Kyiara

Experimental Update 1.12 (Changelog)

2 hours ago, 'AZAZEL' said:

Depends. If I could attach a flashlight to my backpack by default like you can do with the MunghardsItempack mod, I would certainly play more at night.

As stated above, that's not how handheld flashlights work, you have head torches for that purpose in the game. It take a different type of flashlight and even then, from experience, it is not a good solution. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

you have head torches for that purpose in the game.

That's why I told you that it's a lose-lose to play at night if you have decent gear.

I ain't gonna trade my military helmet for some head torch making me even more vulnerable when it comes to protection, not even mentioning it's not even an option on servers that has a Namalsk-type weather... you just get cold due to bad insulation.

Edited by 'AZAZEL'

16 minutes ago, 'AZAZEL' said:

That's why I told you that it's a lose-lose to play at night if you have decent gear.

I ain't gonna trade my military helmet for some head torch making me even more vulnerable when it comes to protection, not even mentioning it's not even an option on servers that has a Namalsk-type weather... you just get cold due to bad insulation.

The fact that cold weather was implemented but headtorch still cannot be worn over a head peace is very sad indeed. 

However; if this is your reason for not playing at night ... well ... 😄 

Edited by William Sternritter

10 hours ago, 'AZAZEL' said:

I think the biggest problem is there’s actually no real incentive to play at night, aside from atmosphere. 

But you’re only at a disadvantage, especially if you don’t have NVGs. There’s no upside. No special events, no chances for better gear, no different enemies, nothing. I get why people log. There needs to be some incentive to deal with night time otherwise what’s the point? Why not just wait an hour or two? Especially with lighting being as buggy as it is. 

That’s kind of the big underlying problem with where DayZ is at right now; and why Mods are so popular, There’s no incentive to do the “harder” or End Game stuff.

Nighttime? What’s the point?

Military Bases? Is it worth the trek when all you’re likely going to find is a tactical vest and an SKS or a hand guards for guns you don’t have?

Cars? They can take hours to build, better hope it doesn’t skyrocket on you.

Base building? Want to build a decent structure that fortifies an area? It will take hours to gather all the materials and tools, and it can be dismantled in minutes.

There’s a huge imbalance with the time/cost the game requires you to sink into activities beyond the standard gameplay loop, vs. how easily these things can be rendered useless. It’s not just the permadeath nature of the game; it’s basic core features that have no real sense or balance or investment. Even the character has no attachment beyond gear. Soft skills are useless, 

Players don’t engage beyond PVP often because...what’s the point? What are you really missing out on? It’s frustrating.  

• Haha 1

@thepoey I think it comes down to the current lackluster implementation of night time and night light. We need more variations like we used to have, where nights would realistically be brighter or darker depending on the moon phase.

But it's not true that there is nothing to playing at night. Awareness of infected is much much lower, especially with tougher infected this does provide a considerable advantage. Same goes for PVP, everyone's vision is limited. 

Regarding "end game", maybe people should change the mindset that there has to be an "end game" in form of an ultimate item, base or whatever. The game is about survival. Normally I would say that we need more advanced stuff in the game. Lot has been said about the health system, more advanced modes of transport, infected behavior etc. Yet, at this point in time and where DayZ seems to be headed with "balancing" I don't feel that adding more advanced elements like planes will make any sense at all. Because it would either be something like it is in the mods, and well ... we have the mods. For me, when it's the same mechanics as cars but with different dashboard it makes very little sense and I have to ask, what is the point of that? 

If there should be a fairly realistic implementation of say planes, I feel that people who go with this "end game" mentality would never understand that while a small plane is easy to get started, it still takes a lot of practice to fly properly. Ditto for helicopters, I cannot imagine even a simple helicopter in the game, let alone something like an Mi-8. All of that requires patience, at minimum tens of hours to get familiar with and you can lose it in a manner of seconds if you're not careful. And still, due to the nature of DayZ being a game and not real life, you know that this is really just another means of transport. You can't make the helicopter your mobile base or something like that. It's big, it's loud, other people will find it or shoot it down in flight etc.. 

That being said, people should perhaps treat DayZ as a rouge-like because the only thing that is certain is your death and it may come at any time. Maybe DayZ will move away from that and offer people this kind of security of permanent bases and "end game" but until it does ... there is no end game beyond survival. 

Edited by William Sternritter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thepoey said:

But you’re only at a disadvantage, especially if you don’t have NVGs. There’s no upside. No special events, no chances for better gear, no different enemies, nothing. I get why people log. There needs to be some incentive to deal with night time otherwise what’s the point? Why not just wait an hour or two? Especially with lighting being as buggy as it is. 

To me that is the incentive actually. Knowing most pewpew players log at night, it's my opportunity to sneak into towns or mil bases to loot under cover of darkness. I don't even need nightvision - that green blur actually makes me nauseous I prefer to go without it. It is perfectly possible to navigate, avoid infected and loot without using light sources, I'll keep a chemlight in my pockets to make quick flashes so as not to miss stuff on the floor.

13 hours ago, 'AZAZEL' said:

The headtorch needs to be changed to go into the glasses slot, just like the nvg headstrap. Why they won't do that I just don't understand. There's a mod for that obviously - I wouldn't run a server without it - but it should be a vanilla thing. It doesn't even cause any more visual weirdness than the nvgs - plus the balaclavas and ski-masks clip a helluvalot more and the devs seem to be fine with that...

50 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

@thepoey I think it comes down to the current lackluster implementation of night time and night light. We need more variations like we used to have, where nights would realistically be brighter or darker depending on the moon phase.

That's another thing I don't understand. Base problem - if I have understood Sumrak's explanation right - is that the moon actually doesn't affect the ambient brightness level at all. The only thing the moon does is basically painting shadows, so when there is no moon the night is actually perceived as brighter, since there are no shadows being cast. But I have never seen an explanation why they won't just fake it, by making the ambient brightness level vary according to weather and moon phase, so full moon + cloudless sky = bright night setting and overcast & rain + new moon (or moon below horizon) = pitch black night setting. And dynamically changing between those extremes depending on weather and moon phase & position.

That way there would be no need to have different night settings, and although it would be "fake" it would feel much more real than the current setup. As it is, the bright nights are too bright most of the time while the dark nights are unrealistically dark when the moon is out. Seeing a full moon in the sky but barely any light reflected on the ground pisses me off, it is utterly unrealistic.

50 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

Regarding "end game", maybe people should change the mindset that there has to be an "end game" in form of an ultimate item, base or whatever. The game is about survival. Normally I would say that we need more advanced stuff in the game. Lot has been said about the health system, more advanced modes of transport, infected behavior etc. Yet, at this point in time and where DayZ seems to be headed with "balancing" I don't feel that adding more advanced elements like planes will make any sense at all. Because it would either be something like it is in the mods, and well ... we have the mods. For me, when it's the same mechanics as cars but with different dashboard it makes very little sense and I have to ask, what is the point of that? 

Root of the problem here. In a sandbox survival game with no objectives and no missions, there is no such thing as "endgame". You survive until you die, that's it. Whatever happens in between is what players make of it. Some form factions, build bases and harass other players, some get gunz and shoot anything that moves, some sneak around in the woods and live off the land. That's all the endgame there is, and this cannot really change without completely shifting the core of the game. Add flying vehicles? On a map little bigger than a wall-mart parking lot that makes zero sense, once we have maps ten times the size of Chernarus flying vehicles will become something that can play a role. As of now you can cross the entire map in 15 minutes in a damn Sarka... (I realise helis can be fun to fight over, but I'd personally prefer that they remain on modded servers only, there is no need for them in vanilla DayZ.)

2 hours ago, thepoey said:

Base building? Want to build a decent structure that fortifies an area? It will take hours to gather all the materials and tools, and it can be dismantled in minutes.

There’s a huge imbalance with the time/cost the game requires you to sink into activities beyond the standard gameplay loop, vs. how easily these things can be rendered useless. It’s not just the permadeath nature of the game; it’s basic core features that have no real sense or balance or investment. Even the character has no attachment beyond gear. Soft skills are useless, 

Players don’t engage beyond PVP often because...what’s the point? What are you really missing out on? It’s frustrating.  

I think that is something that will never be possible to balance perfectly in the vanilla game, or at least not on public servers. The shared hive makes the loot economy pointless and if some clan has dug down where you wanted to go you can just server hop and make that run on some server where it is easier. They can't make bases too durable or the servers will be full of bases, both active and abandoned, and performance of official servers would become even worse.

So, to get a consistent "endgame" loop community servers is the only way to go. I would never ever waste a second of my time building a fence on the public hive. Never.

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 1
  • Beans 2

I like the Night. Easier travelling. Atmosphere. The need to use stuff that's in the game. 

Just awesome to see people roaming with light sources.

There shouldnt be An incentive to play at Night. There should be some sort of penalty for logging out at Night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, McWendy said:

There shouldnt be An incentive to play at Night. There should be some sort of penalty for logging out at Night. 

Their penalty is that they don't get the stuff you take when they're away. Really, that many players log off at night is not an issue - to me it is an opportunity. Heck it is even realistic, most people lock their doors and sleep the dark away - and in a post apocalyptic world with brain-munching infected roaming the streets I'd wager it would be even more so...

Sometimes I loot at night, sometimes I do inventory tetris in my camp, make a fire to cook a deer or stand fishing in the dark listening to the night. DayZ nights are great - apart from the lighting (I whinged about that in the post above...).

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

13 minutes ago, McWendy said:

I like the Night. Easier travelling. Atmosphere. The need to use stuff that's in the game. 

Just awesome to see people roaming with light sources.

It should be the other way round...make nightplay more rewarding and immersive (fun) 🙂  Simply reduce zeds visual sensors when its dark and make them ignore torchlights ( like in the mod). Add some immersion by adding flamable oil barrels and some working and flickering streetlamps here and there (also like in the mod)....

7 minutes ago, Private Evans said:

It should be the other way round...make nightplay more rewarding and immersive (fun) 🙂  Simply reduce zeds visual sensors when its dark and make them ignore torchlights ( like in the mod). Add some immersion by adding flamable oil barrels and some working and flickering streetlamps here and there (also like in the mod)....

I'm pretty sure they ignore all light sources - although they really should react to torchlight, the only thing they react to is sounds. But they seem to have perfect night vision which is frustrating when you yourself can't see your own feet...

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, Derleth said:

But they seem to have perfect night vision which is frustrating when you yourself can't see your own feet...

Yeah... my biggest gripe of dark nights.

Somehow it's fine that I literally can't see sh-, but zeds can see me?

irymzVq.png

This is a screenshot from one of the known servers (you probably know which one). I literally just spawned and all I see is pitch black. Nothing but pitch black, it get's even worse when it's raining.
The only reason why I don't go to bright nights is because I mostly prefer 1PP no crosshair servers, but those have dark nights too.

Zeds should be practically useless unless you go running around with a light (turning it off should hide you from the zeds), they should follow sounds, but not aggro (if it's really really dark).

Now add to this mix that lights disappear after 100 meters when you scope in/zoom in. Known issue that has been reported ages ago, and still isn't solved: https://feedback.bistudio.com/T146356 Scroll down, 2 screenshots by JerryK, that's the issue that plagues EVERY lightsource.

Dark nights are really just badly made but it's "hardcore" so nobody complained until recently. Instead of tweaking PERFECT GUN SOUNDS, they could've tweaked the nights... something that is actually important and isn't working as intended (more than half a server leaving isn't something you can brag about as working as intended).

Nights should be: easy, almost risk-free way of going through towns when it comes to zeds, so long as you don't have a light on you, they shouldn't aggro. If I'm blind, so should they be, they are humans after all.
No... I shouldn't be required to crouch everywhere DURING NIGHT TIME to avoid zeds.
Another thing is that nights should maybe be brighter, but not as bright as the "bright" nights in non-hardcore servers. Forests should be darker than open fields, but in this screenshot I posted up top you can see that literally everything is pitch black.
Yes, it's cloudy, yes, it's night time, but it's not fun to play in literal pitch black 99% of the time when it's night time... and what was Bohemia's bandaid solution long time ago? Personal ambient light... Instead of tweaking light in general.

Edited by DefectiveWater

PC Experimental 1.12 Update 7: Version 1.12.153904 (Released on 04.05.2021)

NOTES

• Consider using the Steam client option to verify the integrity of the local game cache to avoid corrupted data after downloading this update.
  • Consider de-fragmenting your HDD after downloading large updates.
  • In case of problems, please check the Bohemia Interactive support F.A.Q., DayZ F.A.Q., or BattlEye F.A.Q.
  • You can help us to further improve the game by posting your feedback on the Feedback Tracker.

GAME

FIXED

• Fixed a game crash related to ammunition types
  • Tents inventories were accessible from outside
  • Heavy hit and immediate fall into unconscious caused iron sights offset, requiring a restart of the game

CHANGED

• Temporarily disabled the Eggsperimental Capsule
  • Increased the audible range of assault rifles to 2.5 km
  • Increased the audible range of sniper rifles to 3.5 km
  • increased the audibility of pistol shots up to 800 meters
  • Increased the audibility of SMG and shotgun shots up to 1.4 km
  • Tweaked weapon sound curves
  • Reduced the damage to tools when building/repairing/dismantling base building objects
  • Increased protection of plate carrier vest against the incoming shock and health damage
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Kyiara said:

increased the audibility of pistol shots up to 800 meters

Increased the audibility of SMG and shotgun shots up to 1.4 km

Still bad, old was better.

Pistols should be AT LEAST 1500 (SMGs either the same as pistols, or just a bit more)

Shotguns should be louder than SMGs.

Heavy hit and immediate fall into unconscious caused iron sights offset, requiring a restart of the game

THANK YOU.

Increased protection of plate carrier vest against the incoming shock and health damage

Will have to test it out later. I still worry guns will be too OP (SKS one shotting, CR one shotting, Scout one shotting - overall damage of 5.56 and x39 is too high, but those guns are main outliers), going uncon from a single .308/x54r shot to the legs (causing leg fracture too)

Edited by DefectiveWater

4 hours ago, DefectiveWater said:

I still worry guns will be too OP (SKS one shotting, CR one shotting, Scout one shotting - overall damage of 5.56 and x39 is too high, but those guns are main outliers), going uncon from a single .308/x54r shot to the legs (causing leg fracture too)

I like how strong the guns are, it feels realistic.

• Beans 1

17 minutes ago, Homeschooliazon said:

I like how strong the guns are, it feels realistic.

Fair enough, I just don't think that those intermediate cartridges should do that much damage to unarmored players. Especially by making SKS THAT powerful when AKMs are rare AF.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Derleth said:

To me that is the incentive actually. Knowing most pewpew players log at night, it's my opportunity to sneak into towns or mil bases to loot under cover of darkness. I don't even need nightvision - that green blur actually makes me nauseous I prefer to go without it. It is perfectly possible to navigate, avoid infected and loot without using light sources, I'll keep a chemlight in my pockets to make quick flashes so as not to miss stuff on the floor.

The headtorch needs to be changed to go into the glasses slot, just like the nvg headstrap. Why they won't do that I just don't understand. There's a mod for that obviously - I wouldn't run a server without it - but it should be a vanilla thing. It doesn't even cause any more visual weirdness than the nvgs - plus the balaclavas and ski-masks clip a helluvalot more and the devs seem to be fine with that...

That's another thing I don't understand. Base problem - if I have understood Sumrak's explanation right - is that the moon actually doesn't affect the ambient brightness level at all. The only thing the moon does is basically painting shadows, so when there is no moon the night is actually perceived as brighter, since there are no shadows being cast. But I have never seen an explanation why they won't just fake it, by making the ambient brightness level vary according to weather and moon phase, so full moon + cloudless sky = bright night setting and overcast & rain + new moon (or moon below horizon) = pitch black night setting. And dynamically changing between those extremes depending on weather and moon phase & position.

That way there would be no need to have different night settings, and although it would be "fake" it would feel much more real than the current setup. As it is, the bright nights are too bright most of the time while the dark nights are unrealistically dark when the moon is out. Seeing a full moon in the sky but barely any light reflected on the ground pisses me off, it is utterly unrealistic.

Root of the problem here. In a sandbox survival game with no objectives and no missions, there is no such thing as "endgame". You survive until you die, that's it. Whatever happens in between is what players make of it. Some form factions, build bases and harass other players, some get gunz and shoot anything that moves, some sneak around in the woods and live off the land. That's all the endgame there is, and this cannot really change without completely shifting the core of the game. Add flying vehicles? On a map little bigger than a wall-mart parking lot that makes zero sense, once we have maps ten times the size of Chernarus flying vehicles will become something that can play a role. As of now you can cross the entire map in 15 minutes in a damn Sarka... (I realise helis can be fun to fight over, but I'd personally prefer that they remain on modded servers only, there is no need for them in vanilla DayZ.)

I think that is something that will never be possible to balance perfectly in the vanilla game, or at least not on public servers. The shared hive makes the loot economy pointless and if some clan has dug down where you wanted to go you can just server hop and make that run on some server where it is easier. They can't make bases too durable or the servers will be full of bases, both active and abandoned, and performance of official servers would become even worse.

So, to get a consistent "endgame" loop community servers is the only way to go. I would never ever waste a second of my time building a fence on the public hive. Never.

I mean, I love nighttime, I just wish other people did. It kills the immersion when the sun sets and suddenly 6 people play. All good points though. 

I think when I say "endgame" I think what I really mean is investment. Even now, for most people, your character only has any value relative to what gear they have on them. This is part of why a lot of people stay near the player spawns; if they die, they can more easily potentially "get back to their gear". It's a silly way to play, but it's how a lot of people spend their time, which keeps the more esoteric parts of the maps empty, aside from a few key military bases, if at all. I just wish there was some kind of bigger payoff or investment for having a character alive for a significant period of time. The "open ended" side of the game is fine, it's just that because of balancing issues, a lot of the "stuff you can do" ends up feeling like a waste of time.

Base building I think is really a potentially a key part of this, and you're right, there is an inherent problem with it in terms of how it could impact the loot economy, but I think that's all stuff that can be tweaked. Guns shouldn't be able to fit in crates, things like that. More punishing PVE and more varied threats could also incentive people interacting more., but improving the soft skills system could also go a long way as well.  

Maybe they can finally boost (and create more ) soft skills? 

Spend time away from Spawn areas Will increase resistance/survivability. 

Spend more time at Night increases the sight at Night. Range and/of clarity

Spend time crafting Will increase the state you can get your Gear back to or how long crafting takes.

Cooking> faster and more nutricient meals

Etc obviously the ideas could go on for ever, but you get the gist. 

Doing the Opposite then in fact would decrease such skills. 

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Bohemia, please consider hiring Derleth.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Regarding "end game" ... there is no end game beyond survival. 

Exactly.

As well as moving away from the idea that DayZ is "realistic", we also need to get away from the idea that there's an "end game" in effect here. The only "end game" element involved is the player's death. Your gear is just shit you find, whether that's a bread knife or a FAL. Your base is just a flimsy building that will be found and raided/destroyed. Your car is a mildly distracting time waster. None of these are milestones or achievements in the game. The only achievement anyone can speak of is how long their toon survives.

But, to that end, the survival aspects of the game need to become more difficult - and I don't mean making boots wear out like paper. I think food and hunting for food needs some very serious looking into. At present there are far, far, too many options for a player once your character is past a certain point. So surviving the apocalypse as DayZ envisages it is actually quite a comfortable experience. You cannot walk a thousand yards in Chernarus without hearing the noise of some animal that you can scoff. This is one of the things that needs altering in the game. But the knock on effect is that starting out becomes stupidly hard, and that will need some rebalancing as well. You simply cannot start half starved any more if food becomes more difficult to find.

But TBH, I think the loot economy needs a complete overhaul on a really deep level.

I know I keep harping on about Namalsk, but that is a map that has taken numerous steps in the right direction for me. Food on that map is important and there have been a few times where I have had to come out of the wild, as it were, to try and pick up some much needed items in more populated and, arguably, more dangerous areas. On Chernarus, however, I can live quite happily without ever having to step foot in any of the major population zones. In fact, I rarely bother going to Electro or Chernogorsk at all. I have no reason to, other than to shoot a few Pew Pew Merchants.

The Pistol silencer when equiped it blocks part of the aim on many type of pistols which is not a proper design compare to real life. I hope Dayz team developer look into it until next major Dayz update with the pistol silencer after 1.12. @Kyiara

56 minutes ago, Nebulae3 said:

The Pistol silencer when equiped it blocks part of the aim on many type of pistols which is not a proper design compare to real life. I hope Dayz team developer look into it until next major Dayz update with the pistol silencer after 1.12. @Kyiara

Why? That's an issue that happens IRL too, but IRL you can find different size silencers and different sight attachments.
Seems realistic to me, I don't want it to get changed. Some guns had to be designed with taller sights to offset the silencer height, like the FNX45 (top left image):

7181-VGKRRL._AC_SL1181_.jpg5B90ABDA-4C4D-4309-A4D6-DEDE19321DD0.jpeg

Notice the tall sights on the left image. They are designed with silencers in mind.
Notice the silencers obscuring iron sights on the right image (most notably the Glock on the left and M9 of sorts on the right)

I wouldn't mind if there was a rare variant of pistol suppressor that was different, so that it blocks less of the vision (bottom left image).
Suppressor attachments also seem to exist (image on bottom right), but IDK how good or bad those are.

9_osprey_2048x2048.jpgalphadogsights.jpg

Edited by DefectiveWater
  • Like 2

My thoughts on gun sound ranges:

308 WIN and 7.62x54mmR = 3500m  / suppressed = 1500m / improvised suppressor = 2000m

7.62x39, 5.45x39, 5.56x45 = 2800m    / suppressed = 1200m / improvised = 1600

Buckshot, Slugs = 2100m

.357 = 1750m                                           / suppressed = 750m / improvised = 1000m

.45 ACP, .380, 9x19 = 1500m                 / suppressed = 400m / improvised = 850m

Rubber Slugs = 1250m

9x39 = 500m

.22 from sporter = 1100m                     / suppressed = 200m / improvised = 600m

.22 from MK II = 100m

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, EzyStriderPS4 said:

My thoughts on gun sound ranges:

308 WIN and 7.62x54mmR = 3500m  / suppressed = 1500m / improvised suppressor = 2000m

7.62x39, 5.45x39, 5.56x45 = 2800m    / suppressed = 1200m / improvised = 1600

Buckshot, Slugs = 2100m

.357 = 1750m                                           / suppressed = 750m / improvised = 1000m

.45 ACP, .380, 9x19 = 1500m                 / suppressed = 400m / improvised = 850m

Rubber Slugs = 1250m

9x39 = 500m

.22 from sporter = 1100m                     / suppressed = 200m / improvised = 600m

.22 from MK II = 100m

Are these values for gameplay's sake? 

Otherwise im not sure its realistic..

A .22 is a .22 no matter where you put it in. 

6 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

Your base is just a flimsy building that will be found and raided/destroyed. Your car is a mildly distracting time waster. None of these are milestones or achievements in the game. The only achievement anyone can speak of is how long their toon survives.

See, this just feels like giving up on the concept of the game. This idea is just saying "There's no good way to balance these things, so they don't really matter, so don't bother with them. Just stay alive."

With the time investment it takes to get these things up and running, these features, with this idea in mind, are functionally worthless. They are supposed to enrich the existence of your character, your squad, your life within the wasteland.  So why even bother having them in the game? The idea that your "toon" has developed a home, an existence, carved out a slice of life within the apocalypse that they have to FIGHT for, that they have valuable resources like a car, or that if you decide to lone wolf it, your existence is that much more difficult. None of these things should be permenant, and the specter of loss should always be hovering over your head, but when the meta is such that it doesn't even encourage engaging with them, it cheapens the entire experience as a whole. The entire experience shouldn't be driven by the loot economy, it should be driven by the value of your character's life. 

DayZ has all of these cool extra features that no one even bothers with because they aren't balanced or useful in any meaningful way. 

Edited by thepoey

5 hours ago, thepoey said:

See, this just feels like giving up on the concept of the game.

The concept of the game has always been to survive as long as you can.

It was never about making bases or cars.