Kyiara

Experimental Update 1.12 (Changelog)

2 minutes ago, 'AZAZEL' said:

will just start using MK II to one tap them instead.

Erm...yeah, and thats exactly the point of the tweak, to make players shoot infected instead of meleeing them. 

6 minutes ago, 'AZAZEL' said:

trap them into a shed or something

That is another and separate problem, with no easy solution. I hope they will find a way to fix it too soon

Just now, fl1y said:

Erm...yeah, and thats exactly the point of the tweak, to make players shoot infected instead of meleeing them.

But why? Why kill diversity and options? Instead of having the option to go melee or use guns against them, now you are forced to use guns only unless you want a beating... way easier to kill zeds from a distance with a silenced pistol too.

53 minutes ago, Kathosky said:

way to go is not to make them absurdly strong against the most powerful of the melee attacks to their heads, for example, of and axe, or pickaxe? What do you think?

I think it's easy to fantasize of realistic zombies that are dangerous because of how great the AI is. But unfortunately developers are limited with the engine and resources. I'm sure they would be happy to implement some other, more immersive way to deal with the problem, but they can't for now.
As for me, i think zs should be more of a "glass cannon" type, dealing a lot of damage (or bleeds) while dying rather fast (still not 1-2 light hits tho). Now you kinda have to shoot them because you feel lazy, not scared, and that's a bit boring.
Anyway, i see infected mostly as a way to make players hear each other presence, and thus making more encounters possible, so it's a step in the right direction. Turning infected into real threat would scare away too many players, especially new ones. I loved infected more before the bleeding chance fix. They seemed scary then, but i can see why it got changed.

Edited by fl1y
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, 'AZAZEL' said:

But why? Why kill diversity and options?

There was no diversity in 1.11 and earlier. You literally had zero reasons to shoot them, unless you just want to do it for fun. And the point of any game is to force players into making specific actions.
If you give players a choice of an op melee with no downsides, or shooting for fun at the cost of the risk of giving away position, 99% would go for melee.
Basically now you have more diversity: you can either shoot them or sneak and backstab them. Or even melee them one by one/two. BTW sledge hammer seems to be almost as effective as it used to be, you can use it at the cost of its weight.

Edited by fl1y
  • Thanks 1

Major issue with zombies in 1.11 and earlier was and is that there aren't enough of them. You can increase their numbers to three times the vanilla settings without decent servers melting. The only reason I can think of that they're set so low is because of the feeble specs of official servers. Even with the puny zed count official servers will struggle once population goes above 40...

Imo zombies should be scary because they are relentless and there's a lot of them. As I've said before they do climb through windows already where that is possible. So they're getting closer, next up they need to make them able to climb on top of cars and other obstacles a player can get on top of. Then for doors...

One thing I hate is infected being tanky for no other reason than "duh, balance", it is phony and boring. Have they increased the hp of splitting axes by four times now that we need to swing the axe four times as much to kill a zombie? No.

So revert the bleeding change, give them a little higher damage output, double their numbers - but remove the magic melee padding from their heads...

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Beans 1

On 4/18/2021 at 6:39 PM, DefectiveWater said:

Yeah... it's a known bug, and from what we know, it's not getting fixed soon either.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T146356 

Your report will probably be merged into this one, as it seems this is the main ticket for that issue. I also reported the same thing because it heavily affected my gameplay when a friend who was new to DayZ needed help during night time. I wanted to snipe the dude that was pointing his gun at him and yet I couldn't see anything when I aimed... pitch black... no light.

Imagine that, bringing a new friend to try out DayZ and the first 30 minutes are filled with nothing but bugs and issues... great way to lose new players.

well yeah they mark it as duplicate as you said .

i cant believe this bug is consist from patch 1.04 and still didnt get fixed 

this game is making me disappointed day by day

As I already said, increase the size of big melee weapons in the inventory (no more 2 handed axes in jackets or pants), and give them a proper damage buff. Make them strong but bulky and hard to carry in inventory.
And ideally restrict the contents of backpacks from being used on hotbar.

I still feel like zeds are way too OP during night time, I basically see nothing during night time and yet they somehow can pin point my location and aggro on me if I opened a door... (we still have yet to see if they added slow door opening that was suggested literally during the first week of the exp).

1.12 seems rushed, and I hope they already have plans for hotfixes if door state bug still exists (and balancing issues persist).

GUixbrg.png

- Taken from WOBO's video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yD0GANFSAQ

SKS seems to be the new king of x39 (CR is stronger, but it's bolt action), time to ditch the AKM that I have on EXP and go full yolo with SKS in elektro

Edited by DefectiveWater

27 minutes ago, Mosi2142 said:

well yeah they mark it as duplicate as you said .

i cant believe this bug is consist from patch 1.04 and still didnt get fixed 

this game is making me disappointed day by day

I feel you, night time in DayZ is extremely important part of the game, and yet lights are bugged (for so long... 1.04 was in 2019 ffs) so much that you can't even see somebody when you zoom in (it does that even with scopes on rifles...).

Edited by DefectiveWater

3 hours ago, fl1y said:

I think it's easy to fantasize of realistic zombies that are dangerous because of how great the AI is. But unfortunately developers are limited with the engine and resources. I'm sure they would be happy to implement some other, more immersive way to deal with the problem, but they can't for now.
As for me, i think zs should be more of a "glass cannon" type, dealing a lot of damage (or bleeds) while dying rather fast (still not 1-2 light hits tho). Now you kinda have to shoot them because you feel lazy, not scared, and that's a bit boring.
Anyway, i see infected mostly as a way to make players hear each other presence, and thus making more encounters possible, so it's a step in the right direction. Turning infected into real threat would scare away too many players, especially new ones. I loved infected more before the bleeding chance fix. They seemed scary then, but i can see why it got changed.

I also think that server and engine limitations play their role to limit our wishes and development of smart and dangerous zombies or whatever, but that damage reduction for the axe hit in the head... I don't think it should have been done for that reason, or any other reason. Just please make powerful melee weapons powerful again.

1 hour ago, Derleth said:

One thing I hate is infected being tanky for no other reason than "duh, balance", it is phony and boring. Have they increased the hp of splitting axes by four times now that we need to swing the axe four times as much to kill a zombie? No.

So revert the bleeding change, give them a little higher damage output, double their numbers - but remove the magic melee padding from their heads...

Exactly this.

47 minutes ago, Kathosky said:

Exactly this.

Can you please explain your thought proccess and reasoning for these changes? Lets pretend the magic has happend, engine limitations have been delt with and now we have twice as many zombies that die to one or two hits.
Now every player carries a splitting axe, comes to the town, stands in the doorways of a house making 10 to 20 clicks to deal with a biger pack of zombies coming one by one. What would be the positive side, and how exactly would the game become more fun with that?

Edited by fl1y
  • Beans 1

38 minutes ago, fl1y said:

Can you please explain your thought proccess and reasoning for these changes? Lets pretend the magic has happend, engine limitations have been delt with and now we have twice as many zombies that die to one or two hits.
Now every player carries a splitting axe, comes to the town, stands in the doorways of a house making 10 to 20 clicks to deal with a biger pack of zombies coming one by one. What would be the positive side, and how exactly would the game become more fun with that?

good point, it all boils down to the fact that it's a game and that you can abuse game mechanics. too many zeds would be annoying as you wouldn't be able to loot towns without at least one aggroing on you, I feel like the current state is a good compromise, but I still would like to see a small damage buff to big melee weapons, and a nerf to fists. Or just make melee weapons more deadly vs players than zeds, but fists should be untouched.

4 hours ago, Derleth said:

Major issue with zombies in 1.11 and earlier was and is that there aren't enough of them.

Bingo.

I'm on Spaggies Namalsk at the moment and there's a refugee camp in the centre of the map. It spawns around 20 or 25 infected (so I believe, I could be wrong) and you daren't aggro the bastards because they'll fuck you up big time.

I'd love to see a situation whereby there are large numbers of infected in towns and whatnot on Cherno. That would make things more interesting. But this nerf on melee weapons is the cheapest kind of "difficulty" that I can imagine. It's the absolute worst thing about video games though. A situation where "more bullets to kill something" means "harder". No...it's just a pain in the arse.

I want more situations where I am forced to take risks by shooting infected, rather than easily meleeing them without alerting anyone nearby to my presence. Having to shoot a pack of infected is fun but if you're smart from a survival perspective you avoid it because it attracts attention. So I want to be forced into these situations that are challenging and risky, so that I'm actually having to survive! This and remove the close infected behind a door or stand on car meta that kills any sense of fear of infected. When I first played DayZ during its Alpha release I was actually intimated by them (partly due to being a noob, but also the difficulty). Make me fear the infected as a legitimate risk, and not just a nuisance to be disposed of quietly while collecting loot.

Edited by GamerWarrior2000
  • Beans 1

you guys fixed vehicles yet?

I guess not. Skipping a third update. Arma 4 should be quite a cliffhanger every time you intend to use a vehicle.

Edited by THEGordonFreeman
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

I guess not. Skipping a third update. Arma 4 should be quite a cliffhanger every time you intend to use a vehicle.

they can’t even figure out what kind of game they actually want to have for 8 years already, you didn’t really expected them to make something like a working vehicles in only a few updates? /s

16 minutes ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

Works more or less fine here on PC, on a server that uses good hardware ... assuming of course that you also have a low ping to the server.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Joe Scrub said:

@Kyiara @ImpulZ Why is this update going to stable despite all the balancing issues still outstanding?

I don't see the point in having experimental if you rush it to stable and ignore the testing people take the time to do and then put in detailed tickets for. Very, very frustrating.

Infected are stupid hard to kill in melee, ignored - https://feedback.bistudio.com/T157619
Unbalanced melee, acknowledged but then left as it is to go to stable - https://feedback.bistudio.com/T157673
Broken fist damage & shock, unacknowledged - https://feedback.bistudio.com/T157837

All three of the issues above are just as significant as the unbalanced armour values, but because no content creators are moaning about it to the DayZ Twitter account do they go ignored.
Just one example:
A SPLITTING AXE now does the SAME DAMAGE as a heavy PUNCH (but for some reason does 25 shock) and takes 4 swings to an infected's HEAD to kill it... Why?

Now we got some real survival for once. No longer can you quietly axe your way through what should be deadly powerful monsters. You must utilize stealth and fleeing when you are not prepared to take on group of infected. You must adequately prepare ammunition to dispose of hoards of infected, rather than whacking them all to death one by one like you're the hulk. You thought you were superman, and the devs now make it clear you are not. You are just a Scrub in a world much much bigger than you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GamerWarrior2000 said:

Now we got some real survival for once. No longer can you quietly axe your way through what should be deadly powerful monsters. You must utilize stealth and fleeing when you are not prepared to take on group of infected. You must adequately prepare ammunition to dispose of hoards of infected, rather than whacking them all to death one by one like you're the hulk. You thought you were superman, and the devs now make it clear you are not. You are just a Scrub in a world much much bigger than you.

Or you can just crouch walk behind them and one shot them with a sharpened potato. Because at the same time you're a ninja that hits the one super fatal spot every single time with anything in your hand. 

Really? You sure, you want to stick to the narrative of deadly powerful monsters? Because it makes zero sense to have them be tough front facing and then have it nullified by this absolutely bullshit arcade stuff. I'm surprised that the weak spot is not glowing as you approach them from behind. 

It would, however; make more sense to have the two handed melee weapons still do significant damage, even be capable of one shotting them, but because they are tough and more alert now that is what is causing you to be much more aware of them and you still do not want to pick on even two of them at a time, because you know that if your swing does not land well, you're in trouble. And it makes no difference if you go face on or sneak behind, your damage is still the same. You only get the advantage that by sneaking from behind they will not have the chance to alert others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Beans 1

11 hours ago, fl1y said:

If nothing else changed. But since their attack speed has increased and they don't stagger anymore from light attacks that is simply not as effective a strategy anymore. Standing in that doorway you soon have too many bleeds to carry on (I know, I play servers with drastically increased zed numbers), plus I have noticed they have a tendency to dodge past and scratch you in the back. There is no "engine limitation", you can increase zombie numbers without problems. Besides, I'm fine with needing two head hits with a light attack to kill a zed, but a strong attack to the head with a huge, heavy melee weapon should be a one tap. Anything else is pure arcade, it simply pisses me off. You can't go on doing strong swings so there is no way to cheese them there.

Edited by Derleth

17 hours ago, Joe Scrub said:

@Kyiara @ImpulZ Why is this update going to stable despite all the balancing issues still outstanding?

I don't see the point in having experimental if you rush it to stable and ignore the testing people take the time to do and then put in detailed tickets for. Very, very frustrating.

Infected are stupid hard to kill in melee, ignored - https://feedback.bistudio.com/T157619
Unbalanced melee, acknowledged but then left as it is to go to stable - https://feedback.bistudio.com/T157673
Broken fist damage & shock, unacknowledged - https://feedback.bistudio.com/T157837

All three of the issues above are just as significant as the unbalanced armour values, but because no content creators are moaning about it to the DayZ Twitter account do they go ignored.
Just one example:
A SPLITTING AXE now does the SAME DAMAGE as a heavy PUNCH (but for some reason does 25 shock) and takes 4 swings to an infected's HEAD to kill it... Why?

Thank you for the feedback. See the last ticket as acknowledged as well, I've brought it to our designers attention.

This update sees a gigantic re-balancing of combat in melee and ranged, against players and infected. We're trying to balance countless weapons causing shock, damage and bleeding, while considering their accuracy, need for maintenance, and rarity (+ countless other values). It is normal that not everything is perfect, and we will probably need way longer to get it to feel right than the usual Experimental period allows.There is also a problem with players not actually playing the Experimental. Our feedback channels are often spammed by players who watched videos analyzing numbers by others (sometimes of already outdated Experimental builds) without even playing themselves, so running through all feedback can take quite a bit. That said, the balancing of combat elements in DayZ does not stop with the release of 1.12. Further updates will happen, and when something seems unfitting, we will tackle it - if not as an addition to a hotfix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The infected should be able to be killed by a Firefighter/splitting or pickaxe to the face. Maybe the sledgehammer too. It would make sense (if a good landed headshot) No organism in the world would go on with what it was doing if that hit him in the face. 

It would make the value of those items go up and therefore their presence in the world should be lowered. You would be clapping in your hands if you come across such a melee weapon. Like we did in earlier updates. Everyone was looking for a Firefighter axe. 

Slicing weapons should only one hit kill from behind in the Sweet spot. A knife takedown if you Will.

Apart from that crouching and crawling should be awarded more. There needs to be way more unawareness from infected if you slow down. This should definetly be the case at Night. You should go want to go looting and Night (obviously with decent working and rendering light sources) 

The amount of infected needs to increase. Difficulty would increase, yes. So? Whats wrong with being able to take on a group of infected by standing in a doorway? Also makes sense you are covered by walls. Making the infected being able to bash down Doors and Windows (like they said would be possible 5 yrs ago) will nullify that advantage. 

Also dont forget if you are taking on a group of infected it will lower your awareness and increases other players awareness of you in that town/city.

Tldr: the infected should NOT be powerfull or tanky. They should be with more and maybe more chance of infection. That Will make you think twice about tanking infected hits.

Edited by McWendy
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, William Sternritter said:

Or you can just crouch walk behind them and one shot them with a sharpened potato. Because at the same time you're a ninja that hits the one super fatal spot every single time with anything in your hand. 

Really? You sure, you want to stick to the narrative of deadly powerful monsters? Because it makes zero sense to have them be tough front facing and then have it nullified by this absolutely bullshit arcade stuff. I'm surprised that the weak spot is not glowing as you approach them from behind. 

It would, however; make more sense to have the two handed melee weapons still do significant damage, even be capable of one shotting them, but because they are tough and more alert now that is what is causing you to be much more aware of them and you still do not want to pick on even two of them at a time, because you know that if your swing does not land well, you're in trouble. And it makes no difference if you go face on or sneak behind, your damage is still the same. You only get the advantage that by sneaking from behind they will not have the chance to alert others. 

You underestimate the power of the potato.