Ich Bin Roger

Early game advice

For starters, I’m not a new player but I’m also not as experienced as many here. I’ve been decently far north and have gotten a few assault rifles but never have been heavily geared.

One issue I’ve always had with this game is hitting my stride, I suppose. Starting a new character after a death/wipe is exciting but also tends to be more frustrating than the death/wipe itself. 

What’s everyone’s strategy for a new character?

I’m not a “rush the nearest mil base” type of person. I like working my way up to good stuff and would rather get situated with some okay gear and food/water before heading north. That being said, my most hated issue with DayZ is feeling like I’m following someone’s footsteps and finding empty buildings for hours on end. Opinions on server hopping until you can get a decent start on loot? Head to the middle of the map sooner than later maybe? I seek out both larger towns and smaller villages alike but often find myself scavenging what little other miss or leave behind. 

Assorted thoughts and questions:

-Servers are annoyingly filled lately. I’m opposed to server hopping to reloot good areas but I justify doing it 1-3 times at the very beginning before I have anything to really start with. The queues are annoying.

-Well geared players on the coast is annoying. Running for 10 mins after spawn to a likely looted area, just to die to automatics and only to have to possibly repeat it again is a good way to kill the game for anyone.

-It seems that you no longer appear exactly where you logged out. How does this work exactly? I understand it could combat logging into player bases and I’m fine with it except when it’s night time and I struggle to determine my location.

Personally I like survivalist play style. Find some gear and head into the forest, setup a small camp and loot near by towns. Get a health amount of food/gear, play with crafting and head to mil bases when ready 😉 Can't wait for the bow!

I considered that playstyle when I researched the variety of things you can craft. Might make base building a little more viable.

You can try going a route less taken, less popular towns.. the loot spawns back pretty fast aswell. You should enjoy the moments of scarcity though, just work with what you can, if everything was handed to you right away it wouldn't be DayZ. The most interesting moments are when you don't have full control of the situation or have a wrench thrown into your plans, it gives you goals & objectives that you care about. I don't know how looted you have ever been, but most people who over value loot will get bored once they have all they want (sorta like real life) the game at that point doesn't offer any goals or challenges that are more important then your previous goals, so you get bored. The bumps and turns kind of make it interesting, I guess what im trying to say is it's about the journey not the destination. 

• Like 1

My strategy on a new character is almost always the same.

1. Where am I? Once I found out where I am I plan a route to the closest military base. Minus nwaf. Going there is pointless outside of PvP.

2. I try to hit hospitals, police stations, deer stands, feed shacks, and camp grounds/cabins while shotgunning everything along the way.

That was old me. New me doesn't even bother with public servers 🤣😂😅😜

I do what I want now.

• Beans 1

I definitely don’t expect to be fully kitted within a few hours, especially down south. However, when you find a whole town picked clean, head into the woods, and find small, hidden buildings that also have open doors and nothing to offer, it’s a little saddening. 

I imagine this becomes a bit less common as you head inland but I haven’t played enough to safely say it’s the case. Servers seem more filled and/or less plentiful than they were months ago, so more loot competition. 

Looted buildings are part of the game just like it would be in the real world.Its quite interesting to have to start worrying about water and food when you aren’t finding any.As for guns well you don’t really need them you just need the trusty knuckle dusters unless your looking for a fight 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr squizzer said:

.As for guns well you don’t really need them you just need the trusty knuckle dusters unless your looking for a fight 

Lol, all those guns you were carrying last night were just for show weren't they! Got my dusters ready for action! 

Edited by DayzDayzFanboy
  • Haha 2

I go to my favorite spot up north by tisy and find a berrel or craft crates. I fill each crate with a specific gun and its clips. Burry it in the forest and look for the next gun. Clothing and food as well. This takes time but it's worth it when you die. you'll be fully geared when you get back to your spot. Before the update i had multiple spots where I'd spend time collecting loot and burrying it.  I had north South east and west covered. That way dieing wasn't so bad. 

I always try and get a southern spawn then lurk the coastal boats for food and drink.  Then i head north to the power lines above cherno/prig/electro, follow them west to Zelengorsk.  I've found that is one of the most central areas for what ever you want to do be it hunt, pvp, mil loot, car parts.. ect. 

Edited by Seth Allen Smith
  • Like 1

Ow the times i looked at my character and went "well what is there to do anymore?" I'd better respawn. I got all i need, Sniper, full Tsso or gorka outfit, killed a few peeps, robbed some.... getting bored.

Respawn!!

The part where your character is fragile is the best bit.... 

And in the beginning; ow yes a school backpack!!

Yes! Rope! Now I can...... *insert*

Once the starting up bit becomes tedious for you then your playing the wrong game.

Make a route and pick up every single thing in town. Drop the trash. When you are back at the beginning, most spawns would have cycled new items and you can start over.

I find that small out of the way towns and buildings usually hold decent loot, never pass up the shotgun - easy to find, ammo is plentiful and it is deadly especially at close range, also grab the Mosin it is a great ranged weapon and i find it is overlooked a lot, the ammo can sometimes be a challenge to find though.  Never be scared to head inland sooner than later you can get a surprising distance on very minimal supplies and can usually find more loot to keep you going.  Just be wary of your surrounding when using the shotgun as the infected come at you full squad when they hear it!