ReloTuff Playz

Anti server hopping abuse

It doesn’t work, when I first played with the new thing where you spawn random places if you switch servers it surprised me. I was at the military camp after the dam near electro and when I switched servers it teleported me to a different military base with a dirt airfield. I looted that up as well then tried it again. This time I spawned at northeast airfield and I looted it again. The third time, I spawned at bor and headed to Pavlov military base where on the way I found a downed helicopter(field backpack and sks and a bunch of attachments) and then I went to the military base. This is where I am now. Do you guys like the new update or nah?

I think the idea is good but the current displacement is so distant and random that it serves as a teleport around the map and goes against the core ideas of survival in DayZ. They should narrow it down to a certain diameter around your original location. The idea is to prevent phasing into player built structures it can never really prevent you to loot a military base on another server. But currently it can get you away from a fight or if you just get bored and want to move elsewhere. 

I still server hop to avoid night-time.

I have grown accustomed now to being dropped somewhere random, and since I always play alone I can do it whenever I feel like it.

It has actually added a bit of an extra element to the game for me, wondering where I will end up next.

3 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

I think the idea is good but the current displacement is so distant and random that it serves as a teleport around the map and goes against the core ideas of survival in DayZ. They should narrow it down to a certain diameter around your original location. The idea is to prevent phasing into player built structures it can never really prevent you to loot a military base on another server. But currently it can get you away from a fight or if you just get bored and want to move elsewhere. 

Great, you got lucky - that is not the usual case.

EoD lol.

Idk, it worked against me the other night.  I spawned into a location that was obviously cleared out and my character was getting thirsty.  The closest water pump on the map was pretty far so I just hopped servers thinking this was the easiest move.  Well nothing is easy in my Dayz world, I spawned somewhere in the woods.  Now lost I had to run around searching just to find a town and by the time I did find one my character was literally dying from thirst.  I FOUND NOTHING!  Before I could just bounce around servers until the town I was in had something to drink, but now the idea of changing servers....  Well this particular night I thought suicide was a the better option. 

11 hours ago, Survivor-Ajax said:

Idk, it worked against me the other night.  I spawned into a location that was obviously cleared out and my character was getting thirsty.  The closest water pump on the map was pretty far so I just hopped servers thinking this was the easiest move.  Well nothing is easy in my Dayz world, I spawned somewhere in the woods.  Now lost I had to run around searching just to find a town and by the time I did find one my character was literally dying from thirst.  I FOUND NOTHING!  Before I could just bounce around servers until the town I was in had something to drink, but now the idea of changing servers....  Well this particular night I thought suicide was a the better option. 

You could have just server hopped again a few times to spawn in a favorable location 😉 And that is exactly the problem. Don't like where you are? Just hop a few times and move on. 

Shake your head all you want, the mechanic is badly implemented and actually exploitable or at least prone to misuse. I did it yesterday on purpose, got much closer to where I needed to be and "traveled" 12Km without any hassle. Saying I got lucky doesn't change the fact.

Edited by William Sternritter

On 9/19/2019 at 2:52 PM, William Sternritter said:

Saying I got lucky doesn't change the fact.

Okay, lets then say that you are abusing the system, would that make it any different?

The vast majority of us stay on the server/servers we play on and don't try to abuse game-mechanics that are meant for one thing to disable other aspects of the game.

Edited by Jonas Levin

@Jonas Levin what kind of argument is this supposed to be? The system is badly designed and needs fixing. It goes against the core game mechanics and in some cases in completely fails to prevent the problem it should solve.

Moreover, with the state od DayZ servers, you can be "punished" for server hopping that you did not intend. 

@William Sternritter On that point we will just have to agree to disagree.

Personally I think its a great system.

And any system can be abused, that does not make it okay just because it is possible.

Take the rampant duping in 1.03 as a case-study. 🙂

@Jonas Levin Well, I think all it needs is a bit of tweaking to make the displacement not so excessive that it can be abused, but also I don't see it as a pressing issue at the moment 🙂

Edited by William Sternritter

On 9/16/2019 at 10:18 AM, Duck Solo said:

I still server hop to avoid night-time.

I have grown accustomed now to being dropped somewhere random, and since I always play alone I can do it whenever I feel like it.

It has actually added a bit of an extra element to the game for me, wondering where I will end up next.

You talk about it "adding a bit of an extra element to the game", when NIGHT TIME is an element of the game that you desperately try to avoid.  Interesting.

4 hours ago, Stagman70 said:

You talk about it "adding a bit of an extra element to the game", when NIGHT TIME is an element of the game that you desperately try to avoid.  Interesting.

Nice point.

Personally I love night-time, and some of the experiences I remember best have been during night where your overview of the situation is severely handicapped compared to normal.

I remember a weird conversation with an italian dude inside Pavlovo military base - I was trying to find the shed he was hiding in so I could throw a grenade in there, but it was just utter chaos and we both ended up laughing about the whole situation and leave each other be.

Another time me and two mates we traveling on the coast and we saw a group of players with flares or flashlights turned off further down on the train-tracks we were following.

Me and one of my comrades went prone on each side of the tracks and our third mate was supposed to flank around them and follow them and only open fire on them after me and my mate sprung the trap when they got close enough to us (and then they would be pushed back into him that was waiting if they tried to take a retreat or at least get caught between our 2 groups).

But the idiot who went behind them to flank for some really stupid reason decided to open fire on them when they were still 100-150 meters from where we were waiting for them to get into the kill-zone.

It ended up in a totally chaotic fight instead of a perfect trap (I still don't know why that idiot opened fire when our plan was clear as day, he was supposed to just follow and then mow them down if they tried to retreat) and ALL of us dies as it ended with just me and one of the others (we were 3, they were 4) traded and both went down.

Loved it. 🙂

6 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

@Jonas Levin Well, I think all it needs is a bit of tweaking to make the displacement not so excessive that it can be abused, but also I don't see it as a pressing issue at the moment 🙂

Personally I only had a half-lucky spawn-point when changing servers once (and I done it about 10 times).

I ended up about 500 meters from Balota mil-base at that time, but otherwise I tend to spawn waaay out in the woods with _no_ landmarks within sight or way up in Dobroe and places like that - definitively not places I would hope for.

10 minutes ago, Jonas Levin said:

Personally I only had a half-lucky spawn-point when changing servers once (and I done it about 10 times).

I ended up about 500 meters from Balota mil-base at that time, but otherwise I tend to spawn waaay out in the woods with _no_ landmarks within sight or way up in Dobroe and places like that - definitively not places I would hope for.

If your game is to hunt for military locations, this may not be as appealing to you. However; it acts as a literal teleport across the map which can get you out of sticky situations without need to pause playing and more importantly, completely negates the survival while doing so. For the purpose of defeating ghosting into player structures, this puts you so far away you may as well end up near another. And I don't think it should drop you near the coast either, if you're a bambi hunter, you run inland to gear up and then teleport back to the coast with no hassle. Oh and right now, as reported by other players as well, it has the tendency to spawn you around one area. So, even if you're traveling with friends you can all easily regroup. Tried and tested. 

Generally speaking the idea is so weirdly implemented it makes me thing that no one on the dev team actually tried it on a populated server and generally speaking, why did anyone think that moving you half way across the map is a good idea to begin with is beyond me. Coupled with the odd system of predetermined spawn points, it almost invites abuse. 

4 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

If your game is to hunt for military locations, this may not be as appealing to you. However; it acts as a literal teleport across the map which can get you out of sticky situations without need to pause playing and more importantly, completely negates the survival while doing so. For the purpose of defeating ghosting into player structures, this puts you so far away you may as well end up near another. And I don't think it should drop you near the coast either, if you're a bambi hunter, you run inland to gear up and then teleport back to the coast with no hassle. Oh and right now, as reported by other players as well, it has the tendency to spawn you around one area. So, even if you're traveling with friends you can all easily regroup. Tried and tested. 

Generally speaking the idea is so weirdly implemented it makes me thing that no one on the dev team actually tried it on a populated server and generally speaking, why did anyone think that moving you half way across the map is a good idea to begin with is beyond me. Coupled with the odd system of predetermined spawn points, it almost invites abuse. 

On the few occasions I've changed servers or had always spawned me in different parts of the map, North and south

All I can say is that its very nice not having to worry about people ghosting in behind you anymore.

I've had that happen on several occasions and it SUCKS.

Once I had a sniper-battle between the cranes at Lumber mill - I tag the guy once and im not sure if he is dead, uncon or just retreated into the inner part of the crane to heal.

About 3 minutes later he spawns in behind me in my crane and full-auto me in the back - he had used that time to jump to another server, run to my crane and position himself and then jump back to the server I was on.

Everything to combat that.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jonas Levin said:

All I can say is that its very nice not having to worry about people ghosting in behind you anymore.

I've had that happen on several occasions and it SUCKS.

Once I had a sniper-battle between the cranes at Lumber mill - I tag the guy once and im not sure if he is dead, uncon or just retreated into the inner part of the crane to heal.

About 3 minutes later he spawns in behind me in my crane and full-auto me in the back - he had used that time to jump to another server, run to my crane and position himself and then jump back to the server I was on.

Everything to combat that.

My feelings are that as long as things like ^that^ and ghosting inside locked bases can't happen anymore, the server hopping mechanic is working perfectly.

• Like 3