Tom_48_97

DayZ on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S

There’s a lot of excitement and anticipation around the release of the new Xbox Series X/S and PlayStation 5. That’s why we’re thrilled to announce that DayZ and DayZ Livonia will be fully playable on both via backward compatibility.

If you own a digital license, the game will be available for download directly from your PlayStation Network or Xbox Live account. You’ll be able to access the game from the Ready to Install section of your Xbox Series X/S, and the Library section on PlayStation 5. Since the savegame is entirely server-side, you’ll be able to jump back into the game exactly where you left off.

Furthermore, the game’s price and availability will remain the same on the old and new generation of consoles. This includes both old and newly acquired licenses.

When it comes to performance, we are still conducting some internal testing, as the results can vary depending on the environment, as well as the player count, base building objects, loot in proximity, or the server performance. However, the first results clearly indicate improvements in general performance (e.g., more steady framerate), in most of the basic scenarios (e.g., roaming a non-crowded area).

To sum up:

The game will run on the new generation of consoles via backward compatibility mode

The same license is valid for both generations

Availability and price of DayZ won’t change

Game progress is linked to your Xbox Live and PlayStation Network accounts, and will remain the same across both generations

Xbox One players are playing with Xbox Series X|S players, the server pool is the same for both. Like Xbox, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 players are playing together.

Important note:

Owners of a physical copy of DayZ won't be able to use their disc on a console that doesn't have a disc drive/reader.

• Beans 2

That's a good reassurance, thanks for that Julien. DayZ 1.10 Experimental will be the very first game I'll fire up on my new One X this Wednesday :)

I'm wondering if DayZ will benefit from being played on next gen consoles in regard to some of the performance issues including lag.  That would be a big step in the right direction.  

Any plans to release an enhanced version to really take advantage of the horsepower available from the PS5 and XBX?    

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RaptorM60 said:

That's a good reassurance, thanks for that Julien. DayZ 1.10 Experimental will be the very first game I'll fire up on my new One X this Wednesday 🙂

Edited by Browski

21 hours ago, Chris Maughan said:

Question is .. will ps4 be able to play with ps5 

Per the official Playstation Blog:

How does online multiplayer work with PS4 games when played on a PS5?

Whether you’re playing a multiplayer PS4 game on your PS4 or PS5 (via backward compatibility), you will be able to play with other players on either console for the same game.

......so yeah, it looks like you can but when playing with someone who is playing the PS5 version of the same game, it gets a little trickier:

If I’m playing a PS4 game, can I play with my friend who is playing the PS5 version of that game, or vice-versa?

It is possible to play together depending on the game, though support must be provided by the game’s developer.

......and some more related info:

Can PS4 and PS5 players communicate via voice chat?

Yes, PS4 and PS5 players (and users of the new PlayStation app for mobile devices) can communicate via voice chat in Parties. Depending on the game, in-game chat will also work across PS4 and PS5 versions of a game.

How will game invites work between the PS4 and PS5?

Players will be able to send and receive invitations for games that support cross-gen play across the PS4 and PS5. Once the PS5 launches, if you receive an invitation to join a game session, the notification will display which platform the game supports. If a PS5 game does not have a PS4 version available, PS4 players will not receive the invite.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/?fbclid=IwAR0q0WQVsytmR7Ud5yQYa7DMQeBcWIMWWsIdhFBBNrcadqhuzGimAShd5GM

Edited by Kean__1

Great to hear. Will the frame rate be increased because of this? I was always playing on a one x at 30fps 4K. Would definitely be nice to see that bumped up to 60:)

On 11/10/2020 at 1:49 PM, garebearpcb said:

Great to hear. Will the frame rate be increased because of this? I was always playing on a one x at 30fps 4K. Would definitely be nice to see that bumped up to 60:)

I too would like to see the FPS cap increased as well, seen PUBG go from 30 to 60 was the greatest thing ever.

I just played DayZ on my new Xbox Series X and the game seems to be running much better with higher frame rates and better controller responsiveness. The game looks and plays like a better version of DayZ compared to my old Xbox One X play time.  I would be interested to hear from the developers on the improved performance they are experiencing with the DayZ game on the new Xbox Series X and S consoles.

Bonjour à tous je voulait savoir si il y aurat une nouvelle mise à jour dayz sur PlayStation 4 

In addition to our previous announcement on DayZ on the next-gen, we would like to add a couple more points for clear understanding:

• Owners of a physical copy of DayZ won't be able to use their disc on a console that doesn't have a disc drive/reader.
  • Players on the Xbox Series will play on the same servers as users on the Xbox One do.
  • Players on the PlayStation 5 will play on the same servers as users on the PlayStation 4 do.

When it comes to performance, we are still conducting some internal testing, as the results can vary depending on the environment, as well as the player count, base building objects or loot in proximity, or the server performance. However, the first results clearly indicate improvements in general performance (e.g., more steady framerate), in most of the basic scenarios (e.g., roaming a non-crowded area).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I'm buying a PS5 when it is released this week in Europe. And am buying one specifically because of Dayz, believe it or not, with the potential of increased frame rates (60fps) is what I am most eager to experience. 

Of course, I am also going to buy BI's other game Vigor when it is available. This is what 'next generation' means to me.       

1 hour ago, Elderflower said:

I'm buying a PS5 when it is released this week in Europe. And am buying one specifically because of Dayz, believe it or not, with the potential of increased frame rates (60fps) is what I am most eager to experience. 

Of course, I am also going to buy BI's other game Vigor when it is available. This is what 'next generation' means to me.       

I would temper your expectations so you don't set yourself up for disappointment.  The game isn't being optimized for it and as @SillyJoe posted, it appears the gains on XB don't translate to the PS5 at least in that particular scenario.  .....keeping in mind there could be other factors involved.  

Having said that, I'm not particularly discouraged by what i saw in Joe's post as some of these issues a good portion of us experience on PS4 aren't shared by all.  There isn't necessarily consistency in the occurrences of some problems, etc.  For example, I used to have the horrible issue of lag while driving that would cause crashes so I was forced to drive ~20KPH or risk trashing my car if one of these lag events occurred.  .....some lasting up to 15 seconds where everything would freeze.   

One day, after one of the updates, I discovered that the freezing issue was much better than it ever had been in the past.  I was routinely able to drive as fast as I could safely navigate the roads with few incidents.  They do still occur but are less frequent and the duration is just a second or less most times.  ......with rare events being a little longer.  I have no explanation for this other than maybe  it might have been the fact that I had upgraded to an external SSD on my PS4 around the same time.  My friend who plays with me on the same servers including my private one has the same, old issue of frequent freezes and lag while driving.  

I was hopeful too that DayZ might play better on the PS5 and I do hope that they (at some point in the near future) try to optimize the game to take advantage of the new hardware.  ....but my reason for buying a PS5 is far from just a better experience in DayZ.  My only point here is that I would hope for improvements but don't expect a lot.  

Also, good luck finding a PS5.  Everytime they're available here in the U.S. they sell out in less than 5 minutes it seems.  

On 11/16/2020 at 5:53 AM, Tom_48_97 said:

In addition to our previous announcement on DayZ on the next-gen, we would like to add a couple more points for clear understanding:

• Owners of a physical copy of DayZ won't be able to use their disc on a console that doesn't have a disc drive/reader.
  • Players on the Xbox Series will play on the same servers as users on the Xbox One do.
  • Players on the PlayStation 5 will play on the same servers as users on the PlayStation 4 do.

When it comes to performance, we are still conducting some internal testing, as the results can vary depending on the environment, as well as the player count, base building objects or loot in proximity, or the server performance. However, the first results clearly indicate improvements in general performance (e.g., more steady framerate), in most of the basic scenarios (e.g., roaming a non-crowded area).

Thanks for the update. 

I really hope you folks are able to optimize DayZ for the PS5 (in my case) sometime in the near future.  I'd really like to see this game finally run the way it was intended.  I'm crossing my fingers there are some appreciable improvements to the performance of the game when I finally get my hands on a PS5 and try it out for the first time.  

Yes, I am hoping framerate for the new Xbox Series Consoles will be better and at least at 60FPS.  I stopped playing on my Xbox One X console because of poor framerates and not being able to easily control the character.

I briefly did try DayZ on my new Xbox Series X and I initially am seeing better performance.  However I need to play on more crowded servers to get a better overall impression.

If the frame rate and controller responsiveness is improved on the newer consoles I will be playing more and encouraging friends to also join me.

@Tom_48_97

Dear devs,

Thank you for testing the game on the new consoles.

I tried Dayz on ps5 and it looks like the game is still capped at 30fps. I've seen dayz livestreams on xbox series X and it clearly looks like 60fps. Maybe the reason is that it was capped at 30 on the ps4 and 60 on the xbox one and that at this moment it's just pure backward compatibility for both next gens.

The game on ps5 runs without the massive fps drops that we had on ps4 (down to 1 or 2 fps literally) when the game was asking for processing power (automatic firearms, bodies full of loot, big cities, massive bases...). I tried playing in a big gunfight in Topolin and it stills runs 'smooth' at 30 fps whereas it was almost impossible to aim on ps4 in this situation.

My question is do you plan to optimize the game for the next gen consoles? Or at least set maxfps to 60 for the ps5? Or do nothing, like pure backward compatibility?

This is quite important for my future purchases I would really appreciate a reply thank you very much.

@beya2,

That's good to hear.  As for an enhanced version of DayZ on PS5, I doubt it although it would be a good opportunity for them to make more money so there is an incentive for them to do it.  I'm just glad to hear it's running smoother on the new gen consoles.  I'm even ok with 30 FPS if that means the lag issue(s) is essentially non-existent now.

@Kean__1

Not a new enhanced version of course but little adjustments like max fps or rendering distance. I mean it's just a few code lines and it could be a gamechanger. 

32 minutes ago, beya2 said:

@Kean__1

Not a new enhanced version of course but little adjustments like max fps or rendering distance. I mean it's just a few code lines and it could be a gamechanger. 

I have no idea what's involved but they do have the option to optimize the PS4 version to support the Game Boost features on the PS5.  .....similar to how some titles used the PS4 Pro enhancements option for better graphics, faster frame rates and so on.  ....so yeah, that would be nice to see especially if they don't have plans for a full blown optimized PS5 version in the future.

Of course, all of this is dependent upon the developer.  The tools are there so it's up to them what they take advantage of to improve their game.  Seems to me that they were simply concerned about making DayZ backward compatible and not necessarily taking advantage of the opportunity to improve the game much more beyond that for PS5 customers. I'm really hoping that's just a temporary, stopgap decision to make sure DayZ fans can at least still enjoy the game on PS5 and not the end of their plans for improving it on the new gen console(s).  ....otherwise we'll be stuck with what runs on PS4 so we're not likely to see the implementation of helicopters, etc. until they actually deliver a PS5 optimized version.

I hope they release it on ps5 otherwise I will be very upset(☹️

Edited by SusanDarwin

On 11/24/2020 at 12:57 PM, SusanDarwin said:

I hope they release it on ps5 otherwise I will be very upset(☹️

Not sure what you mean by that.  It's already playable on PS5 via backward compatibility.  .....unless you mean a PS5 specific version of the game which I doubt would ever come to fruition since it will split the player base further.  ....among other reasons.  I do hope they a least take advantage of some of the enhancement capabilities through the backward compatibility feature though.  They can still tweak it to run even better on PS5.