniper weapons) and by stopping to make other guns "RARE" favoring a few players (clan, lucky or cheaters) to the detriment of all the others ...
More and more thing with the NVGs, which are used by everyone NOT to kill, but also only for daily night activities.
When you organize a game favoring very few (and not just "legitimate" players) at the expense of ALL others, this is NOT a balanced game, and the direction is that of a war FPS, not a "pandemic survival". .. what I remember is the official substance of the game!
And sadly, after reading this forum (and the Steam one) a lot, I'm afraid a good majority of gamers want just that. Probably due to the lack of balance between players, compared to the "classic" war FPS, where you start with all the default equipment. In DayZ the "imbalance" between players is expected and increasingly favored ... and NOT because you just have to find the stuff... search for objects is the substance of DayZ (I hate "traders", one of the reasons why I don't play on modded servers ), but because the spawn is badly done and too unbalanced!
This causes great disparities between players and is one of the most appreciated things in those who enjoy "harassing the weaker", those who "like to win easy" ... like those who gear up and go and kill the bambi on the coast, just to give a classic example.
The B.I. it should "disfavour" these behaviors, and they could do it ... but they do the opposite.
And on the "trouble" of this game, the forum is full (and also too little)

I don't want to quote everything, but just specify a few things "in general" about:
"Disconnect at the first problem (gas)"
and
"Disconnect to escape combat"

1) "Disconnect at the first problem (gas)"
Meanwhile, "someone" should think that he is wrong "to measure everything and everyone on his arm". We are not all made of the same mold and we all have the right to play if we don't break any rules.
Having clarified this...
I do NOT play to kill others. I am NOT looking for a vest with plates, special weapons and I do not try to stay "light" to be able to run and engage in fights better (I should do it for defense, but I just can't do it).
I look for the most capacious clothing and equipment, I look for all the equipment to defend myself and survive... and precisely because DayZ is a game where I have to find what you need and you don't always find it... and since the system of DayZ loot is BROKEN... I always have to carry everything I can, because I already know that when I need it I may NOT find it for several days.
For these reasons I always wander full and with stamina to a minimum (and even less).
In these conditions I no longer have any useful runs (except with epinephrine, which however does not last long).
In case of a gas attack, if I am not yet at the edge of the cloud (which is difficult, since what I am looking for is always well inside the cloud), I do NOT have the possibility to escape: I am automatically dead.
According to some, I should let myself die for some "abstruse" "moral / ethical" principle of play?
Are you kidding?
Maybe even in a city with rooms and doors to open, streets with infected to cross, and maybe other players in the surrounding area as well?
In this case, probably, not even if you were a child with almost complete stamina.
If I am in one of these situations and I hear the cannon shot, I DISCONNECT IMMEDIATELY... and I hope I can!
Is this "bad"?
Isn't this "ethical / moral"?
They seem to me to be very stupid evaluations.
But there is also the following point which will clarify better.

2) "Disconnect to escape combat"
Here, hearing these statements remind me of the countless discussions I've had on Battlefield against those who complained about "campers" (or noob just because you used a shotgun, bipod, claymore, FLIR, etc ...)
Apart from the specific answer I gave in Battlefield that they are not the specific topic in this case (traps and ambushes are the basic tactics of any war)... but it always remains a generic concept that applies to EVERY GAME.
I bought this game to entertain me, NOT the others!
I am NOT anyone's "babysitter", nor anyone's caregiver.
As long as I DO NOT break any rules I have the sacrosanct right to play as I see fit without owing anyone anything!
As long as I use the mechanics provided by the game (NOT glithc or bug) I have the sacred right to do EVERYTHING that is foreseen by the game without owing anything to anyone!
The only true ethics in a game is "following its rules", those decided by the seller and which you signed up for when you bought it!
Following them is ethical/right, breaking them is wrong. POINT !
Everything else is at "individual discretion".
Rather...
Who elevates himself, with his own and personal ideas that go beyond the official rules of the game, to a "healthy bearer" of "just and moral ethics" and demands that all the others adapt or are "ugly and bad people" ... well, it just seems to me that a bit arrogant attitude.

Oh really....I don t think the devs fixed this corruped data issue. I ve already tryed absolutly every fix and nothing works. I get max 5-10 sekunds to any servers in and pops up guess what...Good old corrupted data error.

I m so sick already about this Battleye shit!!! Just end this stupid parnership with Battleye and get the better solution to fix your stupid bugs. 

And also, I ve already sent 2 messages to support. 2 weeks no respond. Nice klients taking care!!! I m so pised offf of you!!!! Any people who wants to buy it... just don t buy it... Ya save your nerves.