DoctorScandalous

Smaller Shovel/Trowel?

Seems like (given that "farming is a thing") there should be an item like a trowel or a small hand shovel (that isn't militarized) that should be a commonly spawning item that would allow you (at a much slower speed) to be able to dig up/bury stashes, do basic farming, etc. I mean, there's tons of variety of knives and axes in various sizes but the shovel only gets one option, two if you consider the pickaxe to be comparable... but they're both huge.

Has there been discussion on this point that I missed? 

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

17 hours ago, DoctorScandalous said:

Seems like (given that "farming is a thing") there should be an item like a trowel or a small hand shovel (that isn't militarized) that should be a commonly spawning item that would allow you (at a much slower speed) to be able to dig up/bury stashes, do basic farming, etc. I mean, there's tons of variety of knives and axes in various sizes but the shovel only gets one option, two if you consider the pickaxe to be comparable... but they're both huge.

Has there been discussion on this point that I missed? 

At least the possibility to saw off the handle and thus voila, short shovel. Though I think a compact military shovel was teased ages ago ... 

Even the animations of those big melee weapons could use a new one. Very annoying having a pickaxe cross your screen whilst running. 

A military shovel could be a Nice addition as military loot. 

The one i had in the military was foldable and had different edges; blade and Saw. Perfect tool if you ask me. 4 in one

Edited by McWendy
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

There used to be a field shovel in the game just like an ice axe which was the smaller version of the shovel and the pickaxe. I think both weapons are ready but I think the developers forgot to add them to the loot table. I can remember a patch post where both weapons are mentioned of being added but the types.xml hasn't been changed yet, I guess they forgot to do that.

Edited by IMT

I mean, I'm never a fan of adding military stuff to this game in general but given the existence of limited military presence (outposts, airfields, etc) I don't think a compact "trench shovel" would be rediculous. But I think that a smaller civilian gardening tool would make a lot more sense.

• Beans 1

14 hours ago, DoctorScandalous said:

I mean, I'm never a fan of adding military stuff to this game in general but given the existence of limited military presence (outposts, airfields, etc) I don't think a compact "trench shovel" would be rediculous. But I think that a smaller civilian gardening tool would make a lot more sense.

Why not all? 🙂 You could saw off regular shovel, this is not uncommon in civilian life. Or have a small gardening shovel and a top tier jack of all trades military version that can act as a cutting and sawing tool as well.

One of the aspects I love about this game is that you're all good with civilian loot but it also does make sense to look for military stuff, if you feel like it.

I certainly think this would be a worth introduction to the game (both the civilian hand trowel and the military folding shovel). Considering the shovel can't be repaired and is relatively rare in terms of popular loot spawn locations. Surely it would be just adjusting the output of the item. ie. The hand trowel only creates a single space garden bed per use instead of the usual 3x3 plot, and when burying/digging up items it takes twice as long. A repair function would be great with duct tape for broken handle or sharpening stone for the bladed end.

On 11/15/2019 at 3:42 PM, IMT said:

There used to be a field shovel in the game just like an ice axe which was the smaller version of the shovel and the pickaxe. I think both weapons are ready but I think the developers forgot to add them to the loot table. I can remember a patch post where both weapons are mentioned of being added but the types.xml hasn't been changed yet, I guess they forgot to do that.

Yeah, I remember this, way back. I've seen the ice axe in community servers (though not in a long time) but never saw the shovel so maybe there were issues. But I'd certainly like a small trench shovel you could attach to certain back packs.